🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

Radiohead

Oh, but OKC has COWBELL.

I agree though. OverratedKC. A couple of good songs, but otherwise meh.

I'm not gonna say OKC isn't overhyped, because that isn't true. I just personally don't get why everyone thinks "Kid A" is full of awesome. I've tried. It does get better with each listen, but it still just doesn't get me like some of their other works. Despite the really cool stuff at the end of "The National Anthem," I rarely even get that far because the bass line drives me bonkers.

I think you are all crazy about talking how OK Computer and Kid A aren't so great or overrated.

Yes the albums are always talked about, but I think it's because they are their best written albums and most creative period in the band. IR is my favorite from them, but I think in terms of songwriting, arrangement, flow and importance both of those albums are just too much. I can understand why people may not like the albums. But you cannot deny how great the arrangement of the songs are.

I'm not gonna say OKC isn't overhyped, because that isn't true. I just personally don't get why everyone thinks "Kid A" is full of awesome. I've tried. It does get better with each listen, but it still just doesn't get me like some of their other works. Despite the really cool stuff at the end of "The National Anthem," I rarely even get that far because the bass line drives me bonkers.

You don't seem to be a fan of electronic. I mean seriously Kid A can be like a wtf on the first listen (wasn't for me tbh but I can see that happening) but seriously OKC is so bad in so many ways. It makes me feel like I'm listening to some shit 90's band.

Massive quote time!!

basically, yeah

edit: For example, as I mentioned above, I consider The Butcher and The Daily Mail part of the TKOL era, even though one is a b-side and the other isn't even released (performance only)

edit 2: This is how I look at it, in no particular order...

Favorites from Kid A era = Everything in its Right Place, The National Anthem, Idioteque

Favorites from HTTT era = There There, 2+2=5, Where I End and You Begin, The Gloaming, Myxomatosis, Paperbag Writer (also rating pretty well on my list... A Punch Up at a Wedding, Go To Sleep, I am a Wicked Child, Gagging Order)

Yes some HTTT tracks are excellent but picked as individual songs, I think Hail to the Thief is their second worst album because there's no cohesion between the songs, the songs shine for themselves, the songs are dark and are an excellent mix of everything radiohead's done before, but the transition between each of the songs it's so unnatural and forced that makes me think they just gathered some random songs and put it there. Even Pablo has better cohesion, but it's just that some songs on HTTT are so awesome that Pablo has nothing to do here.

You don't seem to be a fan of electronic. I mean seriously Kid A can be like a wtf on the first listen (wasn't for me tbh but I can see that happening) but seriously OKC is so bad in so many ways. It makes me feel like I'm listening to some shit 90's band.

What are you talking about? Despite it's just a rock song, with typical rock instruments and up to certain point structure, it is not typical rock music. It's not usual to hear solos like the ones in Paranoid Android and all the changes of tempo. The layers, the theme, the atmospheres, everything fits perfectly, with the exception of electioneering, which is a good head-banging song but doesn't fit on the albium and I can't defend it honestly and objectively. But other than that some of the songs there are some of the most brilliant they've done, i.e. Let Down, Paranoid Android, Climbing up the Walls and Exit Music. This is meaningful and deep music that labelizing as a shit 90's music (cough cough Oasis Blur cough cough) is just illogical. If it weren't for Electioneering (Fitter Happier is awful as a song, but it fits on the album, electioneering is a good rock song, but it doesn't fit on the album) OKC would be perfect.

LOL for a second I thought you meant boner and I was like wtf.

Okay, you're not saying it but you can't deny the band's creativity and reinvention during that period, while the album's experimentalism wasn't something never heard before or begun a musical revolution but it was a breaktrough for them and the alternative/indie scene. Besides the album as a whole it's perfect, even the more common tunes like Optimistic, the album flows flawlessly. It has great cohesion and it's just mind-blowing. It takes some listens to fully appreciate it: I like itafter the first listen l(something that never happened to me before with radiohead) but also thought it was overrated and below the brilliance of OKC and IR, after some other listens I realized its apocalyptical and unconventional beauty, it's one of the most groundbreaking albums of the last 20 years. It's just like a different take on machines and modernism grabbing it to adapt it (and embrace it) to the band's humanity and thoughtfulness.

