✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The 7th Mixtape Exchange (1ST POST UPDATE)

ivet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Review for Bryce:

01: Atmospheric, nice male vocals. Drum machine, synths and nice harmonies. A nice start! Very interested to know who this is.

02: Lost in the World feat. Bon Iver - Kanye West. Despite the tremendous overuse of autotune, it’s one of my favourites from the new album.

03: The way the sound goes from ear to ear in this song almost makes me feel a little dizzy! Falsetto, some interesting percussion and electronic sounds. I love this sort of music, interested to find out who this is, too.

04: Electronic, kinda relaxing. Interesting sounds. Mew? I’ve never listened to them extensively but something about this song reminds me of them.

05: I knew this band would pop up in this mixtape somewhere :P Parallel Universe by Gypsy & the Cat! LOVE this tune. Pretty piano, synths, echoing drums and nice vocals.

06: Trans-Ending – Seabellies. Another great tune, I especially love the addition of trumpets at the end of the song.

07: Duet between male and high-pitched female. It’s familiar but I can’t quite pick who it is.

08: Why Won’t You Make Up Your Mind? - Tame Impala. I approve.

09: There’s Nothing In the Water We Can’t Fight – Cloud Control. God I love this band. This mixtape is shaping up very nicely.

10: And The Boys – Angus and Julia Stone. Another fine 2010 Aussie song.

11: Beautiful piano intro, beautiful singing. My Love by Sia. From the soundtrack of the new Twilight movie. Funny how such terrible movies can have such amazing soundtracks.

12: An acoustic version of Bloodbuzz Ohio by The National. I’d hear of this version but hadn’t actually listened to it. Love it!

13: At the start it sounded familiar, and then I realised it was A Walk in the Park by Beach House, but a version I’ve never heard before… what version is this?? I really like it. This is my favourite track from Teen Dream.

14: Strange lyrics on this one. Not a huge fan of the vocals (though they’re growing on me after three listens) but the music behind them is really nice. I’m going to take a stab at the artist… Los Campensinos? I’ve only listened to one song by them, once, so I could be wrong :P

15: Back to some electronic music! A familiar intro – ahh, it’s a remix of Arcade Fire’s Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains). Catchy, I can be a bit touch-and-go with remixes but this one’s pretty good. A nice, upbeat way to finish off the mixtape.

I know the mixtape wasn’t made for me, but I'm just going to say, if it had been then I'd have been very pleased with it! As you'd predicted I knew a majority of the songs, but I still thought it was pieced together very nicely and I enjoyed it a lot!

I know my review probably doesn't compare to actually having your mixtape reviewed by the person it was intended for, and I apologise that it's bit short.

But all in all, I loved it! And I'm very interested to find out a couple of those bands.

:D

Review for Bryce:

01: Atmospheric, nice male vocals. Drum machine, synths and nice harmonies. A nice start! Very interested to know who this is.

02: Lost in the World feat. Bon Iver - Kanye West. Despite the tremendous overuse of autotune, it’s one of my favourites from the new album.

03: The way the sound goes from ear to ear in this song almost makes me feel a little dizzy! Falsetto, some interesting percussion and electronic sounds. I love this sort of music, interested to find out who this is, too.

04: Electronic, kinda relaxing. Interesting sounds. Mew? I’ve never listened to them extensively but something about this song reminds me of them.

05: I knew this band would pop up in this mixtape somewhere :P Parallel Universe by Gypsy & the Cat! LOVE this tune. Pretty piano, synths, echoing drums and nice vocals.

06: Trans-Ending – Seabellies. Another great tune, I especially love the addition of trumpets at the end of the song.

07: Duet between male and high-pitched female. It’s familiar but I can’t quite pick who it is.

08: Why Won’t You Make Up Your Mind? - Tame Impala. I approve.

09: There’s Nothing In the Water We Can’t Fight – Cloud Control. God I love this band. This mixtape is shaping up very nicely.

10: And The Boys – Angus and Julia Stone. Another fine 2010 Aussie song.

11: Beautiful piano intro, beautiful singing. My Love by Sia. From the soundtrack of the new Twilight movie. Funny how such terrible movies can have such amazing soundtracks.

12: An acoustic version of Bloodbuzz Ohio by The National. I’d hear of this version but hadn’t actually listened to it. Love it!

