✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mixtape Exchange #16 [Mixtapes due 25/11]

Cyan Kat

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay then.

The tape I received is titled “Sedna: The Movie” and begins with the Warner Bros. horns theme.

First, that is awesome. Secondly, I am made instantly curious as to how far this movie theme stretches out. More credit is due for the fact that the tape came with cover art.

attachment.php?attachmentid=30437&stc=1&d=1385621280

It's also divided into 6 audio files with somewhat cinematic titles, some of which contain various tracks neatly mixed together (I was even provided with a file that has the whole tape on one track). Thus, the WB theme cleanly merges seamlessly into soft, dissonant, ominous piano chords, and then into a rustling noise that I suspect is loose film whirring around a movie reel. This part ends segment 1, titled Start Movie. Just over a minute long, but already I’m really fascinated and on toes for what will come next (btw the maker listed their screenname plainly as the artist for each track, but I don’t see any reason to spell it out now).

Engagement:

Rythmically ascending piano chords, and a warm, high chorus of almost Japanese sounding female voices. The lead voice, however is in English and (lacking patience to search for adjectives) is quite enjoyable. Glockenspiel and drums join later. Lyrics seem to describe some romantic interest, but is at the same time a bit surreal. The tempo picks up, and her voice surges and screeches (enjoyably) all over the place. I must know more about who this. Tempo resolves into thickly textured keyboard, which eventually finds outlet into soft, minor key electric keyboard arpeggios.

This new female voice is delightfully weird, strange, and childish in the same way that Joanna Newsom’s is. Perhaps it is Newsom, but I don’t know enough of her Oeuvre to guess confidently. Hmm…I can make out sounds that are harpish, so I’ll go ahead and make that my guess. I love the haunting, churning melody and percussion here.

Father Regrets:

A lo-fi crunching sound with distant bird calls (as though trodding through the woods) shoots directly into a dark, driving contemporary post-punk vibe complete with a deep voice going on about demons and devils threatening to conquer. Sort of a Horrors or Editors vibe, sans synth. Haven’t listened to a song quite like this for a while, so I feel latently nostalgic toward semi-distorted guitar timbres, particularly during the bridge. Solid fare. Thanks! The final few seconds returns to the woody forest trodding and birds from before.

Waves:

Clean electric guitar arpeggios with the reverb cranked up. Enter percussion. Groovy so far. Female voice sweeps in a few notes at a time, and the chorus dissolves into more atmospheric intensity apropos to the title. I dig this. Probably most keen on figuring out who’s behind this gauzy echo box than any track so far. A return to the refrain after the second chorus, keeps running into a nice fade out of yearning vocal. Transition of more soupiness, samples, a strangely distorted keyboard effect, and a bit of the birds motif once again. I really like how this theme keeps appearing. Now a chorus of voices and keyboards falls into a mellow synth, soft drums and a reassuring, melancholic male voice. A soft bass accompaniment nicely accents with what began low, but builds into a falsetto ballad somewhat reminiscent of Justin Vernon’s pop efforts. Beautifully produced this one (choruses and vibrating keyboards return, as does the film reel sample). Thank ya kindly.

Ghost:

The crunching loop segs perfectly into a rhythmic acoustic rhythm and a shiny keyboard melody (occasional glissando of some instrument). Female voice that again I lack to the tools to describe (nice tho). I think I picked out the lyrics “Ghost of the forest.” I won’t cheat and look up these songs, but I think they would be telling with regard to these titles. Even without them though, the general feel has corresponded nicely. Ghostly is exactly how I would describe much of the music here. I like it. Audio of softly crashing waves marks the transition.

Peace:

Steady violin swells maintain the feel of the waves while soft electronic keyboard bips and bops lead into an angelic chorus (been quite a few of those on this tape) with an only partially distinguishable lead voice. Gauzy, cloudish vibe continues through a bit of piano and a return to strings, voice, and the waves again. A short, lovely interlude reminiscent of Hammock’s music sans guitar.