Oh, but OKC has COWBELL.

I agree though. OverratedKC. A couple of good songs, but otherwise meh.

I don't think they're meh, really most of them are mesmerizing, even Fitter Happier, maybe a little conventional (because it's rock) but not indifferent. It has traditional rock instruments and the verse chorus verse chorus bridge structure, but the arrangements the effects the moods of the song are very different from conventional rock, I can name a few bands with this characteristic such as Pink Floyd.

I think you are all crazy about talking how OK Computer and Kid A aren't so great or overrated.

Yes the albums are always talked about, but I think it's because they are their best written albums and most creative period in the band. IR is my favorite from them, but I think in terms of songwriting, arrangement, flow and importance both of those albums are just too much. I can understand why people may not like the albums. But you cannot deny how great the arrangement of the songs are.

Well put Mike there's nothing else to say.

As for myself this is how I put the albums:

Kid A/ OKC

In Rainbows

Amnesiac

The Bends / The king of Limbs

Hail to the Thief

The one we don't like talking about

PS: you better read it!!

please :bigcry:

Hail to the Thief... there's no cohesion between the songs, the songs shine for themselves, the songs are dark and are an excellent mix of everything radiohead's done before, but the transition between each of the songs it's so unnatural and forced

I agree with you there. I do find the lack of cohesion on HTTT annoying; although cohesiveness isn't really playing into my personal era rankings.

It has nothing to do with it being electronic. It's more that I'm not a fan of things that, to me, sound overly repetitive, which "Kid A" is in many respects. That's what I was meaning by that bass line comment eariler; I really don't want to hear the same 4-bar line for 5 minutes straight. It's minimalistic in nature, particularly pertaining to lyrics (There are 19 different words total in "The National Anthem," if I recall correctly). While there are certain parts of minimalism I can learn to appreciate over time, it's something I've never been very keen on.

With that being said, there are things I do like about "Kid A." "Everything In Its Right Place" makes me feel very content when listening to it, "Idioteque" makes me wanna dance, and "Motion Picture Soundtrack" is gorgeous. :heart:

Yes some HTTT tracks are excellent but picked as individual songs, I think Hail to the Thief is their second worst album because there's no cohesion between the songs, the songs shine for themselves, the songs are dark and are an excellent mix of everything radiohead's done before, but the transition between each of the songs it's so unnatural and forced that makes me think they just gathered some random songs and put it there. Even Pablo has better cohesion, but it's just that some songs on HTTT are so awesome that Pablo has nothing to do here.

LOL for a second I thought you meant boner and I was like wtf.

Okay, you're not saying it but you can't deny the band's creativity and reinvention during that period, while the album's experimentalism wasn't something never heard before or begun a musical revolution but it was a breaktrough for them and the alternative/indie scene. Besides the album as a whole it's perfect, even the more common tunes like Optimistic, the album flows flawlessly. It has great cohesion and it's just mind-blowing. It takes some listens to fully appreciate it: I like itafter the first listen l(something that never happened to me before with radiohead) but also thought it was overrated and below the brilliance of OKC and IR, after some other listens I realized its apocalyptical and unconventional beauty, it's one of the most groundbreaking albums of the last 20 years. It's just like a different take on machines and modernism grabbing it to adapt it (and embrace it) to the band's humanity and thoughtfulness.

To be honest, I don't really think of albums that way, and I never have. I tend to judge them based on individual songs as opposed to how it works as a whole. I guess I've never really understood the point of doing that unless it was explicitly stated that it was a concept album of some sort. :shrug:

Anyway. Second paragraph. Different people have different opinions. I was actually quite disgusted with it at first listen, and I only decided to give it another shot after several of you guys insisted on it. While I'll gladly admit my first impression was more harsh than it should have been, it just doesn't reach me like the other albums do. I guess, in my own way of viewing it, I feel disconnected. I can't really explain what I mean by that in words. As far as their originality is concerned, I'll only agree in the sense that concepts they used were foreign to popular music before they did it. Contemporary classical composers have written stuff using similar methods for years, in the time before any of Radiohead's members were even born.

