🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

The 12th Mixtape Exchange

djibou

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Cheese Nip 2!

I was your mixtape maker. Thank you so much for the review! I'll add comments in your review in green :D

First off the cover art is awesome (and personalized with my name on it!!). Very nice touch.  It's called "NUM83R5" and the cover features some sort of one eyed entity behind one of those things where if you color in the right numbers you get a picture.  It's super creative and gets me very excited for the tape itself.

I don't know if you noticed, but if you'd color the pieces with the numbers, the drawing would be one of the number two. It all has to do with the theme of the mixtape. The tracklist will make that clear :P

1. So the album starts out with piano chords. The drumming and melody are reminiscent of X&Y era Coldplay actually.  It's a Female singer.  Kind of hard to make out the lyrics, but I love the melody.  Kinda haunting.  I have no clue who this is but I really like it.  Sounds like she's saying "You are the son of God" or something over some rhythmic "la la las" during the chorus.  

I perceive the melody as hunting too, but in a good way. It is a brilliant kind of shoegazing song of the band while they normally don't go that much shoegaze. She sings 'he was the son of God, he was a son of a gun, he was the son of God'

2. Starts out with drums and guitar, followed by an accordion. Kind of Distorted vocals. A familiar "sound", but I don't know the song. Nice violins in the back in a couple of parts.  There's also a female background singer.

3. Oh this sounds so familiar! I know who this artist is but I can't put my finger on it.  Lead singer's a guy, but has a somewhat high pitch voice.  Sparse arrangement with heavy drums.  Gets a little heavier as guitars come in, then spaces out again through the coarse of the song.  "Don't you just love goodbyes" is a repeated lyric.  Some robotic vocal effects towards the end too.  Sounds like they're saying 1, 5, 6 (which works well with the tape's title).

Hehehe, I could not leave this band out since it's my favorite band and the title of the song made it a perfect song for the tape. It's the Danish band Mew.

4. Effects laden drum solo spans a whole track.  No vocals, so I'm completely clueless on who this is.  Synths come in briefly towards the end but soon cuts to next song.

Fucked up song, like all their songs, but man I love it so much. I guess this serves kind of as an interlude :S

5.  Vocal style sounds a little like Franz Ferdinand but I don't think it is.  There's a drudging drum beat and an echoey guitar.  The song so far doesn't have a clear chorus, but the lines "This town is burning down" are repeated.  Pretty cool song, a little sinister.  There's some good guitar work towards the end as well.

Yep, it's indeed not Franz Ferdinand:P

This band tells stories with their songs. Stories about the sinister past of England's green and pleasant land. This one is about the great fire in London and how they were trying to pin it on whatever scapegoat they had at that moment. I love how they manage to create the right atmosphere in their song.

6.  Aetherical beginning.  Male singer again.  "Tired vocals" over piano chords soon backed by drum beat.  I believe the vocals are overdubbed as well.  Lyrics loop for a while and then fades back into effects until drums re-enter with distorted vocals and loud electronic/synth  loop in the back.  The bass seems to be electronic as well.  It's got a very nice soundscape backing.

Vocals are done by some dudes of which one is the leadsinger from song #3 and another guy is ... Guy Berryman. I think you hear Magne from a-ha best, but Apparatjiks correct me if I am wrong.

7. Starts with what sounds like a mandolin or something along those lines.  Drum line is upbeat and danceable.  This group also sounds a bit familiar.  The mandolin riff continues throughout.  Song gets more mellow as it progresses.

It's another Danish band, I have a weakness for Danish bands I think

8.  I don't know instrument this is in the intro.  Kind of reminds me of David Essex's "Rock On" for some reason.  Anyways, it's a nice backing track.  Many overdubbed drum parts, which gives a bit of an african feel to it.  Female singer this time.  This would be great in headphones.  Her vocals are fine, though I'm not a big fan of her singing style, but the instrumentation is what makes this song so great.

Her singing style is typical yeah. This is from her solo work, but she is better known as the female part of the band The Knife. She also coörporated with the band Röyksopp.

9. The heaviest song yet.  Fast distorted guitar and drums.  Vocals are screamy and often seem to lack melody . I don't usually listen to this type of thing.  Pretty good lyrics though and I could see this being played in the radio.  I like the outro, which is a little more the style of the other songs.

I don't usually listen to this type of thing either, I am not a fan of spoken word- vocals, but this band got me anyway. I don't know, their lyrics seem so awfully honest. He screams but still gets other emotions in it than just anger.

10. Another soundscape beginning with various beeps over synthetic strings.  Industrial drums fade in.  Seems to be another instrumental.  Reminds me if something from a sci fi.  I like it a lot.

I didn't really know if I should put too much electronical music in it because you seem to like mostly rock/pop bands that come up with real guitars and bass instead of this stuff, but I am glad you liked it anyhow! Hopefully it makes the tape not too onesided. It's yet another Danish band.

11.  Guitar chords with heavy reverb.  Violin comes in.  Has an eastern sound.  Drums start and continue to get heavier until a guitar solo starts.  No vocals by 2 minute mark.  When they come it's a male singer.  Stylistically, it sounds like an American band.

It is an English band though. I wouldn't have guessed either. This is from their early years, when they made imo the best music.

12.  I like the bass at the beginning of this one.  Singer can sound like Bono at times, but musically it sounds more like Civil Twilight.  Is this guy speaking a different language?  Well now I have no clue who this is.  I think it's in Italian or Portuguese, but I really have no clue.  I like it though.  I assume it's a foreign band, but the song could just be in a different language.

The band is from Sweden and the guy sings in Swedish. They have released many songs in English as well, but somehow their native lyrics do better than the English. Maybe because this band has a big steady fanbase in Scandinavia.

13. Heavy Scottish/Irish accent.  So far it's only guitar and vocals (and maybe some keyboard chords in the back).  Regardless of the accent the lyrics are very easy to understand.  Now there are drums too.  This band doesn't sound like very much I've listened to before.  Pretty long song clocking in at around 9 minutes, but for that reason it makes a good ending to an excellent mix tape.  :)

They are from Scotland. The song is so sad. I guess that with the time the song takes it can make the great build-up it has. Each added layer of instrument seems to make the song even sadder despite that in the beginning the simplicity of the song seems to evoke the sadness. After this song I don't feel like listening to another song, hahaha, I guess that then it might make a good closer for a CD, concert or mixtape.

My favorite track is track 1, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.  I'm sorry it took me so long to get my review in!

No prob! I am glad you enjoyed it. If others want to listen to it, I'll post the link to the Zipped file.

Tracklist:

1. Blonde Redhead - 23 (album: 23)

2. Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #2

3. Mew - 156

4. HEALTH - 0003

5. I LIKE TRAINS - 25 Sins

6. Apparatjik - 4 Could Keep A Secret If 3 Of Them Were Dead

7. The Kissaway Trail - 61

8. Fever Ray - Seven

9. mewithoutYou - January 1979

10. Spleen United - My Tribe, Part 2

11. Anathema - Fragile Dreams (album: Alternative 4)

12. Kent - 400 Slag

13. The Twilight Sad - 3 Seconds Of Dead Air

Tracklist:

1. Blonde Redhead - 23 (album: 23)

2. Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #2

3. Mew - 156

4. HEALTH - 0003

5. I LIKE TRAINS - 25 Sins

6. Apparatjik - 4 Could Keep A Secret If 3 Of Them Were Dead

7. The Kissaway Trail - 61

8. Fever Ray - Seven

9. mewithoutYou - January 1979

10. Spleen United - My Tribe, Part 2

11. Anathema - Fragile Dreams (album: Alternative 4)

12. Kent - 400 Slag

13. The Twilight Sad - 3 Seconds Of Dead Air

Wow! Brilliant idea for a mixtape! Makes it even more impressive!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so this is my review for the new mixtape that was send. Yes, the soundtrack of the Vienna trip is seems :D as I am in Vienna.

1. The start sounds like a heartbeat. Sinister. Then electronica comes in, but with an ambient/lounge feel to it. Distorted sounds like a Radiohead song, a funky bass, then drumming comes in louder and louder to make it all a bit more consistent. To give it a more consistent sound. The rest of the glitches/sounds now start to join the drum in magnitude as well.

As much as a mess-up it sounds like when listening to it concentrated, it is so relaxed when I don’t pay too much attention to it.

Later on the song gives in on loudness again and also the instruments let it flow out, like a battery bunny that slowly takes the last steps before the battery is completely empty. I like this song :} Great start of a mixtape!

2. Counting before the song kicks in. Hm, I recognize this song even before it starts :P This was actually one of the songs that the former made me think of. I love this one so much. Both sound like perfect starts of a mixtape. Having #1 as the introduction of this one ... daring, yet it works, perfectly. As this song is.

The creepy bridge/ending is my favourite part of the song I think. So much atmosphere :} It grows into a need to escape, and then suddenly stops.

Weird Fishes – Radiohead

3. This song sounds older. A sing songwriter? It reminds me of Bob Dylan. The song doesn’t do much for me, sorry.

4. This song has more power. I like this kind of music :) Again lyrics of sea/ocean and animals.

5. Talking and then a guitar with a second one jumping in. Then it sounds like typical Britpop. Something like Kasabian. It’s okay, I would enjoy if it would come by on the radio, but I would not buy a CD of them.

6. This song sounds a bit older. Something like Joy Division, New Order, you get it. It has a nice rhythm and a dark tone.

7. Woah, it starts with something that sounds like an old movie score. Then a rap starts with a sample that repeats itself on and on. I try to focus on the lyrics but it sounds like ordinary rap. It doesn’t interest me. The sample starts to annoy me, too much of the same. No, I think this was my least favourite of the mixtape.

8. This time the lyrics repeat themselves and the music progresses, in contrast to the last song. No, the music repeats itself as well, but this time it works for me. The music is very nice, it even gives me a bit the feeling that I am in a church. Electronic song this time. Very chilling, this one will definitely make its way on my Mp3 when I know the artist.

9. A simple song, like a modern sing songwriter. The music sounds basic like a theme you’d get from a keyboard. The guy uses this template to tell his story. Suddenly it stops. Yet so gently that I hardly notice it continuing into the next song.

10. Long intro. It nearly takes one and a half minute for the song to progress. The main theme from the start continues, but now with other music added and distorted lyrics like in Charlie Brown. An electronic song again, ambient. The song sounds short, but I guess that’s because of the long intro. I don’t mind though. Nice song, it sounds cute partly due to the sped-up voice.

11. Another electronic song it seems. I like it when at 0:45 the gentle drum comes in. Drum or whatever it’s called. Then it continues like this. This could be background music. Like in a tv show or have a singer sing over it, but just like this it works fine as well.

12. More electronics. At 3:20 the song seems to stop and continue into another one. This sounds more like a mix of several songs than one, which might also be why this number is so long. But then the melody of the ‘first’ song comes in again. Relaxed ending of the mixtape. It is so different compared to the start of the mixtape. More harmonious and warm, which seems odd to me, because the songs seem to have the same genre, so to say. The sound of this one reminds me much of song #8. A long song, but never sounds like it is too long :)

I like it that the mixtape came with a variety of genres. I think the mixtape maker has a special liking for electronical music? Overall I liked 1,2,4 and 8 the most. Quite surprised by it because usually I am more into your random Indie band and not too much electronics. The mixtaper managed to come up with electronical songs that are very much of my liking! Very strong start of the mixtape :thumbsup: I enjoyed this mixtape very much.

PS. Is this made by Italian Plastic?

PS. Is this made by Italian Plastic?

:blank:

YEP. My partner was new and I had no idea what they liked/disliked so I pretty much made a mix out of some of my favourite songs of all time.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

edit: woah this is a long post. i'll spoiler it...

Okay, so this is my review for the new mixtape that was send. Yes, the soundtrack of the Vienna trip is seems :D as I am in Vienna.

1. The start sounds like a heartbeat. Sinister. Then electronica comes in, but with an ambient/lounge feel to it. Distorted sounds like a Radiohead song, a funky bass, then drumming comes in louder and louder to make it all a bit more consistent. To give it a more consistent sound. The rest of the glitches/sounds now start to join the drum in magnitude as well.

As much as a mess-up it sounds like when listening to it concentrated, it is so relaxed when I don’t pay too much attention to it.

Later on the song gives in on loudness again and also the instruments let it flow out, like a battery bunny that slowly takes the last steps before the battery is completely empty. I like this song :} Great start of a mixtape!

This is Hands by Four Tet. I'm glad you like it. So many sounds makes it sound so messy but it's...perfect...i don't even know :bomb:

2. Counting before the song kicks in. Hm, I recognize this song even before it starts :P This was actually one of the songs that the former made me think of. I love this one so much. Both sound like perfect starts of a mixtape. Having #1 as the introduction of this one ... daring, yet it works, perfectly. As this song is.

The creepy bridge/ending is my favourite part of the song I think. So much atmosphere :} It grows into a need to escape, and then suddenly stops.

Weird Fishes – Radiohead

This was the first Radiohead song that really grabbed me. When I was still a Coldplay fanboy, this song really intrigued me and the obsession began...

I think it's underrated, tbh. It's their best.

3. This song sounds older. A sing songwriter? It reminds me of Bob Dylan. The song doesn’t do much for me, sorry.

This is Jesus Etc - Wilco. It's not old, only 2001!

It's a simple, lovely song. I have no idea why I love it so much.

4. This song has more power. I like this kind of music :) Again lyrics of sea/ocean and animals.

I'm very glad you like this one! it's Buffalo by an NZ band The Phoenix Foundation. They played on Jools Holland on the same episode that Coldplay played.

5. Talking and then a guitar with a second one jumping in. Then it sounds like typical Britpop. Something like Kasabian. It’s okay, I would enjoy if it would come by on the radio, but I would not buy a CD of them.

Don't You Evah - Spoon

Again, not really sure why I love this so much. I listened to Spoon a lot when I just started high school. This song has stuck with me since then...

6. This song sounds a bit older. Something like Joy Division, New Order, you get it. It has a nice rhythm and a dark tone.

This is Ceremony by New Order...it was written by Ian Curtis and Joy Division played it a couple of times, but Ian died before they could record it.

This is my dads favourite song of all time, actually. This song might be in my dna...

7. Woah, it starts with something that sounds like an old movie score. Then a rap starts with a sample that repeats itself on and on. I try to focus on the lyrics but it sounds like ordinary rap. It doesn’t interest me. The sample starts to annoy me, too much of the same. No, I think this was my least favourite of the mixtape.

Figaro - Madvillain

ordinary rap!! no way....

I understand where you're coming from though. I used to be like you :P hip hop's not for everyone. Do you like any other hip hop?

I just love how none of the song makes any sense. It's just insane, nonsensical rhyming

"Do not stand still, both show skills

Close but no crills, toast for po' ills, post no bills

Coast to coast Joe Shmoes flows ill, go chill

Not supposed to overdose, no Doz pills"

8. This time the lyrics repeat themselves and the music progresses, in contrast to the last song. No, the music repeats itself as well, but this time it works for me. The music is very nice, it even gives me a bit the feeling that I am in a church. Electronic song this time. Very chilling, this one will definitely make its way on my Mp3 when I know the artist.

yay! Archangel by Burial.

He's one of my favourite musicians, and in my opinion one of the best/most important of this century. No one knew who he was until recently, and even now his identity is practically unknown. He completely changed electronic music!

9. A simple song, like a modern sing songwriter. The music sounds basic like a theme you’d get from a keyboard. The guy uses this template to tell his story. Suddenly it stops. Yet so gently that I hardly notice it continuing into the next song.

I Love Creedence - Casiotone For The Painfully Alone

yeah, simple song. It's the only song i can play on the piano!

10. Long intro. It nearly takes one and a half minute for the song to progress. The main theme from the start continues, but now with other music added and distorted lyrics like in Charlie Brown. An electronic song again, ambient. The song sounds short, but I guess that’s because of the long intro. I don’t mind though. Nice song, it sounds cute partly due to the sped-up voice.

Maybes - Mount Kimbie

This one is important to me because it was one of my first introductions to the world of electronic music outside of DOOF DOOF DOOF music...

11. Another electronic song it seems. I like it when at 0:45 the gentle drum comes in. Drum or whatever it’s called. Then it continues like this. This could be background music. Like in a tv show or have a singer sing over it, but just like this it works fine as well.

Rendezvous - dBridge

That's interesting that you say it could be background music. The rhythm and melodies are very foreground-ish to me. We obviously look at music in different ways!

12. More electronics. At 3:20 the song seems to stop and continue into another one. This sounds more like a mix of several songs than one, which might also be why this number is so long. But then the melody of the ‘first’ song comes in again. Relaxed ending of the mixtape. It is so different compared to the start of the mixtape. More harmonious and warm, which seems odd to me, because the songs seem to have the same genre, so to say. The sound of this one reminds me much of song #8. A long song, but never sounds like it is too long :)

Moth - Burial & Four Tet

This is my all time favourite song, no doubt about it. The unique styles of Burial and Four Tet combined is mindblowing to me. I can't begin to describe how I feel about this song, haha. It's perfect.

I like it that the mixtape came with a variety of genres. I think the mixtape maker has a special liking for electronical music? Overall I liked 1,2,4 and 8 the most. Quite surprised by it because usually I am more into your random Indie band and not too much electronics. The mixtaper managed to come up with electronical songs that are very much of my liking! Very strong start of the mixtape :thumbsup: I enjoyed this mixtape very much.

heh, thanks. Yeah, over the past 2-3 years I've grown very fond of electronic music...I just think it's generally more interesting than non-electronic music.

I'm glad you liked it :nice:

1. Hands - Four Tet

2. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi - Radiohead

3. Jesus, Etc - Wilco

4. Buffalo - The Phoenix Foundation

5. Don't You Evah - Spoon

6. Ceremony - New Order

7. Figaro - Madvillain

8. Archangel - Burial

9. I Love Creedence - Casiotone For The Painfully Alone

10. Maybes - Mount Kimbie

11. Rendezvous - dBridge

12. Moth - Burial & Four Tet

This was the first Radiohead song that really grabbed me. When I was still a Coldplay fanboy, this song really intrigued me and the obsession began...

I think mine was Reckoner, but basically their whole In Rainbows album. Before that only a few songs stood out of them. In Rainbows, a whole masterpiece!

This is Jesus Etc - Wilco. It's not old, only 2001! :surprised: I really thought it was 70's or something, hahaha!

This is Ceremony by New Order...it was written by Ian Curtis and Joy Division played it a couple of times, but Ian died before they could record it.

Oh, I didn't know this song. So I got the sound right, it does not just sound like them, it is them.

ordinary rap!! no way....

I understand where you're coming from though. I used to be like you :P hip hop's not for everyone. Do you like any other hip hop?

I think you're right :( I only like a few hip-hop songs. I guess I never really got that part of music.

Moth - Burial & Four Tet

This is my all time favourite song, no doubt about it. The unique styles of Burial and Four Tet combined is mindblowing to me. I can't begin to describe how I feel about this song, haha. It's perfect.

Hehehe, now Iunderstand why it sounded to me like #1 and #8, they are those artists. Wow, you definately just got me interested in these artists. Burial has a typical sound that I apparently like very much!

Djibou, are you going to post tracklistings of reviewed tapes that are not published yet? I think I reviewed mine two months ago and I still didn't see a tracklisting of it. I am curious which songs they are :bomb:

If you don't mind I can also post a summary of which tapes have been reviewed by who and links and tracklisting. Maybe it will encourage some people to do a review/tracklisting if they haven't done so yet.

First mixtape review of mine on here ... here we go

Split the Sky

I like the name of the mixtape. It’s already a nice start! :thumbsup:

1. A relax start of the mixtape. Nice soft guitar that plays what sounds a bit like a waltz. Yet, when listening to the lyrics carefully this song is not so relax anymore, but gets a bit a dark depressing tone. Is this setting the tone of the mixtape or will I hear some more cheerful and/or heavier stuff on the way?

2. Nice, here’s the more heavy stuff. It sounds like an old song (old as in decades ago). Nice old-fashion typical guitar chord for a start. Short, simple way of a song. Nothing special, I don’t know if I like it... I have heard this song on the radio, but I don’t know what it is. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge with the guitar solo, chorus. The standard song structure. And yet at the end I find the song end too fast. I guess I liked it after all!

3. Rock & Roll. This guy seems to enjoy his singing. Uplifting lyrics. This is the more cheerful stuff :) Accompanying choir of some smooth singing ladies. I see some black ladies singing with him. Is this an old song as well? I don’t think I really like it though, sorry.

4. Creepy Crazy Witch is saying something creepy and then laughing evil… strange start of the song. I like that :P It made me smile. In the little silence I was wondering how it would continue.… then folk, harmonic singing. Is that a tambourine? Oh, and an accordion comes in later too, yeah, it gives it a folksy touch. The song is shorter than the time on my player says it to be. Actually I think this ending is fitting and it shouldn’t be longer. It’s good like this. I like it.

5. Ah, what a nice song! And what a nice voice that man has. I guess the band doesn’t show up so high on my last.fm because I have physical CD’s of this band and they are not showing up on last.fm. I love this band. They have such atmosphere in their songs. Although you hear a bunch of guitars, I’d say they are an electronic band after all. This is a great song.

This is Depeche Mode - Policy of Truth.

6. Steady beat underneath the dark piano. Woman starts singing. 1:48h … oh wow, what a nice build-up right there. Nice piano track. Then I imagine I hear her walk out into the urban area? I especially like the chorus and the instrumental part after it.

7. Is it me or is the quality of this song’s sound output pretty bad? A classic song though. Can’t not know this one, when you listen to nowadays bands like White Lies and The Editors. I can’t believe that this song is so old! And when listening to this The Editors suddenly sound like such a rip-off. The dark moody singing. The dark moody bass. This is the real stuff. This is good stuff!

This is Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

8. I was wondering if I’d would hear a New order, The Smiths, or The Cure song after #7 and #5 and then the next song came in. I know the band, but I must say that I don’t know the name of the song without looking for it. This guy’s voice and the music. He was just like #7 his time ahead. Influencer of so many indie bands. I am surprised that both #7 and #8 were making this kind of music already in the 70’s /80’s. Great lyrics. “He will never, never do it again... not until the next time” I like how he can sing through the music, how it’s weaving through each other and thereby making the song more interesting as it would be otherwise. I love the band, I love this song. You just made me look up their music again.

9. Slow start of the song. Female vocalist comes in. Dark lyrics. I have got the feeling this song is more about the lyrics than the music. I like the music nonetheless. It’s a bit jazzy. I am not fond of jazz, but in this song I like the touch of jazz. It’s eerie as well. A bit too slow for my taste, but I don’t know how this song would otherwise work. Hm, I have given it a fair amount of listens but I am still indecisive of what to think of the song.

10. I’ve got this CD. Played it many, many times. (I have put a song from this album in my mixtape as well :uhoh: ) In the end they build-up to the more typical sound of the band, but because of the slow and dark way the song sounds before the ragging guitars, this song seems to me a nice example of a nowadays band that is influenced by above bands.

This is Arcade Fire – Une Année Sans Lumiere.

I like the difference between male and female on the mixtape and the dark/depressing tone the whole seems to have. There’s not really a happy exploding song on it (except maybe #3 and somehow that also happens to be the one song I liked the least of the mixtape), but I guess such a song would not fit in this collection of songs. There’s mostly old fashion rock/pop on here, I’d say, though #5 is a bit electronic. The weather up here was these last days pretty bad. Dark clouds split the sky with their thunder and rain. Fits the mixtape. I don’t know if the weather made me find this mixtape so fitting or that it is because of the weather that I feel this tape has an overall dark tone. As a Scandinavian music lover I guess I have the tendency to like moody songs and the songs on this mixtape fit in that preference. I wonder if you have peeked on the last.fm link I put in this thread.

The quality of the sound of the songs wasn’t too good in some cases. The nice thing about it is that the songs sounded old to me, maybe older than they were, hahaha! (if that makes sense)

My favorite might have been #7 or #8. It envoked my love for The Smiths again :} Thank you for that.

Is this mixtape made by a guy my age, perhaps even from some northern region? Anyway, thanks for making the tape! I am curious who the other songs are made by.

1. Candy Says-The Velvet Underground

2. Teenage Kicks-The Undertones

3. Walls Come Tumbling Down!-The Style Council

4. Toboggan -Breathe Owl Breathe

5. Policy of Truth -Depeche Mode

6. My Moon, My Man -Feist

7. Love Will Tear Us Apart- Joy Division

8. Sweet and Tender Hooligan- The Smiths

9. Une Annee Sans Lumiere-Arcade Fire

10. Guns of Brixton -Nouvelle Vague

:D your partner was Viki!

Review! (I suck at reviews so apologies in advance!)

01. "We're setting fires to our insides for fun" I liked the simple guitarin' it started off with and the build up is nice. The lyrics are great, too. Loved it!! "And if you're in love, you're the lucky one because most of us are bitter over someone..." UGH. I love this song so much so so much BRB CRYING.

02. Simple acoustic arrangement, nice folksy/pop vibes. Love the guy's voice. Very pretty :)

03. Hmmm, the guys voice is not exactly my cup of tea. It's not terribly bad! The voice is something that makes or breaks it for me. The song is alright, but there's something I don't enjoy about the it. Hmm. Not bad.

04. Spanishy folk music but I don't understand the lyrics? Hahaha, which is fine! The voices together sound really pretty. :3

05. Life's too short to even care at all! This song is nice :)

06. Spanish! Fun, summery, music. Me gusta! When it comes to music in Spanish I am terribly, terribly picky, I must confess but this isn't half bad!

07. This song didn't particularly stand out. It wasn't bad, and I love the line "everyday I'm sitting in the ballroom of our bro-ken hearts"

08. Is this... Calle 13?!?! I don't have a very in depth education on their music but I hear songs by them here and there. I love love their songs, just everything about it the music, the lyrics. The lyrics. :')

09. The Shrine / An Argument. This song fucking owns, man. Fleet Foxes is one of my top 5 bands. I highly, HIGHLY approve of this choice!!!! :DDDD

10. Go Do! I love Jonsi so much. This song always makes me feel like going on adventures and conquering the world. A very grand and beautiful way to close off a mixtape :-)))

-------

Overrall, this mixtape was very enjoyable!! There are a a couple songs there that are a bit meeh, but overall very good. I love the throw of Spanish in there. Thank you so much!!

1 Youth by Daughter

http://www.youtube.com/user/ohdaught...e=results_main

2 All hearts by River Tiber

http://www.rivertiber.com

3 Weatherman by Boy Lights Fire

https://www.facebook.com/boylightsfire

4 velha infancia by tribalistas

http://www.lastfm.es/music/Tribalistas

5 Cough Syrup by Young the Giant

http://www.youtube.com/user/YoungtheGiant

6 Explorador by Fother Mucker

https://www.facebook.com/fothermuckers

7 Ballroom of broken hearts by The Gallery

http://thegallerymusic.bandcamp.com/...-broken-hearts

8 Latinoamerica by Calle 13

http://www.lacalle13.com

9 The Shrine / An Argument by Fleet Foxes

http://fleetfoxes.com

10 Go do by Jónsi

http://jonsi.com/

:cheesy:

Mixtape was made by Paulacp!

Hey, Cheese Nip 2. I have a review for your tape, if you'd like to read it. :smiley:

Your tape was given to me because apparently, yours hadn't been reviewed yet. I found out it was yours because it had your name in the file name. I hope you don't mind me calling you out. I just wanted to make sure you read this.

To start the review, I'd like to share the track listing that I received with the songs.

CheeseNip2sMTE12TrackListingOrIsIt.jpg

I was disappointed at first to see song names and titles, but I realized soon enough upon actually reading them that this was completely fake. It was some of the genres and years that helped me out with that. Of course, there was also a few bits of album art leftover, too. You did have me worried for a bit, though, when I saw "Lebanese folk dance" as a genre. I was thinking to myself, "Oh God, please no. D;"

Now that I've got that out of the way, let's talk about the music.

1. I know this song like the back of my hand. It's "Auf Asche" by Franz Ferdinand. I love them (especially Alex and Nick). "She's not so special, so look what you've done, boy." Excellent choice. :dance:

2. This song is like a rock-country meld. I guess you'd call that Southern rock. The lyrics talk about soldiers or something like that. The "la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la" bit got a bit annoying. It's alright, but it's not something I'm just dying to listen to again, if you know what I mean.

3. Alex Turner's voice is so distinct. This is "Dance Little Liar" by Arctic Monkeys. I'm more a fan of earlier Arctic Monkeys, but this'll work, too. This song is kinda sexy, in its own way. Maybe I should take a straight-through listen of "Humbug" and see what happens.

4. This is a funky track. It has guitar with some distorting effects. The vocalist kinda reminds me of Paul McCartney or something. Maybe this is an older Wings track? I don't really know a whole lot of older music, so my guess is probably really stupid. I wrote in my original notes that at the beginning, I was hoping it was Jamiroquai. While it's not Jamiroquai, it's not bad by any means. I like it better than Track 2, at any rate.

