✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

For old school Coldplayers only

nvdmm

Okay so I know theres already been many threads about this but here we go…

So I started listening to Coldplay prior to the release of AROBTTH. I had just got into rock music so I didn’t have any high expectation or intelligible understanding of what good music is, but I was instantly blown away. I don’t believe theres a comprehensive logic behind why people fall in love with certain music after the first listen but I guess it was their sheer brilliance.

I think we all know AROBTTH and Parachutes were by far their better albums, opinions divided on which one is the best. When VLV arrived I wasn’t sure about the direction they were taking, moving from black and white to colour as Chris explained. The album was clearly made to please the more mainstream audience. In fact VLV the song brought a huge number of new fans with it. And surely the album was a success; commercially and critically. Of course theres no denying it was a great album, but not a good Coldplay album. The thing that annoyed me the most is that before VLV they were anti hegemonic, exactly opposed to mainstream music. The cumulative effect of viva la vida played on the radio on a regular basis was destructive.

Anyway so as if VLV hadn’t already lowered my expectations with some disappointment, now we have ETIAW. Now you might think I’m a bit strange but the song is brilliant; in the same way Rihana’s what’s my name is. You know; catchy, exciting and uplifting yet very cheesy and corny. So the moment you remember this is Coldplay you think MY GOD WTF IS THIS!:dozey:

I’m disappointed to say the least. Its irritating for the old fans because once again we have no idea where they’re taking us and scared shitless that they might not only fail, but lose a considerable number of fans’ interest.

So......tell me what you think

Guest howyousawtheworld

Well I've been a fan for nearly 10 years now but there still the same band to me but I don't see how VLV was more mainstream than X&Y. In fact I'd say it was less mainstream than X&Y barring the number 1 song it produced.

I agree with you.

It's as if Coldplay where a completely different band when they brought out VLVODAAHF, it was a brilliant album but it was as if it wasn't Coldplay in terms of their Parachutes, AROBTTH and X&Y days. It's like they're singing another bands songs because they've gone in a completely different direction. They seem to care more about public opinion now...which is sad because before they really didn't seem to care. There was just that "difference" in them during the earlier years...now they're just brilliant. Not brilliantly different.

Please don't eat me, just an observation. I am one of them "anti-hate" people. Just wanted to say what I was secretly thinking too.

:)

Thank God they made a shift after X&Y. My favorite Coldplay album for a really long time was AROBTTH, but VLV surpassed it. I appreciated the life and color of the new stuff. To each his own.

Also, this kind of thinking is completely absurd: "Of course theres no denying [Viva] was a great album, but not a good Coldplay album."

I was also brainwashed and completely blown away by A Rush in 2003 (I didn't really know about it before), I was 10 back then. My mum played it constantly and I loved it. It's still by far my favourite album of all time, any band.

Two years later I was hyped by X&Y, until I was a little less into Coldplay. When VLV came, I thought it was a weird album, I didn't really like it at first. I discovered Parachutes as a full album and it immediately outranked X&Y and VLV.

In 2009 I saw them at Werchter and I was simply blown away. Coldplay became more than ever my favourite band. I discovered everything about them, B-sides, live albums and stuff.

About VLV, it took me dozens and dozens of listens to realise that it's (in my opinion) their 2nd best album. It's different, but original, no other band could make anything that comes close. It's alternative, yet it has mainstream success. It's varied, yet everything fits well together.

You can't expect them to remake the first two albums over and over again. The fact that they change, and still maintain the core of what makes them Coldplay, makes them (one of) the best bands in the world.

About ETIAW, yeah it's flat, it sucks, but I'm confident that LP5 will be great, and maybe combine the best things of VLV with the best things of the older albums (certainly if, fingers crossed, ETIAW won't be on it). You have to trust what they are doing, please.

It's different, but original, no other band could make anything that comes close. It's alternative, yet it has mainstream success.

I agree with you, good point! It was a masterpeice of an album, yet it still got tons of people who didn't even know Coldplay to get into them. How many bands have done that?

thumbs up :)

I was also brainwashed and completely blown away by A Rush in 2003 (I didn't really know about it before), I was 10 back then. My mum played it constantly and I loved it. It's still by far my favourite album of all time, any band.

Two years later I was hyped by X&Y, until I was a little less into Coldplay. When VLV came, I thought it was a weird album, I didn't really like it at first. I discovered Parachutes as a full album and it immediately outranked X&Y and VLV.

In 2009 I saw them at Werchter and I was simply blown away. Coldplay became more than ever my favourite band. I discovered everything about them, B-sides, live albums and stuff.