Drift:

Waves continue through the gap while a guitar plucks over more ghostly atmospherics. “Deep inside the silence, staring out upon the sea..” enters a young male voice with an second echoing voice. Drums enter, guitar tremolo builds. A remorseful romantic tune. Not as interested in this as previous songs. Maybe a bit soppy and snow patrolish, but still enjoyable. The repeated lyrics “drifting out…” is, again, fitting. As it fades into more guitar trills and reverbed arpeggios. There are those waves again... for a couple minutes it’s nothing but the same loop of crashing waves which is a touch I deeply enjoy. I’m reading the book, “The Sea, the Sea” by Iris Murdoch right now, and her character spends much of it contemplating this sound. Eventually crunching steps enter (the terrain feels different), more birds, but this time a male, british speaking voice. The man is unhappy, describing (as though speaking to himself) spiders, disgusting waves of dung, death rays etc. All accented by very low, dissonant piano chords. His talking overlaps with a sample of another british voice answering a phone. Then, a second of static, and the tape is done.

If one were to narrativize this tape like a film, it would be something bizarre. The more I reflect on it, the more I love that the sample motifs lying beneath a mostly consonant surface eventually emerge to form something unsettling and incomplete.

Thanks so much again for the tape! I must applaud you for the creativity, imagination and extra production effort involved in going along with the theme…theme. I truly enjoyed the music (I’m most interested in learning about the songs from Engagement and Waves), and will not forget this tape anytime soon, as it really stands out among the others I’ve received. I always listen at least 3 times before writing a review, and I didn’t grow bored at any point. There’s surely a story behind each track, so don’t skimp on details. Thanks again for everything! :D

i got my mixtape and just typed what i thought in the first listen sorry lmao but i'm listening to it again and sorry that i type like a 12 year old

1. the second this song came on i was like eyy this sounds cool and i love the sample dialogue it reminds me of a song i put on my tape too and the groove is chill i dig it :daisy:

2. i recognized that this is The Knife but i havent heard that much of them yet but i really do like them, cool track i l0ve this :heart:

3. the beat in this song is kind of all over the place but in a good way like u don't know whats next and the vocals remind me of the beach boys and i love the beach boys who is this i love this too heck i am excited this mixtape is the bOMB :cool:

4. this songs alright. its p chill i'll give this a :)

5. i like the girls vocals its very chill and i like to use chill a lot but its nice like bike riding to the beach

6. hehe i know this is from Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna... but i forget the title Fr*ck its probably some long title with weird words they always use. still i love this song *jammin* :nice:

7. this song is ok i like the loop at the end that was cool

8. i feel like i know who this is by the voice or i have no idea lmao its alright kinda folky rock but i guess i was getting excited for more electronic and bleep bloops

9. see now i KNOW WHO THIS IS but i can't remember its going to drive me insane who it is but i like this song i dig it heres a daisy :daisy: the chorus is cute and i wanna dance

10. this track is cool too i wanna sing in a campfire in the woods and have smores with the band/guy he probably has a beard and a broken heart </3 hang in there guy/band :cry:

11. this diddy is sweet and nice and i also suspect he has some kind of beard

12. i know this song too fri*ck or i heard the riff somewhere OHH SHIT ok i know its Miike Snow but yeh this song is c00l its catchy

13. this song is o.k idk it sounds like it would be in a christmas commercial for a verizon phone or very coldplay like im sort of not into this kind of music anymore even tho i said i like all kind of music sorry i LIED

still tho very enjoyable mixtape, it had a lot of variety altho the beggining was more bleep bloop and heavy beats and i was like ChyEah!!! and then it went to a more rock/piano/guitar based tunes which is ok but i was excited for the first part a bit more

i'll be sure to check out my fav tracks from this mixtape and tbh i have no idea who made my mixtape altho around the first half i was thinking maybe it was Fran? (Alien Radio) but it could be anyone :heart:

To my mixtape maker:

You have hit the nail in the head with this mixtape. I wanted to let you know that I have heard it, and that I really like it, and that I will do a good review once I get enough time to sit down and write it. Sorry for not writting it right now. I am busy with a new job, and too exhausted to use a computer afterwards.

