✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Which keyboard does Jonny use?

Gastypm

Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I post anything here.

Anyway, now that we have a new era, we have new instruments that the band play live. I was wondering which is the keyboard Jonny plays live in songs like "Hymn For The Weekend", "Viva La Vida" or "Paradise"?

Seems like it's a Korg but I can find it anywhere. It's not a full size keyboard and it has wood on its sides.

Here's a screenshot from the Annie Mac show:

nW3pzRk.jpg

Hope someone can figure it out and thank you!

• Like 2

It's a Kawai MP9000 or MP9500

I think that's correct, but it seemed to me that the one on the image it's not a full size 88-key keyboard while the MP9000 is.

I've attached an image where you can see that Jonny's guitar it's shorter than the keyboard. Maybe it's a smaller model or a custom made for the band. Chris has been using a custom made MP9000 rack for the piano sound, so maybe they made a smaller one too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've always been curious how much of their sounds and samples, if any, are loaded into these keyboards. They've got the Muse Receptors in the keyboard racks and everything is hooked up via Midi. Maybe its more of a triplicate backup or something they can use in the warm-up rooms if necessary.

I'm pretty sure all of the samples are triggered in the Muse Receptors. The keyboards are purely used as Midi controllers. Even Chris' piano is just used for a midi controller. The kawai has proper weighted keys so will feel a lot different to most 48 key controller keyboards you can buy, plus it looks more substantial.

Even though the keyboards on stage are all only used as MIDI Controllers, the actual sound from Chris's piano is from the Kawai MP9000. They turned a MP9000 keyboard into a rack unit, and they trigger it through his stage piano. There's a video in here somewhere that shows their rack units for synths and piano sounds.

I use the Kawai Ex Pro VST plugin, and it sounds really similar to Chris's sound.

Even though the keyboards on stage are all only used as MIDI Controllers, the actual sound from Chris's piano is from the Kawai MP9000. They turned a MP9000 keyboard into a rack unit, and they trigger it through his stage piano. There's a video in here somewhere that shows their rack units for synths and piano sounds.

I use the Kawai Ex Pro VST plugin, and it sounds really similar to Chris's sound.

You're right about the MP9000 samples, but I think that applies from basically AROBTTH era through MX. Ghost Stories and onward, Chris ditched the Yamaha GT-20 and went with a silent acoustic upright. If you listen to Clocks, The Scientist, and other piano based songs, it definitely sounds like he is playing an acoustic piano (the sound isn't nearly as insanely bright as the MP9000 samples seemed to be), but he has the versatility of MIDI for Fix You, etc. I can't with 100% certainty confirm that this is the case, but I am pretty sure, otherwise he likely would have kept the GT-20s as they are lighter and more compact = better for touring instead of lugging a few 450 lbs acoustic uprights around the world.

You're right about the MP9000 samples, but I think that applies from basically AROBTTH era through MX. Ghost Stories and onward, Chris ditched the Yamaha GT-20 and went with a silent acoustic upright. If you listen to Clocks, The Scientist, and other piano based songs, it definitely sounds like he is playing an acoustic piano (the sound isn't nearly as insanely bright as the MP9000 samples seemed to be), but he has the versatility of MIDI for Fix You, etc. I can't with 100% certainty confirm that this is the case, but I am pretty sure, otherwise he likely would have kept the GT-20s as they are lighter and more compact = better for touring instead of lugging a few 450 lbs acoustic uprights around the world.

Though you might be correct, I think the main reason they stopped using the GT is because it was discontinued sometime ago and if their piano broke it would be really hard to find another one in good shape.

Though you might be correct, I think the main reason they stopped using the GT is because it was discontinued sometime ago and if their piano broke it would be really hard to find another one in good shape.

If he wanted to stick with the same technology but just newer models, he could have went for a Yamaha NU1 which is literally an updated GT20, or maybe a Kawai CS10.

Playback rig?

Miller's Rig is all about playback of backing tracks (typically synths and orchestral stuff the band can't play live) and providing the sounds for all the keyboards. So Jonny plays his keyboard and that data is sent here and triggers sounds from the green boxes. (Think Viva La Vida, Fix You Organ)

1.jpg

Here's another video where Miller is actually talking about one particular piece of the rig but he talks through some of the rest of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=fOQPKn7Vzv4;list=FLRrpqkxLQWkspxbyOjc4sVg

How would you go about installing custom piano sounds into a module or rack unit?

In simple terms you build your virtual instrument on a computer and then you stick the data on a flash drive or what-have-you and plug that into your rack unit, then configure the unit. (Coldplay uses the Muse Receptor) Then plug your piano or controller device into the rack unit and away you go!

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a picture of my Coldplay inspired rig.

I have a Kawai MP9000, Korg Triton Rack and Im thinking about getting a Muse Receptor with Kontakt, they seems to be really fast and reliable.

In my keyboard rack I have a Motu MIDI Timepiece so I can send multiple MIDI signals and then everything goes into a Motu 828 MK1 interface.

From there I split all my Keyboard sounds into individual stereo outputs that goes into the Behringer Eurorack Pro line mixer and from there into a DI box for PA.

When I record my keboard sounds and other things I record trough a RME Fireface 802 interface (the one that's not in the rack).

One MacBook Pro for controlling my keyboard sounds and one MacBook Pro for recording and playback.

Then I use a pair of custom UE Pro 7 IEMs for listening.

I have a Kawai MP9000, Korg Triton Rack and Im thinking about getting a Muse Receptor with Kontakt, they seems to be really fast and reliable.

In my keyboard rack I have a Motu MIDI Timepiece so I can send multiple MIDI signals and then everything goes into a Motu 828 MK1 interface which Coldplay used during their X&Y tour. From there I split all my Keyboard sounds into individual stereo outputs that goes into the Behringer Eurorack Pro line mixer and from there into a DI box for PA.

When I record my keboard sounds and other things I record trough a RME Fireface 802 interface (the one that's not in the rack).

One MacBook Pro for controlling my keyboard sounds and one MacBook Pro for recording.

Then I use a pair of custom IEMs from UE, UE Pro 7 for listening.

The MP9000 has a sound called Studio Grand which is the piano sound Coldplay used 2002-2011 (mostly triggered from a Yamaha GT-20) and the Triton Rack has most of the X&Y sounds (Fix You organs) and a some stuff from A Rush Of Blood To The Head To.

There is an organ sound in the MP9000 to that Coldplay used on Politik, In My Place and Amsterdam.

I can upload a file where I demo all the sounds if someone wants to have a listen :)

Here is a test recording of The Scientist, where I recorded everything but the drums and bass.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjbakvh10ag6kc8/Scientist Instrumental.mp3?dl=0

Great work! Would love to have an MP9000 myself but they are impossible to find. I'd want to hear a demo of the sounds, be cool to hear straight from their sources.

• Like 1

Its funny you post this because I JUST, like literally 2 days ago picked up a Receptor. No idea how to use it, got it in the rack last night. Still working on transferring the iLOK. First thing I'm going to do though is pick up those Kawaii EX Pro samples!

My rack is mostly the same-ish. This is my home studio; Stereo outs from the Triton and Receptor going to a Presonus Studio 192 interface with main outs to speakers and separate mix outs to the Behringer HA4700 headphone mixer and Shure PSM900 wireless monitors. MOTU MTP AV for chucking Midi data. The foot pedal on the left is a modified Behringer FCB1010 that I use to trigger backing tracks and lights with MIDI in Ableton Live.

Would you be willing to share your Fix You setup of the Triton?? I've got all the visible screen settings the same as the photos we have but I can't seem to find the right combination of organs to get it to sound right.

Oh! I really want that Muse Receptor, would be lovely to insert own samples in kontakt :)

It's a little bit tricky because you need to modify one sound in single mode then add it in combi mode to get it right.

Have someone tried a Fostex D2424 multitrack recorder? I know Coldplay used them to transer 16 stereo tracks (8+8) via adat 1 and adat 2 in to it's internal hardisk for playback use.

If you have 2 Fostex you could probably use one of them in slave mode trough adat, so they play at the same time and if you use like a Radial SW8 it will switch automatically if one Fostex unit crashes with out any playback fails in a live situation.

Thank you very much! That'd be greatly appreciated.

I'm traveling for work all next week but back in the studio June 1, so if you got stuff you want me to try out for you, let me know, happy to collab.

And I'm completely torn right now. I have the receptor and can get the ex pro samples, but I also have access to get an MP9000. While I don't want to carry around a huge/heavy piano, having one would be amazing. But if I can get the same/similar sounds out of the ex pro's I don't need it. On the other hand I do have the expertise to gut it and create my own MP9000 Rac. However, I'd hate to gut a perfectly good MP9000 that looks and plays so beautifully. What do I do?!?! haha

I wonder if I could gut it, and then build another midi out interface. The physical key action is all I really want in my home studio. When I'm out performing I've got this super tiny compact Midi 88-key half action piano that does the job.

Thank you very much! That'd be greatly appreciated.

I'm traveling for work all next week but back in the studio June 1, so if you got stuff you want me to try out for you, let me know, happy to collab.

And I'm completely torn right now. I have the receptor and can get the ex pro samples, but I also have access to get an MP9000. While I don't want to carry around a huge/heavy piano, having one would be amazing. But if I can get the same/similar sounds out of the ex pro's I don't need it. On the other hand I do have the expertise to gut it and create my own MP9000 Rac. However, I'd hate to gut a perfectly good MP9000 that looks and plays so beautifully. What do I do?!?! haha

I wonder if I could gut it, and then build another midi out interface. The physical key action is all I really want in my home studio. When I'm out performing I've got this super tiny compact Midi 88-key half action piano that does the job.

I'm no music engineering expert by any means, but if you created a Rac could that sound be shared. I'd love to have an MP9000 physically but really all I want is the sound to use?