✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Which keyboard does Jonny use?

Gastypm

It could be possible to multi sample every single note on all velocity levels on my MP9000, basically sample the patch, it's a lot of work but maybe when I have some more time I could try. Sample every sound of the keyboard would take a year haha!

I was just banging my head against my desk thinking the same thing. You could probably get away with 6-12 velocity levels instead of 127! But even then, you're right, that is a lot of time and patience. I'm thinking about practicing a bit with some other stuff I have. See if I can even make it work. I would totally ship you a box of cookies though! haha

In regards to your Fostex question, I haven't even seen one of those for sale ever! You currently have 8 mono outputs (4 stereo) ... If you don't mind my asking what do you need more for? The RME's are great but crazy expensive. You can get other interfaces from Presonus, Zoom, Behringer that all have ADAT outputs and you can hookup an ADDA converter and get more balanced stereo outs. My Presonus box can run 24 mono outs with 16 over ADAT at 44.1 KHz. And it sounds really good for my needs.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fostex-D2424-Digital-Multitrack-Recorder-/272239772365?nav=SEARCH

Presonus makes great units! :) but in terms of just outputs I think a Fostex, Alesis or Yamaha 24 track recorder is the cheapest way to go and seems to be reliable espacially Fostex.

I want to send all my multitracks to individual stereo outputs, this would take 14 mono outs or 7 stereo outs

clicktrack / percussion / synths / strings / bass sounds / extra guitars / backing vocals

@Xylobryte7

it does not matter if it's a rack or the keyboard itself, Coldplay's rack unit off the MP9000 is basically a keyboard without keys, they just removed the electronics from the keyboard and installed it in a rack unit, like they did with the custom 49 key MP9000, easier to carry arround.

You still have to sample the sounds if you want to play it from a software sampler instrument like Kontakt.

I dont think it will sound as good as the original unit but I can try to sample my MP9000.

I gotcha. Seems like a lot of work but I could purchase the samples from you if you want, if you do try to sample it. But by all means don't even bother if it's a difficult process, not worth the time lol

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fostex-D2424-Digital-Multitrack-Recorder-/272239772365?nav=SEARCH

Presonus makes great units! :) but in terms of just outputs I think a Fostex, Alesis or Yamaha 24 track recorder is the cheapest way to go and seems to be reliable espacially Fostex.

I want to send all my multitracks to individual stereo outputs, this would take 14 mono outs or 7 stereo outs

clicktrack / percussion / synths / strings / bass sounds / extra guitars / backing vocals

@Xylobryte7

it does not matter if it's a rack or the keyboard itself, Coldplay's rack unit off the MP9000 is basically a keyboard without keys, they just removed the electronics from the keyboard and installed it in a rack unit, like they did with the custom 49 key MP9000, easier to carry arround.

You still have to sample the sounds if you want to play it from a software sampler instrument like Kontakt.

I dont think it will sound as good as the original unit but I can try to sample my MP9000.

Dude! I thought you were dead!

Here is a picture of my Coldplay inspired rig.

I have a Kawai MP9000, Korg Triton Rack and Im thinking about getting a Muse Receptor with Kontakt, they seems to be really fast and reliable.

In my keyboard rack I have a Motu MIDI Timepiece so I can send multiple MIDI signals and then everything goes into a Motu 828 MK1 interface which Coldplay used during their X&Y tour. From there I split all my Keyboard sounds into individual stereo outputs that goes into the Behringer Eurorack Pro line mixer and from there into a DI box for PA.

When I record my keboard sounds and other things I record trough a RME Fireface 802 interface (the one that's not in the rack).

One MacBook Pro for controlling my keyboard sounds and one MacBook Pro for recording.

Then I use a pair of custom IEMs from UE, UE Pro 7 for listening.

