✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

When Exactlly Did Coldplay Become A Big Band?

coldplaymom

I was cooking dinner earlier when this question crossed my mind. When did they exactly become a big band? Was it after Glastonbury 2002? Or When they played that stretch of concerts in June 2003, notably the Hollywood Bowl, Red Rocks, and Madison Square Garden. Or was it when they toured X&Y?

Is there a bigger band than Coldplay right now? Just wondering.

I'm very interested in what others have to say. It probably differs a bit in different perspectives. I became aware of them when Parachutes came out. I bought the album and listened to it quite a bit, but did not become *obsessed* with them until AROBTTH came out. Maybe when Clocks was released started really giving them major exposure. I'm fairly certain that they were a big deal in the industry before X&Y, but I don't follow "the industry" that closely, so I know there are others that can weigh in properly!!

I'm curious to hear if people think there is a bigger band than Coldplay right now too. I HATE the constant comparisons to U2, but when I saw them last year my thought was that no band could top it....

and then I saw Coldplay this summer for the first time and I was blown away! :sneaky:

Based on the madness surrounding getting tickets I would say on X&Y tour. I saw them at the begining of the AROBTTH tour and near the end and could see how much they had grown and knew it would be crazy getting tickets for their next tour. When they came back for the X&Y tour it was just crazy insanity!

Based on venue size I would say during Viva. They didn't start playing the really huge venues until Viva.

They became pretty big when they released Yellow.

They became huge when they released the AROBTTH singles.

They became MASSIVE with X&Y.

They hit the point of no-return-massive-one-of-the-biggest-bands-ever with VLV.

And now they just enjoy it :nice:

:laugh3:

Last point made me giggle

:nod: :nod:

+ they became the biggest live act with mx tour

I think VLV was when they became massive. As for them being the biggest band i the world I think yes. I mean, there are other great bands, but I feel like Coldplay actually have the power to turn the music world upside down. Everyone pits them against U2 for biggest band but I think Coldplay sort of took over with VLV. Just my opinion. U2 are already part of Rock history. Coldplay still have things to prove which I think makes them the biggest band out there. They're still growing and can still change the industry. So yeah. They're the biggest IMO:)

Coldplay is a Circus for people not listen the music, is more important commercial band and not need real musicians band is not big band. and not very many things are spontaneous because programmed as circus now .

just listen Noel Gallagher but this is more about the future king of England this song

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUfkX4NQcrA]Coldplay - Bucket For a Crown - YouTube[/ame]

perhaps this session :

http://www.rts.ch/video/info/journal-continu/4120489-interview-integrale-de-noel-gallagher-a-montreux.html

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=017MuGCZyfo]Noel Gallagher's Live HFB @ Montreux Jazz Festival 12 - YouTube[/ame]

I think VLV was when they became massive. As for them being the biggest band i the world I think yes. I mean, there are other great bands, but I feel like Coldplay actually have the power to turn the music world upside down. Everyone pits them against U2 for biggest band but I think Coldplay sort of took over with VLV. Just my opinion. U2 are already part of Rock history. Coldplay still have things to prove which I think makes them the biggest band out there. They're still growing and can still change the industry. So yeah. They're the biggest IMO:)

^Agree

OK, I'll take a shot at this:

I think Coldplay became "big" when AROBTTH was released and it was a vast turnaround from Parachutes. I think if they had stuck to nice, quiet, moody songs like those on Parachutes they would have gotten some kudos, but then would fly under the radar, like a lot of groups do. It helps that at that time the world realized that hey, we have four talented, charming blokes here! They can do charming, witty interviews, come across like guys you want to know (ala early Beatles). Of course, Chris marries a movie star and all of a sudden people are more interested in who he is and who his band is.

Then they got flak for X&Y, but they did try something different--rock star music.

Then they put out Viva, which is going in another new direction, they work with Brian Eno, they challenge themselves, they dress the part of a successful, smart band.

So, for me, they are big with AROBTTH and massive with Viva la Vida.