I really didn't mean for my comment to turn out into a debate, and I'm sincerely not trying to be mean when I say the things I say. I'm just trying to explain my thoughts in the best way I know how.

It has nothing to do with it being electronic. It's more that I'm not a fan of things that, to me, sound overly repetitive, which "Kid A" is in many respects. That's what I was meaning by that bass line comment eariler; I really don't want to hear the same 4-bar line for 5 minutes straight. It's minimalistic in nature, particularly pertaining to lyrics (There are 19 different words total in "The National Anthem," if I recall correctly). While there are certain parts of minimalism I can learn to appreciate over time, it's something I've never been very keen on.

With that being said, there are things I do like about "Kid A." "Everything In Its Right Place" makes me feel very content when listening to it, "Idioteque" makes me wanna dance, and "Motion Picture Soundtrack" is gorgeous. :heart:

Well if I'm completely honest with you, I absolutely hate the album version of TNA, but perhaps you might like it better if you watch a good live performance of it?

Also, the electronic fan thing was because I even remembered that, pretty sure it was you, you disliked Moth by Burial + Four tet? I mean to me you seem to listen to less electronica tbh, that's why I made the comment.

I hate it cos it's painfully slower than a live performance of it that I love, I don't like the work on Thom's vocals and the trumpets make me want to kill myself.

I actually love The National Anthem because of it's repetitive bass line... it may from an initial standpoint be annoying, but after a while it's really addicting to listen to.

Personally when it comes to songs or artists of course it's the songs that matter most initially. But I find that the flow of an album is really important. Like you can have a bunch of different songs together that are really different, but if it doesn't flow well as a whole I find I can't enjoy an album as much. When I listen to an album as cheesy as it sounds for me it's kind of a journey going from start to finish. So if it's disjointed I'm thrown off and can't get into it. It's the combination of slow or fast or mellow or upbeat or emotional or fun songs put together that can make an album special. So to get back to the topic Kid A is perfect because if you listen to the album as a whole it feels like a full package and there's no songs that feel out of place.

Insert what a former member would likely say in response here

:rolleyes:

:dozey:

:lol:

I still disagree. I think the album does have weak songs. Like I'm not a huge fan of Optimistic or In Limbo especially compared to their other work. But in terms of the sound and the mood that the songs portray to me it's a flawless album.

Well if I'm completely honest with you, I absolutely hate the album version of TNA, but perhaps you might like it better if you watch a good live performance of it?

Also, the electronic fan thing was because I even remembered that, pretty sure it was you, you disliked Moth by Burial + Four tet? I mean to me you seem to listen to less electronica tbh, that's why I made the comment.

I hate it cos it's painfully slower than a live performance of it that I love, I don't like the work on Thom's vocals and the trumpets make me want to kill myself.

Maybe. I'll try that. Don't kill me if I don't like it, though. I'm insanely picky when it comes to live music.

Yes, I did say that. Later in that thread, however, I also mentioned that I really liked (which would later turn into love) "Love Cry" by Four Tet. That still kinda confuses me, given that it's also repetitive, but for some reason, it's highly catchy, and I'm very fond of it. I kinda have to go on a case-by-case basis, y'know. GBut yeah, I don't listen to electronic as much as other things. Maybe it's because electronic music tends to be repetitive? Actually, yeah, probably. In my case, I guess it has to be done a certain way, or I won't like it. I'm weird like that. :shrug:

Oh, really? Huh. I actually like Thom's vocals on that, but it's whatever.

Yeah, I was thinking this. I didn't used to like loop based songs, but after listening to a lot of electronic music, and making some myself, I began to appreciate it.

Moth - Burial + Four Tet is one loop for 9 minutes, and in my opinion it's one of the best songs ever made.