✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why is it called "Platonic" love?

hotdensestate

When you think about it, if some guy were to say, "I love that guy IN A TOTALLY PLATONIC WAY OF COURSE," what he thinks he's talking about is "WE'RE TOTALLY BROS," but when you think about who Plato actually was, he just had sex with boys ALL THE TIME, and the origin of the phrase "Platonic love" presumably comes from his schools and etc that he set up where he loved all these dudes and taught them how to be philosophers, but he totally had sex with ALL OF THEM. I mean, Platonic dialouge? More like Platonic have-sex-with-a-lot-of-boys.

So I mean, it's just one of life's small ironies. Funny how that works out.

(I was just thinking)

Well, the way I see it, the term "platonic" is primarily used to describe a good friendship between a girl and a boy. Not that this means anything, but I can't think of anything else to say on the topic.

i remember at some point in philosophy class we discussed that -not said the Plato slept with all his boys part- :confused:

if i remember well conclusion was:

is refered when one wants something but doesn't make the step to get it cause is happier with the previous status thought it may involve change in oneself. :thinking:

so to answer the 'why' i think the term refers more to Plato's thoughts/philosophy than his private life matters.

I think it's because that kind of love will only stay as an idea and not as something physical, acording to Plato the physical and material kind of love would only be a bad copy of the ideal kind of love which is perfect.

Hope that made sense

I think it's because that kind of love will only stay as an idea and not as something physical, acording to Plato the physical and material kind of love would only be a bad copy of the ideal kind of love which is perfect.

Hope that made sense

What, like the Platonic ideal of love? Allegory of the cave and all that? Hmm.