✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Do You Think Tickets Prices Are 2 Much ?

Paranoid_Scientist

i think they are much too expensive. i paid $40 for my ticket to last night's coldplay show and was 150 feet from the band. the last time i saw them i paid $15 and was 10 feet from them. oh well, i'm just not a big concert type of person i guess, so that's just me. i can't even comprehend people who pay $500 or whatever for a rolling stones ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a special on 20/20 the other night... they had a bunch of performers on there, ie dave matthews, who said the reason for ticket prices going up a lot in the last year or two is because they dont make nearly as much money any more on their cds since everyone burns them and not buys them....

So since they aren't making nearly as much, they have to make their money other ways such as concerts..

Hell I dont blame em. That's why I always buy my cds....! Support your bands!

There was a special on 20/20 the other night... they had a bunch of performers on there, ie dave matthews, who said the reason for ticket prices going up a lot in the last year or two is because they dont make nearly as much money any more on their cds since everyone burns them and not buys them....

So since they aren't making nearly as much, they have to make their money other ways such as concerts..

EXACTLY! That is the major reason why ticket prices are really high. Touring is a major source of income for artists then album sales comes next and since album sales have severely decreased it is reasonable to raise tickets. However, i was satisfied with my coldplay ticket, i paid like $46 and i was pretty close to the stage but what sucks is that people in the back and balcony paid the same exact price cause all the tickets were the same price so it was more of a first come first serve type of deal.

yeah i dont blame them either i would probably do the same..and i wouldnt want to burn a coldplay cd though i want it original..everything that belongs to coldplay i want original :D

here in portugal ppl don't buy cds and the concerts of portuguese artist are usually for free. That's why our musical industry is so lame!

I bought coldplay tickets to april the 9th with 23 euros each one (it is the average price)

Yes, I do think that ticket prices are too high, but when you take into account the huge costs involved with touring then it makes sense. I have no problem paying a larger amount to see a quality live band, but I do think that there should be higher profile support acts.

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't mind paying the $40-50 a pop for bands like Coldplay and DMB if Ticketbastard didn't tack on their "convenience" charges. What the hell is convenient about spending an extra $8/ticket? :angry: They have a near-monoply going... I also think there's a conspiracy between them and the scalpers/ticket-brokers. How does a show at the 2700 seat Pantages sell out in under a minute? Explain that to me. :inquisitive: And that BS the guy at the counter fed me about a "delay" :shifty: Dodgey, I tell ya.

Another thing that bugs me is the stuff you pay for at the concert. The parking (some places at the Hollywood Bowl were charging up to $20 for parking! Parking!! P-A-R-K-I-N-G!!! :o), the drinks and food; and the merchandise -- which is becoming absurd. I mean, $30 for a t-shirt? If they were a few bucks cheaper, I would have enough money to buy more. But at that price I could only afford one. They're losing money! I would've bought two if they were $25/shirt, but they weren't, so I spent less. And I can't be the only one who felt that way. I'm quite willing to spend every dollar in my wallet, but the prices need to be a touch nearer to reasonable. :rolleyes:

:stunned: sorry for going off on a rant :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think $50 is about the maximum price for a top notch band... anything above that gets to be gauging unless the band has a ridiculously loyal fanbase (ie Springsteen charging $80 a ticket for a Shea Stadium show where everyone above the first level will be seeing an ant).

Agreed with whoever posted above about the ridiculous t-shirt prices nowadays... I went to see Meatloaf and they wanted $35 for a t-shirt, which is just too much - I passed. I can get Guster shirts for $10, and will probably have 2-3 by the end of the year. Simple economics will tell you that lowering prices on such items will drive up sales. The question is of course whether the extra number of shirts sold will make up for the drop in price, but I think 1)it likely is and 2)a few bucks out of the band's pockets would end up buying a lot of goodwill from fans.