✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange #16 [Mixtapes due 25/11]

Cyan Kat

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright. Here’s my review for my tape.

My tape is titled “Bricolage.” I had never heard of the word before this, so I looked it up to see what it meant, if anything. It turns out that bricolage "is the construction or creation of a work from a diverse range of things that happen to be available, or a work created by such a process." (This definition has been brought to you by Wikipedia.) I already like the concept based on the title. I’m really intrigued by it.

The album art for the tape is of a classroom photo taken from the early 1960s. I’m not quite sure how this relates to the title, but I’m sure there’s a reason for it.

This album has 21 tracks on it. I highly approve of this, as this means that I have more potential artists to discover. Also, I just love music, and lots of it. Thanks for making this a sizeable tape. :wacky:

1. “Hey, what about me? Can I have a playdate?” This sounds like a radio or TV changing. HAHA, I hear the “Saved by the Bell” theme song. Nice. There’s some cute whistling towards the end. This is just a collage of audio clips. “This is Cartoon Network.” This is an interesting intro. I wonder how this relates to the rest of the tape.

2. This song starts with a fade-in of drums. “Pushing through the market square, so many mothers dying. You should just come over. We have five years left of crying.” The singer reminds me slightly of Damon Albarn, although Damon Albarn isn’t that shouty, as far as I know. I like the old school feel to the song; is it an older song? I like the use of piano, and the string line is really lovely, too. Some of the singing is more like speak-singing a la Lou Reed, which normally wouldn’t appeal to me, but for some reason, I feel like it fits in with the whole essence of this song. I have the feeling this song is called “Five Years” based on the chorus. Towards the end, particularly in the last chorus, the vocals remind me a LOT of Johnny Rotten from Sex Pistols. It was kinda annoying. I only felt that way about the end, though. Generally, the vocals didn’t bother me that much. The background music is really pretty, and I think that helped take the edge of the vocals.

3. This starts with guitar with some effect on it to make it sound slightly twangy. Now there’s some whistling that accompanies the entrance of the bass line. Oh no, this singer… :wreck: The vocals are growly in a way that really doesn’t appeal to me. I can’t understand half of what he’s saying; he’s slurring his words. I could at least guess, however, that the singer is British. My favorite bit would be the instrumental break, particularly the saxophones. Yeah, the saxophone section is definitely my favorite. The song is about a guy named Jimmy… Giles? It’s something like that. Like I said, I can’t understand this guy very well. I’m not really a fan of this. I’m sorry. :\

4. OH DUDE. Is this the Beach Boys? It sounds an awful lot like them. Actually, thinking about it, the vocals don’t sound like Brian Wilson or any of them. Maybe this is some surf rock band from now that is influenced by The Beach Boys. I definitely get that ‘60s beach rock vibe, though. “A brand new love affair is such a beautiful thing.” I like it. It reminds me a lot of the music I listened to in the car with my mother growing up. The vocal harmonies are nice. I like the organ in the instrumental break, too. I hear that nice bass trombone at the end before the fadeout, too. This is a good song. I dig it. :thumbsup:

5. This has strumming guitar in the beginning. It sounds like a British rock band song. That’s good, as this is a type of music I really like. I’m particularly fond of this singer. I’m not really sure why. Perhaps it’s something about his tone. I appreciate that, from my view, he’s singing in a range that really suits him; he doesn’t sound like he has to try really hard to sing his part. The guitar parts are really catchy, too, which helps. This one is probably my favorite so far.

6. This starts with guitar and harmonious “Ah-ahhhhhs” from some background singers. It’s a simple song with a sort of folk/alternative country vibe. Wait, are there no main vocals in this song? It’s been over a minute now. I guess not. I think some vocals with some earnest lyrics would really enhance this song. It’s a harmless enough instrumental track, though. It builds up in a way that keeps the listening experience interesting. I like it when the synthetic brass (?) enters a little before the halfway mark. OH LOOK, here are vocals. It only took you about three minutes to enter. While I still think what I said about the vocals is true, I think this singer fits in OK. I kinda wish he’d sing something a little bit more than the “Daiiii-deh-daaaaaiiiii” I caught at the end, though. The ending was a bit abrupt and weird. It sounds like it was cut off on accident. This is an alright song.

7. This song starts with percussion; it sounds like a rain stick or a shaker or something. Then, cue the bass line and bass drum. This is another piece with piano. I love the high line on the piano; it’s really cute. The vocalist sounds like a mix between Nick Cave and Tom Smith from Editors. It’s sort of a dark sounding song sonically, but I think that’s what really draws me in. With the bass line and piano working together, the song sounds almost seductive, in a sinister sort of way. “Cry like a child, though these years make me older. With children, my time is so wastefully spent.” This is a very intriguing track. I really, really like it.

8. It’s another one of those songs like the first track. This one has a bit more static, though. AHA, I caught the Michael Jackson bass line. Very nice. Can I just groove to this MJ song for a while? OH BOO, it changed it. :snobby: Oh well.

9. This is an interesting sort of…electronic song? No, there’s rap in this. Is this Madvillain? It sounds like him. I’ve heard maybe two songs by him (one being “Meat Grinder”), but I don’t know much about him other than that. I think I like this one better than “Meat Grinder.” The piano line is quite catchy.

10. Oh look, more rap. “Something sinister to it, pendulum swingin’ slow and degenerate movin’…” I feel like I’ve heard this rapper, too; his voice sounds familiar. It sounds like this song is a story about his life. He talks about not having his father around and other such unfortunate things. “Too black for the white kids, and too white for the blacks...” Awww, sad. :sad: The guy has a nice flow, though. I don’t know as much about rap as I’d like, but I could definitely listen to more rap like this. Please, tell me more.

11. “We got the jaaaaazz, we got the jazz.” Wow, this is the third rap song in the row. You must really like it. I also imagine you saw the lack of rap in my own library. This is a different sort of rap song from the second one; while the previous track was something I could really pay attention to the lyrics and reflect on it, this one is more like something I would groove to when I was in a mood to relax. I can’t help but bob my head as I listen to this. I think it’s the whole jazz aspect to this that helps make it feel so relaxing, sort of in that same way that Massive Attack uses certain things to help make their music seem so chill. I also think the rapper’s voice is naturally very mellow, which helps. I really like this, too.

12. “COME ON!” “Watch ya back, *****s!” Oh boy, here we go. These guys sound like they’re trying to sing at a karaoke bar or something, haha. It’s sort of endearing, though. I think I just caught a line about someone drinking Drano; is that right? There’s a nice brass section on this song, and I like the walking bass. This song is kinda cute, in a weird sort of way. It ends with the line, “This villain was a ruthless mass conqueror with aspirations to dominate the universe.” It’s sort of weird, given how the rest of the song went, but maybe it’s one of those tracks that segue into the next track of the album from which this is actually on. :shrug:

13. It’s another radio track. I think I understand now that Tracks 1 and 8, as well as this one, serve as transitions into different moods of the tape. The first section was rock, and the second transition was into hip hop and rap. I’m trying to see what to expect from this one, but I wasn’t expecting rap based on Michael Jackson, so maybe I’ll just wait it out and see. “Hello. My name is Juan. I play trumpet for the Mariachi Doritos.” I’m so terrified now, hahahahaha.

14. Oh hello, guitars. It’s nice to hear from you again. Oh look, it’s a group of people singing in pretty harmonies! It’s like you know I love this sort of thing. :D I’m really enjoying this already. This is a really homey sounding track. Oh wow, it just exploded into big, bold sounds. The vibe of this song fits perfectly into my life right now, as it sounds very joyous, and since the birth of my niece Monday afternoon, my heart has been filled with nothing but joy. It adds to the feelings I have and enhances them. You of course didn’t know anything about my niece when you made this for me, but I have to say, your timing with this was perfect. Thank you so very much. :heart:

15. Ahhhhh! It’s “The Forest Awakes” by David Byrne & St. Vincent. I love love love this album. It put it at the top of my 2012 Albums of the Year list. It’s still an album I listen to regularly. Cool addition. Thanks for throwing it in. :nice:

16. There’s a woman whispering at the beginning of this track. I think I caught something about something or someone chasing after her. I like the build-up with the brass. This singer, like Annie Clark from the previous song, is a woman, and I like her clear tone. It sounds very sweet, which is a great contrast to the darker nature of this song. I feel like if a music video were made for this song, it would involve ghosts or vampires or something similar to that. I imagine a girl being chased through a large house by this thing, with her getting caught at the end. I really like this song either way.

17. It starts with synths and a simple drum beat on a drum set, followed by an entrance of guitar and bass. “You’re the color. You’re the movement and the spin.” This singer sounds cute. He reminds me of Ben Gibbard from Death Cab for Cutie. The violin added in later adds a nice color to the song. “You’re not in this movie. You’re not in this song.” This song is all sorts of pretty and cute and all that. I like the break with the piano and the bongo drums. “Leave me paralyzed, love. Leave me hypnotized, love.” Awww. This is a really nice song. I like it a lot. Thank you. :nice:

18. It starts with claves and a beeping noise, sort of like one of those heart monitor machines in a hospital. That’s appropriate, given that the singer is singing about stuff like bandages and broken jaws. “There’s bourbon on the breath of the singer you like so much. He takes all his words from the books you don’t read, anyway.” These lyrics really struck me. It’s kinda ironic, too, given that I think this singer sounds raspy in a way that a smoker might sound, if only slightly so. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, though. If rasp is executed properly, it can work quite well. I wouldn’t say his vocals are the best as far as that goes, but I’ve definitely heard much worse. (Tom Waits comes to mind. EW GROSS. :sick: ) I do have to say that the ending to this song was a bit odd, and I don’t understand how it fits in with the rest of the song. Generally, the song was pretty alright. Like I said, I particularly like the lyrics.

19. It starts with explosions of strumming guitar and a strong singer that sounds like he has a Scottish accent. I could be wrong about that, though. Either way, he reminds me a bit of Scott Hutchison from Frightened Rabbit. In fact, if Frightened Rabbit decided to go in that direction, I could easily imagine them performing this song. This is a nice contrast to the previous song. It’s very upbeat and heavy on the guitars. “Oh oh oh oh oh-oh oh ohhh!” This is the song that sounds most like it has punk influences. I could be wrong about that, too. It’s just the style of the vocals and the guitar makes me think of punk. Thankfully, it’s only influences; punk vocals typically annoy me. It’s a nice song to have towards the end of the tape; it’s very energetic, which makes me feel energetic. :dance:

20. Oh, one more radio station change track? But it’s the penultimate track. At least it talks about Doritos? Heh.

21. This song starts with clapping and later leads into, oddly enough, a horse neighing. O.O There’s something about Dexter being criminally insane in there. This last song sounds like a conglomeration of a bunch of audio clips…which actually is really great, given the name of this tape is “Bricolage,” and this fits that definition. I understand why you ended the tape with this now; it ties everything together. The different samples are tied in really nicely, too. I heard All Songs Considered talk once about a guy who did that, and I’m thinking this is who that is, but I can’t remember his name for the life of me. Speaking of tying things together, I’ve just realized that there’s a bit in there that also came from the very first track, which really adds a nice touch. This is actually really cool, especially for a closer.

Overall, I thought this was a lovely tape. I love the whole idea of the bricolage, and I really like how you split the different genres and vibes into different sections to make it seem even more like a mish-mash of things. I’m glad that I got exposed to several different types of music throughout the same listening experience. The theme is really well thought-out. I also really appreciate how you decided to find things both in my comfort zone and outside of that. I liked the rap section a lot more than I thought I would. Thank you for taking the time to make this lovely tape for me. :hug: I can’t wait to see what all you have to say. :smiley:

Finally giving my review on my mixtape. Been trying to compose something on it, having so much school going on. Well, I hope you're seeing this Mr. mixtaper.

Mixtape Thoughts:

Thanks on the name compliment. As for the world events representing the album cover, I never thought the situation in Korea was like another Cuba Missile Crisis. Thinking on it, it could have been. Anyways, aside from nuclear explosions, this mixtape felt a bit more than just the simple representation of 2013's "best" pop and alternative rock. It felt like the story of a musical trip between Earth and space. Or at least I felt like I was somewhere else besides where I was. I give props for good song choices and cohesiveness. It catches my attention, though I would have liked a more gritty sound overall. Generally, to be honest, not much of it was memorable to me for the exception of a good bunch on here, but maybe finding out who the artists are might shed light on what I was listening to.

The Mixtape:

01/02

A fun piano rock song about doing the wrong or doing the right. A good intro I guess, though it worried me that maybe a lot of the songs on here would be clean sounding songs with piano, clean sounding beats, and vocals perfect for the radio. It was not hard to enjoy it, but it was easy to forget about it. I wonder who this artist is... (found out later it was OneRepublic and their album Native)

I strings in the beginning were absolutely gorgeous. The tune was familiar to me, though I could not remember. The use of a twelve tone rhythm is very evident, along with the gloomy pop sound, so this felt more contagious to me. I'm more interested in this song the intro. I liked how jazzy it was.

Sigur Rós. Ísjaki. Need I say more?

I admired the sudden change of sound with the medieval tones, and it was catchy like many of the songs on here so far. I keep hearing of "we could have been so much better" and stars and the horizon and watching the sky... Lots of comparisons of human emotions and the sky's day and night cycle. This was favorable enough. I am inclined to know who it is.

I am saying with 90% certainty that this is David Bowie and song some on his latest album The Next Day. If it is, I will say that I admire his work, and I think I liked his Heathen album among many. As for this song, I liked the change in style in the mixtape. The strings and the guitar creating an atmosphere of nostalgia, of the need for reflection, was everything I liked about this song. So far, I like that this mixtape isn't too static.

07/08

I was intrigued by the dark gloomy beginning of track 07 transitioning to yet another accessible song. This time, I like the way it builds up instead of going right away for the big grandeur that it wants to aim for. A song aimed to inspire on themes of the city and how dreams compare to such big towns and the everyday routines that happen within them. Would like the know the artist.

09/10

Ambiance. Felt like something Jon Hopkins would put up on track 09. This is my favorite on the mixtape, at least the tenderness the beginning holds for this song's intro. Though it's obvious the lyrics are a bit corny and something that doesn't need much thought, this song at least had a nice hook to remember to and I can be a sucker for big atmospheric songs that sound a bit like Christmas. This was not off the mark of that.

This was the most interesting of the mixtape for me. I didn't expect a song that just previewed a bunch of songs like a DDR machine, so it was more the fun to listen for something familiar to me from this year's music. Of course, the first to come up was Eminem's Berzerk. I was able to catch Gaga's Venus, an Imagine Dragons song, a song from Arcade Fire's Reflektor, Atlas, some Katy Perry, Sigur Rós again, Daft Punk's Lucky, Eminem's Monster, and a David Bowie song. Wish I could have guessed more. (A song about a computer thinking you're gay?) :lol:

12/13

Arcade Fire. Afterlife. A favorite from the album along with Joan of Arc. The ending though feels like everything is being sucked into a vortex :tongue:. I liked the 13th track. I like simple songs, a piano and some ambient background to it. This was what made me feel like going to space or at least going away into the "afterlife" as I should put it. I liked the static at the end, feels like a record was playing.

Overall Feelings:

There was enough to keep my attention, I'd definitely want to know the artists and such. It was a solid listening with not so good songs and some memorable songs. In the end, I would listen to at least 2/3 of the songs. I'm sure this isn't the best review or writing I've ever done, but I can't leave you wondering whether you did your job to get me to like it. You did for the most part, though I'm not the biggest fan of accessible pop and alternative rock. :D

Have a good holidays. :santa:

Hi Violet! Yes, I guess I'm your eternal mixtape partner. :laugh3: I'll put my comments in red.

Alright. Here’s my review for my tape.

My tape is titled “Bricolage.” I had never heard of the word before this, so I looked it up to see what it meant, if anything. It turns out that bricolage "is the construction or creation of a work from a diverse range of things that happen to be available, or a work created by such a process." (This definition has been brought to you by Wikipedia.) I already like the concept based on the title. I’m really intrigued by it.

This year I started taking sociology lessons in my school. To be honest, I HATE that subject. It's just brainwashing with lots and lots of definitions. There are definitions for, like, everything. They usually don't make sense, but there was the definition of bricolage too. I liked the concept of it, and decided to interpret it for this mixtape. Since we had (not really) to have a theme for the mixtape this time, I decided to explore a variety of musical themes, in form of "a person listening to a radio, switching stations and finding a song they like the most".

The album art for the tape is of a classroom photo taken from the early 1960s. I’m not quite sure how this relates to the title, but I’m sure there’s a reason for it.

For some reason I liked that photo. I don't know why. I was looking at pictures of classes, trying to find a picture of a class consisting of different cultures (cultural bricolage), but then I ended up with this one. I liked how everyone is dressed differently in that photo, in all kinds of colours.

This album has 21 tracks on it. I highly approve of this, as this means that I have more potential artists to discover. Also, I just love music, and lots of it. Thanks for making this a sizeable tape. :wacky:

This is the longest mixtape I ever made. Usually I stick to the traditional album form, with 10-13 songs. Last time I made you a mixtape, you said that you wished it had more songs, so there you have it :p

1. “Hey, what about me? Can I have a playdate?” This sounds like a radio or TV changing. HAHA, I hear the “Saved by the Bell” theme song. Nice. There’s some cute whistling towards the end. This is just a collage of audio clips. “This is Cartoon Network.” This is an interesting intro. I wonder how this relates to the rest of the tape.

Just a little audacity mish-mash of random YouTube clips. Ads on random radio station before the listener settles on the 60s-80s rock one. I also added a snippet of My Way of Life by Enoch Light Singers which is more known as the (sampled) hook of The Avalanches' 'Frontier Psychiatrist'. That song was the key song of this mixtape and therefore is also the last track on here.

2. This song starts with a fade-in of drums. “Pushing through the market square, so many mothers dying. You should just come over. We have five years left of crying.” The singer reminds me slightly of Damon Albarn, although Damon Albarn isn’t that shouty, as far as I know. I like the old school feel to the song; is it an older song? I like the use of piano, and the string line is really lovely, too. Some of the singing is more like speak-singing a la Lou Reed, which normally wouldn’t appeal to me, but for some reason, I feel like it fits in with the whole essence of this song. I have the feeling this song is called “Five Years” based on the chorus. Towards the end, particularly in the last chorus, the vocals remind me a LOT of Johnny Rotten from Sex Pistols. It was kinda annoying. I only felt that way about the end, though. Generally, the vocals didn’t bother me that much. The background music is really pretty, and I think that helped take the edge of the vocals.

Yes, it's called Five Years and it's the opening track of David Bowie's legendary The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (1972). And yup, that's how his most famous album is called.

3. This starts with guitar with some effect on it to make it sound slightly twangy. Now there’s some whistling that accompanies the entrance of the bass line. Oh no, this singer… :wreck: The vocals are growly in a way that really doesn’t appeal to me. I can’t understand half of what he’s saying; he’s slurring his words. I could at least guess, however, that the singer is British. My favorite bit would be the instrumental break, particularly the saxophones. Yeah, the saxophone section is definitely my favorite. The song is about a guy named Jimmy… Giles? It’s something like that. Like I said, I can’t understand this guy very well. I’m not really a fan of this. I’m sorry. :\

Aw, I love his vocals. His name is Joe Strummer, lead singer of The Clash. This is a song from their 1979 album, London Calling. It's called Jimmy... Jazz. Was it really that hard to tell it was Jazz and not... Giles? :laugh3:

4. OH DUDE. Is this the Beach Boys? It sounds an awful lot like them. Actually, thinking about it, the vocals don’t sound like Brian Wilson or any of them. Maybe this is some surf rock band from now that is influenced by The Beach Boys. I definitely get that ‘60s beach rock vibe, though. “A brand new love affair is such a beautiful thing.” I like it. It reminds me a lot of the music I listened to in the car with my mother growing up. The vocal harmonies are nice. I like the organ in the instrumental break, too. I hear that nice bass trombone at the end before the fadeout, too. This is a good song. I dig it. :thumbsup:

No surf rock band from now that is influenced by The Beach Boys can beat The Beach Boys themselves. At their best. 1966. Pet Sounds. A stellar album including a song called Here Today. Which is this song right here now.

5. This has strumming guitar in the beginning. It sounds like a British rock band song. That’s good, as this is a type of music I really like. I’m particularly fond of this singer. I’m not really sure why. Perhaps it’s something about his tone. I appreciate that, from my view, he’s singing in a range that really suits him; he doesn’t sound like he has to try really hard to sing his part. The guitar parts are really catchy, too, which helps. This one is probably my favorite so far.

Oh yes, yes, he has one of the most iconic voices in the music industry ever. It's Morissey's band The Smiths playing Bigmouth Strikes Again from their 1986 album The Queen is Dead.

