✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

"Death fascinates us" - Short interview with Will Champion

Larry

Good morning,

just found a short German interview with Will Champion and I'm not sure if it has been posted here before.

----------------------------------------------------------

080612_will_slideshow.jpg

GERMAN:

„Der Tod fasziniert uns“

Die britische Erfolgsband Coldplay meldet sich mit dem Album „Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends“ zurück – doch wo Sänger Chris Martins Stimme auf vergangenen Platten über Liebe und Glück sang, geht es jetzt um Leben und Tod. Schlagzeuger Will Champion erklärt im Gespräch mit beQueen, warum das so sein muss.

Will Champion, das neue Coldplay-Album heißt «Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends». Wie seid Ihr auf diesen Namen gekommen?

Will Champion: Wir haben das Album erst nur «Viva la Vida» getauft, weil es eine Hommage an das Leben sein soll. Wir waren zu diesem Zeitpunkt in Mexico City, wo wir Frida Kahlos Haus besuchten und dort diesem Zitat begegneten. Wir lieben Kahlos Kunst und waren sprachlos angesichts der Energie des Hauses, das in prächtigen, ausdrucksstarken Farben eine ganz spezielle Atmosphäre schafft. Uns war zu diesem Zeitpunkt klar, dass wir zu monoton waren. Wir wollten weg vom Schwarzweißen und hin zum Farbigen.

Und wann ist Euch bewusst geworden, dass man Euch auf Grund von „Viva la Vida“ unweigerlich mit Ricky Martin in Verbindung bringen würde?

Zum Glück ist uns das ziemlich früh an Reaktionen in unserem engsten Umfeld aufgefallen. Und da wir auf keinen Fall wollten, dass unsere Fans glauben, wir würden jetzt auf den musikalischen Spuren eines Latinostars wandeln, mussten wir für den Namen eine Lösung finden. Chris hatte dann die Idee, dem Album einen zweiten Namen zu geben. Das hat er sich von Shakespeare abgeschaut. Der hat seinen Texten auch immer Doppelnamen verpasst.

Das scheint nicht das Einzige zu sein, was er sich abgeschaut hat: Wie bei Shakespeare kreisen auch Chris Martins Texte auf diesem neuen Album um den Tod. Warum?

Dieses Thema hat uns schon lange fasziniert. Denn der Tod ist das Einzige, das uns alle verbindet, egal, ob arm oder reich. Er ist unausweichlich, das ist sicher. Es gibt also zwei verschiedene Arten, mit dieser Information umzugehen: Man kann sich vor dem Tod fürchten, oder man kann aus dem Hier und Jetzt das Beste machen.

Für welche Option hast Du Dich entschieden?

Ich habe einige Menschen in meinem engsten Bekanntenkreis verloren, und das ist immer brutal. Es ist so endgültig, und egal, wie man es dreht und wendet, es tut einfach schrecklich weh. Trotzdem versuche ich, im Moment zu leben und das Leben zu genießen.

Beim Namen Coldplay kommen vielen Leuten als erstes Sänger Chris Martin und seine Beziehung zur Hollywood-Schauspielerin Gwyneth Paltrow in den Sinn. Nervt Dich das?

Das trifft auf Leute zu, die sich in erster Linie für Klatsch und Tratsch interessieren. Vor 15 Jahren hat man sich noch mit den Nachbarn am Gartenzaun getroffen und über alles mögliche ausgetauscht. Heute, wo es kaum mehr Gemeinschaftssinn gibt, findet das im Internet statt, in das sich die ganze Welt reinklickt. Ich beneide Chris und Gwyneth gar nicht um diese Art von Aufmerksamkeit.

Interview: Sarah Elena Schwerzmann, London

Quelle: http://www.bequeen.de/lifestyle/kultur/interview-mit-will-champion-schlagzeuger-von-coldplay-viva-la-vida---cd-tipp-66850

ENGLISH:

"Death fascinates us"

The successful British band Coldplay returns with the album "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends" - but where singer Chris Martin's voice sang of love and happiness in the past, it is now about life and death. Drummer Will Champion explains in the interview with beQueen why this has to be.

Will Champion, the new Coldplay album is called "Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends." How did you come to this name?

Will Champion: We have only baptized the album "Viva la Vida", because it is a tribute to life itself. At this time we were in Mexico City, where we visited Frida Kahlo's house and encountered this quote. We love Kahlo's art and were speechless in the face of the energy of the house, where the magnificent, expressive colors give a very special atmosphere. At this time we realized that we were too monotonous. We wanted to go away from black and white towards to colour.

And when did you become aware of the fact that on the basis of "Viva la Vida" you would bring inevitably connection with Ricky Martin?

Fortunately, we noticed reactions in our closest environment pretty early. And because we didn't want our fans to believe we would now convert on the musical traces of a latino star, we had to find a solution about this name. Then Chris had the idea to give the album a second name. He adopted it from Shakespeare. He has always given his words double names.

It seems not to be the only thing which Chris has adopted. As with Shakespeare Chris Martins also circulate words on this new album to death. Why?

This topic has fascinated us for a long time. Because death is the only thing that connects us all, whether poor or rich. It is inevitable, that's for sure. Which is why there are two different types to deal with this information: You can fear death, or you can make the best of a bad job right here and now.

Which option do you decide?

I have lost some people in my closest circle of friends and this is always brutal. It is final, and you can twist and wriggle as much as you like, it simply terribly hurt. However, at the moment I try to live and enjoy life.

In regard to Coldplay many people think about the first singer Chris Martin and his relationship to Hollywood actress Gwyneth Paltrow at first. Are you annoyed for this reason?

This applies to people who are primarily interested in gossip. 15 years ago, you met your neighbour at the garden fence and changed all sorts of things. Today, where there is barely a sense of community, it takes place on the internet, which the whole world is using. I don't envy Chris and Gwyneth about this kind of attention.

Interview: Sarah Elena Schwerzmann, London

Source: http://www.bequeen.de/lifestyle/kultur/interview-mit-will-champion-schlagzeuger-von-coldplay-viva-la-vida---cd-tipp-66850

Sorry for my bad translation! It's too early in the morning for me! :D (bad excuse I know :wacky:)

Hey Larry

Thanks for posting this. A good interview, I like Will Champion's style.

Ah the good old garden fence, what happen to those days? Uh-oh, I've just got an image of Les Dawson & Roy Barraclough's, Cissie and Ada comedy sketch. The one with Cissie and Ada chatting over the garden wall. Sorry about that. Anyway, I never knew Chris Martin had adopted the title from Shakespeare nor that he has always given his words double names, I'd love to explore that a bit. Nice find, Larry!

In regard to Coldplay many people think about the first singer Chris Martin and his relationship to Hollywood actress Gwyneth Paltrow at first. Are you annoyed for this reason?

This applies to people who are primarily interested in gossip. 15 years ago, you met your neighbour at the garden fence and changed all sorts of things. Today, where there is barely a sense of community, it takes place on the internet, which the whole world is using. I don't envy Chris and Gwyneth about this kind of attention.

needless to say i hated this question because i am not annoyed by their paparazzi attention or any other attention too.

or even i don't say that its great to have that attention.

i already doesn't like his wife well its an other matter.......

i am also not at all jealous.

when it comes to coldplay i always think about coldplay only but not Chris and gwyneth's personal life stories on internet or their glamorous relationship.

i love coldplay,i love chris.:kiss: