✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

ColdplayCorner interview with Matt McGinn Jonny's guitar tech

coldplay12

crbst_10.jpg

1) First of all, good morning Matt, I hope you're fine and thank you for giving us this interview, especially now, with the movements of the band all around, after the release of Christmas Lights.

No problem.

2) When and how did you meet the band and how did you come to work with them ?

...I was asked to drive their van to Blackpool from London, back in 2000. We hit it off and here we all are, ten years later!

3) Tell us about the atmosphere that prevails when working with a band like Coldplay, what should we expect ?

It's happy and fun but also quite serious. Can get tense, too, but only because everyone wants it to be the best thing.

4) Tell us what you think about the French fans...

All the fans around the world are great, but I thinkl the French are among the noisiest. This is a good thing!

5) And what is your best memory or live in France ?

See below...

6) Chris reportedly said that " the best Viva La Vida Tour concert was the one of the Parc Des Princes, 7. September 2009". You confirm ?

That day has a happy memory for me - my daughter (who is 4 now) loves Viva La Vida and calls it 'Daddy Song'. She was running around at the soundcheck when the band suddenly started to play it really loud - I'll never forget the look on her face!

7) And the work on the new album, what about the recording sessions ? Can we say that the album is completed/ready or not yet ?

It's in a good place right now but who knows? With Coldplay, everything changes, right til the end!

8) Viva La Vida tour spanned more than 180 dates in different countries across the globe, sometimes in two different countries in just 24 hours... It has been difficult for you and all the staff of the band, hours of aircraft, hours of assembly et disassembly of equipment... How you and the rest of the staff have lived it ?

It was tiring but amazing. The hard part is coming home and trying to be normal, in a house.

9) At the inauguration of the Cosmopolitain Hotel, were you with the band ? If yes, tell us how it was...

You mean Las Vegas? It was a cool night. I thought Jonny's guitar playing was better than ever.

10) The worst live act you have lived with Coldplay ?

Probably the outdoor Viva show in Abu Dhabi, when we were hit by a freak storm that nearly destroyed the equipment. Or Werchter Festival, Belgium, during Rush Of Blood; the guitar rig went silent in front of 30,000 people and I couldn't fix it. Terrible!

11) By not mentioning Jonny, who is the person you love most in the group or staff, and why ?

Hoppy, who is Chris Martin's guitar tech. He is like a big brother. But so is everyone...or a sister, if

it's a girl.

12) Did you already know ColdplayCorner before, or not at all ?

No, I wasn't aware of the website before but have been looking at it today. Very nice indeed!

13) What do you do when you have free time ?

Sleep, drink beer with friends, spend time with my family, sleep some more, drive around listening to AC/DC, etc.

14) Frankly Matt, a Coldplay song that you love ?

Clocks, always, every time, knocks me sideways. It is incredible, whichever way you look at it, especially at a concert if, like me, you're standing near the guitar amps. Brilliant riffs, drums, piano, melody, everything. So powerful.

15) Did you already know France before, or not at all ?

Not really... but I'd been to Isigny-Sur-Mer with my school, on an exchange, in about 1979. Crazy times, like any bunch of teenagers away from home...probably gave me the taste for touring!

16) Finally Matt, thank you for giving us a little of your time and we wish you a very good start in the year 2011 , with all our best wishes for you and the band ! Could you say a word to ColdplayCorner ? Because we just celebrate the fifth anniversary of the site , on January 4. last ( we are here since 2005 and online since 2006 ).

Good luck, keep the faith. Thankyou for asking me to do this interview.

17) A word to all the French fans and a few words in French if it's not asking too much.. ?

Merci! Vive La France!

--------------------------------

ColdplayFrance.com

Thanks for sharing! :)

That day has a happy memory for me - my daughter (who is 4 now) loves Viva La Vida and calls it 'Daddy Song'. She was running around at the soundcheck when the band suddenly started to play it really loud - I'll never forget the look on her face!

This is sweet. :D

That's really cute :nice:

Thanks for the interview