5. I don't know a lot of Jack Johnson, but I definitely know this song. It's "Upside Down." :heart: It played a lot on the radio here some time ago. It was one of the few songs on it that I actually liked. This just reminds me that I should really look into the guy. I have him on my ever-growing "Artists to Check Out" list.

6. The album art tells me this song is by a band called Black Box Revelation. I believe I've seen you talk about them quite a bit. The guy's voice has this really strange twang that I really just don't. "Oh please, don't you worry. Let's dance all through the night." The song's feel reminds me quite a bit of "Honky-Tonk Women" by The Rolling Stones. I've never been a fan of them, either, if I'm honest about it.

7. OMG. "The Cascades" by Fleet Foxes. I love them, I love this song, I love the album it comes off of. I just...ARGH. :heart: :heart: :heart:

8. "Before you slip into unconsciousness, I'd like to have another kiss." This sounds like an older track. Actually, the guy singing sounds like David Bowie to me, but I'm not sure if it is. The voice sounds too soft, and if I remember correctly, Bowie has a rather powerful voice. (I'm juding this based on my (very) limited knowledge of Bowie songs.) Either way, I really like this.

9. It took me a minute, but I realized that this is "America." The only reason I know the song in the first place is because Josh Groban did a cover of it once. Am I right in assuming this is the Paul Simon original? I really like it if it is. I have a feeling I would really like Paul Simon if I took a gaze into his work.

10. "AHHHHAAAHAAAHAHAHAHAAA." OKWTF? That was weird. The album art says this is The Clash, and apparently, this is a well-known song by them. The only thing I've ever heard before this relating to The Clash is a live cover of "Clampdown" that The Strokes did. I have mixed feelings about this song. There are some things I like, but there are also things that I don't like. I'll have to listen to this a couple more times to see which way I fall on it.

11. This song starts with guitar arpeggios in A. OMG, I love this female vocalist. I think I'm falling in love with this song. "Tomorrow will be kinder. It's true; I've seen it before. A brighter day is comin' my way. Yes, tomorrow will be kinder." :heart: I know this tape wasn't made for me, but this song really strikes me. Thanks a lot.

12. The beginning reminded me just a little bit of "Rebel Yell" by Billy Idol, although this definitely isn't that. This song sounds like it might be part of the '90s or something. The feel sounds quite a bit like something off of Noel Gallagher's solo album, so maybe this is an Oasis track. I've never been given a reason to like them before, but if this is indeed Oasis, this is the best Oasis song I've ever heard. If not, then you can just tell me who it is and show me how much I don't know. LOL.

13. This is an instrumental, and a most excellent one at that. It got my attention from the very start and held it all the way to the end. It has a distinct rock flavor due to the guitar in it. Very nice! I can't wait to see who this is. I love it.

14. This sounds '80s. I detect a heavy use of drum machine. I'm not a fan of that decade by any means, but I've definitely heard worse songs than that. It reminds me somewhat of Seona Dancing. (Don't ask.) "First, I'm gonna make it. Then, I'm gonna break it 'til it falls apart." I initially heard the part "breaking your brittle heart" as "breaking your pretzel heart." I liked my mishearing better. :lol:

15. MMMMM, brass. I'm a huge brass person, so I love this already. "I am too hungry to imagine a different ending to this famine." I like that bit of the lyrics. I really like this song. The vocalist sounds nice and calm, and the brass keeps on going throughout the song.

16. This song reminds me of Interpol. Interpol was alright for a while, but I got to where I didn't like them. This definitely isn't Interpol, though. Paul Banks is another one of those people who have a unique voice. The voice I do hear is a voice I find annoyingly endearing. What I mean by that is there is something that annoys me about it, but I like it at the same time. I feel that way about the whole song, really. It's a weird feeling to have.

17. A live track to end the tape? Interesting. The album art once again gives itself away and tells me this is a band called The Alarm, who I have never heard of before. I'm insanely picky with live music, but I'll try to put that aside as I listen to this. It's alright, although the backing vocalist pretty much kills it in the chorus.

Basically, I got some stuff I knew with some stuff that I have never been really exposed to before. Despite the fact that this wasn't made specifically for me, I feel like I could learn quite a bit from this. There were a couple of things I didn't like, but that's OK. There were a lot of things I did like. (Track 11, how I love you. :heart:) I'm sorry your original partner didn't fulfill his mixtape duties, but at the same time, I'm really glad I got to hear your tape. Thanks a lot. :smiley: :hug:

Come here soon with the track listing! I'm sure we'd all like to see it.

Hey, Cheese Nip 2. I have a review for your tape, if you'd like to read it. :smiley:

Your tape was given to me because apparently, yours hadn't been reviewed yet. I found out it was yours because it had your name in the file name. I hope you don't mind me calling you out. I just wanted to make sure you read this.

I don't mind at all!:) Just glad I'm getting reviewed!:lol:

I was disappointed at first to see song names and titles, but I realized soon enough upon actually reading them that this was completely fake. It was some of the genres and years that helped me out with that. Of course, there was also a few bits of album art leftover, too. You did have me worried for a bit, though, when I saw "Lebanese folk dance" as a genre. I was thinking to myself, "Oh God, please no. D;"

:lol: Yeah I messed with the genres a lot. I tried to delete the album covers, but I guess it didn't work to well. I hope it wasn't that bad.

Now that I've got that out of the way, let's talk about the music.

1. I know this song like the back of my hand. It's "Auf Asche" by Franz Ferdinand. I love them (especially Alex and Nick). "She's not so special, so look what you've done, boy." Excellent choice. :dance:

It is indeed Auf Asche. It's such a cool yet haunting song. I thought it would make a good intro

2. This song is like a rock-country meld. I guess you'd call that Southern rock. The lyrics talk about soldiers or something like that. The "la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la" bit got a bit annoying. It's alright, but it's not something I'm just dying to listen to again, if you know what I mean.

