✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Can someone help me with the name of this genre of music?

Sarah87

I find it hard to define the difference between rock,british rock,pop/rock and alternative,so I'll name a bunch of people and you tell me what genre they fit in,because people ask me what kind of music do you listen to and I don't know what to call it,it's always a singer/songwriter/guitar/piano,anyways people like John Mayer,Coldplay,Alanis Morrissette,Sarah Maclachlan,Fiona Apple,Rufus Wainwright,Travis,etc,you get the idea I guess,they don't all sound alike but I just can't fit them in a certain category,you know rock,pop,folk.

Excuse the level of ignorance here,but I figured I'd ask instead of being dumb about it.

well yeah I figured they're pop cuz they're popula,or right british pop/rock.

But what about the rest,Is John Mayer,Alanis,Sarah,Rufus and Fiona pop?regardless of the fact that they're mainstream.

Whoa hard to say...but just sayíng "they are all pop" is depressing, I think... there's a diff between the pop Coldplay etc. do and that stuff that's running on the radio. Pop with deeper meaning?

Oh and today I listened to the album Parachutes and thought "no, you couldn't play all these songs on the radio".

I think you can decide in which genre you wanna put them. Coldplay = Britpop or Pop or Alternative Pop/Rock or Indie Pop/Rock...

That rock-pop denomination is sooo overrated and old, it shouldn't be used anymore, btw could somebody define those terms? they just seem so ambiguous for me in these times...

I like the bands I like for their music, never mind if is rock, pop or whatever. There's no need in trying to classify them by those "not very exact" denominations.

Whoa hard to say...but just sayíng "they are all pop" is depressing, I think... there's a diff between the pop Coldplay etc. do and that stuff that's running on the radio. Pop with deeper meaning?

Oh and today I listened to the album Parachutes and thought "no, you couldn't play all these songs on the radio".

I think you can decide in which genre you wanna put them. Coldplay = Britpop or Pop or Alternative Pop/Rock or Indie Pop/Rock...

of course you couldnt play parachutes or sparks but the rest is radio material. half of the album has been radio hits already (yellow, dont panic, trouble, shiver, everythigns not lost).

there is a difference between the material on parachutes and oasis. the production level in particular is different. once you turn to pop there is no deeper meaning. as one can see on x|y the songs are radio formatted in every way. speed of sound has the little bright intro, then a few verses with a happy atmosphere and a chorus, repeats for a while, then the middle changes a little, then the finale of the song sounds like a remarkable end. every song on the radio follows this pattern even if you look at the beastie boys, the bealtes, or even the cure.

yes it is depressing to admit that one of the bands you enjoy is a seelout but thats what happens when you sign to a major label and cant control your output

Yeah,I'm not shying away from the pop label because I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be.

I was jus wondering if there was a category I was missing the name of,I guess I'll continue to refer to these other solo artists as singer/songwriter/guitar/piano people.

Thanks alot for the insight everyone.