13: At the start it sounded familiar, and then I realised it was A Walk in the Park by Beach House, but a version I’ve never heard before… what version is this?? I really like it. This is my favourite track from Teen Dream.

14: Strange lyrics on this one. Not a huge fan of the vocals (though they’re growing on me after three listens) but the music behind them is really nice. I’m going to take a stab at the artist… Los Campensinos? I’ve only listened to one song by them, once, so I could be wrong :P

15: Back to some electronic music! A familiar intro – ahh, it’s a remix of Arcade Fire’s Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains). Catchy, I can be a bit touch-and-go with remixes but this one’s pretty good. A nice, upbeat way to finish off the mixtape.

I know the mixtape wasn’t made for me, but I'm just going to say, if it had been then I'd have been very pleased with it! As you'd predicted I knew a majority of the songs, but I still thought it was pieced together very nicely and I enjoyed it a lot!

I know my review probably doesn't compare to actually having your mixtape reviewed by the person it was intended for, and I apologise that it's bit short.

But all in all, I loved it! And I'm very interested to find out a couple of those bands.

:D

Thanks heaps for the review Grace! I really appreciate it. As you could see, the main reason I made it was to introduce a lot of Australian music to whoever the lucky person was that got the tape but that doesn't matter, because it was still awesome that you reviewed it. Here is the tracklisting:

Track - Artist - Album

1. I Walked - Sufjan Stevens - The Age Of Adz

2. Lost In The World - Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

3. Kaili - Caribou - Swim

4. Mmmhmm (feat. Thundercat) - Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

5. Parallel Universe - Gypsy And The Cat - Gilgamesh

6. Trans Ending - Seabellies - By Limbo Lake

7. Hunters - Parades - Foreign Tapes

8. Make Up Your Mind - Tame Impala - Innerspeaker

9. There's Nothing In The Water That We Can't Fight - Cloud Control - Bliss Release

10. And The Boys - Angus & Julia Stone - Down The Way

11. My Love - Sia - Twilight Saga: Eclipse Soundtrack

12. Bloodbuzz Ohio (Live At Current) - The National - High Violet (Expanded Edition)

13. Walk In The Park (iTunes Sesssion) - Beach House - Itunes Session EP

14. Letters From Me To Charlotte (RSVP) - Los Campesinos! - All's Well That Ends EP

15. Sprawl II (Thunderlust Remix) - Arcade Fire - N/A

The artists that you didn't recognise are definitely worth checking out. All of them were from album releases last year.

^ No problems Bryce, glad I could help a bit :nice:

That's interesting, because I actually have the Caribou album (lol) and I've been meaning to get Sufjan, Parades and Flying Lotus for aaaages. I'll definitely get onto it now :awesome:

FUCK YEAH HERES MY REVIEW WOO. I thought I'd posted it on Monday, but apparently I didn't. Sorry about that. :/

1. I think this one is pretty okay. The vocals aren't the greatest in the world and sound somewhat familiar, but I still think they are alright. (3/5 stars?)

2. Erm, not a fan of the vocals at all in this pne. Sorry. :P

3. Still not a fan of vocals, sorry. I do very much like everything besides that though.

4. Okay, the vocals ARE better than last time, but I'm still not a fan of them. This song is also kind of catchy though. :tongue3:

5. Los Campesinos? I'm 90% sure this is them. I like a little Los Campesinos every once in a great while too.

6. I like I like I like. I've actually been listening to stuff like this recently. A++

7. This is okay. I'm not too big a fan of the female singer though.

8. M'kay, this song is alright. I like how it builds up.

9. This one is alright. Except for the vocals, but the rest is very good.

10. I REALLY like this one. Everything about it really. Very nice.

11. :(

12. Not the best, but not the worst. 3/5

13. I also quite like this one! No complaints, A+.

14. I LOVE this one. It seems so very nice and simple! Favorite track for sure.

FUCK YEAH HERES MY REVIEW WOO. I thought I'd posted it on Monday, but apparently I didn't. Sorry about that. :/

1. I think this one is pretty okay. The vocals aren't the greatest in the world and sound somewhat familiar, but I still think they are alright. (3/5 stars?)