About VLV, it took me dozens and dozens of listens to realise that it's (in my opinion) their 2nd best album. It's different, but original, no other band could make anything that comes close. It's alternative, yet it has mainstream success. It's varied, yet everything fits well together.

You can't expect them to remake the first two albums over and over again. The fact that they change, and still maintain the core of what makes them Coldplay, makes them (one of) the best bands in the world.

About ETIAW, yeah it's flat, it sucks, but I'm confident that LP5 will be great, and maybe combine the best things of VLV with the best things of the older albums (certainly if, fingers crossed, ETIAW won't be on it). You have to trust what they are doing, please.

I agree with you.

It's as if Coldplay where a completely different band when they brought out VLVODAAHF, it was a brilliant album but it was as if it wasn't Coldplay in terms of their Parachutes, AROBTTH and X&Y days. It's like they're singing another bands songs because they've gone in a completely different direction. They seem to care more about public opinion now...which is sad because before they really didn't seem to care. There was just that "difference" in them during the earlier years...now they're just brilliant. Not brilliantly different.

Please don't eat me, just an observation. I am one of them "anti-hate" people. Just wanted to say what I was secretly thinking too.

:)

exactly my thoughts and i appreciate your honesty:)

you forgot about X&Y...

Yeah, I always try to do that too :P

I got in to Coldplay when AROBTTH came along, and I loved VLVODAAHF and it all depends on what kind of mood I'm in as to what I'll say is my favourite album. It's interesting that the comparison was made between VLV (single) and Rhianna - I've always been a big fan of pop, so maybe that's why the fourth album appeals to me?

I really like ETIAW, it's upbeat, it's a great summer festival singalong, so damn catchy, but listening to the other new songs, I think there's plenty of stuff to suit all shades of the Coldplay spectrum. Major Minus is my fave of all the new stuff - if there are people that don't like either one or the other of those two tracks, then it's time to start looking for a new band.

well thats where i have doubts you see. the core of what makes them Coldplay was evident on their first three albums, but gradually faded away. you dont have to dramatically change in order to maintain your success. U2 have done it for 35 years and they're still the best and biggest band in the world

I'm going to agree with everything you said except for the last paragraph because i really like ETIAW but as much as I've loved coldplay from the start l love them equally as much since they have evolved. :dance:

I think that a large group of fans (myself included) have Parachutes and AROBTTH up in a shrine that is not necessarily fair. I remember Parachutes with great esteem since it was the album that got me introduced to them, and one of the main reasons I think it is one of the best albums of the past decade is because all these years after the songs are still amazing. The same happens with AROBTTH.

However, that does not mean that X&Y and VLVODAAHF were not as great as the first 2 albums. In that sense, I think that X&Y has the best Coldplay song ever (Fix You) and VLV has very good songs that are not the typical mainstream songs (Cemeteries of London, 42 and Death And All His Friends).

I guess we all want the boys to make songs that sound alike to the ones of the Parachutes and AROBTTH era but I just think that we have to embrace that they have move on and apparently they still are making great music. (just listen to Charlie Brown, Major Minus, Hearts Like Heaven and specially to Us Against the World in order to concur with me in this point).

As a band they have moved beyond, and although I concur that ETIAW is probably one of the worst Coldplay songs ever (meaning that it will be heard this summer and that's it), I think that in a sense we have to be grateful that they're still making great music and on LP5 we will get to listen songs reminiscent of all the previous Coldplay ages.

Only time will tell if I am right but without a doubt Coldplay are in the verge of making history and we are very lucky fans that will get to live those moments. So don't be disappointed just because of a simple song.

EDIT: BTW, right now I am really liking ETIAW. But I think that maybe in 5-10 years I'll listen again and don't have the same feeling than with Life is for Living, We Never Change, etc, etc...

you dont have to dramatically change in order to maintain your success. U2 have done it for 35 years and they're still the best and biggest band in the world

I'm afraid I simply don't agree. U2 have changed more, more times, than virtually any othr band I can think of. Boy is only a bit like the Unforgetable Fire which is only a bit like rattle and hum which is nothing like Achtung Baby, which is different from Pop which is the opposite of ATYCLB and HTDAAB etc. U2 does not have the same sound for 35 years, and I would contend that's a large part of why they're the best.