6. This starts with guitar and harmonious “Ah-ahhhhhs” from some background singers. It’s a simple song with a sort of folk/alternative country vibe. Wait, are there no main vocals in this song? It’s been over a minute now. I guess not. I think some vocals with some earnest lyrics would really enhance this song. It’s a harmless enough instrumental track, though. It builds up in a way that keeps the listening experience interesting. I like it when the synthetic brass (?) enters a little before the halfway mark. OH LOOK, here are vocals. It only took you about three minutes to enter. While I still think what I said about the vocals is true, I think this singer fits in OK. I kinda wish he’d sing something a little bit more than the “Daiiii-deh-daaaaaiiiii” I caught at the end, though. The ending was a bit abrupt and weird. It sounds like it was cut off on accident. This is an alright song.

Remember the very first mixtape I made for you? It included Brian Eno's Here Come The Warm Jets as its closer, and you HATED it. :sad: Well over the course of the next mixtapes I made you, I learnt that you really like piano. So why not put a piano song by Brian Eno here? This is On Some Faraway Beach, from 1974's Here Come the Warm Jets :P

7. This song starts with percussion; it sounds like a rain stick or a shaker or something. Then, cue the bass line and bass drum. This is another piece with piano. I love the high line on the piano; it’s really cute. The vocalist sounds like a mix between Nick Cave and Tom Smith from Editors. It’s sort of a dark sounding song sonically, but I think that’s what really draws me in. With the bass line and piano working together, the song sounds almost seductive, in a sinister sort of way. “Cry like a child, though these years make me older. With children, my time is so wastefully spent.” This is a very intriguing track. I really, really like it.

Ian Curtis' lyrics are some of my favourite. He was the lead singer of Joy Division. I read his biography this summer and it's really inspiring. It's sad that he committed a suicide. There was this one Valentine's day poem in the book, which he wrote for his wife, Deborah (who wrote his biography after his death): http://chrisreinhard.com/post/57276033/i-wish-i-were-a-warhol-silk-screen-hanging-on-the. I really love how it's so small, but powerful. This song is Joy Division's The Eternal, from their second and final album Closer, released in 1980.

8. It’s another one of those songs like the first track. This one has a bit more static, though. AHA, I caught the Michael Jackson bass line. Very nice. Can I just groove to this MJ song for a while? OH BOO, it changed it. :snobby: Oh well.

Yeah, second of the radio-changing interludes I made in audacity. This one features snippets of tracks 3, 19, and Michael Jackson's Pepsi Generation. Which is a reworked version of Billie Jean, used as a Pepsi commercial.

9. This is an interesting sort of…electronic song? No, there’s rap in this. Is this Madvillain? It sounds like him. I’ve heard maybe two songs by him (one being “Meat Grinder”), but I don’t know much about him other than that. I think I like this one better than “Meat Grinder.” The piano line is quite catchy.

Yup, Madvillain. Eddie was trying to get into rap, by my request, and I happened to really like Madvillain. This one's called All Caps. And yes, the first song of the second radio station, a rap one.

10. Oh look, more rap. “Something sinister to it, pendulum swingin’ slow and degenerate movin’…” I feel like I’ve heard this rapper, too; his voice sounds familiar. It sounds like this song is a story about his life. He talks about not having his father around and other such unfortunate things. “Too black for the white kids, and too white for the blacks...” Awww, sad. :sad: The guy has a nice flow, though. I don’t know as much about rap as I’d like, but I could definitely listen to more rap like this. Please, tell me more.

Earl Sweatshirt's Chum. He's a member of Odd Future too, and I saw on your profile that you hated them :P His solo album Doris , released this year, is really nice though.

11. “We got the jaaaaazz, we got the jazz.” Wow, this is the third rap song in the row. You must really like it. I also imagine you saw the lack of rap in my own library. This is a different sort of rap song from the second one; while the previous track was something I could really pay attention to the lyrics and reflect on it, this one is more like something I would groove to when I was in a mood to relax. I can’t help but bob my head as I listen to this. I think it’s the whole jazz aspect to this that helps make it feel so relaxing, sort of in that same way that Massive Attack uses certain things to help make their music seem so chill. I also think the rapper’s voice is naturally very mellow, which helps. I really like this, too.

Eddie told me to listen to this album called The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest too... It think it changed my opinion of rap/hip-hop. This is obviously called Jazz (We've Got).

12. “COME ON!” “Watch ya back, *****s!” Oh boy, here we go. These guys sound like they’re trying to sing at a karaoke bar or something, haha. It’s sort of endearing, though. I think I just caught a line about someone drinking Drano; is that right? There’s a nice brass section on this song, and I like the walking bass. This song is kinda cute, in a weird sort of way. It ends with the line, “This villain was a ruthless mass conqueror with aspirations to dominate the universe.” It’s sort of weird, given how the rest of the song went, but maybe it’s one of those tracks that segue into the next track of the album from which this is actually on. :shrug:

Another Madvillain song. His whole album works as a whole, so I see why you're saying that. :p

13. It’s another radio track. I think I understand now that Tracks 1 and 8, as well as this one, serve as transitions into different moods of the tape. The first section was rock, and the second transition was into hip hop and rap. I’m trying to see what to expect from this one, but I wasn’t expecting rap based on Michael Jackson, so maybe I’ll just wait it out and see. “Hello. My name is Juan. I play trumpet for the Mariachi Doritos.” I’m so terrified now, hahahahaha.

This radio-changing-track features a snippet of The Roots' The Seed, which would be the fifth rap song on your mixtape, but then it would be too long. So here's an extra song for ya:

There's also a snippet of a Mariachi Doritos video from YouTube. Juan that you met here plays the trumpet in the following, trumpet based (okay not all of them are), modern folk/indie rock song. Also - you may notice that the bit that Juan plays here sounds a bit like a horse neighing - a reference to the final track. :D

14. Oh hello, guitars. It’s nice to hear from you again. Oh look, it’s a group of people singing in pretty harmonies! It’s like you know I love this sort of thing. :D I’m really enjoying this already. This is a really homey sounding track. Oh wow, it just exploded into big, bold sounds. The vibe of this song fits perfectly into my life right now, as it sounds very joyous, and since the birth of my niece Monday afternoon, my heart has been filled with nothing but joy. It adds to the feelings I have and enhances them. You of course didn’t know anything about my niece when you made this for me, but I have to say, your timing with this was perfect. Thank you so very much. :heart:

Aw, congrats on getting a niece! I'm so glad that you liked this. You like one of his other songs too actually. :P This is Phosphorescent, whose Song for Zula I also put on your last mixtape. This one's called A Charm/A Blade.

15. Ahhhhh! It’s “The Forest Awakes” by David Byrne & St. Vincent. I love love love this album. It put it at the top of my 2012 Albums of the Year list. It’s still an album I listen to regularly. Cool addition. Thanks for throwing it in. :nice:

A friend told me to put this here. I was pretty sure that you would recognize it, but decided to keep it here anyway.

16. There’s a woman whispering at the beginning of this track. I think I caught something about something or someone chasing after her. I like the build-up with the brass. This singer, like Annie Clark from the previous song, is a woman, and I like her clear tone. It sounds very sweet, which is a great contrast to the darker nature of this song. I feel like if a music video were made for this song, it would involve ghosts or vampires or something similar to that. I imagine a girl being chased through a large house by this thing, with her getting caught at the end. I really like this song either way.

You were actually pretty close :stunned:

Julia Holter's Horns Surrounding Me. Her new album, Loud City Song, is worth taking a listen.

17. It starts with synths and a simple drum beat on a drum set, followed by an entrance of guitar and bass. “You’re the color. You’re the movement and the spin.” This singer sounds cute. He reminds me of Ben Gibbard from Death Cab for Cutie. The violin added in later adds a nice color to the song. “You’re not in this movie. You’re not in this song.” This song is all sorts of pretty and cute and all that. I like the break with the piano and the bongo drums. “Leave me paralyzed, love. Leave me hypnotized, love.” Awww. This is a really nice song. I like it a lot. Thank you. :nice:

Aw, this was the first song that I decided to put on my third (fourth?) tape for you. It's so cute and I wanted you to hear it. This is a German band The Notwist with Consequence.

18. It starts with claves and a beeping noise, sort of like one of those heart monitor machines in a hospital. That’s appropriate, given that the singer is singing about stuff like bandages and broken jaws. “There’s bourbon on the breath of the singer you like so much. He takes all his words from the books you don’t read, anyway.” These lyrics really struck me. It’s kinda ironic, too, given that I think this singer sounds raspy in a way that a smoker might sound, if only slightly so. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, though. If rasp is executed properly, it can work quite well. I wouldn’t say his vocals are the best as far as that goes, but I’ve definitely heard much worse. (Tom Waits comes to mind. EW GROSS. :sick: ) I do have to say that the ending to this song was a bit odd, and I don’t understand how it fits in with the rest of the song. Generally, the song was pretty alright. Like I said, I particularly like the lyrics.

TOM WAITS HAS A GREAT VOICE OK. This guy's are way better though haha. I was surprised that you haven't listened to Wilco before. This is Poor Places, taken from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. The whole song turns into pure noise in the end - perfect intro for the next track.

19. It starts with explosions of strumming guitar and a strong singer that sounds like he has a Scottish accent. I could be wrong about that, though. Either way, he reminds me a bit of Scott Hutchison from Frightened Rabbit. In fact, if Frightened Rabbit decided to go in that direction, I could easily imagine them performing this song. This is a nice contrast to the previous song. It’s very upbeat and heavy on the guitars. “Oh oh oh oh oh-oh oh ohhh!” This is the song that sounds most like it has punk influences. I could be wrong about that, too. It’s just the style of the vocals and the guitar makes me think of punk. Thankfully, it’s only influences; punk vocals typically annoy me. It’s a nice song to have towards the end of the tape; it’s very energetic, which makes me feel energetic. :dance:

OH HEY YOU LIKE THIS :cheesy: I risked and put this here. A powerful noise rock song - I see it as the culmination of this tape. This is Japandroids' The House that Heaven Built.

