✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Death Cab For Cutie!

Majson

I was actually surprised at how much hate that album got--I don't really get it. Sure, it's different than their earlier work, but not so different than Plans and even Transatlanticism to me. The only song I don't really care for on it is "Talking Bird." "Cath..." and "Grapevine Fires" are two of my favorite DCFC songs ever, and I love how different "I Will Posess Your Heart" is for them. To me it sounded like growth and change and diversity, while still keeping the things that they originally set out to do in tact.

I own and have listened to all of their albums several times, but...honestly, I haven't listened to any of the ones pre-Photo Album since like 2007, honestly, and I heavily favor the four most recent ones. The older ones just never grabbed me in the same way as their more recent work. This probably makes me very un-cool and un-hipster :P. Actually, getting re-acquainted with their older stuff is high on my list of things to listen to in the very near future. I feel like my tastes have grown and changed enough now that I might completely go nuts for it when previously, I thought it was good but not as brilliant as the newer stuff. I was actually inspired to just throw on We Have The Facts... right now!

But, as it stands for the moment:

1. Plans

2. Transatlanticism

3. Narrow Stairs

4. Codes and Keys (this feels too low, hmm)

5. The Photo Album

6. We Have The Facts and We're Voting Yes

7. Something About Airplanes

But one of my favorite songs of theirs is "Wait" off of the You Can Play These Songs With Chords re-release, so I feel like that fits in there somewhere too.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually surprised at how much hate that album got--I don't really get it. Sure, it's different than their earlier work, but not so different than Plans and even Transatlanticism to me. The only song I don't really care for on it is "Talking Bird." "Cath..." and "Grapevine Fires" are two of my favorite DCFC songs ever, and I love how different "I Will Posess Your Heart" is for them. To me it sounded like growth and change and diversity, while still keeping the things that they originally set out to do in tact.

I own and have listened to all of their albums several times, but...honestly, I haven't listened to any of the ones pre-Photo Album since like 2007, honestly, and I heavily favor the four most recent ones. The older ones just never grabbed me in the same way as their more recent work. This probably makes me very un-cool and un-hipster :P. Actually, getting re-acquainted with their older stuff is high on my list of things to listen to in the very near future. I feel like my tastes have grown and changed enough now that I might completely go nuts for it when previously, I thought it was good but not as brilliant as the newer stuff. I was actually inspired to just throw on We Have The Facts... right now!

But, as it stands for the moment:

1. Plans

2. Transatlanticism

3. Narrow Stairs

4. Codes and Keys (this feels too low, hmm)

5. The Photo Album

6. We Have The Facts and We're Voting Yes

7. Something About Airplanes

But one of my favorite songs of theirs is "Wait" off of the You Can Play These Songs With Chords re-release, so I feel like that fits in there somewhere too.

Yeah, I agree with you about Narrow Stairs. I wasn't a hater, as you can see I put it above plans and airplanes, but yeah I wasn't too keen on it.

Wait is great!

No Joy In Mudville is perhaps one of the most depressing beautiful songs I've ever heard. Put it up loud with headphones and it completely changes your mood.

"Last night I dreamt that I was you

I was dressed all in black

with dark glasses and attitude.

Such a pose I could simply not hold

through days in a northern town

that I had once called a home."

That really heavy bass and bells at the start just makes me feel so strange. It's really powerful.

We have the facts is one of my favourite albums ever. It helped me through a really rough time and I just adore so many of the tracks on there.

Coincidence, listening to No Joy In Mudville right now :P

Speaking of depressing beautiful songs, Bend To Squares off the Studio X Sessions is my all time favorite in that category.

What are your feelings on The Postal Service? I dug that album out for the first time in four years last night and really enjoyed it again.

Bend to Squares is also on Something about Airplanes to be fair :P It's the opening track!

Yeah, it's a cracker. I love the last few lines "What a way to cut lengthwise" although it makes me squirm quite a lot. Very interesting to learn the song is about Frank Sinatra. Ben tells a great anecdote about the song here:

http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/657030/bend-to-squares-vh1-storytellers.jhtml

Another under rated song with mentioning is Styrofoam Plates from The Photo Album. The explosion of anger and hatred at the end always moves me, I've never heard Ben -- or any other singer -- sound so angry in a song before.

Yes, but I FAR prefer the Studio X Sessions version :P. It just seems to suit the mood of the song better to me.

I still have their Storytellers on my DVR :dazzled:

Styrofoam Plates is GREAT. I think my favorite off that album is Blacking Out The Friction, even though I ALSO prefer the Studio X Sessions version :lol:

"I think that it's brainless to assume that making changes to your window's view will give a new perspective. "

That line is perhaps the single greatest lyric of the last twenty years of popular music. It's genius.

I agree the studio X session version is better than the Photo Album, completely different vibe.

edit: You lucky bitch! I had to stay up really late to watch it!

Ooh shit, I forgot to answer you question about the Postal Service.

Yeah, love it. I'm kind of glad it was just a one off though - i think it was perfect in executing what it set out to do. I'm not one of the people who demand more, I don't think it's needed.

Owl City though... blatantly ripping it off? Not fucking happy.

UGH, I just checked and it's not on my DVR anymore! We're lacking space so things just get automatically deleted :bigcry:. At least the videos are online, I guess.

Have you ever seen them live? UGH so good :dead:

No :(

But my boyfriend saw them in Montreal a few years back and got Nick and Chris to call me up and talk to me on the phone. That was pretty amazing :)

:stunned: Well that's a pretty good tradeoff, haha. I've seen them twice, once on my 16th birthday in 2005 (actually it was the day after, but my friend's birthday who was with me, so who's counting) and once this August. I also had tickets to see them in London in July but I had to miss it because I went to the Oxegen Festival instead. They are absolutely amazing live, and the setlist this past time was to DIE for, at least for me.

• 11 months later...