✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

For old school Coldplayers only

nvdmm

I'm afraid I simply don't agree. U2 have changed more, more times, than virtually any othr band I can think of. Boy is only a bit like the Unforgetable Fire which is only a bit like rattle and hum which is nothing like Achtung Baby, which is different from Pop which is the opposite of ATYCLB and HTDAAB etc. U2 does not have the same sound for 35 years, and I would contend that's a large part of why they're the best.

this with flashing exclamation points. clearly someone hasn't listened to 35 years worth of u2.

I just remembered that it may be noteworthy to post here the example of Shakira. Although probably some of you don't know, earlier on she really had amazing albums in Spanish, with very good songs. Now she has gone nuts to please the mainstream audience and the quality of her music has gone down as fast as jumping from a cliff.

I really hope that's not the case with Coldplay.

With ETIAW they went a little into that direction, but from the new songs we heard the other day at Rock Am Ring, I think there's no doubt that the boys will be back with an amazing and worthy of recognition LP5.

this with flashing exclamation points. clearly someone hasn't listened to 35 years worth of u2.

you've misunderstood my point. i never said bands shouldn't shift in to a different direction, but rather stay true to what made them Coldplay or U2 etc in the first place. thats what U2 have done of course they've always been evolving and changing directions but as our friend said they maintained what makes them U2. and no my friend i have "clearly" listened to 35 years worth of U2 ;)

as with Coldplay i think they changed so drastically i cant recognize them as the same band. but thats NOT the problem. i have no issue with them changing, rather the quality of music they produce. i mean just listen to a rush (the song) and then ETIAW. you get my point. for me VLV was no where near as good as AROBTTH not because it was so different but because i felt something was compromised and that was quality. anyway this is all personal opinion so.....

anyway this is all personal opinion so.....

Yes, indeed, and I think some/many of our opinions are just different from yours.

(I know there's a gap in my argumentation, so beyond this point let's pretend ETIAW never happened.)

I believe that Coldplay are still Coldplay, and I love VLV (the album, the track I'm not so keen on, but I still like it). I recognise that they're still the same band, the same people. But of course I can't force you to like it. VLV has good quality though. It's just different from a Rush of Blood, so you can't compare. That's a good thing, because I'd rather they make something different but still very good, than the same thing, which will not really be the same and as a result be less good.

LP5 will also have good stuff, and I honestly think that I will like it, even though we can't really know at this stage. However I can't know or promise that you will like it too.

you've misunderstood my point. i never said bands shouldn't shift in to a different direction, but rather stay true to what made them Coldplay or U2 etc in the first place. thats what U2 have done of course they've always been evolving and changing directions but as our friend said they maintained what makes them U2. and no my friend i have "clearly" listened to 35 years worth of U2 ;)

as with Coldplay i think they changed so drastically i cant recognize them as the same band. but thats NOT the problem. i have no issue with them changing, rather the quality of music they produce. i mean just listen to a rush (the song) and then ETIAW. you get my point. for me VLV was no where near as good as AROBTTH not because it was so different but because i felt something was compromised and that was quality. anyway this is all personal opinion so.....

So you're saying that Pop sounds like the same U2 from the 80's? If you say so...

Well I've been a fan for nearly 10 years now but there still the same band to me but I don't see how VLV was more mainstream than X&Y. In fact I'd say it was less mainstream than X&Y barring the number 1 song it produced.

Oof, I would have to agree with you there... the difference for me is that VLV feels less personal-

However, that does not mean that X&Y and VLVODAAHF were not as great as the first 2 albums. In that sense, I think that X&Y has the best Coldplay song ever (Fix You)

Ok I stopped right here with replying. This is when I stopped using a serious mindset reading this thread. Just... arghhh

you've misunderstood my point. i never said bands shouldn't shift in to a different direction,

I never thought that was your point. I was just responding to your mischaracterization of the history of their music, insofar as their change certainly was dramatic.

I just remembered that it may be noteworthy to post here the example of Shakira. Although probably some of you don't know, earlier on she really had amazing albums in Spanish, with very good songs. Now she has gone nuts to please the mainstream audience and the quality of her music has gone down as fast as jumping from a cliff.

I really hope that's not the case with Coldplay.

With ETIAW they went a little into that direction, but from the new songs we heard the other day at Rock Am Ring, I think there's no doubt that the boys will be back with an amazing and worthy of recognition LP5.

I don't know anything about Shakira, but why do people always assume that when someone makes music that mainstream audience (whatever that is anyway) likes that they decided 'let's not care about the quality of the music, let's just get huge' Why is it so impossible that they actually like what they create and that that happens to appeal to a big audience.

For what I know about coldplay tells me they always just try to make the best music possible, not the most-appealing-to-the-mainstream-music-so-we-can-get-bigger. Quite frankly I think they find themselves big enough as it is. And I think they genuinely need to change for themselves every time because they play those songs so often en they want new challenges and new things and to move forward. And they work very hard on their music, they're always working on it, so it also really hurts me when people say they're being lazy, because it's just not true.

/rant over

I've been a fan since about 2004, so not quite since the beginning but early on as my liking for the band began between their second and third albums. I first heard of Coldplay on a television advertisement in 2000 (I was 15). Around this time I was obsessively into Crowded House, The Beatles, REM, Sting, Travis and Oasis. That was about it. When I saw the advertisement for Parachutes, I said to myself "I already have this" given all the music I was into and just dismissed it. I was especially dismissive when my Mother said, "you should try them out, they're meant to be quite good".

The tides turned dramatically after then as in about 2002, we were driving back from a family function and I heard "Clocks" for the very first time, I urged my parents to turn it up as the melody was so beautiful. But Mum changed the station because she thought it was Sting, an artist that she absolutely loathes. It was after then I purchased my first Coldplay album, A Rush of Blood to the Head and had the same reaction to that album as I did Oasis' (What's the Story) Morning Glory - "why didn't I own this earlier?"

When X&Y was released I was disappointed. To this day it is still the lesser of the Coldplay albums for me but i've grown to like it. After my first few listens to that album, I immediately went out to buy Parachutes and enjoyed that more. But my passion for Coldplay wasn't quite cemented. I had enough respect for them, but I was skeptical if i'd ever bother going to a concert.

Then Viva La Vida came along - my favourite Coldplay album. I was blown away by the change of direction: darker tone, more guitar, great production and best of all, fantastic conert! So, while A Rush... was an incredibly important album for me, my liking of Coldplay wasn't entirely realised until VLV.

As for the new song, i'm glad to see them pushing forward in a new direction. Many bands, Oasis and Travis come to mind, will release the challenging fourth album and come the fifth, will immediately jump back to basics. That to me is something of a letdown since the more obscure fourth album becomes forgotten and almost regretted.

For Coldplay to return to the sound of their first two records would undermine what made them so amazing in the first place. Inevitably, they would just come off as echoes or impersonation. But, Coldplay seem more and more inspired by their experiences in VLV, so I welcome the change.