2. Erm, not a fan of the vocals at all in this pne. Sorry. :P

3. Still not a fan of vocals, sorry. I do very much like everything besides that though.

4. Okay, the vocals ARE better than last time, but I'm still not a fan of them. This song is also kind of catchy though. :tongue3:

5. Los Campesinos? I'm 90% sure this is them. I like a little Los Campesinos every once in a great while too.

6. I like I like I like. I've actually been listening to stuff like this recently. A++

7. This is okay. I'm not too big a fan of the female singer though.

8. M'kay, this song is alright. I like how it builds up.

9. This one is alright. Except for the vocals, but the rest is very good.

10. I REALLY like this one. Everything about it really. Very nice.

11. :(

12. Not the best, but not the worst. 3/5

13. I also quite like this one! No complaints, A+.

14. I LOVE this one. It seems so very nice and simple! Favorite track for sure.

Haha, nice timing. I made that. :) Taking it song by song, here's how it breaks down:

The Hare Runs Into The Fire

01. Miracle Bell - Welcome (Light Shape Sound)

02. British Sea Power - Carrion (The Decline Of British Sea Power)

03. Frightened Rabbit - The Modern Leper (The Midnight Organ Fight)

04. Our Lost Infantry - The Arsonist

05. Los Campesinos - A Heat Rash In The Shape Of The Show Me State (Romance Is Boring

06. Maybeshewill - I'm In Awe, Amadeus! (Not For Want Of Trying)

07. Mice Parade - Couches And Carpets (What It Means To Be Left-Handed

08. Mogwai - San Pedro (Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will)

09. There Will Be Fireworks - Foreign Thoughts (self-titled)

10. Johnny Foreigner - JFNV

11. Blood Red Shoes - It's Getting Boring By The Sea (Box Of Secrets)

12. Les Savy Fav - Let's Get Out Of Here (Root For Ruin)

13. Maps and Atlases - Solid Ground (Perch Patchwork)

14. Villagers - To Be Counted Among Men (Becoming A Jackal)

What did you think overall?

Haha, nice timing. I made that. :) Taking it song by song, here's how it breaks down:

The Hare Runs Into The Fire

01. Miracle Bell - Welcome (Light Shape Sound)

02. British Sea Power - Carrion (The Decline Of British Sea Power)

03. Frightened Rabbit - The Modern Leper (The Midnight Organ Fight)

04. Our Lost Infantry - The Arsonist

05. Los Campesinos - A Heat Rash In The Shape Of The Show Me State (Romance Is Boring

06. Maybeshewill - I'm In Awe, Amadeus! (Not For Want Of Trying)

07. Mice Parade - Couches And Carpets (What It Means To Be Left-Handed

08. Mogwai - San Pedro (Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will)

09. There Will Be Fireworks - Foreign Thoughts (self-titled)

10. Johnny Foreigner - JFNV

11. Blood Red Shoes - It's Getting Boring By The Sea (Box Of Secrets)

12. Les Savy Fav - Let's Get Out Of Here (Root For Ruin)

13. Maps and Atlases - Solid Ground (Perch Patchwork)

14. Villagers - To Be Counted Among Men (Becoming A Jackal)

What did you think overall?

Hi there! Thanks for the mixtape and your patience (for my review). :)

I very much liked it overall, even if a bit of my review says otherwise, I love being introduced to new music... I like how nicely the songs flowed together. And now that I look at the track listing, I remember some of these musicians being mentioned to me before. It was pleasant to finally give them a listen! I'll try and look into some other work by the artists I liked on the tape.

• 2 weeks later...
here[/url] if the other link doesn't work fine.

I hope that it works and you enjoy it. :)

thanks a lot for taking the time.

I saw this the last time I log in and dowloaded the music but I weren't sure if I would post a review or not so I didn't say anything! I finally made a review of your mixtape, so here we go:

01. Nice intro with piano then little by little other instruments are put in (strings, drums, trumpets, …). The music is calm at the beginning then it becomes uplifting! It seems to be Jónsi or Sigur Rós to me?

02. Intro with piano then little by little strings, some electronics beats. No lyrics but a word in Spanish (it seems Spanish to me) saying but distorted. It made me think it could be a Gorillaz track?

03. It’s a mix between some heavy metal beats and some electronics beats. Is it HIM? But I don’t really recognize Ville Valo’s voice or maybe he uses another tone?

04. Definitely The Editors! I so love the singer’s voice! But I don’t know the name of the song!

05. The song has a gothic mood. It’s a mix between “classic” and metal! I think I recognize the voice of the singer of Evanescence, Amy Lee! The music and voice work great together!