Thank you!! :awesome:

i got my mixtape and just typed what i thought in the first listen sorry lmao but i'm listening to it again and sorry that i type like a 12 year old

1. the second this song came on i was like eyy this sounds cool and i love the sample dialogue it reminds me of a song i put on my tape too and the groove is chill i dig it :daisy:

2. i recognized that this is The Knife but i havent heard that much of them yet but i really do like them, cool track i l0ve this :heart:

3. the beat in this song is kind of all over the place but in a good way like u don't know whats next and the vocals remind me of the beach boys and i love the beach boys who is this i love this too heck i am excited this mixtape is the bOMB :cool:

5. i like the girls vocals its very chill and i like to use chill a lot but its nice like bike riding to the beach

6. hehe i know this is from Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna... but i forget the title Fr*ck its probably some long title with weird words they always use. still i love this song *jammin* :nice:

8. i feel like i know who this is by the voice or i have no idea lmao its alright kinda folky rock but i guess i was getting excited for more electronic and bleep bloops

9. see now i KNOW WHO THIS IS but i can't remember its going to drive me insane who it is but i like this song i dig it heres a daisy :daisy: the chorus is cute and i wanna dance

10. this track is cool too i wanna sing in a campfire in the woods and have smores with the band/guy he probably has a beard and a broken heart </3 hang in there guy/band :cry:

12. i know this song too fri*ck or i heard the riff somewhere OHH SHIT ok i know its Miike Snow but yeh this song is c00l its catchy

13. this song is o.k idk it sounds like it would be in a christmas commercial for a verizon phone or very coldplay like im sort of not into this kind of music anymore even tho i said i like all kind of music sorry i LIED

still tho very enjoyable mixtape, it had a lot of variety altho the beggining was more bleep bloop and heavy beats and i was like ChyEah!!! and then it went to a more rock/piano/guitar based tunes which is ok but i was excited for the first part a bit more

i'll be sure to check out my fav tracks from this mixtape and tbh i have no idea who made my mixtape altho around the first half i was thinking maybe it was Fran? (Alien Radio) but it could be anyone :heart:

Hi Anette, you got it right, I was your mixtape maker :D I'll put my comments in a spoiler

bwhahaha nope. but actually, while reading your review, i was thinking "this sounds like something i would make".

btw, i almost put juan son on my tape. almost. :heart:

I love the dialogue too! "Say hello to my new best friend: wine". The moment I heard this song, I knew I had to put it in a mix tape (thank you for screwing the way I think, coldplaying). Dex Dubious put this track together, and it is called Bubbles in the Wine :)

I love The Knife. If I am not mistaken you have heard this song once before. It is called Marble House. So far, I have liked every song from this band, so I had to put them here :)

This is Discovery :) I had to decide between Osaka Loop Line or this one, So Insane. This is another band that I like the more I hear their songs.

Scissor Paper Rock, from Architecture in Helsinki. If you liked the first songs I put in the mix tape, then you would definitively like AIH. I decided to put a calmed one here for the sake of the transition, but the ones I like the most from them are Heart It Races, In The Future, or Do The Whirlwind, for example. It is worth a check out in my opinion :)

Too Wild, from Love Inks. I have not heard much from this band, but I fell in love with this song the minute I heard it, so it had to be put here.

According to your last.fm you heard it 5 times lol so I decided to put it here, just because it is another of those bands I am getting really into. A Sentence Of Sorts In Kongsvilnger, like you said, a long title with weird words :)

The Flaming Lips, Fight Test. I wanted to put Yoshimi Fights The Pink Robots P.1, but went for this one. I really enjoy listening to this one :)

This is actually a live version of the song :) this is Lost Lander, and the song is Dig (How It Feels To Lay In The Soft Light) this is where I started to leave the beepy sounds and went for more rocky songs.

I had the exact same reaction when I heard this song lol This are The Vaccines, and the song is I Always Knew :) if you enjoyed it you should check out If You Wanna, Post Break Up Sex, and No Hope, those are, so far, my favourite ones :)

Jajaja! This is Tip Of The Tongue, by The Donnis Trio. They do have beards, small ones though. I am still discovering them, but I really like them so far.

Lol yes, he has a beard. This is Radical Face, and the song is Severus And Stone. I actually started listening to them thanks to mix tapes I have received before, and I like it so much. Let The River In and Glory are my favourite from him :)

Jajaja yes, Miike Snow, and the song is Song For No One. He has some great songs, so I figured I would be a good idea to have him here :)

Jaja! Yes, this is the slowest song. It is Lesser Things from Barcelona. I wanted to put enough different songs here, so this was the slower one, therefore the closer.

Hi Annette! I made your mix tape :) I am glad to hear you liked it! This time I kept the mix tape short, but wanted to put enough good bands in there, so 13 songs were the end result. Originally I was going to finish with the songs that you heard at the beginning, but I did not want the opening to be too slow, so I decided to start with the electronicky ones, go for the rocky ones, and finish with the slow ones.

Making the mix tape for you was kind of tricky, I crept around your last fm to make sure you either had not heard the band, or if you had, that you had not heard the song that much, so I am actually glad that you did not know any of the song's names.

Full track list.

1. Bubbles In The Wine -Dex Dubious

2. Marble House -The Knife

3. So Insane -Discovery

4. Scissor Paper Rock -Architecture In Helsinki-

5. Too Wild -Love Inks

6. A Sentence Of Sorts In Kongsvilnger -Of Montreal

7. Fight Test -The Flaming Lips

8. Dig (How It Feels To Lay In The Soft Light) -Lost Lander

9. I Always Knew -The Vaccines

10. Tip Of The Tongue -The Donnis Trio

11. Severus And Stone -Radical Face

12. Song For No One -Miike Snow

13. Lesser Things -Barcelona

https://mega.co.nz/#!8cFn2CyR!O89M-SOzRwcH7Tv9TYmk5z1KLI1GndQXP3UQ5T3FVj8

Here is my review of my mixtape:

First of all props for getting it all right with deleting the song infos (except for two). Already a point for production skills ;)

1. First track makes me quite excited about the mixtape, because it is both (a) totally unknown to me, (b) a bit outside my normal territory but © still a great track! Perfect mixtape essence. The track itself is quite dreamy and relaxed, an instrumental.

2. Yeah! That was literally my first reaction when the shakers and the funky baseline set in :D . Sexy groove, some hints of pop but a very distinct voice. A bit in the folky territory with the instrumentation.

3. I’m not sure about the bass sound (incredible nitpicking), but a really relaxed atmosphere. Reminds me a bit of the first track in terms of the vibe. Especially the kinda psychedelic guitar floating around there somewhere and the voice with the „I’m in love again“ in the chorus are good, and I mean really good.

4. Female voice and guitar (or ukulele or even a harp), but what sounds like your average acoustic-youtube-cover is definitely more intriguing. The singer seems to have quite some effects on her voice, making it sound like a bad recording, until the end reveals it to actually be a live recording (you can hear applause). Or not? I’m confused. There’s also an interesting beat under there, which could even be beatboxed. And then there are really deep basses, James Blake style (sung or synth?). So Florence Welch meets dub-things? Not a first listen love, but I guess this is going to be the song that takes a while until it one day just clicks. Waiting for that.

5. Here it gets quite weird. At times seemingly dissonant, the song features a prominent foreign instrument with constant strumming and some interesting female voice things. Quite reverby and dreamy, with some textures bubbling in the background.

6. Lo-Fi is probably the best way to describe this song. Bare bones would be another appropriate term. I personally am reminded of John Frusciante’s drug records, some not always in key singing of „Why don’t I kill myself?“. That was definitely the hardest one on the first listens. I guess it could be actually quite emotional, but I can only guess from sound until I actually read the lyrics.

7. I’d put track 7 into the folk-ballad category. It mostly features a male voice and an acoustic guitar, accompanied by some other instruments. Here again I’m missing the lyrics which makes this another “wait-until-you-know-what-the-track-is-about” song.

8. This one still has the infos in so that I recognize Fuck Buttons as the artist. I don’t know much about them and have only recently heard of them, but this one makes me think I should definitely listen more to them. Quite noisy, with an aggressive bass sound and repetitive drums; I really like it, especially the way it somehow builds up and then down again. It brings a nice contrast to the slower and quieter songs before.

9. This one has again strummed guitars, with some nice guitar lines. Drums come in later as well, making this one (apart from the Fuck Buttons track of course :D ) one of the louder songs on the tape.

10. Track 10 is more rock-like, and I probably seem quite ignorant (last time I dismissed David Bowie or something like that :D ), but I don’t feel very much about this song. Maybe I’m too young (the “oldest” music I listen to is mostly mid-2000s :D ), but I don’t find very much to say except nice, but for me forgettable track.