20. Oh, one more radio station change track? But it’s the penultimate track. At least it talks about Doritos? Heh.

Another dorito ad! :cool:

21. This song starts with clapping and later leads into, oddly enough, a horse neighing. O.O There’s something about Dexter being criminally insane in there. This last song sounds like a conglomeration of a bunch of audio clips…which actually is really great, given the name of this tape is “Bricolage,” and this fits that definition. I understand why you ended the tape with this now; it ties everything together. The different samples are tied in really nicely, too. I heard All Songs Considered talk once about a guy who did that, and I’m thinking this is who that is, but I can’t remember his name for the life of me. Speaking of tying things together, I’ve just realized that there’s a bit in there that also came from the very first track, which really adds a nice touch. This is actually really cool, especially for a closer.

There, everything said. This song could also be the definition of a bricolage concept in music. After all these radio stations with all kinds of music, random noise and TV/radio/song snippets collages, what was left?

The Avalanches! This is 'Frontier Psychiatrist'. It features a sample of My Way of Life by Enoch Light Singers, as I already said before.

Overall, I thought this was a lovely tape. I love the whole idea of the bricolage, and I really like how you split the different genres and vibes into different sections to make it seem even more like a mish-mash of things. I’m glad that I got exposed to several different types of music throughout the same listening experience. The theme is really well thought-out. I also really appreciate how you decided to find things both in my comfort zone and outside of that. I liked the rap section a lot more than I thought I would. Thank you for taking the time to make this lovely tape for me. :hug: I can’t wait to see what all you have to say. :smiley:

Thank you Violet, once again, for listening and reviewing. :heart:

Your taste is almost the same as mine, and I really had no idea what other thing I can make for you now. That's why I sent this tape one day late - sorry for that.

Here's the photo used as the cover:

Ballard%201962-63.jpg

And here's the tracklisting:

~Bricolage~

1. This is Cartoon Network (interlude)

2. Five Years - David Bowie

3. Jimmy Jazz - The Clash

4. Here Today - The Beach Boys

5. Bigmouth Strikes Again - The Smiths

6. On Some Faraway Beach - Brian Eno

7. The Eternal - Joy Division

8. Pepsi Generation (interlude)

9. All Caps - Madvillain

10. Chum - Earl Sweatshirt

11. Jazz (We've Got) - A Tribe Called Quest

12. Rainbows - Madvillain

13. Juan Plays the Trumpet (interlude)

14. A Charm / A Blade - Phosphorescent

15. The Forest Awakes - David Byrne & St. Vincent

16. Horns Surrounding Me - Julia Holter

17. Consequence - The Notwist

18. Poor Places - Wilco

19. The House that Heaven Built - Japandroids

20. Doritos (interlude)

21. 'Frontier Psychiatrist' - The Avalanches

Download link:

OH MY GOODNESS. FRAN. :heart: It sure seems we're building a history together, huh? We made tapes for each other during MTE 11, and I got you the second time during MTE 14. Never did I suspect I was going to get you a third time. Mixtape friends 4lyfe? I think so. :wacky:

Here's a quick collection of afterthoughts from when I saw the track list:

2. Ah, David Bowie. So I was right about it being an older song. I don't know why I didn't detect his voice. I thought I would've known from what little I know of him. I guess it takes more than just knowing a few songs to really get to know a person's voice.

4. Oh, it WAS The Beach Boys. OK, cool. That definitely fits with what I said about listening to the car radio with my mom. She always had it on the oldies station, and it played its fair share of Beach Boys singles. :nice:

5. Oh goodie, The Smiths! I've been meaning to look more into them. I definitely will now. I really do like Morrissey's voice quite a lot.

6. I DO remember hating that, hahaha. I think if I went back and listened to it, it might not be so bad. I've got "Small Craft on a Milk Sea" (because Jon Hopkins collaborates with him on that), and I think I'm slowly starting to come around to some of the stuff that's harder to get into. I did like this one quite a bit better, though.

7. OOOH. I've heard of Joy Division, but I don't think I've really heard them before. This served as a lovely introduction. Thank yooooou. :blush:

10. My profile says I hate Earl Sweatshirt? I know I did that with Tyler, the Creator (BLECH), but I didn't think I did that with Earl. I'll definitely have to change that on Tastebuds.

14. Phosphorescent again? Very nice! I'll definitely spend more time with the guy. I think I liked this even better than "Song for Zula." :D

18. I'm really surprised that's Wilco, to be honest. I've heard a few Wilco songs before, but Jeff Tweedy's vocals (That IS the singer's name, right?) have always been too hit-and-miss for me to really give them much attention. I think this is the most harmless Wilco song I've heard. Maybe I'll give Jeff (and the rest of Wilco) a second shot.

21. THE AVALANCHES. THAT WAS IT. I knew I'd heard of the song before.

Thank you SO SO much, Fran! You're the best. :hug:

Was very busy, but here's my review!

01 The first song starts off with synths! :) It sounds like this could be a soundtrack of some 80's series, hahaha. I have a weakness for 80's sound. :wacky: I especially like the bridge where guitars take over from the synths for a bit. I recognise the artist but not who they are. Seeing the tracklisting will probably make me say "of course. That's the one!"

02 This one starts with chiptune, then merging into a more dark tune, gothic rock-like. Ah, the lyrics come back at the chiptune! Hahahaha, I like this. I like the song as well, it reminds me of The Storm, well, of their good songs. I would like to hear more of this artist(s)

03 Guitars. Then the singing gets me confused. What language is this? An odd song. The music sounds straight forward but I think I find it odd because of the foreign language, or it must be the guy's voice :/

04 The very beginning of the song is so different from what the song will be like, I don't really know how to word it, like it's the start of another song. It makes the song interesting together with other things like some funky elements and the ending that's been messed with. Sounds like this could be Beck or something.

05 Another very synths based song, this time purely instrumental. Sounds again as if it could be a soundtrack of an 80's series. The melody with the synths sounds somewhat cheasy. And that sound, what is it, are those horses galloping? I imagine it belong to something, like a television show, and without it it sounds a bit lost. It fits in the mixtape, but I am not a fan of the song :/

06 The 80's again, yusss. This time some jazzy rock. I know this song. It's The Police with Demolition Man. Nice to listen to. Fits again well in the mixtape.

07 Nice following up song. Ah that voice! :D Talking heads, I love David Byrne. His voice is so ... typical David Byrne, hahaha. He sings so typical. Needless to say that I like this song :}

08 Green Day, I can be short about this. I don't like Green Day. Some songs of them I like, but most I can't stand :/ This song I don't like.

09 Starts off with drumming and guitars come in. Sounds like Yeah Yeah Yeah's; A Chick in a rock/punk band. This song makes me feel like their last album, it's okay but nothing special that I would like to listen more to.

10 The drumming and guitar make me think this is at least Jack White, because it sounds very much like White Stripes. Maybe it is White Stripes? I have never listened to much of this. I don't know why. I like the song though.

11 More rock. This sounds so familiar and yet I don't know which song it is, aaaaaaargh. Sounds like 90's, Nirvana, but it seems not alternative enough for it. I could be wrong though. The voice also sounds like Bruce Springsteen somehow, the music would fit him more too I think.

12 Ah yes! English, the voice and music sounds much like David Bowie. I don't know this song. It's nice, I want to hear more of this :}

Overall a nice journey through time with some 80's and 90's if I am not mistaken. The songs fit well together. Thank you very much for this mixtape!

Was very busy, but here's my review!

01 The first song starts off with synths! :) It sounds like this could be a soundtrack of some 80's series, hahaha. I have a weakness for 80's sound. :wacky: I especially like the bridge where guitars take over from the synths for a bit. I recognise the artist but not who they are. Seeing the tracklisting will probably make me say "of course. That's the one!"

"Subdivions" by Rush is the one for me. It's my favorite Rush song of all time, and I'm real glad you enjoyed this song!

02 This one starts with chiptune, then merging into a more dark tune, gothic rock-like. Ah, the lyrics come back at the chiptune! Hahahaha, I like this. I like the song as well, it reminds me of The Storm, well, of their good songs. I would like to hear more of this artist(s)

This is actually The Birthday Massacre. They're a really awesome band. :) The song is "Video Kid". This is just one of their many other songs that I purely just LOVE! <3

03 Guitars. Then the singing gets me confused. What language is this? An odd song. The music sounds straight forward but I think I find it odd because of the foreign language, or it must be the guy's voice :/

As I would've guessed. :P It's Asian Kung-Fu Generation, a Japanese indie band. And I don't blame you if you didn't enjoy it that much.

04 The very beginning of the song is so different from what the song will be like, I don't really know how to word it, like it's the start of another song. It makes the song interesting together with other things like some funky elements and the ending that's been messed with. Sounds like this could be Beck or something.

Yup! It sure is Beck! It's one of his more recent songs, "Earthquake Weather". (Although I should say it's not that recent. :P It was released on Guero, which was in 2005.)

05 Another very synths based song, this time purely instrumental. Sounds again as if it could be a soundtrack of an 80's series. The melody with the synths sounds somewhat cheasy. And that sound, what is it, are those horses galloping? I imagine it belong to something, like a television show, and without it it sounds a bit lost. It fits in the mixtape, but I am not a fan of the song :/

It's okay. :P I kinda had a feeling that this would be a miss on the mixtape. It's Yellow Magic Orchestra, an experimental group.

06 The 80's again, yusss. This time some jazzy rock. I know this song. It's The Police with Demolition Man. Nice to listen to. Fits again well in the mixtape.

Yup! It's the Police alright! :dance:

07 Nice following up song. Ah that voice! :D Talking heads, I love David Byrne. His voice is so ... typical David Byrne, hahaha. He sings so typical. Needless to say that I like this song :}

It wouldn't be a mixtape without some Talking Heads. ;D Let me just make that clear.

08 Green Day, I can be short about this. I don't like Green Day. Some songs of them I like, but most I can't stand :/ This song I don't like.

Yeah, Green Day is one of those bands nowaday where either you love 'em, hate 'em, or just don't care for them. In this case, I love them. :) And this song, "Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?" is one of their more early material; their more underrated and under-appreciated work if you ask me. :P

09 Starts off with drumming and guitars come in. Sounds like Yeah Yeah Yeah's; A Chick in a rock/punk band. This song makes me feel like their last album, it's okay but nothing special that I would like to listen more to.

It is indeed the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Its "No No No" from their first album, Fever to Tell, their first (and my favorite) album from them. :)

10 The drumming and guitar make me think this is at least Jack White, because it sounds very much like White Stripes. Maybe it is White Stripes? I have never listened to much of this. I don't know why. I like the song though.

Yup. The White Stripes. It's my favorite White Stripes song, "I Can't Wait".