06. It’s a folk-ish/indie track. It makes you want to dance! It is sung by a guy in English!

07. Isn’t it Snow Patrol? I have heard the singer’s voice before and the music is very like this band!

08. It’s a duet between a man and a woman, it’s a folk-ish ballad! The two voices work great together! I already have heard this song, maybe Pete Yorn and Scarlett Johansson?

09. It seems to be a track done by/with Jack White! It’s a rock song with two singers: two men! Maybe The Raconteurs?

10. I already have heard this song somewhere, sometime but I can put a name on it, grrr :D It’s a rock song and the singer’s voice is kind of deep!

11. It seems to me to be Sting or maybe The Police? Maybe the title is “Invisible song” as sung in the chorus?

12. It’s Spanish traditional music with acoustic guitars and hands clapping but surprise at the end some electrics guitars are in! Nice ending! No lyrics on this track.

13. The song reminded me of Supertramp! At the beginning, it’s quite rock then some jazzy sounds come in!

14. An acoustic song with guitar and no lyrics or other instruments. It’s a calm song!

15. A ballad, with some trumpets at the end, sung by a male singer in English. The voice resembles a bit of the one of Charlie Winston!

16. A soft rock ballad sung by a man with a deep voice, in English.

17. Love this piece of music by our beloved Coldplay: Postcards From Far Away! It’s always a pleasure to hear it!

18. It’s an indie/electro track, a bit like Bat for Lashes. A woman is singing in English. I sense a dark atmosphere coming from the song!

I appreciated the variety of music styles: rock, acoustic, alternative,...

I enjoyed listening to the tracks 1, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 17!

Great mixtape, great job :thumbsup:

I saw this the last time I log in and dowloaded the music but I weren't sure if I would post a review or not so I didn't say anything! I finally made I review of your mixtape, so here we go:

01. Nice intro with piano then little by little other instruments are put in (strings, drums, trumpets, …). The music is calm at the beginning then it becomes uplifting! It seems to be Jónsi or Sigur Rós to me?

Right: hoppípolla - sigúr ros

02. Intro with piano then little by little strings, some electronics beats. No lyrics but a word in Spanish (it seems Spanish to me) saying but distorted. It made me think it could be a Gorillaz track?

exangue - benjamin biolay

is a french singer, i still remember this song was the intro when i saw him live, is labeled as crooner or jazz, anyways i think he is awesome.

03. It’s a mix between some heavy metal beats and some electronics beats. Is it HIM? But I don’t really recognize Ville Valo’s voice or maybe he uses another tone?

in the arms of rain - him

yeah one of the two kinda electronic tracks of their last album.

04. Definitely The Editors! I so love the singer’s voice! But I don’t know the name of the song!

bones - editors

05. The song has a gothic mood. It’s a mix between “classic” and metal! I think I recognize the voice of the singer of Evanescence, Amy Lee! The music and voice work great together!

lacrymosa - evanescence

06. It’s a folk-ish/indie track. It makes you want to dance! It is sung by a guy in English!

whistle for the choir - the fratellis

a bit off their hit 'chelsea dagger'.

07. Isn’t it Snow Patrol? I have heard the singer’s voice before and the music is very like this band!

gleaming auction - snow patrol

08. It’s a duet between a man and a woman, it’s a folk-ish ballad! The two voices work great together! I already have heard this song, maybe Pete Yorn and Scarlett Johansson?

volcano - damien rice

great album and great duo.

09. It seems to be a track done by/with Jack White! It’s a rock song with two singers: two men! Maybe The Raconteurs?

level - the raconteurs

one of my fave two tracks of their first album (along with Blue Veins).

10. I already have heard this song somewhere, sometime but I can put a name on it, grrr :D It’s a rock song and the singer’s voice is kind of deep!

dakota - stereophonics

i love his husky voice.

11. It seems to me to be Sting or maybe The Police? Maybe the title is “Invisible song” as sung in the chorus?

invisible sun - the police

indeed the police.

12. It’s Spanish traditional music with acoustic guitars and hands clapping but surprise at the end some electrics guitars are in! Nice ending! No lyrics on this track.

that was the 'tricky' track.

serpent dream - mike oldfield

Mike don't use to have lyric tracks, i loved this honorable tribute he made to spanish guitar here, hats off to such a good playing.

