✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Becoming a Coldplay Roadie

a2iel

The Oracle answered that question a few years ago:

It's not really a question I can answer because to be honest, it would be better to become a roadie and see where it leads you rather than picking a band and wanting to be their roadie specifically.

There are many different roles and jobs within the career path of a roadie depending on what part of the road crew you want to be in i.e. piano tech, guitar tech etc.

Most of the roadies I know either started out in bands themselves or hung around live music venues helping out bands. Technical knowledge is vital in some positions so again, it depends on what kind of roadie you want to be.

Roadies tend to get jobs by being recommended by their roadie mates and so it's word of mouth. I'd suggest that if you're serious about it, make yourself pretty indispensable and forget about having a girlfriend - you'll never see her. I'm half joking of course.

Matt McGinn's Roadie book is the best place for you to start your research but you may also like this website.

I hope this helps! :)

• Like 4

Was just wondering if anyone knows how one could become a Coldplay roadie? I can't seem to find anything on the web...

I would suppose it depends what you mean by "roadie". You might have a chance to be on the local crew if you have experience in the field and they happen to be playing a gig in your area, but most of the actual touring crew has been with the band for years and it seems like a fairly closed group. Also keep in mind that as one of the world's top touring acts, the band has their pick of talent when it comes to filling out their road crew and are going to be looking for people with top tier credentials and experience. Put simply, it's not just something somebody walks into, working with a band this size is the top of the industry.

• Like 1

Best place to start might be local venues helping setup events. A friend of mine works part-time at an arena helping setup concerts and other events. For the most part the band-crew sets up the stage and lighting and all that fun stuff. A venue crew will help out with load-in, load-out, setting up chairs, getting the band crew integrated into the stadium/arena systems and such.

• Like 1

As cool as it would be to work for Coldplay, I don't think at this point that it would provide much job security if you are looking for a long-term career.

I would try to find a new band/artist that has a good chance of becoming a huge band/artist that way you know you will have your job for quite a while.

As cool as it would be to work for Coldplay, I don't think at this point that it would provide much job security if you are looking for a long-term career.

I would try to find a new band/artist that has a good chance of becoming a huge band/artist that way you know you will have your job for quite a while.

The overwhelming majority of roadies, including for big bands usually only work on short term contracts for the length of a touring cycle. As of a couple years ago Coldplay only had 2 crew members they retained between tours.

• Like 1