✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Things I really, really wish Coldplay would do

Lihyahm

Well... here's what I think:

Their previous music had more than just instruments. Clocks was more than a song with piano, guitar, drums, and bass. It had an atmosphere -- this sort of gas floating around it that made me see life differently. All of their songs before Viva were emotionally applicable to anybody's life, whether you were going through your mid-life crisis or going through tough times in school. I still get this feeling when I listen to Clocks, The Scientist, Trouble, Shiver, Everything's Not Lost, See You Soon, Amsterdam, Politik, and Fix You. The songs have this weird mix of dread and hope. This comforting and understanding feeling I get from a parent.

Viva was a great album because it was creative and it was new but now, everything just seems like ear candy. Don't get me wrong, I love Viva and I'll undoubtedly love this new album but it's never going to be the same Coldplay. I'm never going to listen to Lost! or Cemeteries of London and feel what I felt with the rest of the music.

What I wish: I wish Coldplay took this new creative route and tried to reach some of their roots. I wish Chris Martin looked for music in the soul and not the brain. I wish they constrained themselves to four instruments again. I KNOW they're very talented, I KNOW they want to be creative... but with MX they're approaching it the wrong way. It seems they forgot where they came from and how they got where they are now.

Now I'm still excited for MX. Princess of China is amazing and I'm excited to hear Rihanna. Hurts Like Heaven is gloriously upbeat. Charlie Brown is atmospheric. Paradise is pure, sweet, and savory ear candy. Us Against The World is well-structured and image-evoking. I love the songs that have come from it, but they're not the same. They're not the Coldplay I grew up with, which is GREAT! They're changing! Yay! But they don't write music like they used to... It's not the sound I'm concerned about, it's the emotional connection.

Sorry if I'm too sappy and sorry if I wrote too much. I don't want to change the mood of the thread. I just agree that they need to change. That doesn't mean change their sound, it means change their song-writing. I don't want Chris Martin to be a candy-factory of melodies, I want him to make something worth remembering.

Yup. Impeccable post. I got you completely.

Also, ApproximatelyInfinite's reply is made up of pure truth. I have nothing to add.

Let's start a petition to make them play more obscure songs live :wink3: