✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange #16 [Mixtapes due 25/11]

Cyan Kat

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Jonny and the cake, I was your mixtape maker. I'm going to write a proper answer when I have the time (hopefully tomorrow), but a shout out for putting Radiohead, Foals and Jon Hopkins on your tape. I knew that could work.

I've also gotten my tape and already given it a first spin, teaser: I quite like it :)

PS: you guessed the Christmas track right :D

• Like 1

Here's my mixtape review! My tape was called "Habitual Falling"....not sure where the inspiration for that title came from, but it's still pretty clever.

(warning: the review is kind of long)

Track 1: Starts with little guitar/piano twangs, then the actual song starts. There's a random explosion of all the instruments at once – not that this is bad, mind you! I really like the piano and vocals in this one. Actually, I just really like the song in general, but the VOCALS ahhhh. There are a lot of different sections to this piece, which I liked – aside from the autotune at the end, anyway. I'd love to know who this artist is - this song is really good!

Track 2: Okay the beginning of this song threw me off at first, but as soon as the song actually started, I started liking it more. I think this is Editors - the guy singing certainly has a deep enough voice. :P (And the guitarist sounds typical of The Back Room-era stuff). If this Editors, I'm surprised about the direction that they went in after the first album – a quiet song? All that said, though, this is a really good song - not as quite as good as the first one, but it's close. (EDIT: On second listen...this isn't Editors. What was I thinking?)

Track 3: A folk guitar song, with a female singer. I don't really like her voice much, to be honest – I can't really explain why, but her voice is kind of nasally and too whiny for my tastes. The guitar is really good, though, enough so that I can ignore the singer's voice. :P

Track 4: A mostly-guitar track, kind of Snow Patrol-ish (a compliment coming from me). I'm pretty confident that this is Biffy Clyro – I can hear the singer's accent dripping through and through. The guitar on this is really strong - whoever the guitar player is, they know what they're doing. My tastes are kind of diverging from this kind of music, but this is an excellent song.

Track 5: Another mostly-guitar song with a female singer, this one who I like much, much more. The singer is much more soothing than the one on the third track. This song is really beautiful, actually – might be my favorite of this tape. I'm not at all familiar with female singers with guitars, but I have a feeling that this singer is either Feist or Fiona Apple. (I'm probably wrong on this one, but oh well.)

Track 6: A very sparse song with basically just a steady drum beat, with a little bit of piano and what I think is a synth later on. Oh, and also a saxophone. The singer on this one sounds like a classical country singer, but the song is completely at odds with that – it's almost a jazz song. The lyrics are a lot clearer in this song, and while I'm not usually one to pay attention to lyrics, it was sort of difficult not to hear the “I love you and you love me, and there's no fruit hanging on the old fruit tree” line. If I ever need a song to relax to, it might be this one - so calming.

Track 7: Honky tonk piano! This song makes me want to go and take a roadtrip to somewhere in the Midwest, as weird as that sounds. Too young and thoughtless to calm your memoriessss. About four minutes in, the song slows down quite a lot, and it suddenly feels a lot more serious, but I love this part of the song. This entire song is really nice, although I do prefer the end a bit to the beginning. *bobs head up and down to the drum beat*

Track 8: Instrumental song, with piano blended together. Okay, this is definitely mellow jazz – the piano and drum beats kind of give it away. I don't usually like jazz much, if at all, but I really like this – it's not in your face at all, and it's actually really calming and relaxing. There's a bit of amplified guitar near the end, and something that sounds like a violin at the very end, which I really liked. Maybe I'll try to get into this type of music more now that it's not as bad as I thought it was. :P

Track 9: Ahh, now this is the a really good song. I actually thought this was an instrumental at first – the lyrics didn't start until about a minute in. The singer's voice is really light and soaring, which fits well with the folksy guitar and violin in the background. I'm kind of a sucker for songs with prominent violin parts, but dang, I love these strings. This is probably my favorite song on this tape – it's just really calm and relaxed. Just, wow. I can't wait to find out who this artist is.

