✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Truth about Fair Trade?

I was just stating a point that I wish people would do a little thinking for themselves first before being guilted into donating to a charity they do not fully know everything about. I think people should be more educated in this respect.

That's a very fair point- but the point remains that giving to a registered charity through the correct channels can never be a bad thing, and it should only ever be encouraged. When you say people should be more educated- in what way do you mean?

ah hell i always find these threads too late and get there after everything's already been said that i want to say. oh well' date=' i'm not going to waste space saying something over again. (i'm going to waste space with this instead)[/quote']

what's your general viewpoint? i always enjoy reading what you have to say...

i can agree with phil (as said before) as well as with sarah..

i'm not sure what you meant with being more educated.. but in my opinion.. there are many ppl who say they support charity org. etc. but have no clue bout how it works..where the money goes....

as i'm working now with oxfam i tried to inform myself bout their work as much as i could and still try to.. and i feel it's all pretty transparent and if you spent enough effort.. you can find out where the money goes..

but i will find out more :shrug:

i can agree with phil (as said before) as well as with sarah..

i'm not sure what you meant with being more educated.. but in my opinion.. there are many ppl who say they support charity org. etc. but have no clue bout how it works..where the money goes....

as i'm working now with oxfam i tried to inform myself bout their work as much as i could and still try to.. and i feel it's all pretty transparent and if you spent enough effort.. you can find out where the money goes..

but i will find out more :shrug:

thing is, i discovered when talking to many direct debit subscribers, a lot of people don't really care where exactly their money has gone- they are just glad to know it's helping... with all the charities i've come across information packs are given, with a freephone number which you can call and speak to the charity's head office about how their donation is helping. :)

however- i do not personally give to oxfam (at the moment i've got direct debits for action for blind people, scope (children with cerebral palsy) and NSPCC (national society for prevention of cruelty to children)... they have all been fantastic for providing information- i honestly couldn't fault them...

Maybe they work differently in the states/canada...?

no no, actually (referring to Phil's post) it works out the same. However...people dont throw their money away at charities....well l cannot speak for all North Americans. However, my family is involved in donating to 3 charities. Before my mother decided she would donate to them, she looke up info about them on the internet and also called and spoke to people who were associated with those particular charities BEFORE she began to dontate.

I was just stating a point that I wish people would do a little thinking for themselves first before being guilted into donating to a charity they do not fully know everything about. I think people should be more educated in this respect.

That's a very fair point- but the point remains that giving to a registered charity through the correct channels can never be a bad thing, and it should only ever be encouraged. When you say people should be more educated- in what way do you mean?

I mean educated about the cause. Here is my case and point.

Sarah (not me) from the official board went to a Coldplay concert in Utah last January. There were about 4 girls who had made a gigantic banner that said Make Trade Fair. There were screaming it out all the time and proudly chanting "Make Trade Fair". However someone asked these girls what Make Trade Fair is about and they all had no idea and one of them said "I think it has to do with sweatshops". This is just one example of how these girls thought they were doing a good act by promoting this charity, when in fact they had no clue what it was about. Which is going with what you were saying about how some people don't care about the charity, they just are happy they know it's going to a charity.

My point is that I think people should know where their money is going. I totally think that people should be donating to causes, but I also think that people shouldn't be so simple-minded and just believe everything they are told.

I like threads like these because it provokes people to think.

See like at first when I found out that Chris Martin was being attached to Make Trade Fair I didn't know what to think of it. I mean from what I've observed I've seen two types of people with regards to Chris promoting Make Trade Fair

First type - the people who were fans of Coldplay before and when hearing about this cause investigated and learned about it for themselves, through the website and flyers they hand out at shows.

Second type - fans who think they are being cooler by saying "Make Trade Fair" when in fact they have the faintest clue what it is about and don't really have any desire to find out. They are too lazy to think and do research and they think it is good enough just to say that.

I am very happy for the people that know what they are talking about and have an idea what it is about, but I feel sad that there are people who are promoting it for the wrong reasons ie "oh Chris Martin likes it so should I".

this definitely is a great thread- i've enjoyed it a great deal...

you are 100% right sweety_230 (do you mind if i call you sarah? :) ) about the screaming girlies who, the chances are, know nothing about the cause, that's rather bemusing to say the least!

i think that it is the responsibility of the individual to find out where the money goes- as long as there is the option to... if they don't particularly care, then fair enough, it's their money...

i don't have a problem with chris promoting the cause, but yes, the sloganeering can be a bit much (writing on the hands etc), it hardly encourages fans to think carefully about it.

you take a very balanced view, sarah, but unfortunately not everyone can- i received a PM from the sender of the original letter which i found rather offensive, which angered me a great deal- for this reason i'd rather not participate in the debate much further, i don't come on this board for that sort of thing...

but it's been very interesting, thanks guys :)

i received a PM from the sender of the original letter which i found rather offensive, which angered me a great deal- for this reason i'd rather not participate in the debate much further, i don't come on this board for that sort of thing...

i'm so sorry to hear that!

and i'll be sad if you don't post your opinion bout this any longer..if i understood right..

cause you can put it into words much better than me :wink:

don't let ya discourage!

i'm sure not only me is glad to read your posts here

this definitely is a great thread- i've enjoyed it a great deal...

you are 100% right sweety_230 (do you mind if i call you sarah? :) ) about the screaming girlies who, the chances are, know nothing about the cause, that's rather bemusing to say the least!

i think that it is the responsibility of the individual to find out where the money goes- as long as there is the option to... if they don't particularly care, then fair enough, it's their money...

i don't have a problem with chris promoting the cause, but yes, the sloganeering can be a bit much (writing on the hands etc), it hardly encourages fans to think carefully about it.

you take a very balanced view, sarah, but unfortunately not everyone can- i received a PM from the sender of the original letter which i found rather offensive, which angered me a great deal- for this reason i'd rather not participate in the debate much further, i don't come on this board for that sort of thing...

but it's been very interesting, thanks guys :)

Please call me Sarah, I hate being called by my username. I hate it :roll:

I don't think she should be harrasing you by PM you are entitled to your opinion, and you seem to know what you are talking about! Which is a refreshing change from other people.

not harassment as such- i just found sentences such as very trying...

"So, we give Africans money and all they do is buy guns to kill their population. We teach Africans how to farm and their governments thank us by killing us.... just maybe, the Africans don't want world peace, etc.. like we do, and we should just let them be. "

there's just no point even trying to reason, it's just bigotry, plain and simple... and i don't really want to be getting into all that- i have a lot on my mind and any response to that would just get heated.