This is Ohio by Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young. I could see how you could find Neil Young's voice annoying (it's quite a popular opinion actually!). After all, they call him "Squeel Young" for a reason :lol:

3. Alex Turner's voice is so distinct. This is "Dance Little Liar" by Arctic Monkeys. I'm more a fan of earlier Arctic Monkeys, but this'll work, too. This song is kinda sexy, in its own way. Maybe I should take a straight-through listen of "Humbug" and see what happens.

Yup, This is "Dance Little Liar". I think Humbug is definitly a grower, and on this song his voice is very dark and crooning, which is a side of Alex I find really cool. A lot of Humbug is like that actually.

4. This is a funky track. It has guitar with some distorting effects. The vocalist kinda reminds me of Paul McCartney or something. Maybe this is an older Wings track? I don't really know a whole lot of older music, so my guess is probably really stupid. I wrote in my original notes that at the beginning, I was hoping it was Jamiroquai. While it's not Jamiroquai, it's not bad by any means. I like it better than Track 2, at any rate.

This is actually the Grateful Dead, but you got the time period correct. It's a song called "Shakedown Street", and the lead singer is Jerry Garcia. I'm not a huge Dead Head but I've always found this song really catchy and fun to dance to.

5. I don't know a lot of Jack Johnson, but I definitely know this song. It's "Upside Down." :heart: It played a lot on the radio here some time ago. It was one of the few songs on it that I actually liked. This just reminds me that I should really look into the guy. I have him on my ever-growing "Artists to Check Out" list.

Yeah this is a pretty popular song. I've been getting into Jack Johnson myself and this is the song that introduced me to him, so I'm glad I reminded you about him.:)

6. The album art tells me this song is by a band called Black Box Revelation. I believe I've seen you talk about them quite a bit. The guy's voice has this really strange twang that I really just don't. "Oh please, don't you worry. Let's dance all through the night." The song's feel reminds me quite a bit of "Honky-Tonk Women" by The Rolling Stones. I've never been a fan of them, either, if I'm honest about it.

It's called "Shiver of Joy", and I have indeed mentioned Black Box Revelation quite a bit. It definitly sounds like The Rolling Stones, and seeing I was raised on the Stones I gravitated heavily to BBR.

7. OMG. "The Cascades" by Fleet Foxes. I love them, I love this song, I love the album it comes off of. I just...ARGH. :heart: :heart: :heart:

What more can I say about this. Great song, great band, great album:smug:

8. "Before you slip into unconsciousness, I'd like to have another kiss." This sounds like an older track. Actually, the guy singing sounds like David Bowie to me, but I'm not sure if it is. The voice sounds too soft, and if I remember correctly, Bowie has a rather powerful voice. (I'm juding this based on my (very) limited knowledge of Bowie songs.) Either way, I really like this.

This is "The Crystal Ship" by The Doors (the band in my profile pic). Like Alex Turner who was earlier in the mixtape, the singer, Jim Morrison, has a bit of a croon to his voice. It's from 1967, so it's quite old. You said you didn't know to a lot of old music, so I'm glad you liked it.

9. It took me a minute, but I realized that this is "America." The only reason I know the song in the first place is because Josh Groban did a cover of it once. Am I right in assuming this is the Paul Simon original? I really like it if it is. I have a feeling I would really like Paul Simon if I took a gaze into his work.

Yeah I love this song. It is indeed Paul Simon (and Art Garfunkel). Simon has got a lot of great tracks, and if you like this I would highly recommend looking into his work, wheather it be solo or with Simon and Garfunkel:)

10. "AHHHHAAAHAAAHAHAHAHAAA." OKWTF? That was weird. The album art says this is The Clash, and apparently, this is a well-known song by them. The only thing I've ever heard before this relating to The Clash is a live cover of "Clampdown" that The Strokes did. I have mixed feelings about this song. There are some things I like, but there are also things that I don't like. I'll have to listen to this a couple more times to see which way I fall on it.

This song is controversial even in The Clash fanbase. It's called "This Is Radio Clash" and many see it as The Clash, a traditionally punk band, "selling out" as it includes some dub reggae and disco influnces. Clampdown is great by the way;)

11. This song starts with guitar arpeggios in A. OMG, I love this female vocalist. I think I'm falling in love with this song. "Tomorrow will be kinder. It's true; I've seen it before. A brighter day is comin' my way. Yes, tomorrow will be kinder." :heart: I know this tape wasn't made for me, but this song really strikes me. Thanks a lot.

Ah yes. This is "Tomorrow Will Be Kinder" by The Secret Sisters. It's pretty obscure and the only reason I even know it is because it was on my sister's copy of "The Hunger Games: Songs from District 12 and Beyond" (which is the only place it's been released!) and it immedietly caught my attention. But this song deserves to be so much more than just being a track on a sountrack. It's so incredibly beautiful, and I'm very interested in seeing what comes next from this group. I'm really glad you liked it.

12. The beginning reminded me just a little bit of "Rebel Yell" by Billy Idol, although this definitely isn't that. This song sounds like it might be part of the '90s or something. The feel sounds quite a bit like something off of Noel Gallagher's solo album, so maybe this is an Oasis track. I've never been given a reason to like them before, but if this is indeed Oasis, this is the best Oasis song I've ever heard. If not, then you can just tell me who it is and show me how much I don't know. LOL.

This actually is an Oasis track! It's called "Underneath The Sky", and like many of the greatest Oasis tracks, it was a B-side. Many agree that there B-sides were better than there A-sides, so maybe that's why you like it better then other Oasis songs.

13. This is an instrumental, and a most excellent one at that. It got my attention from the very start and held it all the way to the end. It has a distinct rock flavor due to the guitar in it. Very nice! I can't wait to see who this is. I love it.

This is "The Rock" by The Who. It's off there album "Quadrophenia", which is one of my all time favorite albums. The guitarist/writer Pete Townsend is quite brilliant on this track, working with motifs from elsewhere on the album into this amazing guitar instrumental. If you ever get a chance to listen to the whole album give it a go. This song sounds even better in the context of the album I think.

