🌙 COLDPLAY ANNOUNCE MOON MUSIC OUT OCTOBER 4TH 🎵

EMI Music Licensing Rights ?

DBMC

Hello Coldplayers. :cool:

I recently made a video tribute using "Fix You" that I'll be posting on here sometime soon. YouTube has blocked my video in some countries though based on the usage of the song. This was done despite me crediting Coldplay and EMI while mentioning that I'm not claiming the song as my own property - even though the MP3 file that I used is one that I purchased from Amazon.com.

There are countless videos all over YouTube with popular music that is used so does anyone here have any ideas as to how I can make the video available in all countries? Someone in the YouTube Help Center said that the only way to do this would be to pay for a relatively expensive licensing fee from EMI itself. :thinking:

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

MP3 songs get banned all the time, I'm afraid if Youtube bans it or says it's copyrighted material or it uses 3rd party content then you can't really argue.

Unless you have a payed account they won't listen.

Best bet is to distort the song somehow or sing over it or add an extra beat otherwise it's just Coldplays song and it's copywrite by EMI

So far [knock on wood] it hasn't been banned or removed and I've had it on YouTube for a little over a month. They've given me the option to appeal but I'm not going to do that just yet because it states that if I lose the appeal, I could either have my video littered with ads or removed altogether along with a copyright strike against my account.

Do you think I'll put my video and/or my account at risk if I contact EMI directly or should I just consider myself lucky and leave it as is?

Might be worth having adverts if it means allowing it to stay.

If you think about it, I'm actually doing Coldplay and EMI a favor by giving them some free advertising. Not that they need it, per se, but in the "About" section of the video YouTube included its links to buy the single on iTunes and AmazonMP3. It currently has about 9,000 views and there are more than a few people who had never heard the song before (imagine that) who told me they planned on buying it.

That might factor into why no additional action was taken against my account or the video. I'll post it on here a little bit later on today when I'm done with work.

Thanks for the feedback!

Guest LiquidSky

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjWf2rB0lWI]Tutorial : Unblock Blocked Youtube Video 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

It should still be able to work

If you think about it, I'm actually doing Coldplay and EMI a favor by giving them some free advertising. Not that they need it, per se, but in the "About" section of the video YouTube included its links to buy the single on iTunes and AmazonMP3. It currently has about 9,000 views and there are more than a few people who had never heard the song before (imagine that) who told me they planned on buying it.

That might factor into why no additional action was taken against my account or the video. I'll post it on here a little bit later on today when I'm done with work.

Thanks for the feedback!

it's still illegal to upload the song when you don't own the rights

the blocking in some countries is just an automatic thing, so if you do really want to get around that you could pitch the song up slightly or distort it or whatever but it wouldn't really be worth it. I think you'll be fine for now though, EMI will probably only completely block it if you start making money off of it

COPYRIGHT LAW IS A FUCKED UP THING

Yeah it is. I didn't monetize the video and wouldn't have under any circumstances anyways because I don't believe it's right that anyone should be profiting from a tragedy. I made this video tribute strictly for the families and victims but didn't realize that using a popular song would result in any kind of copyright notice as it was uploaded from my own MP3 that I purchased.

Fortunately, I didn't receive a copyright strike against my YouTube account but it's still disappointing to have it blocked in some countries when there are millions (billions?) of videos on YouTube that are choreographed with popular music. I doubt they all have licenses with the record label who owns the right to the song. :rolleyes:

Perhaps it got tagged by YouTube bots. I successfully argued against a case on YouTube for using English film footage... so then a claim was filed for using the French film footage, even though I had none of the audio. :rolleyes:

Anyway. There are ways to contest these. If your tribute managed to give the song new meaning or used the content in a different creative way, plus the fact that it's not a monetized video, it should go under something like fair use.

If you dispute the case, the company has 1-2 months to respond (I forget how long exactly).

I argued about six of these at the same time, and the companies never responded so the blocks were removed.

Fair use was my primary argument when I disputed the initial claim. Unfortunately, that claim was denied. I do have the option to appeal that decision but there are some pretty harsh penalties in the event that it's denied, including removal of the video and a copyright strike against my YouTube account.

I might contact EMI directly or at least try to find out which countries it's blocked in. Under the fair use clause, there is a very specific provision for memorial videos as well as what you stated in regards to using the content in a meaningful and different way.