✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplaying's history

msimo4

Awesome idea to create this thread!

I finally know why Jonny loves cake! :joy:

My life in coldplaying is short and I've been a coldplayer for 5 years but I remember some moments.

I remember reading the post the coldplaying founder wrote to say goodbye to the site. I just thought how sad it was for his team to leave a site they had for 14 years but I didn't pay to much attention to it. Then I saw Mark's first article introducing himself as the new owner but wasn't relevant for me at all. Coldplaying was just my source of information, I wasn't into downloading files or talking to people on the Internet. I thought that's just for crazy fans who doesn't have anything else to do, and now here I am... :eyes:

Later I created my account on March 22, 2014. I think I wanted to get some information that was only available for members. I don't remember when I wrote my first post but since then I've felt so welcomed to this community. I've taken part in a couple of new projects that new members might not know: coldplaying listening party, coldplaying chorus (up&up cover) and #IRanAwayLive2016, I never imagined myself recording my voice to make a cover of Coldplay songs. And, as someone said my level of English has improved and I've said thanks for helping me.

Some of the things you've mentioned like the project postcards from faraway and the Christmas Lights video are familiar to me. Now that I think about it I believe I discovered coldplaying because I read about this site on Coldplay's official website! It's amazing that Coldplay has a great relationship with this fansite. I remember reading those articles about #coldplayingaskscoldplay getting a huge smile on my face and receiving the best Christmas present from coldplaying and Coldplay in the form of an interview done by @Batman !

I can't believe The Oracle is part of the history of Coldplay now, it doesn't seems it was too long ago. I loved reading all those answers and I even took part in the team oracle questions and answers and I got a birthday present from her, not a physical one though. I asked her to share with me a pic from England and she share one from a photoshoot in Blackpool in 2000. 

This is recent but the discussion on the AHFOD album thread "divided" coldplayers into Oldplayers, newplayers, allplayers (haha) and goldplayers (? lol)

I don't have anything new to add. I'm pretty much a new member here, however I can say that I discovered a lot of information about the band here. I love reading all those articles and threads getting to know the stories each one have shared. The forums might have changed in terms of design but I can say that it's the same in terms of the kindness and support each member has brought here. It’s awesome to meet people from all over the world and to share our thoughts after a new song is released, listening to a livestream from a different time zone or watching a concert

And don’t forget the :awesome: emojis :vuvuzela: I hope they get back soon!

• Like 4

Wow that's been quite a few posts for the past couple of days all of a sudden! Wasn't really expecting that, but I see that this thread is currently the 7th most viewed thread on the forums with 523 views! Thanks guys, that's awesome!

Hey,

Coldplayer from 2009 here.

Honestly I'd love to give such an elaborate explaination about my time here which peaked in 2010 I think, but I was so young (teenager) and I honestly don't remember that much. I only now just came back to this site after four years after peaking into this in 2013 but the whole layout changed so much I left very fast again.

I do remember the whole boat thing/video vividly, but not being from the UK and being to young to travel on my own, it was just somewhat frustrating but still cool with all the 'buzz' going on. Some other random snippet I remember is Coldplay posting a hand-written christmas card on their website and someone discovered handwriting on the back of it by changing the lightning in photoshop, I thought that was crazy haha!

We had a thread for the Belgians on the forum that was pretty active and I actually met some people from this site in real life. I'm still facebook friends with 3 of them and we actually still talk once in a while, which I think is amazing considering we met on a website 7 years ago!

Coming back to this forum brings many memories back though, and I really loved my time here. I think I left because I was getting more into different bands and I didn't really like the MX style. But everyone was always so friendly here it was awesome. Being a teenager on here at that time seems so much better than being a teenager now going on the internet, I feel there's much more hate now and I'm glad I never experienced this on coldplaying.

I also loved the secret santa things they had here and I still have the postcard from someone in Texas!

Also they had a thread for the free EP coldplay gave away at their concerts at the time (left-right-left-right-left), and you could talk to someone there and I actually got a spare one from someone who had collected 2 at a concert. That's how friendly everyone was haha :)

I actually learned a lot of English through this site as well, I learned speaking and talking English by watching band interviews and british shows without subs, but I think my writing really improved by this forum. I was one of the best in English in high school, this forum might have something to do with it, which I'm very gratefull for as well :)

I only got the see Coldplay once in all those years because they keep coming to Belgium at the worst possible dates for me, or for ridiculous prices :/

I'm still a student now so paying more than €100 for a concert is still impossible!

Anyway, I don't think I'll stick around this time as well, but I'll keep my profile, maybe in 4 years I'll come back again!

Hehe, thanks for your story and welcome back! This is kinda why I made this thread, because even though a lot of people might not come back to this place, I know that in the past and even now it holds a lot of special memories in people's lives that they'll never forget, and that it's so special if we can look at the history of it. Do you still follow the band, or are still a fan?

Cool story!

I nearly forgot this thread exists.

For anyone who wants to leave a question about 'the old days' as well, I'll try to answer.

Yeah, this thread has been a tad dead since a few months or so but I've fairly recently seen a lot of views on here, which is awesome.

The original version of Coldplaying was started by Ian during Christmas 2000. You used to be able to find it archived on google but I've not seen it recenty I forget when I got sucked in but it would have been in 2002.

I spent 10 years of my life attached to Coldplaying.com and it still feels weird to watch them live on tv or go to a concert and not have to run back and try to catch up on what happened on twitter and try to keep Wiki updated with all the amazing reviews that Coldplayers write.

There were plenty of dramas over the years but also so many good memories.

February 2009 - when I first met Coldplayers in real life queueing in the freezing, frosty, cold for the War Child gig.

