April 8, 201214 yr Hi there! as a young (16) British person I would really like to know why you Americans out there really love us?!! Any american people I meet (there are many in my town because there is an american air base near by) seem to be so interested in us, our culture and whatever :L it makes no sense to me!! WE ARE SO BORING infact the only good thing to come out of here, apart from me ;) is COLDPLAY! so I just want know why do you like us so much?! :laugh3:
April 8, 201214 yr I'm not American, (:P) But UK is cool..Awesome accent.. Many cool British bands..Dr who.. :wacko:
April 8, 201214 yr infact the only good thing to come out of here, apart from me ;) is COLDPLAY! :inquisitive: You probably take you own culture and values for granted because they are your own culture and values; they are familiar to you. People may be interested in it because it's new to them.
April 8, 201214 yr I'm brazilian and yeah, I love UK, you have the best bands, the best football league, and the cities look pretty awesome from TV. Oh God, how I whish I had money the visit it one day.
April 8, 201214 yr Off the top of my head, here are some reasons why I, as an American, love England: --The British sense of humor is fantastic --The history is fascinating --The accent! --They seem very environmentally conscious (I guess they have to be due to having a smaller land space than the U.S. and due to the resources not being as abundant. I was amazed that toilets that two buttons, one that uses less water for pee only and one that used a little more water for more involved business. haha) --Brits seems sensible and intellectual --The best thing: Coldplay! (All of these are, of course, generalizing....but it's just what I think) Things that I would have to get used to if I lived there: --The smaller spaces --The weather
April 8, 201214 yr The only thing I realy thinks doesn't seem nice would be the food, I love our food around here
April 8, 201214 yr The only thing I realy thinks doesn't seem nice would be the food, I love our food around here Oh yeah, the food may take a little getting used to over the U.S., but it's still a massively cool place!
April 8, 201214 yr Author Thanks for all the replies :) I see what you mean! I wish I lived in the USA so much :P and what's wrong with fish and chips ;) ha ha
April 8, 201214 yr Off the top of my head, here are some reasons why I, as an American, love England: --The British sense of humor is fantastic --The history is fascinating --The accent! --They seem very environmentally conscious (I guess they have to be due to having a smaller land space than the U.S. and due to the resources not being as abundant. I was amazed that toilets that two buttons, one that uses less water for pee only and one that used a little more water for more involved business. haha) --Brits seems sensible and intellectual --The best thing: Coldplay! (All of these are, of course, generalizing....but it's just what I think) Things that I would have to get used to if I lived there: --The smaller spaces --The weather spot on - these are my reasons too :dance: as for the food, I'll be eating indian take out weekly :P the accent :dazzled:
April 8, 201214 yr The accent most importantly... then there is the awesome history ... accent.... beautiful ancient cities! accent....:P most importantly COLDPLAY!!! .. ... .... ACCENT!!!!!!
April 8, 201214 yr For me, it's because the U.S forces you to think it's the best and it's not. We're tought by our culture that America is the only "free" country, which just isn't the case. Our culture, for the most part, is money driven. You guys not only have great bands, but a great history with roots in many other cultures. It seems to me that in the U.S cultural traditions are swallowed up by one mass culture. British culture is very imaginative and creative when compared to our cookie cutter culture. In my opinion at least. I'm sure people in the U.K may feel that way about the U.S. Might be one of those "Midnight In Paris" situations?
April 8, 201214 yr Author You're so wrong, we live in a great place I know we are but I was just wondering why the USA seems to really like us and respect us :P :)
April 8, 201214 yr Also scones. I quite enjoy scones. But in all seriousness, I think people are more interested in cultures that they havent lived in for their whole lives.
April 8, 201214 yr Everyone seems to hate their own country and is convinced that things are better elsewhere. Most of the time this isn't really true, but it's a common mindset I see everywhere. National pride seems to be kinda dead throughout the world, actually. :\ A little sad, although it gets people exploring other cultures, I guess. Me? I like the U.S. plenty. There isn't a single country that doesn't have a crapload of flaws.
April 8, 201214 yr Author Also scones. I quite enjoy scones. But in all seriousness, I think people are more interested in cultures that they havent lived in for their whole lives. :') scones if only we really ate them :rolleyes: ha ha :)
April 8, 201214 yr There isn't a single country that doesn't have a crapload of flaws. Some just have more than others...like mine. Don't get me wrong, I love Brasil, but sometimes I get tired of the mess this is.
April 8, 201214 yr And some countries have great cultural periods while others get stagnant. That could be another reason someone might like another country.
April 8, 201214 yr Everyone seems to hate their own country and is convinced that things are better elsewhere. Most of the time this isn't really true, but it's a common mindset I see everywhere. National pride seems to be kinda dead throughout the world, actually. :\ A little sad, although it gets people exploring other cultures, I guess. Me? I like the U.S. plenty. There isn't a single country that doesn't have a crapload of flaws. You said it. It's definitely an example of the "grass is always greener on the other side" phenomenon. Also, as a person who primarily lives in the US, but who also has family in London she visits every year, I have to say that I love both countries a lot! Great places to live in my opinion.
April 8, 201214 yr Me and my boyfriend where considering moving to America when we have the money but I'm not sure I could do it. America seems a scary place to me! Probably because it's such a massive country and everyone's seems more brash and bold and I dunno :tongue:
Create an account or sign in to comment