13. The song reminded me of Supertramp! At the beginning, it’s quite rock then some jazzy sounds come in!

that one meant to give a hint who the mixtape maker was.

darlene - led zeppelin

yet one of my fave songs by this awesome band along with the more drummy tracks.

14. An acoustic song with guitar and no lyrics or other instruments. It’s a calm song!

guitar tune - jose maria guerra/the viper sound

national artist not so known, is a well selftaught guitar player, learnt by listening the masters of ambient electronic as Mike Oldield, Vangelis or Jean Michel Jarre.

His album is able for free in Jamendo. He is an awesome guy.

15. A ballad, with some trumpets at the end, sung by a male singer in English. The voice resembles a bit of the one of Charlie Winston!

weather to fly - elbow

i shall check Charlie Winston then, never heard that one before.

16. A soft rock ballad sung by a man with a deep voice, in English.

dreams in colour - david fonseca

my fave portuguese singer, i absolutely admire his work.

17. Love this piece of music by our beloved Coldplay: Postcards From Far Away! It’s always a pleasure to hear it!

postcards from far away - coldplay

18. It’s an indie/electro track, a bit like Bat for Lashes. A woman is singing in English. I sense a dark atmosphere coming from the song!

keep the streets empty for me - fever ray

solo work of the girl of the swedish duo The Knife.

I appreciated the variety of music styles: rock, acoustic, alternative,...

I enjoyed listening to the tracks 1, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 17!

Great mixtape, great job :thumbsup:

yay finally it got reviewed, thanks a lot Deirdre, and great to know that you enjoyed it.

commented on the quoted text.

yay finally it got reviewed, thanks a lot Deirdre, and great to know that you enjoyed it.

commented on the quoted text.

You're very welcome! I had a great time listening to it!

02. exangue - benjamin biolay

is a french singer, i still remember this song was the intro when i saw him live, is labeled as crooner or jazz, anyways i think he is awesome.

Waouh, I wouldn't have thought of him. His last album was very appreciated by the critics but before he was trashed by them because of his behaviour! I don't really know his music but the singles I heard don't really make me want to discover it!

Charlie Winston is an English singer who had a huge succes in France with his first album "Hobo". Here is a live of "Hobo" (the first single) on a french music tv show.

By the way, you can also find lives from Bejamin Biolay on this show!

You're very welcome! I had a great time listening to it!

Waouh, I wouldn't have thought of him. His last album was very appreciated by the critics but before he was trashed by them because of his behaviour! I don't really know his music but the singles I heard don't really make me want to discover it!

Charlie Winston is an English singer who had a huge succes in France with his first album "Hobo". Here is a live of "Hobo" (the first single) on a french music tv show.

By the way, you can also find lives from Bejamin Biolay on this show!

yeah La Superbe is indeed superbe double cd.

what with his behaviour? :confused: i didn't knew that though doesn't surprise me really.

all i know is he quitted the label record cause they don't let him release so many double cds and so soon.

i absolutely enjoyed his concert even when the venue wasn't so good.

i shall check better Charlie Winston.

thanks a lot for the live links :D

• 2 weeks later...

You're welcome for the links ;)

A few years ago, from what I remember, he had a superior behaviour when talking about other singers during interviews, like "I am the best, others are crap" but now he seems more humble! I didn't know about the label record issue, well I don't follow his news, so! It's cool you enjoyed the concert but what's with the venue?

You're welcome for the links ;)

A few years ago, from what I remember, he had a superior behaviour when talking about other singers during interviews, like "I am the best, others are crap" but now he seems more humble! I didn't know about the label record issue, well I don't follow his news, so! It's cool you enjoyed the concert but what's with the venue?

ah i didn't knew that, i guess that is a bit common those days then.

Yeah he had a big issue for creating too much music, not the first time it happen in music, but as labels use to prefer a 12 tracks album each couple years, he broke it several times doing double CDs quite often and both sides got pissed.

ah well venue is the patio of the army museum, is not so big. I think the open auditiroum would had been much better venue, as is in grade and round shape instead of plain and square one. Sound was good anyways but for the brief boycot to his sister Coralie Clément part. Yet i dunno who be brought on stage at some point.

• 4 weeks later...

As spring arrives, it would be nice to make another exchange. I have so many ideas!

I don't think I can do it by myself because I'm not that good in english to answer questions and explain things but I would be happy to help.