11. This one seems to be “Different Pulses” by Asaf Avidan, and it makes all that up what I . Groovy drums, a quite unusual voice (I didn’t understand a single word) and some nice melodies make me really enjoy this track.

12. This one feels quite soft, a male voice and an acoustic begin the song and are later joined by drums, strings and piano. Not really sold on the beginning, but the addition of the piano and strings really carry the song for me. Still I’d guess that this track is older, the drums sound really 60s/70s (now waiting to hear how wrong that guess is :D ).

13. A really nice ending, again acoustic guitar driven, but with a more hopeful tone than some of the tracks before. And “I hope you never die, there’s no need to say why, just promise that you try” are the last words on the mix which is both memorable and lovely. Good ending!

Overall there some quite interesting things in here (really intrigued by 2,3,11 and 6, just because it is so weird), but for the next time I’d just wish for some fewer acoustic guitars :D But still a big thank you for every bit of time and effort you put in here, the first good Christmas present this year :)

And here is my answer to Jonny and the cakes review of my mixtape:

I'm in love with whoever made my mixtape, really loved the album covers and the note you left me!

1. Track: Intro/Welcome. I really like this kind of ambient/electronic music, I started listening to this type music this summer and is slowly becoming more and more important for me, but I'm really ignorant of this whole new genre, so listening to artists that make this kind of music is always a new found for me. I really like the instrumental of this song, a little less the voice but it fits the song.

This guys are pals of James Blake and named Mount Kimbie. They’ve already got two albums out and this one is from Could Spring Fault Less Youth, their second album. I quite like them, but am also just starting out in this music scene.

2. Track: Sweet. The bassline and guitar reminds me a little bit of Foals but the production seems different from their stuff, the voice seems to me Ezra Koenig but it's not his kind of lyrics i guess. It's really an enjoyble song but not my kind of music, like, the lyrics don't tell me something that makes me feel different. I really like that low point at around 2:50. The lenght of this song is right for it, if it would have been a little bit longer it would have gotten boring and repetitive for me.

It’s like Foals in a bit poppier and funkier :D They are called the 1975; I haven’t got much out of their record but this song stuck with me, just because I really like funky guitar lines.

3. Track: I Thought You Were Australian. Oooooh the beat got me since the very first second, really, really, really like it, I love how the singer used his voice as an instrument that fills the song, his voice is perfect for this kind of music and I love remixes where the voice is cutted and repeated like that. It's one of those songs that makes me close my eyes and dance like Thom Yorke. I really love the end, those strings and sax(i guess?) were completely unexpected and I love when a song surprises me.

The title for this track comes from the fact that I first heard the artist (Bonobo) on Australia’s triple j radio and just assumed he was some upcoming guy from over there. Found out later that he’s got like five albums out and lives in London. Oops :D . I don’t even know whose voice it is you can hear on the track, he doesn’t really sing himself but features some amazing guests on his records (Erykah Badu is on one of his songs). This one is from his really awesome “The North Borders” record from earlier this year. I was also quite impressed how amazing he sounds live, he plays them with a real band and it sounds as amazing as on the record.

Bonus tip: He just put together a compilation of his influences for Late Night Tales, a bit more outlandish with things from rock to jazz and strings, but has already reached iTunes Dance #1 with it. Hurray for interesting music! (Haven’t heard it myself but really excited for it on Christmas :) ).

4. Track: Summer. Really summer-ish song(hence the name), I love it, the voice, the guitar, bass and drums. But unfortunately I listened to it in a mood where this wasn't the right feeling i wanted to express through music, but I listened to it while going to school in my fathers car and really chilled me down and made me really happy despite the grey sky!

I have absolutely no idea where I first heard this track, but immediately had to save it to remember it. I don’t know anything more about the language or singer than you may, but just loved the chorus.

5. Track: Just Enjoy The Ride: Another song that got me from the first second, i love how when he sings the music gets heavier, I love how the second guitar in the background repeats the same riff over and over. I really love how the song lets the guitars speak for it. I'm really looking forward for the song next to this one in it's original album, because of that strange outro.

The title is a pun on the album’s name “This is a very long drive for someone with nothing to think about” (or something like that). They are called Modest Mouse and definitely an interesting band to check out.

6. Track: Jazztown. Damn I'm Ignorant in this genre of music, i heard this voice before but i'm going to make names because i might just say silly things. The only thing that bothers me is that the volume of the voice is way too high and doesn't let me enjoy the instrumental.

Now I’ve put a jazz track on both my last tapes and each was received quite nicely. Coldplayers are way more awesome than any probably gives them credit for :)

7. Track: Honeymoon. Mmm I don't like the production of this song, some sounds are too loud, almost bothering my ears. I don't have really everything to say about this song, it left me with a feeling of "meh"

If you don’t like this track, I’d still recommend checking out the record label that put this album out: Ghostly International. They are constantly releasing great electronic music that is less dance-oriented than some of their peers. Plus their logo is just cute :)

8. Track: Overcome. I like it, a cool song, maybe nothing special, but i like the chorus, and the way he sings, i don't know why but it reminds me of Damon Albarn in his Gorillaz days.

It’s Portugal. The Man, watched one of their sessions for KEXP and then read that the singer actually suffers from social anxiety, which is probably one of the worst things to happen to a front man in the music business, but they still do tours and TV and all that. So an inspiration on top of the nice music they make.

9. Track: The Nuclear Song. I hate this kind of music, full of noises and not a proper beat to "follow". I didn't like it, i tried to find something i did enjoy in it but no luck.

The mayhem track on here. The name is a pun on their name “Melt Yourself Down” and I sometimes just like noise :D .

10. Track: My Guitar Has Effects. The title made me laugh! I love the voice, i think i heard it before, it reminds me of the nice and old Lou Reed. Relaxing song to listen to on a summer day

Well then you can relax for quite a long time. I actually cut down this song from it’s original length of 9 minutes (that would have been quite much if you didn’t really like the song). It’s Kurt Vile and his Violators from his great 2013 record. I think of him as my American counterpart to the psychedelica of Tame Impala, although that is probably incorrect on any possible level. Quite some good albums under his belt, really worth looking for.

11. Track: Clarinet. Stunning, emotional intro, you can hear the man breathing while playing. Wow, stunning piece of music, a gem, 4 minutes went away like few seconds, I felt like i was in trance, it was so relaxing, i thing i'm going to use this in case I have trouble falling asleep. I should start listening to more of this genre of music but it's really hard to find something good on youtube without any name or example.

Well, the genre of this music is called “jazz”. :D But the track is a really exquisite and somehow atypical representant of it’s genre. If you want to find the original artist, it’s Brian Blade (he is such an amazingly sensitive drummer) & The Fellowship Band from their record “Seasons of Change”.

12. Track: Nothing. Really different song from the previous one, i like the instrumentals of it but i don't like the voice of the singer, love the part that starts around 02:10.

It’s a band called Everything Everything (really sorry for the song titles, suffered from a lack of imagination).

13. Track: An Apple, A Pear, A Plum Or A Cherry. Really strange music, but i like it cause it reminds me of italian/mediterranean music, so it felt like home I Think this is the Christmas song you were talking about??

Yes it is! The track is from probably one of my favourite “Christmas” records (it’s not really a christmas record). Sting (yes, that Sting :D ) recorded a few years ago an album called “If on a Winter’s Night” with some older songs about christmas, but mostly more about the season of winter. Because I love that season, I also love that record. A bit folky sometimes, but with interesting arrangements and some lesser known songs.

14. Track: I'm A Rapper, Mate: The way of using his voice reminds me of Marylin Manson but i'm sure it's not him! Strange song, i kind of enjoyed it especially from the 4th minute, i love the production of it.

The title here is a pun on the *artist* Ghostpoet. He doesn’t like it when people call him an “MC”, “singer” or “rapper” and always tweets about it :D . He’s quite mumbly, but makes some interesting music and also sometimes has cool guests (probably check out Dial Tones with Lucy Rose or Meltdown with Woodpecker Williams, both these songs have actual sung choruses).

15. Track: Let's Get Loud. I think I know the band/singer, but nothing comes to my mind right now. It gives me a feeling of something... shady... it gives me energy, I shoud use this song while drawing.

You may very well know this band, it’s called Bloc Party :D As already discussed here, it’s from their fourth record “Four” (which I think is really good, they gone really punky at some places), although they now have seemed to go on hiatus again (not the healthiest of band atmospheres it seems).

