✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Clocks :: The Meaning

twistedlogic149

Does anyone know the meaning behind Clocks? Up until today, I thought the line "Shoot an apple off my head" was "Shouldn't I pull off my head". It really sounds like both. Anyway -- this is *my* interpretation of it. I think it's all a reference to God.

Lights go out and I can't be saved

This is referring to mankind being in darkness because of our own sin.

Tides that I try to swim against/ Have brought me down upon my knees

No matter how hard we try, we cannot obtain salvation by ourselves.

Oh, I beg, I beg and plead

This expresses the knowledge of the fact that mankind has fallen and the request for forgiveness.

Come out of things unsaid

Maybe this refers to "the Devil"s lies and tricks?

Shoot an apple off my head

You got me here.

Trouble that can't be named, tigers waiting to be tamed

His sin has gotten out of control and he needs forgiveness from God.

You are

The most noticeable reference to God -- the Bible states that God is the "I Am" -- so he's singing it back to God, reaffirming with "You are".

Nothing else compares

Self explanatory.

Confusion never stops, closing walls and ticking clocks

Even when he thinks he's safe, "the Devil"s attacks and lies still come after him.

Come back and take you home, I could not stop, that you now know

No clue here, fellas -- any help?

Come out upon my seas, curse missed opportunities

Perhaps referring to how many times he's been oblivious to God's love before??

A part of the cure, or am I part of the disease

Is he living the life that God demands or is he giving "Christians" a bad name?

Ok so I know it's a stretch. But help me out here -- I'm trying to justify it to my pastor to play it in church... and if I can back up every line of the song, it might work.

Going with your line of interpretation, perhaps "shoot an apple of my head" refers to his hope that God will help absolve him of sin, as the apple is a symbol of sin from the Garden of Eden.

Cheers to you for finding your own personal meaning of this beautiful song. Always a difficult task.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, I've known it was "shoot and apple of my head" but indeed it could be shouldnt i pull of my head as well, sounds identical... Anyway i've always made the link with willem tell but id never get why he put that in his song.

your theory kinda makes sense, just i'd leave the devil out cuz it's a little, i dont know, just a little too much. you're saying something about the failure of mankind... maybe you that's "the devil" in your theory, or something. i dont know lol.

Thanks for the comments, guys! I'm glad you all liked them.

I'm actually going to get to perform this for the talent show at our school (I go to a private Christian school... yeah it sucks)... and we have a $3 Million "Fine Arts Center". $1.5 Million of that went into the lighting system.

Oh yes, it's going to be so sweet. I'm working with the main lighting guy, and we already have the beginning to 'Clocks' programmed. If you win, you're supposed to have an encore song ready... so we'll be doing 'Yellow' or 'Politik'. Can't decide.

Clocks: The Meaning

I think you misunderstood the meaning of the lyrics, in my humble opinion...

I believe Martin is describing death, from HIS point of view...when I hear the song I picture a relatively old man, slowly dying in his bed (probably from some kind of disease), looking back at his life while dealing with the close dissapearence of it...the whole "tides that I try to swim against" and "a tiger is waiting to be tamed" describes the fury of something we can't control, no matter how hard we try to struggle against it, we will never be able to overcome it... [/glow]