✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chris Martin's Piano Sound: Kawai MP9000 - Mp9000 rac - secret unveiled + sound demos!

gabry1090

In this video I show the device used by Chris Martin (Coldplay) for his live piano sound. It is a Kawai MP9000, modified to fit into a rack unit, called "Mp9000 rac". You will hear piano versions of Coldplay's songs, played with Chris Martin's live piano sound. You won't believe to your ears!

• Like 5

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude this is dead on! If I close my eyes, I would think it was Chris Martin playing. Great job! And potentially dumb question, I don't know anything about racs, but is there anyway I can get the sound on my current piano? Do I need to buy this exact piano and a rac? What the easiest way to get this sound?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Dude this is dead on! If I close my eyes, I would think it was Chris Martin playing. Great job! And potentially dumb question, I don't know anything about racs, but is there anyway I can get the sound on my current piano? Do I need to buy this exact piano and a rac? What the easiest way to get this sound?

No wait a second. Chris bought a Kawai MP9000, then his techs took away the keyboard and put the electronics into a rack unit, so he can hook it to whatever piano he wants and use the keyboard as a mute one, a midi controller.

If you buy a Kawai MP9000 you will get Chris Martin's piano sound plus a keyboard, is it clear now? :)

You only have to buy this beautiful Kawai MP9000 stage piano and it's done!

No wait a second. Chris bought a Kawai MP9000, then his techs took away the keyboard and put the electronics into a rack unit, so he can hook it to whatever piano he wants and use the keyboard as a mute one, a midi controller.

If you buy a Kawai MP9000 you will get Chris Martin's piano sound plus a keyboard, is it clear now? :)

You only have to buy this beautiful Kawai MP9000 stage piano and it's done!

Oh ok, I get it. If I buy a rack unit, is there anyway to get the sound on to my current keyboard? Like can you upload the midi files and I can put it on to my keyboard like Chris does? Sorry for any confusion. I just dont have room for another piano, and it would be great to have Chris' sound!

Oh ok, I get it. If I buy a rack unit, is there anyway to get the sound on to my current keyboard? Like can you upload the midi files and I can put it on to my keyboard like Chris does? Sorry for any confusion. I just dont have room for another piano, and it would be great to have Chris' sound!

There is no commercial rack unit of the mp9000, Chris one is custom made. Sound samples are not midi files, them are in wav or other formats. I'm not able to sample a piano sorry. :(

There is no commercial rack unit of the mp9000, Chris one is custom made. Sound samples are not midi files, them are in wav or other formats. I'm not able to sample a piano sorry. :(

Oh ok, I gotcha. I guess I'll have to invest in the mp9000 then. So there's nothing else I need to get Chris's sound besides that particular piano?

Im trying to find one online to buy, but no luck yet.

I believe the MP9500 has the same sound as well. This way you have 2 options to search for. I'd love to have one of them myself but I can't afford any new keyboard at this time lol

I believe the MP9500 has the same sound as well. This way you have 2 options to search for. I'd love to have one of them myself but I can't afford any new keyboard at this time lol

Oh ok thats good to know. Yeah I have some extra money right now fortunately, so this would definitely be something I'd like lol.

• Like 1

Just to clarify....

Kawai Ex Pro samples can sound the same... you just have to work with your hear and EQ

And they have been used as a backup in coldplay live performances

Who said that? However I've worked with EQ for a month, and the sound Was really close. But not the same, samples are richer, more realistic, more like a real piano sound. Kawai MP9000 sound is clear, simple and a little bit outdated, less acoustic, less complex. You need to hear them togher to get it, but there is a difference, believe me, otherwise I wouldn't have bought another piano :)

Who said that? However I've worked with EQ for a month, and the sound Was really close. But not the same, samples are richer, more realistic, more like a real piano sound. Kawai MP9000 sound is clear, simple and a little bit outdated, less acoustic, less complex. You need to hear them togher to get it, but there is a difference, believe me, otherwise I wouldn't have bought another piano :)

I say this because for a while I worked in their team... Besides the MP9000 which was previously replace by samples the KawaiEX Pro was used as a backup system which was uploaded to a Muse Receptor. The KawaiEX pro really worked for them, althought it had a lot of processing before it comes out in the speakers..... In the current tour Chris left this samples and started using a new sound...If you notice the sound now is more organic instead of the really exagarated bright sound used in previous tours

The MP9000 is an excellent piano sound, not very organic tough and very 'digital'

• Like 1

I say this because for a while I worked in their team... Besides the MP9000 which was previously replace by samples the KawaiEX Pro was used as a backup system which was uploaded to a Muse Receptor. The KawaiEX pro really worked for them, althought it had a lot of processing before it comes out in the speakers..... In the current tour Chris left this samples and started using a new sound...If you notice the sound now is more organic instead of the really exagarated bright sound used in previous tours

The MP9000 is an excellent piano sound, not very organic tough and very 'digital'

Man you really know a lot of things, such a great knowledge! :) Yes I did, if you listen to "The Scientist Live @ Letterman or Paradise Live @ Letterman" you will hear that the sound is exactly like the one I got in my MP9000 video, and I think they used that sound during MX tour, very bright, a lot of bass and highs (Clock's intro is the best example). In this tour I noticed that in Everglow the sound is still bright (Live @ Pasadena), but it seems it has more compression tough and the EQ is different. I don't know what has changed, but yes, it sounds less digital now than before.

So I have had no luck finding any for sale. And there is definitely no way to get the sound off the piano like Chris did? I wouldn't mind paying for whatever it would cost, equipment wise. Hopefully something pops up.

I have seen at least 2 for sale on eBay, just go on there and search Kawai MP9000 and scroll down a bit.

• Like 1

In this video I show the device used by Chris Martin (Coldplay) for his live piano sound. It is a Kawai MP9000, modified to fit into a rack unit, called "Mp9000 rac". You will hear piano versions of Coldplay's songs, played with Chris Martin's live piano sound. You won't believe to your ears!

amazing! Would you be able in future to upload the notes in .wav? so that we can assign them on the keys and get that fantastic sound!