✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Nick Berg (the executed American civilian in Iraq)

I'm sure you've all heard by now about Nick Berg, the American civilian who was kidnapped and beheaded by suspected al-Qaeda members in Iraq. If not:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3708047.stm

I guess it has a slight personal connection for me, since this guy was from the town where I was born, and he briefly attended the same university as me, although not at the same time.

At any rate, it's one of the most gruesome and terrible things to come out of there yet, and I feel incredibly bad for his family, who had to find out that there was a video of their son's brutal murder from a reporter who came to their house, and now they have to see it on every news channel and in every newspaper. I've even seen pictures published of his family weeping in their front yard after being told about it (have journalists no shame?).

I also think it puts the Iraqi prisoner abuse into some perspective. I'm not saying it's ok, but I think most people would rather be tortured and still live than be murdered...

Either way, I wish people (westerners and middle-easterners alike) would realize that the "eye-for-an-eye" thing has got to stop. It sounds so cliche, but violence really isn't the answer. It's not ok to torture Iraqi prisoners because you think they might have raped Jessica Lynch, and it's not ok to murder an American civilian because some Iraqi prisoners were tortured.

*sigh* The world is such a sad place.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm extremely glad that I haven't seen the videotape of that...And I don't plan to...*shudders*

the "eye-for-an-eye" thing has got to stop. It sounds so cliche, but violence really isn't the answer.

I completely agree. As Ghandi once said, "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." There's so much truth in that...

The sad truth is that the truth is sad. :cry:

Guest LiquidSky
i've seen the videotape..i feel sick even thinking about it..i couldn't sleep right after seeing it

I haven't seen the video yet...when I was watching the news, they didn't show the video because they said it was too violent...and I've been meaning to look for it on the internet, but forgot about it...in fact I'm gonna search for it right now...

Guest LiquidSky

yeah...I'm weird...I was looking for it...but then I thought "Geez, do I really want to see the video, Joscie? :stunned: " so I didn't find it and I stopped looking for it, 'cause no, I really don't wanna see it...

I think it was sick enough of those people to do it, but then film it and post it on the internet?? jeez.

I remember the ones who were burned and drug through the streets then hung from the bridge..i saw the pictures of those and wanted to throw up..i couldn't handle that video. :o

yeah it's really sad.

i have to say i've had lots of opportunties to see the video, but i didn't.

there's really no need to see it.

haha it makes me sound like i'm self righteous.

but i guess if anybody else wants to, it's their choice, it's just no my bag.