When parachutes came out I was just starting to develop my own taste in music and making my own choices so when I heard yellow (even though don't panic was the first coldplay song I heard, just didn't know it at the time) I liked it a lot but didn't look further into it. Then a few years later I was visiting my sister and she put on A Rush and that was my first full on coldplay moment and I've been a devoted fan ever since. It took me awhile to get into VLV but even though I like it I don't think it's their best for their standards. ETIAW is good but it's only good, sure I'll sing every word of it when it's played live but I'd class it as an album filler (which would be a first for them) if it is on LP5. I've said it somewhere else on the forum but we can't judge this album just on one song, never judge a book by it's cover, LP5 will be great!

"The album was clearly made to please the more mainstream audience"

I'm so annoyed with people saying this. As if they sat down and said 'look, let's just make something mainstream so a lot of people will love us, I don't care if we hate our own music'.

They evolve, it's a good thing. If they had 4 albums without changing direction, a lot of people would feel like it's time to change something. It's better to evolve when people will miss your music, AROBTTH is partly a brilliant album because it's unique and they didn't make a second AROBTTH. This way they have 4 unique albums and they still love making and playing music.

And you might not like them changing, but don't say they changed just to get populair or have a mainstream audience.

Being a fan for 10 years, I have watched every aspect of this band mature, I am in love with each album, all for different reasons, and LP5, I will love with as much gusto as the ones that have come before it. I enjoyed the music, the look, and the live performances of all the albums. The changes I look forward to with each one.

They never, ever, have let me down musically or performance wise.:)

Being a fan for 10 years, I have watched every aspect of this band mature, I am in love with each album, all for different reasons, and LP5, I will love with as much gusto as the ones that have come before it. I enjoyed the music, the look, and the live performances of all the albums. The changes I look forward to with each one.

:heart:

I absolutely agree with you. I have loved every album they have released and although Parachutes is my favorite album, I really love them all. They have never let me down... in fact, everytime they come out with an album or song and also when I see them live, I love them even more. I love the old songs and new songs and I have listened to ETIAW probably about 200 times since it got released and I LOVE it. Yes, their sound has changed and yes, they have evolved as a band, but I don't think that is a bad thing.

I'm afraid I simply don't agree. U2 have changed more, more times, than virtually any othr band I can think of. Boy is only a bit like the Unforgetable Fire which is only a bit like rattle and hum which is nothing like Achtung Baby, which is different from Pop which is the opposite of ATYCLB and HTDAAB etc. U2 does not have the same sound for 35 years, and I would contend that's a large part of why they're the best.

Thank you. Yes, U2 have changed more times than (I think) Coldplay ever will.

As for the prize for "multiple successful and complete changes in sound and style," that would have to go to Radiohead. Listen to Pablo Honey, and then listen to Amnesiac. It's not even the same band. :stunned: Every album has its own sound.

I kinda understand where you come from. It has happened to me and not only with Coldplay, but focusing on Coldplay here, I've felt the same way with each album they have released after Parachutes and well, even though they have changed and evolved I don't think that's a bad thing. They're different from the Coldplay I knew and fell for in my teenage years, but I've liked what they've done so far, some things more than others, of course.

I still love their music, I'm not ashamed to say I like VLV or X&Y. I love each album in a different way and for different reasons- as someone stated above me. There are things I don't like, songs I don't enjoy as much, but I'll keep listening to their music as long as the thing about them that caught me that first time is still there. I think they would have been succesful even if they continued writing the same kind of songs they were known for like Yellow or IMP, but they decided to change and try new things and they have not disappointed me so far.

Granted, even though I enjoy it, I would not choose ETIAW over any of my favourite cp songs, but it seems the rest of the songs in the album are quite different and that makes me look forward to it. :)

"The album was clearly made to please the more mainstream audience"

I'm so annoyed with people saying this. As if they sat down and said 'look, let's just make something mainstream so a lot of people will love us, I don't care if we hate our own music'.

They evolve, it's a good thing. If they had 4 albums without changing direction, a lot of people would feel like it's time to change something. It's better to evolve when people will miss your music, AROBTTH is partly a brilliant album because it's unique and they didn't make a second AROBTTH. This way they have 4 unique albums and they still love making and playing music.

And you might not like them changing, but don't say they changed just to get populair or have a mainstream audience.

THIS!!!!!!!

Thank you. Yes, U2 have changed more times than (I think) Coldplay ever will.

As for the prize for "multiple successful and complete changes in sound and style," that would have to go to Radiohead. Listen to Pablo Honey, and then listen to Amnesiac. It's not even the same band. :stunned: Every album has its own sound.

In my opinion, Radiohead only had one truly major style shift (namely from guitar based music to electronic music)

Incidentally, it's probably worth noting that every major shift in U2's sound occured in collaberation with Brian Eno.