The MP9000 has a sound called Studio Grand which is the piano sound Coldplay used 2002-2011 (mostly triggered from a Yamaha GT-20) and the Triton Rack has most of the X&Y sounds (Fix You organs) and a some stuff from A Rush Of Blood To The Head To.

There is an organ sound in the MP9000 to that Coldplay used on Politik, In My Place and Amsterdam.

I can upload a file where I demo all the sounds if someone wants to have a listen :)

Here is a test recording of The Scientist, where I recorded everything but the drums and bass.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjbakvh10ag6kc8/Scientist Instrumental.mp3?dl=0

Wait so do you use the Kawai mp9000 for a controller?

So the triton rack just comes with all of those sounds?

These are not factory presets, you can customize the samples/sounds that comes with the triton rack in combi mode, you can find out how to use combi mode if you download the manual.

Combi mode is basically a way to layer all the sounds from single mode together and adjust them the way you want :)

These are not factory presets, you can customize the samples that comes with the Triton Rack in combi mode, you can find out how to use combi mode if you download the pdf manual.

Combi mode is basically a way to layer all the sounds from single mode together and adjust them the way you want :)

Can you explain how to go about this?

Can you explain how to go about this?

If you have a triton rack or triton keyboard you can work with the different sounds, for example use combi mode and scroll trough all organ sounds and you will find one that sounds similar to Fix You and then you can edit it by choosing sounds from it's single mode library, you will notice which two samples was used for the organ in Fix You :) for me it took arround two weeks to get the sound exactly right and you will learn so much more by navigating yourself trough the device

All I would want would be the actual sound Chris Martin uses, but seems like a lot of work to be done lol

I think Chris has been using a real acoustic piano since Ghost Stories, think it was a Yamaha DYUS1E but it looks like they switched to a Kawai K300-ATX2 lately which they now uses for their AHFOD tour, I saw on their Instagram they actually had to tune it before a show.

http://www.kawaius.com/company/Coldplay_plays_Kawai.html

The piano sound I got is the one Chris used between 2001 and 2012.

Here is a link with me playing it: http://picosong.com/BvQ9/

I play a short snip of Amsterdam and later switched to my triton rack and played a little bit from Fix You.

Here is two links with Chris playing the old sound:

• Like 1

I think Chris has been using a real acoustic piano since Ghost Stories, think it was a Yamaha DYUS1E but it looks like they switched to a Kawai K300-ATX2 lately which they now uses for their AHFOD tour, I saw on their Instagram they actually had to tune it before a show.

I play a short snip of Amsterdam and later switched to my triton rack and played a little bit from Fix You.

Great investigation. Kawai has great piano sound for sure.

• 1 month later...

Hey Patrik, could you upload your demo again please? The dropbox link isn't working anymore. Thanks!

That seems legit. I knew Chris used Yamaha silent piano but not the real sound, it just triggered de MIDI signals into that custom rack that was previously mentioned in this post, but watching their Glastonbury performance it seemed weird to me that Chris had to do Everglow alone because the piano was "out of tune". Now all make sense.

• 3 months later...
Great work! Would love to have an MP9000 myself but they are impossible to find. I'd want to hear a demo of the sounds, be cool to hear straight from their sources.

Hi Xylobrite7, and everybody else: I am finally considering selling my trusty Kawai Mp 9500. The real thing, containing the original, besaid Coldplay piano sounds. Comes even with a custom made proper touring-proof flightcase. I have changed my personal setup, thanks to a new sponsor, and therefore might not use the Kawai anymore. It is in perfect condition, has NOT been on the road, but was sitting in my personal studio. Would be shipping from Germany. So if anyone is interested, drop me a line: [email protected]

I've always been curious how much of their sounds and samples, if any, are loaded into these keyboards. They've got the Muse Receptors in the keyboard racks and everything is hooked up via Midi. Maybe its more of a triplicate backup or something they can use in the warm-up rooms if necessary.

According to Jonny's tech, the band typically do run all their gear in triplicate wherever possible for redundancy.