✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

SOS used in a commerical.

girlygirl

SO i am watching VH1 and all of a sudden SOS comes on and its a commerical for this tv station call noggin. I was completely shocked considering I know the guys would not allow this. I mean the station would have to ask to use the song right? thought I would let you all know!!

I'm not entirely sure what the ruling is but i think that TV stations can use artists music without permission, for example in the UK the BBC used the song 'Clocks' in a feature about the channel. However if a company want to use a particular song in an advert for a product the artists permission has to be given.

i've got nothing against some bands or artists letting their music be used for adverts. Some small bands and artists are under pressure to make x amout of money or sell x amount of albums or else they will be dropped from their record labels. So i suppose lettig your songs be heard on adverts is just an easy way to get your songs heard by a bigger audience.

I know its not always the right thing to do but i can understand a small band or artist doing it.

I can understand people doing it. it was werid cause coldplay has said they don't let their songs get used in commericals and so on. thats why i found it odd. but for some groups that is exactly what they need. look at the group dirty vegas and the eclipse commerical like 3 years ago.

Wait, I was under the impression that a network HAD to ask a band to use their song for their promos and what not. Like ABC wanted to use Yellow for their stuff, they had to ask.

Either way, I think they make a very fine distinction between selling products and doing promotional work for like channels and shows etc. Like they don't want to tie their songs into say an ad selling shoes, but they're fine with putting their song with say 'House' or something. I'm not really sure how that works in their minds, but hey.

Wait' date=' I was under the impression that a network HAD to ask a band to use their song for their promos and what not. Like ABC wanted to use Yellow for their stuff, they had to ask.[/quote']

ya thats what i was saying thats why i made this thread. but from what i am getting they don't have to if they are using it for tv stations . its just funny they can use it for tv and not ask but a product they have to. i think should have to ask period, but thats just me.

Another thing...

They used the Clocks piano riff on a 'Christian' radio station to promote... well... their own radio station, saying "We play positive christian music."

Gah... Even though 'Clocks' has no christian message whatsoever, I guess they thought it sounded cool. 0_o

But erm, anyways...

And SOS on a 'House' advert? How weird... Speed Of Sound really doesn't related to the show at all. (I absolutely love House)

it doesn't count. They're not advertising a product' date=' like Soap, or Coloured Printers or something. You can't really stop the station playing their song[/quote']

^ exactly! What David has said is correct. Debs told me once that even the usage of their music in a tv show was ok... they arent selling anything, just using the music.

Hi

I'm sure most of the people on this board already know this but according to Debs, who helps run the official coldplay website, the band don't allow their music to be used to advertise a product. They may allow their music be used for films, I think clocks was on the soundtrack for the peter pan movie.

However the band has no control over the use of their music in trailers as this usage falls under a blanket agreement and the tv companies have the right to use music without permission.

so if the bbc, itv, hbo or abc want to use coldplays music in a trailer for a tv programme, they can.

You can find out about this on the official coldplay website in the Q&A section just put adverts in the search box

coldplay said they won't do a song to use it in a commercial.. so threre's no bad things here. i think is the company, radio station, film or any other who decides to use a coldplay song on it; is not coldplay who told the director or agency to put their music on a commercial.

the national channel of spain uses 'clocks' on their auto promo videos since more or less 1 and 1/2 year. (tve1 and la2). :idea2: but they don't use to talk about coldplay on their programmes :dozey: