✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Tips for combatting nerves?

Technicolor Sparks

So I have a piano recital tonight, and I have been panicking for the last 3 days because I get soooo unbelieveably nervous. My heart pounds, I shake uncontrollably, I have to pee every 10 minutes, my stomach gets upset, I feel sick, I feel like I'm going to pass out...basically every type of nerves, I get.

Any tips for relaxing/not panicking?

Keep your eyes down at the keys, forget theres other people, and imagine you're just practicing. I did piano as my 2nd instrument for exams, guitar as first, but I'm not as confident on piano so I was pretty nervous, our teacher was nice enough to make us play infront of other classes to get used to exam pressure, but that did really help and with piano I found it easier to zone out and just focus on the instrument and not whats around me.

Thank you guys :nice:

I'm still super nervous...my quartet is opening the recital and I'm not as nervous because there are 3 other people to cover up if you make a mistake. But I'm really worried about my duet, because if I mess up it will sound awful! And I don't know when we perform, so if it's near the end of the night I'll be panicking during about 30 other performances. :wreck:

Chucks an amaretto man :surprised: Never fails to surprise.

I hate waiting when I'm nervous like that, and it seems to happen to me all the time, anytime I'm in some sort of area of competition or performance infront of people I'm always in the last possible slot so instead of just getting up and getting it over with I have to wait for ages and tension just builds. I'd recommend to enjoy the other performances, it'll keep your mind off of yours, it's not like you can practice any further so just think that the audience out there has come to see all these performances for a reason and remember to enjoy watching them.

I didn't know you played, Reilly. :cheesy:

Anyway, when I get nervous, I get all sorts of jittery. It may help if you find some sort of way to calm your nerves. For me, it's stretching. It helps me get all that pent-up energy out of my body and keeps me loose. Tension is the enemy of any musician. Doing breathing exercises might help, too.

Piano or guitar? If you mean piano I didn't take it to a great level, I think the highest grade I played was 5 but to be honest there were a lot of other Grade 5 pieces that I had no chance of doing. I picked up some basic stuff very quickly according to other players but when it got onto the technically challenging, hours on-end of practice I found it hard to continue.

This all said if I were to sit down infront of a piano right now I probably couldn't string anything together.

Thank you guys :nice:

I'm still super nervous...my quartet is opening the recital and I'm not as nervous because there are 3 other people to cover up if you make a mistake. But I'm really worried about my duet, because if I mess up it will sound awful! And I don't know when we perform, so if it's near the end of the night I'll be panicking during about 30 other performances. :wreck:

Oh, hey, you're on first! Cool! :cool: Amaretto then, make that a double (one for Reilly too).;) Anything to relieve tension, meditation is one good way, or listening to something soothing and relaxing beforehand. Remember to have fun, just let it flow.

Piano or guitar? If you mean piano I didn't take it to a great level, I think the highest grade I played was 5 but to be honest there were a lot of other Grade 5 pieces that I had no chance of doing. I picked up some basic stuff very quickly according to other players but when it got onto the technically challenging, hours on-end of practice I found it hard to continue.

This all said if I were to sit down infront of a piano right now I probably couldn't string anything together.

Actually, I didn't know about either. Heh.

Yeah, a lot of the really technical stuff can be difficult. I had a bad habit of not using the fingerings the music told me to use, which gave me problems. :tongue:

I don't know if this will help you, but I'll try. I like to meditate to calm down. I have been in similar situations (Soloist leading 85 other people~btw, I was totally spazzing :P) I guess I just swallowed my nerves as best I could. Meditating has always helped me. :) Good luck! :nice;

I don't know if this will help you, but I'll try. I like to meditate to calm down. I have been in similar situations (Soloist leading 85 other people~btw, I was totally spazzing :P)

Niiiiice.

Actually, I didn't know about either. Heh.

Yeah, a lot of the really technical stuff can be difficult. I had a bad habit of not using the fingerings the music told me to use, which gave me problems. :tongue:

Haha yes that would be a big problem, it's hard to adjust to the "right way". If it's like guitar I'm sure that the right fingering is very important to learning new stuff- for example those who learn guitar using "power chords" end up being the worst guitarists.

The last song I attempted learning (After exams were over and this was a hobby) was "The Entertainer", got through about 30 seconds of it before realising I was way too busy at the time to try and learn further. I wasn't used to my left hand doing as much work as the right hand.

I play in a symphonic band with ~40 other people and I still have the same problem you do. :|

I just kind of say "Well, I've practiced all I can, there's not much I can do now." and for some reason that stops me from worrying. :P

And besides, you won't have to worry about messing up :wacko:

My nerves are so bad that I almost don't want 1st chair again in case I get a solo. And if I do get 1st, I have to tune the band. :wreck:

I play in a symphonic band with ~40 other people and I still have the same problem you do. :|

I just kind of say "Well, I've practiced all I can, there's not much I can do now." and for some reason that stops me from worrying. :P

And besides, you won't have to worry about messing up :wacko:

My nerves are so bad that I almost don't want 1st chair again in case I get a solo. And if I do get 1st, I have to tune the band. :wreck:

Yeah. As much fun as being first chair is, I don't ever want to go back. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone. :nice:

It actually went pretty well. I was incredibly nervous all day, but somehow it wasn't as bad as usual once I got there and was sitting in my seat. I made a few little mistakes but everyone else had slip-ups too, so it wasn't so bad. :) But I am definitely glad that it's over!!

Rums disgusting.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :nice:

It actually went pretty well. I was incredibly nervous all day, but somehow it wasn't as bad as usual once I got there and was sitting in my seat. I made a few little mistakes but everyone else had slip-ups too, so it wasn't so bad. :) But I am definitely glad that it's over!!

Considering how nervous you seem about it, well done.