🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

What are you reading right now?

^Isn't it like extremely thick?

I am now reading Why I Write - George Orwell and The Best Australian Poems 2010.

question is for Gena?

Don Quixote thick?...

is kinda big book, for us is considered the first modern novel, at least the way it is developed. funny fact is it wanted to mock the kind of 'cavalry' books that were the fashion at the time. :P best epic fail ever as it ended setting a 'new' genre.

:shame: at high school we had to read it partially just 25 chapters, and not the whole story.

and then we are proud of that book? ... :| if we were we'd read it when we are 15 before most people quit studying and we would read it completely imo. i guess british who read Shakespeare as compulsory do read the whole story/play not parts of it, right?

no surprise we are one of the worst countries in europe in speed and understanding when reading and also in writing. :|

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and then we are proud of that book? ... :| if we were we'd read it when we are 15 before most people quit studying and we would read it completely imo. i guess british who read Shakespeare as compulsory do read the whole story/play not parts of it, right?

In the US we read whole Shakespeare plays. :wacko:

Last year (in 8th grade) my class read A Midsummer Night's Dream. :awesome:

Anyway, I'm reading Roadie: My Life on the Road with Coldplay by Mr. McGinn. :wacky:

It's very good, but waaaaay too short. I got it yesterday night and within 3 hours I was halfway done. :sad:

question is for Gena?

Don Quixote thick?...

is kinda big book, for us is considered the first modern novel, at least the way it is developed. funny fact is it wanted to mock the kind of 'cavalry' books that were the fashion at the time. :P best epic fail ever as it ended setting a 'new' genre.

:shame: at high school we had to read it partially just 25 chapters, and not the whole story.

no surprise we are one of the worst countries in europe in speed and understanding when reading and also in writing. :|

Yeah we read whole Shakespeare plays but they are a lot shorter, and only really have five chapters or acts. In Australia, it's compulsory to study one in every year of secondary education (high school) so thats 6 plays all up by the time you are done.

Yeah we read whole Shakespeare plays but they are a lot shorter, and only really have five chapters or acts. In Australia, it's compulsory to study one in every year of secondary education (high school) so thats 6 plays all up by the time you are done.

that's good, i didn't knew you had to read that many of those.

anyways we read it for the reasons i said, as it set the develop of modern novel, that's the big importance and that it was spanish and then others followed our model in some way. (i've been told that along my studying period).

i personally think to get to know Cervantes better, his fun and mock style, we could much better read some shorter novels or plays he wrote, i read them after finishing school and i kinda enjoyed those more.

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert.

reading:

contra viento y marea by Joaquin Martinez Mamerí (against wind and tides).

(in a bet for free online writers)

shall read soon:

okupada by Care Santos (squatting)

deseo de ser punk by Belén Gopegui (wish of being punk)

tribus urbanas by Angel Aguirre (urban tribes)

Memorias del abuelo de un punk by Ezequias Blanco (memories of the grandfather of a punk)

Last night just finished Arthur La Bern's "Goodbye Piccadilly, Farewell Leicester Square", most famous for it's adaptation to film as Hitchcock's "Frenzy".

(I have to see that movie!)

Now I'm reading (again) Goethe's Faust. After that I really want to read Bulgakov's "The Master and Margarita"

After that I really want to read Bulgakov's "The Master and Margarita"

Interestingly you are the first person I've heard of who desires to read it. I got it also lined up in my bookshelf. Can't wait to read it either although I hardly have time at the moment.

Recently I finished the first three Narnia books. Then I decided to take a break and read the "The Boy in the Striped Pyjama", "One human destiny" by Sholokhov, some Austrian crime novel and Erich Kästner's "The animals' conference". Now I am back on Narnia #4. ;) So glad my library has the whole series.

Interestingly you are the first person I've heard of who desires to read it. I got it also lined up in my bookshelf.

Why? maybe because is not really a famous book?

Personally I didn't know anything about it until quite reciently (last year).

Can't wait to read it either although I hardly have time at the moment.

That's probably because you're reading so many other things atm. :D

That's probably because you're reading so many other things atm. :D

If you only knew how right you are... :laugh3:

Well, maybe Bulgakov isn't that famous but his work certainly counts as world literature. Admittantly, I study a bit on Russia and thus may kow more than some others. The other day in the bookstore I really had to contain myself to stop buying a collection of his short stories. They're really unique. Weirder than Gogol I think.

If you only knew how right you are... :laugh3:

Well, maybe Bulgakov isn't that famous but his work certainly counts as world literature. Admittantly, I study a bit on Russia and thus may kow more than some others. The other day in the bookstore I really had to contain myself to stop buying a collection of his short stories. They're really unique. Weirder than Gogol I think.

I've read quite a few important works of Russian authors (Dostoyevsky, Tolstoi, Chékhov, Pasternak) and I think I would like to read more. (: Do you actually recommend Bulgakov's short stories? cause I might look for them after I'm done with The Master and Margarita, but first I need to finish Faust, hehe. Of Gogol I've only read Taras Bulba... Not my favorite story.

Btw, my friend gave me for my birthday Michael Cunningham's The Hours (yes, that's what the actual movie is based on) so I'll have to add space for that too. After that I really want to try some existentialist literature. And I think that would be quite enough for this year. XD

I know! I've wanted to read some works of Camus for a long time now... But never had the opportunity. :thinking: What have you read of him?

Now I really really want to read... Narciß und Goldmund of Hermann Hesse. I loved Der Steppenwolf and this looks like a very interesting book. :wacky:

I've read quite a few important works of Russian authors (Dostoyevsky, Tolstoi, Chékhov, Pasternak) and I think I would like to read more. (: Do you actually recommend Bulgakov's short stories? cause I might look for them after I'm done with The Master and Margarita, but first I need to finish Faust, hehe. Of Gogol I've only read Taras Bulba... Not my favorite story.

Btw, my friend gave me for my birthday Michael Cunningham's The Hours (yes, that's what the actual movie is based on) so I'll have to add space for that too. After that I really want to try some existentialist literature. And I think that would be quite enough for this year. XD

Yeah, I think Bulgakov's short stories are quite good. "Diaboliad" ( collection but also the name of one of the short stories) is pretty... different, I guess. ;) Gogol's "The Nose" is the most famous Russian short story but also very very abstract. There are some similarities between the two. Supposedly, you either like it or not.

The Hours is a good book, particularly because the connection to Virginia Woolf becomes much more clearer. Regarding existentialism, love Kafka, ambiguous towards Camus. Never read Der Steppenwolf or Siddharta by Hesse.

That's all I wanted to say. :D