• 1 month later...
  • Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

09211_151149_deathcabforcutie1.jpg

Death Cab For Cutie's Ben Gibbard: 'I'm so proud of our new album'

The group's seventh studio effort will be released early next year

Death Cab For Cutie's Ben Gibbard has revealed that he is "so proud" of their forthcoming new album.

The frontman admitted that he was that pleased, of what will be their seventh studio effort, that he didn't "care if people don't like it."

"It's not a guitar-based record," he told Spin. "We've been into vintage keyboards and playing with that palette. We're not adding guitars because people will be expecting them…I'm so proud of this album that at this point I don't care if people don't like it."

Set to be the follow-up to 2008's 'Narrow Stairs', the as-yet untitled album was recorded two weeks at a time in Los Angeles, Vancouver, San Francisco and Seattle.

"We're all moving into a period in our lives where family is very important," he explained. "So living off in the woods for a month away from family isn't something we want to do."

He added: "On this record I've written a couple songs in our downtime between studios and we start recording that brand new song on the first day of the next session, which is something we've never really had the opportunity to do before."

The new album is due to be released in spring next year. Meanwhile, the band will also support Foo Fighters at one of their Milton Keynes Bowl gigs on July 3, although Gibbard said that the group are unlikely to be heading out on an extensive tour of their own.

"I would love to find myself making a record a year from now rather than moving into our seventh straight month of tour," he revealed. "I'd like to capitalize on feeling inspired to writing rather than hobbling up onstage and jumping around for two hours in Dresden."

http://www.nme.com/news/death-cab-for-cutie/53641

Wow, I forgot these guys are due for a new album next year. (Perhaps because the Zooey fanboy in me has conveniently blanked anything Ben Gibbard from my mind. :P) Looking forward to a change in direction also. Yeah, Narrow Stairs was a bit different, but not too different.

I don't really like We Have The Facts And We're Voting Yes or Narrow Stairs all that much, and they're the only albums of theirs I have. They're okay, but bleh.

Would I like any different ones? :surprised:

Hard to tell. Give Transatlanticism or Plans a try (the former is better but the latter is more accessible). If you don't like one of them, chances are this band isn't for you.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

so we have a couple more songs now.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVErSWseFfI]YouTube - Death Cab For Cutie's "Home Is A Fire," video by Shepard Fairey and Nicholas Harmer[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKYBMc5xzbo]YouTube - Death Cab for Cutie - Underneath The Sycamore[/ame]

i love both songs much much more than You Are A Tourist.

• 2 weeks later...

The new album has leaked! Has anyone heard it? I'm listening right now and I can't help but feel a little disappointed. I hope it grows me on me, because when I see them in August, I want to sing along to every song hehe.

Don't like it. :(

I hated the lead single but was hoping it wasn't representative of the rest of the album. Will listen to it some more times to see if anything jumps out at me, but this may be my biggest disappointment so far in 2011.

I still haven't seen these guys live, though. Every damn time they pass through here (which is frequently) I always ponder buying a ticket and then don't buy it. Likewise, they just sold out 3 shows here for the summer and I didn't buy a ticket.

I agree, I hoped for something better. You're A Tourist wasn't so bad to me though, but I expected another good album like Narrow Stairs.

However, I just finished listening to the album and the second half of it is a lot better. The last song 'Stay Young, Go Dancing' is pretty good, might be my favourite.

I don't know what you guys think, but I would have loved if the album was as good as Meet Me On The Equinox. I don't know about you but I looooved the song and I hoped the new album would have that kind of sound too.

I think "Underneath the Sycamore" and "St. Peter's Cathedral" were the two that remotely caught my attention, but those weren't until almost the end.

I actually didn't like "Meet Me on the Equinox", but I thought most of Narrow Stairs was good and that they were heading down an interesting path with that album that was a little different and darker but retained the core Death Cab sound. This one tosses the whole book out the window.

Yeah Underneath the Sycamore was one of my favourite too.

Hmm, I sort of agree with you. I just hope it grows on both of us, cause it'd be terrible not to like a DCFC album. At least, to me haha.

Second listen right now and it already feels a little better, but it'll never be the love at first sight that Narrow Stairs, Plans and Transatlanticism were.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump!

I must talk about the genius of this album. Total, over the past week, I've played the album over 400 times. :freak:.

In my opinion, it's the best DCFC album yet. So grown up, so mature and so relaxed. I just, I fucking love it. "Monday Morning", "St. Peter's Cathedral", and "Stay Young, Go Dancing" are works of genius. AMAZING album.

I absolutely love the new album. I don't know if it's even in my top two albums of theirs, but I think it's great. I think "Monday Morning" and "Stay Young, Go Dancing" are my favorites.

I'm seeing them in Brooklyn on August 2, as I had to sell my ticket to see them in London in July because of a concert-conflict. Does anyone happen to be going to Brooklyn too? I'm going alone and it feels weird to be going to a summery outdoor concert alone :lol:. I go to club/theatre concerts alone all the time in England, but this one feels weird for some reason :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5RD01AGAas]Death Cab for Cutie - Codes and Keys + lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

I'm so, so in love with their new album I can't contain it! It's so incredibly amazing. I wasn't a huge fan of Narrow Stairs so I was worried about this one, but my lord it's so beautiful.

They are quite easily the best American band in the world at the moment.

It's definitely a contender for my album of the year so far. I actually LOVED Narrow Stairs, though, contrary to most of the world :P

Oh wow, really? If you don't mind me asking, why did you enjoy it?

How would you rate their LPS? I'm presuming you've had a good listen to them all? Mine would look like this:

1. We Have the Facts and We're Voting Yes

2. Transatlanticism

3. Codes and Keys

4. The Photo Album

5. Narrow Stairs

6. Plans

7. Something about Airplanes.

edit: By the way, Ben's riff on You Are a Tourist leaves my love Jonny for dead.