September 2009 - more real life Coldpayers in the queue; a gig whilst 7 months pregnant; and a picnic in the park with Coldplayers from all over the world.

December 2010 - Chris and Mich came to visit us on their way to freeze in the Exeter snow!! They brought BabyBeeBurns his card from Coldplay (still think it's awesome that you guys and Debs secretly sorted that out for us) and the very generous present his Coldplaying Aunties & Uncles sent.

Thank you and that's awesome, are you Ian's wife as someone suggested!? That's so cool, I love that you're here now! I absolutely wish I could've experienced the band's history like you have, thanks for contributing. Also, who is/was "Mich"?

Awesome idea to create this thread!

I finally know why Jonny loves cake! :joy:

My life in coldplaying is short and I've been a coldplayer for 5 years but I remember some moments.

I remember reading the post the coldplaying founder wrote to say goodbye to the site. I just thought how sad it was for his team to leave a site they had for 14 years but I didn't pay to much attention to it. Then I saw Mark's first article introducing himself as the new owner but wasn't relevant for me at all. Coldplaying was just my source of information, I wasn't into downloading files or talking to people on the Internet. I thought that's just for crazy fans who doesn't have anything else to do, and now here I am... :eyes:

Later I created my account on March 22, 2014. I think I wanted to get some information that was only available for members. I don't remember when I wrote my first post but since then I've felt so welcomed to this community. I've taken part in a couple of new projects that new members might not know: coldplaying listening party, coldplaying chorus (up&up cover) and #IRanAwayLive2016, I never imagined myself recording my voice to make a cover of Coldplay songs. And, as someone said my level of English has improved and I've said thanks for helping me.

Some of the things you've mentioned like the project postcards from faraway and the Christmas Lights video are familiar to me. Now that I think about it I believe I discovered coldplaying because I read about this site on Coldplay's official website! It's amazing that Coldplay has a great relationship with this fansite. I remember reading those articles about #coldplayingaskscoldplay getting a huge smile on my face and receiving the best Christmas present from coldplaying and Coldplay in the form of an interview done by @Batman !

I can't believe The Oracle is part of the history of Coldplay now, it doesn't seems it was too long ago. I loved reading all those answers and I even took part in the team oracle questions and answers and I got a birthday present from her, not a physical one though. I asked her to share with me a pic from England and she share one from a photoshoot in Blackpool in 2000. 

This is recent but the discussion on the AHFOD album thread "divided" coldplayers into Oldplayers, newplayers, allplayers (haha) and goldplayers (? lol)

I don't have anything new to add. I'm pretty much a new member here, however I can say that I discovered a lot of information about the band here. I love reading all those articles and threads getting to know the stories each one have shared. The forums might have changed in terms of design but I can say that it's the same in terms of the kindness and support each member has brought here. It’s awesome to meet people from all over the world and to share our thoughts after a new song is released, listening to a livestream from a different time zone or watching a concert

And don’t forget the :awesome: emojis :vuvuzela: I hope they get back soon!

Thank you so much! I too wish the Oracle would come back, I'm a GS era fan and loved reading through answers when I was just starting out as a fan. I remember when they finished with the GS website, and then put in the Timeline, and then put in the new AHFOD website. Even though the Oracle now exists in Twitter form, they're barely active now. I really hope that they bring it back sometime soon, or in the next incarnation of the website, when the LP8 era begins! I wonder if they stopped it because it was too hard and they couldn't manage it anymore...

The original version of Coldplaying was started by Ian during Christmas 2000. You used to be able to find it archived on google but I've not seen it recenty I forget when I got sucked in but it would have been in 2002.

I spent 10 years of my life attached to Coldplaying.com and it still feels weird to watch them live on tv or go to a concert and not have to run back and try to catch up on what happened on twitter and try to keep Wiki updated with all the amazing reviews that Coldplayers write.

There were plenty of dramas over the years but also so many good memories.

February 2009 - when I first met Coldplayers in real life queueing in the freezing, frosty, cold for the War Child gig.

September 2009 - more real life Coldpayers in the queue; a gig whilst 7 months pregnant; and a picnic in the park with Coldplayers from all over the world.

December 2010 - Chris and Mich came to visit us on their way to freeze in the Exeter snow!! They brought BabyBeeBurns his card from Coldplay (still think it's awesome that you guys and Debs secretly sorted that out for us) and the very generous present his Coldplaying Aunties & Uncles sent.

Jen!!!!! so glad you posted here and in the pink font! remember i used to post in the blue font? Thank you again for everything and for posting these memories. I still cant believe how big the kids are now. We had some drama but we had some great times too with such a cast of characters. I'll have to sit down and recall my early beginnings here, so many good memories and so many good friends made :heart::x&y::viva::parachutes::mylo:

• Like 2

Jen!!!!! so glad you posted here and in the pink font! remember i used to post in the blue font? Thank you again for everything and for posting these memories. I still cant believe how big the kids are now. We had some drama but we had some great times too with such a cast of characters. I'll have to sit down and recall my early beginnings here, so many good memories and so many good friends made :heart::x&y::viva::parachutes::mylo:

Aww this is the sweetest. This is what I wanna achieve with this thread!

• Like 1

Thank you and that's awesome, are you Ian's wife as someone suggested!? That's so cool, I love that you're here now! I absolutely wish I could've experienced the band's history like you have, thanks for contributing. Also, who is/was "Mich"?

Mimixxx :)

Heeyyyyyyyy! :) xx They're too big, lol

Been a while! Randomly decided to have a nosey round the other night and here was this thread. Must have been meant to be!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...