✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What is THE rarest Coldplay release?

Black Dog

I think the Christmas Lights popup is definately the rarest item, but it wasn't really released, just given to friends and family.

The What If promo seems to be extremely rare, as well as the Don't Panic 12" vinyl and the Safety EP.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'd never seen an image of the pop-up edition before. I would love a copy, but if one ever comes up for sale I'm sure it will go for hundreds. You can certainly tell that Phil was playing with ideas for a pop-up edition of MX.

I find record collecting fascinating, so naturally I'm wondering: what's the rarest Coldplay recording of them all? I have heard there is a White Shadows promo out there but I've never seen one.

You can catergorise these in two areas - promo and non promo releases.

Promo releases will always be much rarer as they're made in lesser quantities for tv, radio, press etc. Even rarer than these are promo cassettes or CD's made for the purpose of listening back to a new recording. Some of these will include unreleased versions though some have been leaked others haven't been made public. There's an early promo cassette which ncludes an unreleased version of Shiver. Ode to Deodorant is another cassette promo that most people know about.

Other promos include live unreleased concerts or radio broadcasts. Some of these CD's includes tracks not broadcast on radio.

Non promo releases are releases that can be bought in shops by the general public. Some of the rarer Coldplay material are numbered vinyl editions, Non-UK issues with alternative picture sleeves and remixes. Some copies of the 'Safety EP' were sold in shops and 500 copies were pressed though it isn't the rarest recording, it certainly is the holy grail for most Coldplay collectors hence the price it commands in auction £500-£1200.

Yeah, I asked about the X&Y some time ago. There's no music on it, just literal marketing info, or so I was told. I passed, especially at that price. The parachutes pro is a nice pickup, but even rarer is the same promo release with a different track listing. I have the one listed in the auction, and a second that starts with Shiver. Aside from the one I own, I've only seen one other with that listing order up for sale.

Yeah, I asked about the X&Y some time ago. There's no music on it, just literal marketing info, or so I was told. I passed, especially at that price. The parachutes pro is a nice pickup, but even rarer is the same promo release with a different track listing. I have the one listed in the auction, and a second that starts with Shiver. Aside from the one I own, I've only seen one other with that listing order up for sale.

Amazing. Nice work.

The Brothers And Sisters Single CD from Fierce Panda with the marking NING 68, is also pretty rare i got one myself. Does anyone know how rare it is ? Ive heard something about 2500 copies. I just bought Blue Room EP on Ebay too, it's also rare, but how rare?

Nice to see some other Coldplayer's collect :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I would to buy some rare singles/CDs but there are a lot of false copies of them. Have you some tips when we buy ? What should we look at first ?

If you're buying from eBay, make sure the seller has HIGH ratings, and that any complaints have nothing to do with items being counterfeit. I usually ask the sellers to provide me with information, like certain markings or serial numbers that should be on the CD, vinyl or casings/sleeves. If there's something you're looking at, but you're not sure, shoot me a PM with a link. No guarintees, but I've been collecting their stuff for awhile, and will give you my honest opinion (and promise not to snag it).

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Mince Spies CD from Coldplayground fanzine

But i'm still haunted by making the terrible mistake of cutting the form out of the back of my first Fanzine to send away for payment and to join up! Why didn't i just photocopy it?!? Ruined it