✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Billboard: Coldplay Lands Fourth No. 1 on Top Rock Albums Chart

grids

'A Head Full of Dreams' debuts atop both Top Rock Albums and Alternative Albums.

coldplay-head-full-of-dreams-bb37-2015-billboard-650x650.jpg

A head full of dreams and a shelf full of No. 1s: Coldplay is on top again.

The band's seventh album A Head Full of Dreams rockets in at No. 1 on Billboard's Top Rock Albums and Alternative Albums charts (dated Dec. 26) with 195,000 copies sold in the week ending Dec. 10, according to Nielsen Music.

Dreams marks Coldplay's fourth No. 1 on both lists (since genre-specific rock album charts began in 2006), following 2008's Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends, 2011's Mylo Xyloto and 2014's Ghost Stories (which opened with 383,000). On Alternative Albums, Coldplay ties Nickelback for the most No. 1s, while on Top Rock Albums, Coldplay matches the mark for the second-most leaders, after Dave Matthews Band's five; Coldplay joins Bon Jovi, Bob Dylan, Jack Johnson, Linkin Park, John Mayer, Nickelback and Bruce Springsteen, each with four.

Coldplay also sends four debuts from the new album onto Hot Rock Songs, joining two tracks already on the chart. Lead radio single "Adventure of a Lifetime" lifts 5-3, while "Everglow," which debuted last week at No. 8, drops to No. 13. Beyonce collaboration "Hymn for the Weekend" starts at No. 20, followed by fellow new arrivals "Fun," featuring Tove Lo (No. 30), the title cut (No. 32), and "Army of One" (No. 34).

In other Top Rock Albums action, Bruce Springsteen's Ties That Bind: The River Collection debuts at No. 3 (19,000 sold). The four-CD, three-DVD box set encompasses the era surrounding Springsteen's 1980 album The River (the first of the Boss' 11 Billboard 200 No. 1s).

Meanwhile, Kid Cudi (yes, the rapper) makes his solo Top Rock Albums debut with his alternative set Speedin' Bullet 2 Heaven (No. 5, 14,000). It's not Cudi's first foray into rock: in 2012, he released WZRD, billed to his band of the same name. The album debuted at No. 1 on Top Rock Albums (with 66,000 sold in its first week).

Source

Listen to Hotline Bling (pop) and then ask yourself if AHFOD sounds similar

Corresponds mostly to XMTS, but AHFOD is pretty pop if you ask me.

I'm guessing it's right between rock and pop so they flipped a coin or something

I have a feeling they're just using the band's supposed "status;" Coldplay were "established" as a rock band so the media will forever consider them one, therefore if they cover Hotline Bling, the rock charts will be destroyed. Maybe that or the dude who edited this couldn't tell genres apart :lol:

• Like 2

And why is it on the ALTERNATIVE Charts ? It's mainstream as hell.

Mainstream with an alternative twist? The lyrics do not correspond to your average mainstream pop album... now those lyrics really take meaninglessness and degrading to a whole different level... Say what you will about chringey (my new favourite word!) lyrics in AHFOD, there is at least nothing degrading in there and everything is respectful

• Like 2

Mainstream with an alternative twist? The lyrics do not correspond to your average mainstream pop album... now those lyrics really take meaninglessness and degrading to a whole different level... Say what you will about chringey (my new favourite word!) lyrics in AHFOD, there is at least nothing degrading in there and everything is respectful

Hmmmmm that's an interesting one. Id say some of the songs on AHFOD are of mainstream pop level (not degrading, just cheesy) , others not. It shouldn't really be in the Rock charts though, there's nothing really rock about it.

• Like 1

AHFOD is not mainstream compared to well...mainstream LOL Its definitely still alt in my opinion, though definitely pop-ish. If I think of pure pop I am thinking Lady Gaga , Madonna, last Taylor Swift for example. So Coldplay are not that to me at all. I would call it "alt pop" hehe

The only tracks that come close to rock to my ears are the title track , the solos in Up&Up and a few seconds on Hymn when Jonny comes on hehe

What does mainstream even mean anymore :p isn't everything popular mainstream? These vague terms confuse me :D

To me mainstream means the first ten/twenty songs or albums on a chart or most played in the radio LOL I dont know...thats how I always thought of it hehe

What does mainstream even mean anymore lol. Isn't everything popular mainstream? These vague terms confuse me :D

to me coldplay has been mainstream at least since the popularity growth of a rush of blood.

• Like 1