✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Billboard article: Coldplay Reveals 'Mylo Xyloto' Album Art, Release Date (plus UK/Europe tour info)

busybeeburns

1176169-album-cover-coldplay-617-409.jpg

Coldplay Reveals 'Mylo Xyloto' Album Art, Release Date

Coldplay announced today that the band's fifth studio album, "Mylo Xyloto" (pronounced my-lo zy-letoe), will be released in the U.S. on Oct. 25 by Capitol Records.

Produced by Markus Dravs, Daniel Green and Rik Simpson, with "enoxification" and additional composition by Brian Eno, "Mylo Xyloto" is Coldplay's first release since 2008's "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends," which debuted at No. 1 in Billboard and has sold 2.8 million units in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Last week in Los Angeles, Billboard heard eight songs recorded for the project, some of which are already familiar to fans from international festival appearances including Glastonbury in the U.K. and Lollapalooza in Chicago. Among those are the relentlessly effervescent first track, "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall" ; the shimmering, syncopated "Charlie Brown" ; and "Major Minus," an ominous, thundering beast of a song with rattling guitars, potent (and rare) Buckland solos, and restless, shifting musical patterns. Those three songs, along with others like the bold anthem "Paradise" (the first "proper" single from the record, due Sept. 12); the broad, bass-heavy "Up in Flames" ; and the textured romance of "Us Against the World" seem destined to appear on the final version of "Mylo Xyloto." Others, including the loungey build-up that is "Moving to Mars," could potentially not make the record, according to Billboard interviews with Coldplay guitarist Jonny Buckland and front man Chris Martin.

The band's announcement today reveals Mylo Xyloto will be released in digital, CD and vinyl formats. The 180-gram vinyl edition will include a 12" x 36" poster. A special limited edition Pop-Up Album version will also be available, which will include a 12" x 12" hardback book containing graffiti pop-up art designed by David A. Carter, vinyl, CD and exclusive content including photographs, excerpts from the studio diary and the band's personal notebooks. The "reversible" cover art was just revealed at COLDPLAY.COM. Half of the CDs will be packaged with the full color artwork as the cover while the other 50% will have the CD booklet flipped, showing the silver initials "M X" via a die-cut sheet placed over the color image.

Coldplay manager Dave Holmes tells Billboard that a brief run of arenas in the U.K. and Europe is planned for December of this year, but the band will begin to tour globally in earnest in support of the record beginning next spring. Coldplay's tour in support of Viva la Vida grossed more than $126 million and moved more than 1.7 million tickets to 94 shows, according to Billboard Boxscore.

As they embark on a new cycle, the band's spirits are high. "We've been together long enough that I know how everyone else is feeling, and it makes me excited when I feel the others are excited," Martin tells Billboard. "Maybe I speak too soon, but they don't seem unexcited. They seem pretty fired up. I think we have a lot to prove to ourselves. There's no point in not going for it."

Speaking about the musical direction of the record, Buckland says, "I suppose the theme would be letting loose musically; louder drums, louder guitars, more contrast. Then we wanted to go down to the most intimate moments, then back to the biggest we've ever been. We wanted to contain as many interesting ideas as we could fit into 42-and-a-half minutes."

http://www.billboard.com/news/coldplay-reveals-mylo-xyloto-album-art-release-1005314752.story#

the relentlessly effervescent first track, "Every Teardrop Is a Waterfall"

Does this mean ETIAW is the album opener then? Or maybe the writer was referring to the first track that he heard. Either way awesome news day and thanks for the cool article. I enjoyed reading the bits describing Up In Flames and Paradise. :D

(in no order)

So if there are say 10-11 tracks:

1. MX/Hurts Like Heaven

2. Major Minus

3. Charlie Brown

4. Us Against The World

5. Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

6. Paradise

7. Up in Flames

I guess we only have the last 4 to guess!

Does this mean ETIAW is the album opener then? Or maybe the writer was referring to the first track that he heard. Either way awesome news day and thanks for the cool article. I enjoyed reading the bits describing Up In Flames and Paradise. :D

Interesting you say that, so ETIAW is not the first track,

Thanks mate