✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

When Exactlly Did Coldplay Become A Big Band?

coldplaymom

It's funny because I think that Coldplay really took off with everyone in 2008 after Viva la Vida, they really hit it after VlV. But anyway I've followed Coldplay since THE beginning (when I was 5!) And now Coldplay are the best band in the world, simple. Nobody comes close, Coldplay can play instruments and deliver EVERY single time they do a gig, oh and they can sing! Unlike 99% of the artists around today, *cough* Nicki Minaj *cough*

It's funny because I think that Coldplay really took off with everyone in 2008 after Viva la Vida, they really hit it after VlV. But anyway I've followed Coldplay since THE beginning (when I was 5!) And now Coldplay are the best band in the world, simple. Nobody comes close, Coldplay can play instruments and deliver EVERY single time they do a gig, oh and they can sing! Unlike 99% of the artists around today, *cough* Nicki Minaj *cough*

You were five! I followed them from the beginning, but I was 30!

They exploded when X&Y was coming out, more than VLV but that was bigger in the US. Here in the UK, Coldplay were EVERYWHERE, Speed of Sound was played everywhere in almost every shopping centre, every radio station constantly, man those were the days. They are still massive Paradise has been their most successful UK single but X&Y was the dogs.

Honestly, I think to answer the question you have to define what you mean by "big band" (and to a lesser extent what area of the world you're talking about.)

Parachutes sold over a million copies in the UK and by the end of it's tour they were already selling out fairly major venues. By the time I saw them in 2003 when I was visiting a friend they were already over as a full fledged arena act.

In the US, I would say they didn't get quite as massive until the start of the Twisted Logic tour in 2005.

Viva was the era where to me they could legitimately begin to say they were in the top flight category of long term massive acts.

That said, for all the hype about them being the "biggest band in the world" they're not quite there yet as that's still U2 to me. In purely commercial terms U2 360 makes any tour Coldplay have done look like a small club tour by comparison. I will say Coldplay are the biggest band in their age group though (and please don't tell me Muse has a claim on that title, I love them dearly, but they're not even an arena level act in some places yet.)

To me this question is reallllly open-ended and open to interpretation for me to really give a concrete answer. As fakfak said you'd have to then define what "big band" is which then involves additional things of "big" and "popularity" and "success"

Yes Coldplay is Circus for the masses not more for the true fans listen here and real soul not sale for the devil luxury money showbiz ect.. .

I have respect for U2 guys, because it's my childhood.

Muse become money and renowned and therefore is less interesting to listen they lost music should be applied (I just hear this X ?).

Example Radiohead has always been something that means philosophy complicated but applied make real music because they are serious musicians .

Oh shit miss all the freedom simplicity and clarity. I hear the concerts today is 50% of sounds,the music now is just more noise, more people listening to a disco music instruments, goes much fast.

not 100% like here example of concerts:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BuVvw6O3y8]Coldplay live @ Eurockéenes Festival, Belfort, France, July 7th 2000 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tpXC0woMD0&feature=related]coldplay performing yellow and in my place live - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASXvUpNcl-w&feature=related]Coldplay-Animals - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGgLdnC3smE&feature=related]Coldplay - Full Concert live from Manchester Arena 2002 - YouTube[/ame]

Well, when I started this thread, big band to me meant selling lots of records and filling arenas. I'm glad people have given their own interpretations and presented angles I didn't even consider.

According to one Chris Martin, being big means lots of people buying your records and leaving them in their cars :lol: He'd rather Coldplay is better than bigger.

As someone said, they got a big hit with Yellow and Trouble back in 2000, But I have the feeling that it was around 2002 - 2003 that they got really big, with AROBTTH and Chris' marriage.

But I don't know..I didn't heard about them until X&Y came out..

I think they were already big when X&Y came, but when VLV came they became massive.

Well, when I started this thread, big band to me meant selling lots of records and filling arenas. I'm glad people have given their own interpretations and presented angles I didn't even consider.

According to one Chris Martin, being big means lots of people buying your records and leaving them in their cars :lol: He'd rather Coldplay is better than bigger.

Then Chris should be happy, because all of their CDs are in my car.

Then Chris should be happy, because all of their CDs are in my car.

In mine as well. I had to go back and listen to that interview one more time to make sure I wasn't misquoting him. He says, "big just means more people who don't really know about music have bought your record and keep it in their cars. It doesn't mean anything. Good is what we want to be".

XM Radio Artist Confidential 2005-06-13. They were obviously promoting X&Y at the time.