11 More rock. This sounds so familiar and yet I don't know which song it is, aaaaaaargh. Sounds like 90's, Nirvana, but it seems not alternative enough for it. I could be wrong though. The voice also sounds like Bruce Springsteen somehow, the music would fit him more too I think.

This is actually The Replacements. They're an 80s punk/alt band, and this song, "Left of the Dial" is from one of my most absolute favorite albums of all time, Tim. :3

12 Ah yes! English, the voice and music sounds much like David Bowie. I don't know this song. It's nice, I want to hear more of this :}

This is actually "Letter from Hiro" by The Vapors, you know... the band that did that "Turning Japanese" song? :P This song is a million times better than "Turning Japanese". Both are respectively on their debut album, New Clear Days. :P

Overall a nice journey through time with some 80's and 90's if I am not mistaken. The songs fit well together. Thank you very much for this mixtape!

And you're very much welcome for the mixtape tape! :nice: I think it could've used a little more variety, but also in the same sense to not make it too diverse.

Tracklist:

1. Rush – Subdivisions (Signals)

2. The Birthday Massacre – Video Kid (Violet)

3. Asian Kung-Fu Generation – Senseless (Fanclub)

4. Beck – Earthquake Weather (Guero)

5. Yellow Magic Orchestra – Rydeen (Solid State Survivor)

6. The Police – Demolition Man (Ghost in the Machine)

7. Talking Heads – I’m Not in Love (More Songs About Buildings and Food)

8. Green Day – Who Wrote Holden Caulfield? (Kerplunk)

9. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – No No No (Fever to Tell)

10. The White Stripes – I Can’t Wait (White Blood Cells)

11. The Replacements – Left of the Dial (Tim)

12. The Vapors – Letter from Hiro (New Clear Days)

Download:

I'll post my review before the week is over! I swear!

HI SORRY FOR TAKING SO LONG

1. This song sounds pretty 80s inspired. That's usually something that really gets on my nerves but I actually quite like this. There's a male vocalist with a pretty generic voice. The chorus and melodies are really nice.

2. A female vocalist that I recognise but I can't put a name to...okay I've definitely heard this before it will be embarrassing when I find out what it is. I don't actually like this though it's very busy and like...confident to the point where it's irritating

3. nopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sorry childish gambino nope

4. Kinda mellow indie rock song. Female vocals. Kinda reminds me of St. Vincent? I don't think it's her though. This is nice.

5. this is that grimes song ummmm i really hate grimes i can't really explain why it's just all cutesy and gross i hate it sorry

6. there is a man saying "bam bam bam" in this song and it's kind of scaring me. I don't like this at all...I'm interested to know who it is though. Is it british? it sounds british

7. upbeat indie song. the chorus is kinda disco-y. This just really isn't my kind of thing I'm sorryyy

8. okay this one ACTUALLY sounds like it's from the 80s (although as the song goes on I'm less sure about this) The vocalist sounds british, he has a deep voice kinda like Morrissey. I don't think I have a problem with the 80s but man i dunno about this kind of music...

9. oh! St. Vincent! I forget the name of the song but I really like this one. I haven't listened to her in agess thank you for this. She has a v pretty voice

10. ahaa this song. I've heard this a lot I still don't actually know what it is though. The chorus is really catchy.

11. a ballad-ish song. I guess it's supposed to sound like it's from the 60s or something but idk I'm finding it really boring.

12. another ballad. folk guitar/vocals with chiptune synths. it's an interesting sound but hell :sick:

13. I feel like I recognise the girl's voice. I liked this up until the chorus or wherever it got all big. it was nice they didnt have to ruin it :( she has a really interesting voice though. I'd like to know who it is though

14. acoustic guitars glitching with a guy and a girl singing. This is pretty cool! I wanna know who this is!

15. a piano ballad. I was starting to warm to it when the single note drum/guitar/bass hits came in but I dunno. This sounds real emotional but I'm not feeling anything...maybe I'm too cynical

ummm I'm sorry I didn't like a lot of this. It was a lot of indie rock which is not my favourite thing anymore...it was interesting to listen to though because these are probably the songs I would love if I was still into that kinda thing. so thank you for giving me these songs I'd never heard before!

I wanna know about #1, #4 and #14!!

thank youuuu sorry i took so long to review..it wasn't even a very good review

I'm sorry you didn't like the tape so much, but I knew from your last.fm that we have pretty different tastes, so I decided to veer out and sort of pick and choose different things that I like from different genres and sounds and see if anything stuck. I didn't realize until it was reviewed that I'd included so many ballads! I feel like a sad nerd now!

HI SORRY FOR TAKING SO LONG

1. This song sounds pretty 80s inspired. That's usually something that really gets on my nerves but I actually quite like this. There's a male vocalist with a pretty generic voice. The chorus and melodies are really nice.

"Elevate" by St. Lucia. Another tune you may enjoy is "All Eyes On You". I find that he's 80s-inspired without tapping into it too much, which also can irritate me on occasion. When the Night is actually a pretty good listen.

2. A female vocalist that I recognise but I can't put a name to...okay I've definitely heard this before it will be embarrassing when I find out what it is. I don't actually like this though it's very busy and like...confident to the point where it's irritating

"Shampain" by Marina and the Diamonds. This song isn't actually the best representation of her as an artist--a good bit of her songs are a lot more vulnerable, like "Buy the Stars" and "Numb".

3. nopeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sorry childish gambino nope

lmao, this song is "L.E.S." I did anticipate this reaction, but I thought "why the hell not". His new album is a hell of a lot better than Camp.

4. Kinda mellow indie rock song. Female vocals. Kinda reminds me of St. Vincent? I don't think it's her though. This is nice.

"What's the Matter" by Milo Greene. This is actually one of my favorite bands ever and I had the opportunity to see them live this year. They're just as good live. Pretty much everyone in the group has fantastic voices and the harmonies on the other tracks on their album are wonderful. It's definitely worth checking out if you enjoy this song. "1957" is the favorite, but I personally recommend...well, everything, but if I had to pick, "Don't You Give Up On Me". The album is more enjoyable listened to as a whole and there is a really interesting companion film they released entitled

available on YouTube.

5. this is that grimes song ummmm i really hate grimes i can't really explain why it's just all cutesy and gross i hate it sorry

Yeah, "Oblivion". I'm only like 40% sure that I actually like Grimes. lol. I think it's really a love or hate sort of thing. Nobody I know stands in between.

6. there is a man saying "bam bam bam" in this song and it's kind of scaring me. I don't like this at all...I'm interested to know who it is though. Is it british? it sounds british

"Bam Bam" by King Charles. He's from London, I think?

7. upbeat indie song. the chorus is kinda disco-y. This just really isn't my kind of thing I'm sorryyy

"Shiver Shiver" by Walk the Moon.

8. okay this one ACTUALLY sounds like it's from the 80s (although as the song goes on I'm less sure about this) The vocalist sounds british, he has a deep voice kinda like Morrissey. I don't think I have a problem with the 80s but man i dunno about this kind of music...

"Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode. I think that for people that weren't actually around for the birth of synthpop, it's kind of an acquired taste. I know it was for me.

9. oh! St. Vincent! I forget the name of the song but I really like this one. I haven't listened to her in agess thank you for this. She has a v pretty voice

This is "Strange Mercy". Trying to make up for the Gambino because everyone loves Annie Clark and that's a fact.

10. ahaa this song. I've heard this a lot I still don't actually know what it is though. The chorus is really catchy.

"Ways to Go" by Grouplove. They're good for...you know, having fun or something. Fun is good, right?

11. a ballad-ish song. I guess it's supposed to sound like it's from the 60s or something but idk I'm finding it really boring.

"Winds of Change" by Fitz and the Tantrums.

12. another ballad. folk guitar/vocals with chiptune synths. it's an interesting sound but hell :sick:

"Before I Wake" by I Fight Dragons, a Nintendocore band. Their other stuff is pretty cool, and this is one of maybe three or so ballads from their discography. To anyone reading, they're worth checking out.

13. I feel like I recognise the girl's voice. I liked this up until the chorus or wherever it got all big. it was nice they didnt have to ruin it :( she has a really interesting voice though. I'd like to know who it is though

"Halcyon" by Ellie Goulding. She has some really good quieter songs, and actually sounds pretty good acoustic. "Explosions" is a good pick if you enjoy her voice but would prefer something less musically loud.

14. acoustic guitars glitching with a guy and a girl singing. This is pretty cool! I wanna know who this is!

"Tonight I'm Letting You Drive" by Six Twilights. I heard it on an Indie Feed podcast like thirty years ago and it has stuck with me because of the simple and nostalgic feel of it. The only place I can find their music is on iTunes and Spotify, but the rest is in the same vein and also very relaxing and, while not the most complex stuff I've ever heard, worth listening to because of its sincerity and feeling.

It's an old side project of Aaron Gerber in A Weather, who actually include some of the same whispery vocals in their music.

15. a piano ballad. I was starting to warm to it when the single note drum/guitar/bass hits came in but I dunno. This sounds real emotional but I'm not feeling anything...maybe I'm too cynical

"Everything Starts Where It Ends" by Lovedrug. I don't know why I leaned so heavily on ballads in this tape. Maybe I'm sad? Anyway, this band also plays harder, rockier stuff which is really good.

ummm I'm sorry I didn't like a lot of this. It was a lot of indie rock which is not my favourite thing anymore...it was interesting to listen to though because these are probably the songs I would love if I was still into that kinda thing. so thank you for giving me these songs I'd never heard before!

I wanna know about #1, #4 and #14!!

thank youuuu sorry i took so long to review..it wasn't even a very good review

Link

I got my tape a bit late, right when the test storm started, so I'm very sorry for this delay of my review.

Just wanted to tell you that I'm really enjoying your tape, especially the last song. And I'm pretty sure I know who you are. :P

I'll post my review this week for sure :)

Hi Chris, I was your mixtape maker as you already figured out ... I am so sorry for messing that up. I completely forgot that my username on here is Wyrd :embarrassed: It wasn't meant as my username, but as one of the Norns from nordic mythology, namely Destiny/Faith. It has to do with the theme of the mixtape, because Sedna is the North Goddess of the Sea. I wrote a long reply to elaborate about the myth and how the songs fitted it, but the file got lost on my computer, uuuurgh.

Okay then.

The tape I received is titled “Sedna: The Movie” and begins with the Warner Bros. horns theme.

First, that is awesome. Secondly, I am made instantly curious as to how far this movie theme stretches out.

The idea was to make it like a movie soundtrack, but without using tracks from movie soundtracks. My reply to each song is in the spoiler:

It's also divided into 6 audio files with somewhat cinematic titles, some of which contain various tracks neatly mixed together (It was even provided with a file that has the whole tape on one track). Thus, the WB theme cleanly merges seamlessly into soft, dissonant, ominous piano chords, and then into a rustling noise that I suspect is loose film whirring around a movie reel. This part ends segment 1, titled Start Movie.
It's indeed film whirring around a wheel, it's like that on the track, this is 'Lost in the trees - Moment one' (2012). It perfectly expresses the atmosphere. More of the artist will follow later.

Engagement:

Rythmically ascending piano chords, and a warm, high chorus of almost Japanese sounding female voices. The lead voice, however is in English and (lacking patience to search for adjectives) is quite enjoyable. Glockenspiel and drums join later. Lyrics seem to describe some romantic interest, but is at the same time a bit surreal. The tempo picks up, and her voice surges and screeches (enjoyably) all over the place. I must know more about who this. Tempo resolves into thickly textured keyboard, which eventually finds outlet into soft, minor key electric keyboard arpeggios.

This new female voice is delightfully weird, strange, and childish in the same way that Joanna Newsom’s is. Perhaps it is Newsom, but I don’t know enough of her Oeuvre to guess confidently. Hmm…I can make out sounds that are harpish, so I’ll go ahead and make that my guess. I love the haunting, churning melody and percussion here.

The first song is Rockettothesky with Sigars, though she's better known under the name Jenny Hval. It is mixed into Paavoharju - Alania. That is part with low-fi in it (I didn't do that, the song is like that). Alania is a short song and continues into CocoRosie - Child Bride (2013) when the beat comes in and the piano tune gets more in line with the beat. Sedna is a young woman from a fisherman village that turns down all men, until she meets a stranger with black eyes and her father engages her with him.

Father Regrets:

A lo-fi crunching sound with distant bird calls (as though trodding through the woods) shoots directly into a dark, driving contemporary post-punk vibe complete with a deep voice going on about demons and devils threatening to conquer. Sort of a Horrors or Editors vibe, sans synth. Haven’t listened to a song quite like this for a while, so I feel latently nostalgic toward semi-distorted guitar timbres, particularly during the bridge. Solid fare. Thanks! The final few seconds returns to the woody forest trodding and birds from before.

The first song is iLiKETRAiNS - We Go Hunting. I thought it would fit the myth, because when Sedna marries the stranger he turns into a giant crow and takes her to his nest. The father regrets to have given away his daughter to the stranger and goes to the nest with the fishermen to save his daughter.

The second song is Lost in the trees - Moment two. This is the foots walking through snow sound and the birds again.

Waves:

Clean electric guitar arpeggios with the reverb cranked up. Enter percussion. Groovy so far. Female voice sweeps in a few notes at a time, and the chorus dissolves into more atmospheric intensity apropos to the title. I dig this. Probably most keen on figuring out who’s behind this gauzy echo box than any track so far. A return to the refrain after the second chorus, keeps running into a nice fade out of yearning vocal. Transition of more soupiness, samples, a strangely distorted keyboard effect, and a bit of the birds motif once again. I really like how this theme keeps appearing. Now a chorus of voices and keyboards falls into a mellow synth, soft drums and a reassuring, melancholic male voice. A soft bass accompaniment nicely accents with what began low, but builds into a falsetto ballad somewhat reminiscent of Justin Vernon’s pop efforts. Beautifully produced this one (choruses and vibrating keyboards return, as does the film reel sample). Thank ya kindly.

The first song is Esben and the witch - Slow Wave. If you dig this, you'll love the whole album. I think it's even my no.1 album of this year. The transition brings you to another track of Paavorharju, this time it's Salainen Huone. The birds (crows) are in the song and as you noticed it's indeed one of the themes of the mixtape. That's because the stranger that Sedna married to is a Crow creature. So in the myth the father wants to take Sedna from the Crow, but the creature is too strong and even casts a huge storm to battle the father and the fishermen. The father then tries to rescue Sedna from the crow by throwing her out of the nest, which is built on a cliff, into the sea hoping that she will survive the struggle in the waves. She ends up half frozen at the bottom of the sea, but her grudge towards the crow and her father is so big that she not only survives, but even transforms into a Goddess with frozen off fingers that will become sea creatures and a tail like a fish.

The last song you hear is Efterklang - Sedna. The song contains samples made in a ghost town up north which the band recorded while they were making this album. It ends with the first part of Lost in the Trees - Moment One, which continues at the start of the next song.

Ghost:

The crunching loop segs perfectly into a rhythmic acoustic rhythm and a shiny keyboard melody (occasional glissando of some instrument). Female voice that again I lack to the tools to describe (nice tho). I think I picked out the lyrics “Ghost of the forest.” I won’t cheat and look up these songs, but I think they would be telling with regard to these titles. Even without them though, the general feel has corresponded nicely. Ghostly is exactly how I would describe much of the music here. I like it. Audio of softly crashing waves marks the transition.

So Moment One immediately followes up by Lost in the Trees - Neither here nor there which is also how they have it on their album. The waves are a sample taken from the last song on the mixtape, just to have one of the themes there again.

Peace:

Steady violin swells maintain the feel of the waves while soft electronic keyboard bips and bops lead into an angelic chorus (been quite a few of those on this tape) with an only partially distinguishable lead voice. Gauzy, cloudish vibe continues through a bit of piano and a return to strings, voice, and the waves again. A short, lovely interlude reminiscent of Hammock’s music sans guitar.

It's Julianna Barwick - Crystal Lake. The song is longer, but the artist works with loops, so this is basically one loop of the song and in the original it repeats itself, giving a nice hypnothizing feeling to it.

Drift:

Waves continue through the gap while a guitar plucks over more ghostly atmospherics. “Deep inside the silence, staring out upon the sea..” enters a young male voice with an second echoing voice. Drums enter, guitar tremolo builds. A remorseful romantic tune. Not as interested in this as previous songs. Maybe a bit soppy and snow patrolish, but still enjoyable. The repeated lyrics “drifting out…” is, again, fitting. As it fades into more guitar trills and reverbed arpeggios. There are those waves again... for a couple minutes it’s nothing but the same loop of crashing waves which is a touch I deeply enjoy. I’m reading the book, “The Sea, the Sea” by Iris Murdoch right now, and her character spends much of it contemplating this sound. Eventually crunching steps enter (the terrain feels different), more birds, but this time a male, british speaking voice. The man is unhappy, describing (as though speaking to himself) spiders, disgusting waves of dung, death rays etc. All accented by very low, dissonant piano chords. His talking overlaps with a sample of another british voice answering a phone. Then, a second of static, and the tape is done.

The waves continue for an even longer time in the original piece by Anathema but you get the idea. The voices are also like that in the song. It's their song Temporary Peace and it continues after that, but I find it boring after that so I just cut the song with some static as if someone switched the chanel on TV to white noise.

Tracklist

00 Century Fox intro, followed by 'Lost in the trees - Moment one' (2012)

01 'Rockettothesky - Cigars (2006)', followed by 'Paavoharju - Alania' (2008) and 'CocoRosie - Child Bride (2013)'

02 'iLiKETRAiNS - We Go Hunting' (2007), followed by 'Lost in the trees - Moment two' (2012)

03 'Esben and the witch - Slow Wave'(2013), followed by 'Paavorharju - Salainen Huone' (2008) and 'Efterklang - Sedna' (2012)

04 'Lost in the Trees - Neither here nor there' (2012)

05 'Julianna Barwick - Crystal Lake' (2013)

06 'Anathema - Temporary Peace' (1999)

Hi Chris, I was your mixtape maker as you already figured out ... I am so sorry for messing that up. I completely forgot that my username on here is Wyrd :embarrassed: It wasn't meant as my username, but as one of the Norns from nordic mythology, namely Destiny/Faith. It has to do with the theme of the mixtape, because Sedna is the North Goddess of the Sea. I wrote a long reply to elaborate about the myth and how the songs fitted it, but the file got lost on my computer, uuuurgh. The idea was to make it like a movie soundtrack, but without using tracks from movie soundtracks. My reply to each song is in the spoiler:

It's indeed film whirring around a wheel, it's like that on the track, this is 'Lost in the trees - Moment one' (2012). It perfectly expresses the atmosphere. More of the artist will follow later.

The first song is Rockettothesky with Sigars, though she's better known under the name Jenny Hval. It is mixed into Paavoharju - Alania. That is part with low-fi in it (I didn't do that, the song is like that). Alania is a short song and continues into CocoRosie - Child Bride (2013) when the beat comes in and the piano tune gets more in line with the beat. Sedna is a young woman from a fisherman village that turns down all men, until she meets a stranger with black eyes and her father engages her with him.

The first song is iLiKETRAiNS - We Go Hunting. I thought it would fit the myth, because when Sedna marries the stranger he turns into a giant crow and takes her to his nest. The father regrets to have given away his daughter to the stranger and goes to the nest with the fishermen to save his daughter.

The second song is Lost in the trees - Moment two. This is the foots walking through snow sound and the birds again.

The first song is Esben and the witch - Slow Wave. If you dig this, you'll love the whole album. I think it's even my no.1 album of this year. The transition brings you to another track of Paavorharju, this time it's Salainen Huone. The birds (crows) are in the song and as you noticed it's indeed one of the themes of the mixtape. That's because the stranger that Sedna married to is a Crow creature. So in the myth the father wants to take Sedna from the Crow, but the creature is too strong and even casts a huge storm to battle the father and the fishermen. The father then tries to rescue Sedna from the crow by throwing her out of the nest, which is built on a cliff, into the sea hoping that she will survive the struggle in the waves. She ends up half frozen at the bottom of the sea, but her grudge towards the crow and her father is so big that she not only survives, but even transforms into a Goddess with frozen off fingers that will become sea creatures and a tail like a fish.

The last song you hear is Efterklang - Sedna. The song contains samples made in a ghost town up north which the band recorded while they were making this album. It ends with the first part of Lost in the Trees - Moment One, which continues at the start of the next song.

So Moment One immediately followes up by Lost in the Trees - Neither here nor there which is also how they have it on their album. The waves are a sample taken from the last song on the mixtape, just to have one of the themes there again.

It's Julianna Barwick - Crystal Lake. The song is longer, but the artist works with loops, so this is basically one loop of the song and in the original it repeats itself, giving a nice hypnothizing feeling to it.

The waves continue for an even longer time in the original piece by Anathema but you get the idea. The voices are also like that in the song. It's their song Temporary Peace and it continues after that, but I find it boring after that so I just cut the song with some static as if someone switched the chanel on TV to white noise.

Tracklist

00 Century Fox intro, followed by 'Lost in the trees - Moment one' (2012)

01 'Rockettothesky - Cigars (2006)', followed by 'Paavoharju - Alania' (2008) and 'CocoRosie - Child Bride (2013)'

02 'iLiKETRAiNS - We Go Hunting' (2007), followed by 'Lost in the trees - Moment two' (2012)

03 'Esben and the witch - Slow Wave'(2013), followed by 'Paavorharju - Salainen Huone' (2008) and 'Efterklang - Sedna' (2012)

04 'Lost in the Trees - Neither here nor there' (2012)

05 'Julianna Barwick - Crystal Lake' (2013)

06 'Anathema - Temporary Peace' (1999)

Wow, the story was as elaborate and creative as I had hoped. I know extremely little about Nordic mythology, so I appreciate reading the story. The snow marching and waves make perfect sense now. I'm ashamed for not having recognized Julianna Barwick (her work is fantastic), and I am quite fond of Efterklang's first album, but haven't heard much else. Gonna look these up now, thanks again! :toff:

Here's my review. I AM SO SORRY IF IT ISN'T EFFECTIVE ENOUGH FOR A REVIEW; IT'S MY FIRST MT EXCHANGE. I’m not the best at describing things, so please don’t murder me in advance. :lol: But I digress… Anyway, the maker of this 13-song mixtape dubbed it “RaveN” (pun on rave music and ravens, I’m guessing?) and included a nice little image to coincide with the name:

11427813786_0ccb06556c_b.jpg

Now, on with the music! :dance:

Track 1: The first song starts off with vocals fading in. It’s a nice way to get the ball rolling on this mixtape! It has a electro house feel to it.

Track 2: This one is a house track that has some pretty neat vocals. :) Me likey.

Track 3: It has an intro that has audio like a rocket is about to launch or something. :P This one is also very upbeat and I’m anticipating to hear more of this!

Track 4: This one has a spacey vibe to it. It has an electro feel to it as well. It’s great to listen to when in space! :P

Track 5: I love the vocals in this one, more specifically the lyrics. He only just discovered the sun on the last day… :lol: I’m dying to hear more of this. :)

Track 6: Okay, this one, I’m slowing starting to love, just like Track 5. It’s spacey and trancey and stuff. :P

Track 7: Sounds a bit similar to the previous tracks, except this one has muffled vocals.

Track 8: This sound like it could be some kind of background music for a dark and creepy level in a video game, but nine times out of ten, it’s probably not. xD I want to hear more of this.

Track 9: The song gives me vibes like a day at the beach or something. xD I like it, actually.

Track 10: This one is an acoustic song. In the chorus, the singer sings: In the end, we’ll all stand together in the end. Sounds like it could’ve been recorded in the ‘60s or ‘70s.

Track 11: This sounds like some experimental indie-rock that has some beats that sound maybe like they’re influenced by hip hop? It also has some atmospheric synths in the background as well, just like in Track 8.

Track 12: This one is a seven-minute long rave with messy-sounding keyboards as the outro. This is intriguing, I must say!

Track 13: Thirteenth and last song on this mixtape. The vocals in this song sounds like it could’ve been used in a pop song, but instead it’s used for an interesting experimental song with two vocalists collaborating in the vocal efforts. Did I tell you I loved you today? I’m interested in hearing more of this stuff.

Overall, this mixtape has been a trip for me. That’s it; I’m calling it a trip tape. :P I’ve enjoyed it and I look forward to hearing more of just about everything I’ve heard! It truly did live up to its name. It really got me “raven.’” :)

P.S. I had a real hard time trying to describe what I was listening to. That’s how inexperienced (*cough*closeminded*cough*) I am with this type of music. :P

Hi Anthony! I was your mixtape partner. :)

Here's my review. I AM SO SORRY IF IT ISN'T EFFECTIVE ENOUGH FOR A REVIEW; IT'S MY FIRST MT EXCHANGE. I’m not the best at describing things, so please don’t murder me in advance. :lol: But I digress… Anyway, the maker of this 13-song mixtape dubbed it “RaveN” (pun on rave music and ravens, I’m guessing?) and included a nice little image to coincide with the name:

The original idea I had for this excahnge was making a full-blown electronic mixtape (that means that even, for example, electro house/complextro and trance stuff would have been included) but, after partners were assigned, when I saw that most bands in your Last.fm were alt and classic rock I became really worried and I had to restart making a whole new tape :anxious:

So, I decided to keep part of the dance-y electronic tracks ("rave") and mix them with darker instrumented stuff ("raven") along with some "outsiders"

Now, on with the music! :dance:

Track 1: The first song starts off with vocals fading in. It’s a nice way to get the ball rolling on this mixtape! It has a electro house feel to it.

Believe it or not, this is a remix of a song from Sigur Ros' last album: I really like how the producer managed to keep the dreamy feel of the original song giving it a prog-house twist.

Track 2: This one is a house track that has some pretty neat vocals. :) Me likey.

This is an alternate version of Breathe This Air by Jon Hopkins, featuring Purity Ring. I think someone else has put this in his/her mixtape in this exchange.

Track 3: It has an intro that has audio like a rocket is about to launch or something. :P This one is also very upbeat and I’m anticipating to hear more of this!

Pendulum! Most people know their more upbeat D'n'B/electro-rock singles (which are still really good) but they also have trippier more melodic little gems like this one.

Track 4: This one has a spacey vibe to it. It has an electro feel to it as well. It’s great to listen to when in space! :P

Ironically, this is actually called Track 4. :P This is a milestone for techno music. It was relased back in 1990 and could have come out just yesterday.

Track 5: I love the vocals in this one, more specifically the lyrics. He only just discovered the sun on the last day… :lol: I’m dying to hear more of this. :)

Another great song by the legendary Moby. I was quite doubtful aobut Skylar Grey featuring on this song (I don't like her solo stuff at all) but her performance turned out being sublime.

Track 6: Okay, this one, I’m slowing starting to love, just like Track 5. It’s spacey and trancey and stuff. :P

I love the psychedelic and trancey feel this track has too. The unexpected wobbling bassline in the middle of the song is what makes the song for me though :wacky:

Track 7: Sounds a bit similar to the previous tracks, except this one has muffled vocals.

This is the third time in a row I put a Darkstar song in a mixtape of mine, haha! This is their very first song, when they were still making UK Garage/Dubstep

Track 8: This sound like it could be some kind of background music for a dark and creepy level in a video game, but nine times out of ten, it’s probably not. xD I want to hear more of this.

Actually, the second part would indeed fit in very atmospheric videogames like Metroid. I really like the transition from the more upbeat half to the ambient one.

Track 9: The song gives me vibes like a day at the beach or something. xD I like it, actually.

I think that a cover of this song (don't remember who made it) was included in the soundtrack of The Beach. Anyway, the original version is the product of the almost unknown collaboration between Brian Eno and John Cale

Track 10: This one is an acoustic song. In the chorus, the singer sings: In the end, we’ll all stand together in the end. Sounds like it could’ve been recorded in the ‘60s or ‘70s.

This is the other "outsider". I actually found out aobut this artist because MGMT covered one of their songs on their latest album.

Track 11: This sounds like some experimental indie-rock that has some beats that sound maybe like they’re influenced by hip hop? It also has some atmospheric synths in the background as well, just like in Track 8.

I don't know under which music genre I'd put this song, because it's a very unusual blend of many. I just know that I was really surprised by the album the song is on.

Track 12: This one is a seven-minute long rave with messy-sounding keyboards as the outro. This is intriguing, I must say!

And here's where I dared the most! To be honest, I wasn't expecting you to really like it but, well, I'm really glad you did :P

Track 13: Thirteenth and last song on this mixtape. The vocals in this song sounds like it could’ve been used in a pop song, but instead it’s used for an interesting experimental song with two vocalists collaborating in the vocal efforts. Did I tell you I loved you today? I’m interested in hearing more of this stuff.

This is by deadmau5. It's quite different than his usual style and I just love Imogen Heap's vocals (yep, there's only one vocalist)

Overall, this mixtape has been a trip for me. That’s it; I’m calling it a trip tape. :P I’ve enjoyed it and I look forward to hearing more of just about everything I’ve heard! It truly did live up to its name. It really got me “raven.’” :)

Haha, so, my puns are not so bad after all! :lol:

P.S. I had a real hard time trying to describe what I was listening to. That’s how inexperienced (*cough*closeminded*cough*) I am with this type of music. :P

Don't worry, it's my "fault" if this was kinda out of your comfort zone. I'm really glad you still enjoyed it :nice:

Tracklist:

1. Rafstraumur (Cyril Hahn Remix) - Sigur Ros (2013)

2. Breathe This Air (feat. Purity Ring) – Jon Hopkins (2013)

3. Streamline - Pendulum (Hold Your Colour, 2005)

4. Track 4 - LFO (1990)

5. The Last Day (feat. Skylar Grey) - Moby (Innocents, 2013)

6. Vista – Jackson And His Computerband (Glow, 2013)

7. Dead 2 Me - Darkstar (2007)

8. Zebra - Oneothrix Point Never (R Plus Seven, 2013)

9. Spinning Away - Brian Eno and John Cale (Wrong Way Up, 1990)

10. Stand Toghether - Faine Jade (Introspection, A Faine Jade Recital, 1968)

11. Metatron - Darkside (Psychic, 2013)

12. Chance Of Rain - Laurel Halo (Chance Of Rain, 2013)

13. Telemiscommunications (feat. Imogen Heap) - Deadmau5 (>album title goes here<, 2012)

As promised, here's finally my review.

There are 16 tracks and one interlude in this mixtape and it was accopained by a weird kind of psychedelic hand-drawn artwork, so whoever made this must have put lots of effort into it.

But now, to the music:

1. A short guitar-based song opens the mixtape. It has a very glam-rocky feel and quite reminds me of Hang On To Yourself by David Bowie. I'm 99% sure this is from the early '70s.

2. Oh, a reversed track! Very weird/unusual stuff indeed. The melody is pratically based on two guitar chords and some creepy high-pitched sounds. I tried playing it backwards with FL Studio and well, those sounds are actually vocals (this dosen't make them any less creepy though), but I can't really tell what they're singing. I also noticed someone singing "da-dada-dada-da" towards the end (or beginning?)

3. This one sounds like late '80s dream pop. The vocals are pratically snowed under layers of dreamy synths and, again, it's not easy to understand what the singer's saying. Really like the atmosphere on this one.

4. A very filtered guitar riff is repeated throughout the whole track and samples of a woman saying things like "Why don't you kiss me?" are scattered here and there. However, the centerpiece of the song are some cut-up vocals in a very high pitch (not even close to being creepy like track 2's).

5. Another short number again with lots of cut-up samples and someone whistling. Sounds like one of those cool instrumental/experimental hip-hop tracks with a nice psychedelic twist. Me likes.

6. Starts with what seems to be a classic jazz song but then suddenly stops and some weird quite dissonant acustic guitar riff starts with samples of the jazz song intercut. Interesting.

6a. Someone talking about the “supersound of the '70s”?

7. A fast-paced new wave song. Judging from the chorus, the song title could be Renè(e)? Anyway, it definitely sounds like something relased in the late '70s/early '80s.

8. A droning piece of ambient music with some bell-like sounds in the background and very treated voices. Really love the soundscape it creates.

9. This one starts with the sound of a radio tuning then some falsetto vocals sing aobut “smoking weed with me”. The song is a really nice piece of neo-psychedelica with some electronic music influences. Really like this one too.

10. Wow! I'm still not really into hip-hop but this is just... awesome. I like how the rapping vocals and the ambience blend toghether with the samples and glitches. The song ends with a psychologist(?) talking about shamans.

11. Again a droning song. This one however, is way more dissonant and sounds like it's been sped up. There's also some weird and creepy synth fastly arpeggiating towards the middle of the track. Quite intriguing.

12. This one still had all the information in it (I tried to delete them too but for some reasong I didn't manage to, so it's no the tape maker's fault. Anyway, the song is another alt hip-hop one with a huge wall of sound “built” over the beats. Really dig the lyrics.

13. Starts with a nice synthetised strings melody and a steady beat then goes a bit more glitchy then returns to the main theme, this time joined by a really deep-voiced choir humming, giving the song a very moody feel. There's also a phone call towards the end.

14. Starts with a xylophone, bells and other percussion instruments, then the song gradually builds up and the main melody kicks in. This is repeated throughout the song with the different instruments entering and disappearing multiple times. For some reason, this reminds me of a more melodic and chilled-out version of Caribou's Bowls. Love it.

15. Some dreamy guitars are arpeggiating over an almost idillyc atmosphere then the bassline kicks-in, joined by a flute-like synth. Various samples are added in, creating a quite (for lack of a better term) majestic atmosphere. This has to be one of my favourites off this mixtape.

16. A short melancholy acustic guitar piece. There are some really sweet female vocals singing “the end is near...”. Very nice closer

Overall, I have to say I loved this tape. It was really experimental and very variegated (the second half in particular) and it stayed away from the classic cheesy indie rock sound of whom I'm totally sick. I've been looking for this kind of dreamy, trip-hop-ish and quite psychedelic stuff for ages. Thank you! :)

Whattup Mrk, I was your mixtaper maker and lets get down to the shizzle~

As promised, here's finally my review.

There are 16 tracks and one interlude in this mixtape and it was accopained by a weird kind of psychedelic hand-drawn artwork, so whoever made this must have put lots of effort into it.

thank u i did, i made the painting before and thought it would fit because she has an ear thats also a mouth and her mind:

tumblr_my4y9kNjI61rfr7kro1_500.png

But now, to the music:

1. A short guitar-based song opens the mixtape. It has a very glam-rocky feel and quite reminds me of Hang On To Yourself by David Bowie. I'm 99% sure this is from the early '70s.

Last Caress by Misfits- i love hang on to yourself :heart: it's actually from 1995 :surprised:

2. Oh, a reversed track! Very weird/unusual stuff indeed. The melody is pratically based on two guitar chords and some creepy high-pitched sounds. I tried playing it backwards with FL Studio and well, those sounds are actually vocals (this dosen't make them any less creepy though), but I can't really tell what they're singing. I also noticed someone singing "da-dada-dada-da" towards the end (or beginning?)

sis around the sàndmill by Avey Tare and Kria Brekkanyeah actually they released this album reversed and I had both versions but i heard the reversed version first and thought it sounded cool but the original is pretty cool and cute too

3. This one sounds like late '80s dream pop. The vocals are pratically snowed under layers of dreamy synths and, again, it's not easy to understand what the singer's saying. Really like the atmosphere on this one.

Fright Night by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - this guy usually makes songs that sound like they've been made before the 90's but i dont think they could since he has such a cool unique style

4. A very filtered guitar riff is repeated throughout the whole track and samples of a woman saying things like "Why don't you kiss me?" are scattered here and there. However, the centerpiece of the song are some cut-up vocals in a very high pitch (not even close to being creepy like track 2's).

Multi-Family Garage Sale (Bargain Bin Remix) by Land Of Loops - I couldnt find the original version on spotify but this one sounds mostly the same but check out the original one if you can!

5. Another short number again with lots of cut-up samples and someone whistling. Sounds like one of those cool instrumental/experimental hip-hop tracks with a nice psychedelic twist. Me likes.

Wizards of Meh by Pogo - idk if you knew Pogo because he's p well known in youtube and this is his remix of The Wizard of Oz.

6. Starts with what seems to be a classic jazz song but then suddenly stops and some weird quite dissonant acustic guitar riff starts with samples of the jazz song intercut. Interesting.

Come Thru by Samiyam - not sure if you'd be into hip hop but this is very jazzy

6a. Someone talking about the “supersound of the '70s”?

this is from the movie Reservoi Dogs, and i thought it would be cool to make it like you're listening to the radio like most Tarantino soundtracks

7. A fast-paced new wave song. Judging from the chorus, the song title could be Renè(e)? Anyway, it definitely sounds like something relased in the late '70s/early '80s.

Renèe (Who's Driving Your Car?) by Cleaners From Venus - yep! probs the least avant garde experimental one i put here but i thought it would be a nice contrast and break from the bleep bloops

8. A droning piece of ambient music with some bell-like sounds in the background and very treated voices. Really love the soundscape it creates.

Uterus Water by Kria Brekkan - this is the same creepy girl vocals from track 2 jeje

9. This one starts with the sound of a radio tuning then some falsetto vocals sing aobut “smoking weed with me”. The song is a really nice piece of neo-psychedelica with some electronic music influences. Really like this one too.

Meet The Frownies by Twin Sister - i think its "smoking weed with you"

10. Wow! I'm still not really into hip-hop but this is just... awesome. I like how the rapping vocals and the ambience blend toghether with the samples and glitches. The song ends with a psychologist(?) talking about shamans.

Magnolia by Lushlife - whenever i wanna show someone a rap/hip hop track i play them this one, my dad liked this one and he usually dislikes rap but is very into jazz so im glad you liked it too!

11. Again a droning song. This one however, is way more dissonant and sounds like it's been sped up. There's also some weird and creepy synth fastly arpeggiating towards the middle of the track. Quite intriguing.

Concert Black by Zs - i just love creepy and droney songs huh? jeje. Zs has become my fav discovery and i wanted to put my favorite song by their but its 23 minutes long and this is their shortest.

12. This one still had all the information in it (I tried to delete them too but for some reasong I didn't manage to, so it's no the tape maker's fault. Anyway, the song is another alt hip-hop one with a huge wall of sound “built” over the beats. Really dig the lyrics.

I Want It Bad (Liquid Heart) by Heems - yeah i tried to get the information off but it didnt want to and youtube rips were crap so i was like f*ck it. he sampled a track from the artist of track 9 o:

13. Starts with a nice synthetised strings melody and a steady beat then goes a bit more glitchy then returns to the main theme, this time joined by a really deep-voiced choir humming, giving the song a very moody feel. There's also a phone call towards the end.

So Easy by Royskopp

14. Starts with a xylophone, bells and other percussion instruments, then the song gradually builds up and the main melody kicks in. This is repeated throughout the song with the different instruments entering and disappearing multiple times. For some reason, this reminds me of a more melodic and chilled-out version of Caribou's Bowls. Love it.

Ringleader by Shigeto - I havent heard Bowls :surprised: i'll check it out and see

15. Some dreamy guitars are arpeggiating over an almost idillyc atmosphere then the bassline kicks-in, joined by a flute-like synth. Various samples are added in, creating a quite (for lack of a better term) majestic atmosphere. This has to be one of my favourites off this mixtape.

Etoh by The Avalanches - frikkin love this whole album. i think of it as a huge song and this is just one excerpt from it and i'd encourage to check out the full LP

16. A short melancholy acustic guitar piece. There are some really sweet female vocals singing “the end is near...”. Very nice closer

On A Good Day by Joanna Newsom :nice:

Overall, I have to say I loved this tape. It was really experimental and very variegated (the second half in particular) and it stayed away from the classic cheesy indie rock sound of whom I'm totally sick. I've been looking for this kind of dreamy, trip-hop-ish and quite psychedelic stuff for ages. Thank you! :)

no thank you!!! i totally suck at reviews and you're really eloquent and give good descriptions of songs and im glad that i got u as a partner. i was told that you knew your fair share of music so i really had to dig deep to my obscure records (or zip files jeje) :daisy:

Link;

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/6gxa277u09gof/cping_mixtape

1. Last Caress - Misfits (Collection 2)
  2. sis around the sàndmill - Avey Tare and Kria Brekkan (Pullhair Rubeye)
  3. Fright Night - Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti (Before Today)
  4. Multi-Family Garage Sale (Bargain Bin Remix) - Land Of Loops (Bunde of Joy)
  5. Wizards of Meh - Pogo (Youtube Remix)
  6. Come Thru - Samiyam (Wish You Were Here)
    6a. Super Sounds - Steven Wright (Reservoir Dogs Soundtrack)
  7. Renèe (Who's Driving Your Car?) - Cleaners From Venus (In The Golden Autumn)
  8. Uterus Water - Kria Brekkan (Uterus Water)
  9. Meet The Frownies - Twin Sister (Split)
  10. Magnolia - Lushlife (Plateau Vision)
  11. Concert Black - Zs (New Slaved)
  12. I Want It Bad (Liquid Heart) - Heems (Nehru Jackets)
  13. So Easy - Royskopp (Melody AM)
  14. Ringleader - Shigeto (No Better Time Than Now)
  15. Etoh - The Avalanches (Since I Left You)
  16. On A Good Day - Joanna Newsom (Have One On Me)