Track 10: Okay, this reminds me of the Smiths a lot – it's probably not them, but something about this song just feels like an 80's mellow indie song. This song was fairly meh for me though, sorry. :\ It's not that it was bad, it just doesn't stand out much compared some of the other songs on this mixtape - and something about the singer's voice just puts me a little bit off. That being said, this is still a nice song, and the violin is really great.

Track 11: More upbeat than the last three songs, this song has a steady guitar beat (for lack of a better word) throughout it that I really like. The little sections where the singer was talking instead of actually singing are not something I usually hear – A+ for choosing something that's not all that common! I didn't absolutely love this song, but it's definitely something I would listen to again. Very nice song! (EDIT: As I listen to this song more, I like it more and more...so yeah. It's really good.)

Track 12: Another mellow song, this one with a female singer and a piano (and MOAR VIOLIN AHH). God, I love this singer's voice – she's got such a range, and it's obvious how talented she is almost immediately. The piano is just...wow. I love pretty much any song with prominent piano, but this tops average piano usage. This is such a great song overall. You're more than a superstar, indeed. Definitely a favorite of this mixtape.

Track 13: Yet another quiet song, but now with a guy singer. Who also has an amazing voice. God, this is just...so good. I don't know how to put my thoughts into words here. I think the lyrics are about someone getting married and then the relationship falling through, from what I could hear (as usual, I'm probably wrong), but that doesn't even matter to me. A+ wow such good.

Track 14: Okay, this is definitely a departure from the last few mellow songs. It sounds like there was a lot of Indian influence on this song – I don't really know how to explain why, but there are definitely a lot of horns. This almost feels like something from a detective movie, to be honest. I don't really like this song much – the really slow horns and buzzing noises are throwing me off. (EDIT: not throwing me off as much on 2nd listen, but I still don't like this song much). This song sticks out like a sore thumb to me, and not in a good way. :/ Maybe on a different mixtape, I could have appreciated this more, but as this is a fairly "alternative rock" type of mixtape, this song just doesn't really work.

Track 15: Andddd last song, another mellow guitar song. Nice touch with the first line of lyrics being, “It's never easy to say goodbye to the faces.” :P This is a really nice song - the only thing that I don't really like is the singer, probably because it seems like he's talking more than singing. This was a very nice song to end the mixtape with, though - very calming.

Overall, this mixtape was really good. There were definitely some flaws – what the heck was track 14? - but I really like a lot of the songs on here. I literally have no idea who any of the artists are, save for Biffy Clyro, so you definitely did a good job in including music that I haven't heard before. :nice:

Thanks, to whoever made my tape!

Yeah, definitely! Does that mean I should make one too or will I just be reviewing this time?

well you can look through some songs/ideas you may have and if after a week or smth people are without a tape you could make one and review someone else's if needs be.

Well i feel like i can now post the track list to Prince Myshkins review. There was a little theme but not a strong one, it was "Birmingham & Beyond". I do a music show here in Birmingham (UK) and play a lot of unsigned local acts as well as established ones so the mixtape is the kind of music we play on that show.

Birmingham & Beyond:

Peace - Lovesick

(Birmingham signed band who are making a big name for themselves atm)

Broken Witt Rebels - All Worn Out

(Unsigned Birmingham band who are also good friends of mine)

Metronomy - Heartbreaker

(Band from london i believe, one of my favorite songs)

Editors - What is This Thing Called Love

(My girlfriend hates his vocals and cant listen to this band, they are a great, Birmingham formed band though)

Crystal Fighters - LA Calling

(Band formed in London again, have strong links to Basque culture and are one of the best live bands ive ever seen)

Bombay Bicycle Club - Carry Me

(Very much an English band, this is a new one from them which will be on their next album)

Bloc Party - The Healing

(Well spotted, this is from their new album 'Four', which is one of their best. There are a lot of songs on that album you wouldnt recognize as a Bloc Party track, its a good listen though)

Babypink - Feeble

(A very new band to form in Birmingham, there is a big buzz about these guys right now, hopefully they can push on from the good start they've had)

The Neighbourhood - Sweater Weather

(This is a song that was shown to me by a friend i have in America, its quite big over there but id never heard of them until recently)

Clean Bandit - Rhianna

(An English band i was very exited to see live but was disappointed with them, doesnt take anything away from the recorded songs though)

Jamie Woon - Night Air

(English lad who didnt really take off after this great song, not sure where he's from)

Travis - Love Will Come Through

(Our mates travis, tried to put some songs in that Coldplay fans might like in case the eclectic mix wasnt to peoples taste)

Elliot Smith - Between The Bars

(Well spotted again, great song)

Friday Club - Tropical

(Finnish with another unsigned Birmingham band, one of my favorite tracks of the year)

Can download it here...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnt3ojrhbew2uad/Mixtape%20for%20Prince%20Myshkin

Thanks for the playlist!