14. This sounds '80s. I detect a heavy use of drum machine. I'm not a fan of that decade by any means, but I've definitely heard worse songs than that. It reminds me somewhat of Seona Dancing. (Don't ask.) "First, I'm gonna make it. Then, I'm gonna break it 'til it falls apart." I initially heard the part "breaking your brittle heart" as "breaking your pretzel heart." I liked my mishearing better. :lol:

:lol: I didn't know what he was saying the first time I heard it either! This is "Bring on the Dancing Horses" by Echo and the Bunnymen. I'm also not a huge fan of the eighties, but this song has always stuck out to me. I know Chris is a fan, and the Bunnymen song "Lips Like Sugar" was covered by Coldplay.

15. MMMMM, brass. I'm a huge brass person, so I love this already. "I am too hungry to imagine a different ending to this famine." I like that bit of the lyrics. I really like this song. The vocalist sounds nice and calm, and the brass keeps on going throughout the song.

This is Jakob Dylan. He actually is the son of Bob Dylan but has a sounds (and a voice) all his own. This is a solo work of his, as he usually works with his band "The Wallflowers". I thought this song was really epic and just had to include it.

16. This song reminds me of Interpol. Interpol was alright for a while, but I got to where I didn't like them. This definitely isn't Interpol, though. Paul Banks is another one of those people who have a unique voice. The voice I do hear is a voice I find annoyingly endearing. What I mean by that is there is something that annoys me about it, but I like it at the same time. I feel that way about the whole song, really. It's a weird feeling to have.

The is called "Nova Baby", and it is an uncharacteristic song by The Black Keys, who usually prefer the blues. I included it because it's a different sound from them, so it's kind of unique. I think it's a pretty fun song.

17. A live track to end the tape? Interesting. The album art once again gives itself away and tells me this is a band called The Alarm, who I have never heard of before. I'm insanely picky with live music, but I'll try to put that aside as I listen to this. It's alright, although the backing vocalist pretty much kills it in the chorus.

Yeah, looking back I don't know why I added a live song, as I don't like them on mixtapes either (but for some reason, here it is). It's a cover of the Bob Dylan classic "Knocking on Heaven's Door", which has also been covered by Guns N' Roses (though I don't much care for that version).

Basically, I got some stuff I knew with some stuff that I have never been really exposed to before. Despite the fact that this wasn't made specifically for me, I feel like I could learn quite a bit from this. There were a couple of things I didn't like, but that's OK. There were a lot of things I did like. (Track 11, how I love you. :heart:) I'm sorry your original partner didn't fulfill his mixtape duties, but at the same time, I'm really glad I got to hear your tape. Thanks a lot. :smiley: :hug:

Thanks for reviewing my tape, and I'm glad you found some stuff you liked or hadn't heard before. Although It wasn't made for you, I guess it's good a way as any to learn music you wouldn't noramlly hear. It inspires me to listen to some of the tapes with artists I don't really know on them. I really enjoyed hearing feedback from someone who doesn't usually listen to the same stuff I do:D

Come here soon with the track listing! I'm sure we'd all like to see it.

The tracklisting is as follows:

1. Auf Achse - Franz Ferdinand

2. Ohio - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young

3. Dance Little Liar - Arctic Monkeys

4. Shakedown Street - The Grateful Dead

5. Upside Down - Jack Johnson

6. Shiver of Joy - Black Box Revelation

7. The Cascades - Fleet Foxes

8. The Crystal Ship - The Doors

9. America - Simon and Garfunkel

10. This is Radio Clash - The Clash

11. Tomorrow Will Be Kinder - The Secret Sisters

12. Underneath The Sky - Oasis

13. The Rock - The Who

14. Bring on The Dancing Horses - Echo and The Bunnymen

15. Standing Eight Count - Jakob Dylan

16. Nova Baby - The Black Keys

17. Knocking On Heaven's Door - The Alarm

The tracklisting is as follows:

1. Auf Achse - Franz Ferdinand

2. Ohio - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young

3. Dance Little Liar - Arctic Monkeys

4. Shakedown Street - The Grateful Dead

5. Upside Down - Jack Johnson

6. Shiver of Joy - Black Box Revelation

7. The Cascades - Fleet Foxes

8. The Crystal Ship - The Doors

9. America - Simon and Garfunkel

10. This is Radio Clash - The Clash

11. Tomorrow Will Be Kinder - The Secret Sisters

12. Underneath The Sky - Oasis

13. The Rock - The Who

14. Bring on The Dancing Horses - Echo and The Bunnymen

15. Standing Eight Count - Jakob Dylan

16. Nova Baby - The Black Keys

17. Knocking On Heaven's Door - The Alarm

A couple of things...

2. Ahhhhh, Neil Young. That explains a lot. I've heard of the group, but I'm more familiar with their other projects (e.g. The Byrds).

4. I've heard of them, but I've never listened to them before. Interesting. I'm glad my time period was at least right. :lol:

8. The Doors? Really? I wouldn't have expected that. That's a pleasant surprise.

9. Yesssss. I'll definitely try to look into both acts.

11. Soundtracks are awesome like that. I'll definitely look out for The Secret Sisters. Seriously, man, that song is pretty much the best thing ever.

12. HOLY SHIT MY WORLD JUST EXPLODED. You might not think that's a big deal, but I've never found a reason to like Oasis-until now. I've heard several Oasis songs and found Liam's voice to be annoying. This song changes everything. I can't say I hate Oasis anymore. /epiphany.

13. DUDE. They're another group I've been meaning to get into. I must make it a mission at some point in my life to get into some of the older music as well as the new.

15. ORLY? I had no idea Bob Dylan even had a kid, much less one that did music, too. I feel stupid. :disappointed: I like his music heaps better than his father's, though, no doubt.

16. I've heard a couple of Black Keys songs before, but not this one. I'll have to look into this as well.

Thanks again! :D