✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Death penalty? good or bad?

mburn

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with the death penalty in complete and totally proven circumstances - why should we spend 400' date='000 or whatever it takes to keep a criminal incarcerated for life, they should be put to death in accordance with whatever crime they have commited. :?[/quote']

i came to think that ppl can be so evil when they join forces when i read this... just something to think about :shrug:

I don't rate human life as so important that we have to preserve it no matter what. If someone has done something really vile and continues to represent a danger to society then they should be put to sleep. It's not a punishment - it simply removes the rot.

I don't rate human life as so important that we have to preserve it no matter what. If someone has done something really vile and continues to represent a danger to society then they should be put to sleep. It's not a punishment - it simply removes the rot.

:o that's harsh... human life isnt that important, you say... what about your life? what if you were getting exicuted? (just want to be sure you mean ones' life isnt important after you have murdered several ppl, i hope you do)

okay here are my opinions.

i am strongly against the death penaltly because

-i think the death penaltly can never be useful because of the barbaric example it gives to people. for me exectutions give society the unmistakeable message that a human life no longer deserves respect when it is useful to take it and that murder, is in fact legitimate when it's 'justified by practical concerns'. its argued that death is what murders deserve ( making the punsihment fit the crime. but going by the principle that punishments are unjust unless they are like the crime itself you could argue that we should rape all rapists, torture all torturers, betray traitors and kill multiple murderers again and again. we can't reasonably punish all crimes according to this principle so it is my view that it is not a valid arguement in favour of the death penalty.

-i also think that the death penalty is both cruel and in humane and violates the very right to life. i think that the methods of execution used are unnescesseraly violent and barbaric. often the condemned are led are dragged even into the death chamber and strapped to an electric chair, jolting as the voltage is raised and lowered. often smoke can be seen rising from the condemned's head and there is an awful smell of burning flesh. i just dont think that any decent society should use such a degrading and cruel punishment!

- my final reason for disagreeing so strongly with the death penalty is that it is completely irrevocable and irreversable! if later on the executed are found innocent ( as so many are http://crime.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://sun.soci.niu.edu/%7Ecritcrim/wrong/mike.list)

then it is impossible to turn back the clock and set asside the death sentance. as long as the death penalty exists, i think there will always be the potential risk of executing innocents and i think human life is too precious for that risk to be taken.

that is just my view,ii hope i havn't offended anyone :shrug: and i'm sorry that was so long.

:o that's harsh... human life isnt that important, you say... what about your life? what if you were getting exicuted? (just want to be sure you mean ones' life isnt important after you have murdered several ppl, i hope you do)

yeah i hope so too cos i was kinda shocked when ie read that :shock:

I feel that no matter what one has done, society should not take that persons life into their hands. I realize that the dollar, and cost of keeping an inmate is part of the reason the death penalty still exsists today-but I'm sorry, when did money become more important than human life? The almighty dollar should not be a deciding factor in matters such as this, especially since most convicts on death row are often victims of circumstance, mentally dissabled, or are lacking in good mental health stemming from childhood experiences.

It is for these reasons that I do not believe the death penalty acceptable...what these criminals need is not death, but rehabilitation, and life behind bars-is it greater torture to die within a matter of minutes, or think about the reason you are jailed in the first place, everyday for the rest of your life? Also-on a comical note, if what the victims family is after for is revenge-what greater revenge is there than knowing the man/woman who killed your relative is most likely getting ass raped-alot? Perhaps thats not comical, however I seem to think the barborous terminology in the previous sentence worked quite nicely...hmmm-and one more thing, did you know that most people who believe in the death penalty are pro-life? (aka "anti-choice")....makes you think a little....Peace out!