Of the new Bloc Party album I have only heard the lead single but I did like it. Felt like a return to form. If there are other songs like that then it should be well worth a listen. Whilst I loved their guitar led tracks, as found in their first album, it's nice to see they are capable of branching out too.

Plenty of obscure stuff to discover! Nice to get one with so many things I'd never heard.

Here's my mixtape review! My tape was called "Habitual Falling"....not sure where the inspiration for that title came from, but it's still pretty clever.

(warning: the review is kind of long)

Hi, I'm William and I made your tape :) the title comes from the lyrics of the first track.

Track 1: Starts with little guitar/piano twangs, then the actual song starts. There's a random explosion of all the instruments at once – not that this is bad, mind you! I really like the piano and vocals in this one. Actually, I just really like the song in general, but the VOCALS ahhhh. There are a lot of different sections to this piece, which I liked – aside from the autotune at the end, anyway. I'd love to know who this artist is - this song is really good!

This is Volcano Choir which is a side project of Justin Vernon from Bon Iver. I acutally love his use of autotune, more people should use it like he does. The song is called Comrade and comes from their record Repave which just came out like a month ago. Worth a listen if you're a fan of his.

Track 2: Okay the beginning of this song threw me off at first, but as soon as the song actually started, I started liking it more. I think this is Editors - the guy singing certainly has a deep enough voice. :P (And the guitarist sounds typical of The Back Room-era stuff). If this Editors, I'm surprised about the direction that they went in after the first album – a quiet song? All that said, though, this is a really good song - not as quite as good as the first one, but it's close. (EDIT: On second listen...this isn't Editors. What was I thinking?)

Don't know about quiet? Nope, not Editors, this is one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands, Little Faith by The National.

Track 3: A folk guitar song, with a female singer. I don't really like her voice much, to be honest – I can't really explain why, but her voice is kind of nasally and too whiny for my tastes. The guitar is really good, though, enough so that I can ignore the singer's voice. :P

I find it to be personal, but I get why you wouldn't like it. This is a Vermont musician called Anaïs Mitchell.

Track 4: A mostly-guitar track, kind of Snow Patrol-ish (a compliment coming from me). I'm pretty confident that this is Biffy Clyro – I can hear the singer's accent dripping through and through. The guitar on this is really strong - whoever the guitar player is, they know what they're doing. My tastes are kind of diverging from this kind of music, but this is an excellent song.

Do you play guitar? :tongue: I went through your last.fm and felt pretty sure you'd like this. Not Biffy Clyro, but they are scottish. Frightened Rabbit - "Backyard Skulls".

Track 5: Another mostly-guitar song with a female singer, this one who I like much, much more. The singer is much more soothing than the one on the third track. This song is really beautiful, actually – might be my favorite of this tape. I'm not at all familiar with female singers with guitars, but I have a feeling that this singer is either Feist or Fiona Apple. (I'm probably wrong on this one, but oh well.)

Feist is a pretty good comparison, but it's Sharon Van Etten. The song is called Give Out, and the guitar player may be Aaron Dessner from The National. He produced the album (Tramp), at least.

Track 6: A very sparse song with basically just a steady drum beat, with a little bit of piano and what I think is a synth later on. Oh, and also a saxophone. The singer on this one sounds like a classical country singer, but the song is completely at odds with that – it's almost a jazz song. The lyrics are a lot clearer in this song, and while I'm not usually one to pay attention to lyrics, it was sort of difficult not to hear the “I love you and you love me, and there's no fruit hanging on the old fruit tree” line. If I ever need a song to relax to, it might be this one - so calming.

*new fruit :tongue: and don't forget the bass! The lyrics and harmonies are the main part of Sam Beam's music, to me at least. Iron & Wine - "Low Light Buddy of Mine" from Ghost on Ghost.

Track 7: Honky tonk piano! This song makes me want to go and take a roadtrip to somewhere in the Midwest, as weird as that sounds. Too young and thoughtless to calm your memoriessss. About four minutes in, the song slows down quite a lot, and it suddenly feels a lot more serious, but I love this part of the song. This entire song is really nice, although I do prefer the end a bit to the beginning. *bobs head up and down to the drum beat*

I think he's just playing a regular piano really hard, but I could be wrong. Grizzly Bear, a band from Brooklyn, with "A Simple Answer". Shields was my favorite record from last year.

Track 8: Instrumental song, with piano blended together. Okay, this is definitely mellow jazz – the piano and drum beats kind of give it away. I don't usually like jazz much, if at all, but I really like this – it's not in your face at all, and it's actually really calming and relaxing. There's a bit of amplified guitar near the end, and something that sounds like a violin at the very end, which I really liked. Maybe I'll try to get into this type of music more now that it's not as bad as I thought it was. :P

You should give jazz more of a chance then! It's not all atonal saxophone solos. This is pretty modern, from 2003. The violin is actually the bass player playing with bow, which I think is pretty cool. Esbjörn Svensson trio, or e.s.t., with "Elevation of Love". One of my favorite pianists, and a big influence on my playing.

Track 9: Ahh, now this is the a really good song. I actually thought this was an instrumental at first – the lyrics didn't start until about a minute in. The singer's voice is really light and soaring, which fits well with the folksy guitar and violin in the background. I'm kind of a sucker for songs with prominent violin parts, but dang, I love these strings. This is probably my favorite song on this tape – it's just really calm and relaxed. Just, wow. I can't wait to find out who this artist is.

I only discovered this on pitchfork a month ago or so. It's a Boston band called Mutual Benefit (the song is Advanced Falconry) who just released their debut album, Love's Crushing Diamond. You should definitely check it out.

Track 10: Okay, this reminds me of the Smiths a lot – it's probably not them, but something about this song just feels like an 80's mellow indie song. This song was fairly meh for me though, sorry. :\ It's not that it was bad, it just doesn't stand out much compared some of the other songs on this mixtape - and something about the singer's voice just puts me a little bit off. That being said, this is still a nice song, and the violin is really great.

More scottish music: Belle and Sebastian - "Like Dylan in the Movies". From If You're Feeling Sinister, which is a classic. 1996, I think.

Track 11: More upbeat than the last three songs, this song has a steady guitar beat (for lack of a better word) throughout it that I really like. The little sections where the singer was talking instead of actually singing are not something I usually hear – A+ for choosing something that's not all that common! I didn't absolutely love this song, but it's definitely something I would listen to again. Very nice song! (EDIT: As I listen to this song more, I like it more and more...so yeah. It's really good.)

Okkervil River - "Down Down the Deep River". A big fan of the kind of 80's sound they used for this album.

Track 12: Another mellow song, this one with a female singer and a piano (and MOAR VIOLIN AHH). God, I love this singer's voice – she's got such a range, and it's obvious how talented she is almost immediately. The piano is just...wow. I love pretty much any song with prominent piano, but this tops average piano usage. This is such a great song overall. You're more than a superstar, indeed. Definitely a favorite of this mixtape.

I've listened to this on a regular basis for a few months now. Strong song. Bat For Lashes - "Laura".

Track 13: Yet another quiet song, but now with a guy singer. Who also has an amazing voice. God, this is just...so good. I don't know how to put my thoughts into words here. I think the lyrics are about someone getting married and then the relationship falling through, from what I could hear (as usual, I'm probably wrong), but that doesn't even matter to me. A+ wow such good.

Also one of my favorite bands, and favorite lyricists in Guy Garvey. Elbow - "Great Expectations", one of their strongest songs.

Track 14: Okay, this is definitely a departure from the last few mellow songs. It sounds like there was a lot of Indian influence on this song – I don't really know how to explain why, but there are definitely a lot of horns. This almost feels like something from a detective movie, to be honest. I don't really like this song much – the really slow horns and buzzing noises are throwing me off. (EDIT: not throwing me off as much on 2nd listen, but I still don't like this song much). This song sticks out like a sore thumb to me, and not in a good way. :/ Maybe on a different mixtape, I could have appreciated this more, but as this is a fairly "alternative rock" type of mixtape, this song just doesn't really work.

I'd say it's fairly alternative rock. Kind of oriental with the saxophone riff, maybe. This is Jim James of My Morning Jacket, an americana band, with "All Is Forgiven" from his solo album. I love the way the song is built up with all the layers and goes all out.

Track 15: Andddd last song, another mellow guitar song. Nice touch with the first line of lyrics being, “It's never easy to say goodbye to the faces.” :P This is a really nice song - the only thing that I don't really like is the singer, probably because it seems like he's talking more than singing. This was a very nice song to end the mixtape with, though - very calming.

Bill Callahan - "Riding for the Feeling". He has a very interesting way of speaking and singing which I admire. This felt like a natural final track to me.

Overall, this mixtape was really good. There were definitely some flaws – what the heck was track 14? - but I really like a lot of the songs on here. I literally have no idea who any of the artists are, save for Biffy Clyro, so you definitely did a good job in including music that I haven't heard before. :nice:

Track 14 is amazing :phu: Glad you enjoyed it otherwise.

Thanks, to whoever made my tape!

You're very welcome, thanks for taking the time to write a more long and thorough review! Hopefully you'll have discovered some new music. Here's the traclist:

Habitual Falling

1. Volcano Choir - "Comrade" (Repave, 2013)

2. The National - "Little Faith" (High Violet, 2010)

3. Anaïs Mitchell - "Dyin' Day" (Young Man in America, 2012)

4. Frightened Rabbit - "Backyard Skulls" (Pedestrian Verse, 2013)

5. Sharon Van Etten - "Give Out" (Tramp, 2012)

6. Iron & Wine - "Low Light Buddy of Mine" (Ghost on Ghost, 2013)

7. Grizzly Bear - "A Simple Answer" (Shields, 2012)

8. e.s.t. - "Elevation of Love" (Seven Days of Falling, 2003)

9. Mutual Benefit - "Advanced Falconry" (Love's Crushing Diamond, 2013)

10. Belle & Sebastian - "Like Dylan in the Movies" (If You're Feeling Sinister, 1996)

11. Okkervil River - "Down Down the Deep River" (The Silver Gymnasium, 2013)

12. Bat for Lashes - "Laura" (The Haunted Man, 2012)

13. Elbow - "Great Expectations" (Leaders of the Free World, 2005)

14. Jim James - "All is Forgiven" (Regions of Light and Sound of God, 2013)

15. Bill Callahan - "Riding for the Feeling" (Apocalypse, 2010)

...wow, how did I not recognize Vernon's voice? :wtf: I just started getting into Bon Iver, but his voice is pretty recognizable...oh well.

Not what I was expecting from the National...I guess I should actually finally listen to them :P

And no, I don't play guitar, though I started teaching myself how to play at one point. (I used to play the piano, though, which is part of the reason I love piano songs so much.)

EDIT: http://www.sendspace.com/file/h9fcdf is the link, for anyone who wants it!

^Great tape...would you mind posting a download link?

EDIT: I just realized that in my first tape I also included Okkervil River and Belle and Sebastian...I think we are probably spiritually connected :p

Yeah, that's probably it :nod: I'll send you the link

edit: ah, nevermind. Yes, go and listen to The National!

Hi, I'm William and I made your tape :) the title comes from the lyrics of the first track.

This is Volcano Choir which is a side project of Justin Vernon from Bon Iver. I acutally love his use of autotune, more people should use it like he does. The song is called Comrade and comes from their record Repave which just came out like a month ago. Worth a listen if you're a fan of his.

Don't know about quiet? Nope, not Editors, this is one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands, Little Faith by The National.

I find it to be personal, but I get why you wouldn't like it. This is a Vermont musician called Anaïs Mitchell.

Do you play guitar? :tongue: I went through your last.fm and felt pretty sure you'd like this. Not Biffy Clyro, but they are scottish. Frightened Rabbit - "Backyard Skulls".

Feist is a pretty good comparison, but it's Sharon Van Etten. The song is called Give Out, and the guitar player may be Aaron Dessner from The National. He produced the album (Tramp), at least.

*new fruit :tongue: and don't forget the bass! The lyrics and harmonies are the main part of Sam Beam's music, to me at least. Iron & Wine - "Low Light Buddy of Mine" from Ghost on Ghost.

I think he's just playing a regular piano really hard, but I could be wrong. Grizzly Bear, a band from Brooklyn, with "A Simple Answer". Shields was my favorite record from last year.

You should give jazz more of a chance then! It's not all atonal saxophone solos. This is pretty modern, from 2003. The violin is actually the bass player playing with bow, which I think is pretty cool. Esbjörn Svensson trio, or e.s.t., with "Elevation of Love". One of my favorite pianists, and a big influence on my playing.

I only discovered this on pitchfork a month ago or so. It's a Boston band called Mutual Benefit (the song is Advanced Falconry) who just released their debut album, Love's Crushing Diamond. You should definitely check it out.

More scottish music: Belle and Sebastian - "Like Dylan in the Movies". From If You're Feeling Sinister, which is a classic. 1996, I think.

Okkervil River - "Down Down the Deep River". A big fan of the kind of 80's sound they used for this album.

I've listened to this on a regular basis for a few months now. Strong song. Bat For Lashes - "Laura".

Also one of my favorite bands, and favorite lyricists in Guy Garvey. Elbow - "Great Expectations", one of their strongest songs.

I'd say it's fairly alternative rock. Kind of oriental with the saxophone riff, maybe. This is Jim James of My Morning Jacket, an americana band, with "All Is Forgiven" from his solo album. I love the way the song is built up with all the layers and goes all out.

Bill Callahan - "Riding for the Feeling". He has a very interesting way of speaking and singing which I admire. This felt like a natural final track to me.

Track 14 is amazing :phu: Glad you enjoyed it otherwise.

You're very welcome, thanks for taking the time to write a more long and thorough review! Hopefully you'll have discovered some new music. Here's the traclist:

Habitual Shaking

1. Volcano Choir - "Comrade" (Repave, 2013)

2. The National - "Little Faith" (High Violet, 2010)

3. Anaïs Mitchell - "Dyin' Day" (Young Man in America, 2012)

4. Frightened Rabbit - "Backyard Skulls" (Pedestrian Verse, 2013)

5. Sharon Van Etten - "Give Out" (Tramp, 2012)

6. Iron & Wine - "Low Light Buddy of Mine" (Ghost on Ghost, 2013)

7. Grizzly Bear - "A Simple Answer" (Shields, 2012)

8. e.s.t. - "Elevation of Love" (Seven Days of Falling, 2003)

9. Mutual Benefit - "Advanced Falconry" (Love's Crushing Diamond, 2013)

10. Belle & Sebastian - "Like Dylan in the Movies" (If You're Feeling Sinister, 1996)

11. Okkervil River - "Down Down the Deep River" (The Silver Gymnasium, 2013)

12. Bat for Lashes - "Laura" (The Haunted Man, 2012)

13. Elbow - "Great Expectations" (Leaders of the Free World, 2005)

14. Jim James - "All is Forgiven" (Regions of Light and Sound of God, 2013)

15. Bill Callahan - "Riding for the Feeling" (Apocalypse, 2010)

Awesome tape, mind posting a link? :wacky:

EDIT: Oh, AJ posted it, thanks!

Thanks for the playlist!

Of the new Bloc Party album I have only heard the lead single but I did like it. Felt like a return to form. If there are other songs like that then it should be well worth a listen. Whilst I loved their guitar led tracks, as found in their first album, it's nice to see they are capable of branching out too.

Plenty of obscure stuff to discover! Nice to get one with so many things I'd never heard.

Id say the Four album is more like that single (Octopus) than 'The Healing', but there is a couple you may like that go back to the older Bloc Party, Id suggest 'So He Begins To Lie' and 'V.A.L.I.S'.

If you haven't heard a lot of Bombay Bicycle Club before then they really sound like a band you'd like.

I hope my playlist come soon! as much as i like hearing about everyone else's.