16. Track: Outro (Christmas Spirit). Great outro, now i feel like christmas is started for me too

I like it, just because it is short enough to not become boring. That album (“Funny Looking Angels”) was a collaboration between Tom Smith from the Editors (like them as a band (except their last album), but his voice is really deep and cool in an acoustic setting) and Andy Burrows (ex-Razorlight, now We Are Scientists and solo) to make a pop-acoustic record about Christmas. This song was originally intended to be sung, but I just like it the way it is.

Enjoyed it! And sorry if my music taste scared you!! Ahahah

Glad you liked it. Seems like there was actually something interesting for you in there, quite happy how it turned out. :)

Tracklist:

01 - Mount Kimbie - Home Recording

02 - The 1974 - Chocolate

03 - Bonobo - Emkay

04 - Fatoumata Diawara - Sowa

05 - Modest Mouse - Dramamine

06 - Gregory Porter - Hey Laura

07 - Gold Panda - Marriage

08 - Portugal. The Man - Modern Jesus

09 - Melt Yourself Down - Fix My Life

10 - Kurt Vile - Wakin On A Pretty Day

11 - Brian Blade & The Fellowship Band - Improvisation

12 - Everything Everything - Choice Mountain

13 - Sting - Soul Cake

14 - Ghostpoet - Comatose

15 - Bloc Party - Team A

16 - Smith & Burrows - Rosslyn

Hi Annette! I made your mix tape :) I am glad to hear you liked it! This time I kept the mix tape short, but wanted to put enough good bands in there, so 13 songs were the end result. Originally I was going to finish with the songs that you heard at the beginning, but I did not want the opening to be too slow, so I decided to start with the electronicky ones, go for the rocky ones, and finish with the slow ones.

Making the mix tape for you was kind of tricky, I crept around your last fm to make sure you either had not heard the band, or if you had, that you had not heard the song that much, so I am actually glad that you did not know any of the song's names.

Full track list.

1. Bubbles In The Wine -Dex Dubious

2. Marble House -The Knife

3. So Insane -Discovery

4. Scissor Paper Rock -Architecture In Helsinki-

5. Too Wild -Love Inks

6. A Sentence Of Sorts In Kongsvilnger -Of Montreal

7. Fight Test -The Flaming Lips

8. Dig (How It Feels To Lay In The Soft Light) -Lost Lander

9. I Always Knew -The Vaccines

10. Tip Of The Tongue -The Donnis Trio

11. Severus And Stone -Radical Face

12. Song For No One -Miike Snow

13. Lesser Things -Barcelona

https://mega.co.nz/#!8cFn2CyR!O89M-SOzRwcH7Tv9TYmk5z1KLI1GndQXP3UQ5T3FVj8

I have 900 artists on my last.fm but its usually one song for each band or something jeje, thank you again for the mixtape and i'll be sure to check these peeps out! :daisy:

Here is my review of my mixtape:

First of all props for getting it all right with deleting the song infos (except for two). Already a point for production skills ;)

1. First track makes me quite excited about the mixtape, because it is both (a) totally unknown to me, (b) a bit outside my normal territory but © still a great track! Perfect mixtape essence. The track itself is quite dreamy and relaxed, an instrumental.

2. Yeah! That was literally my first reaction when the shakers and the funky baseline set in :D . Sexy groove, some hints of pop but a very distinct voice. A bit in the folky territory with the instrumentation.

3. I’m not sure about the bass sound (incredible nitpicking), but a really relaxed atmosphere. Reminds me a bit of the first track in terms of the vibe. Especially the kinda psychedelic guitar floating around there somewhere and the voice with the „I’m in love again“ in the chorus are good, and I mean really good.

4. Female voice and guitar (or ukulele or even a harp), but what sounds like your average acoustic-youtube-cover is definitely more intriguing. The singer seems to have quite some effects on her voice, making it sound like a bad recording, until the end reveals it to actually be a live recording (you can hear applause). Or not? I’m confused. There’s also an interesting beat under there, which could even be beatboxed. And then there are really deep basses, James Blake style (sung or synth?). So Florence Welch meets dub-things? Not a first listen love, but I guess this is going to be the song that takes a while until it one day just clicks. Waiting for that.

5. Here it gets quite weird. At times seemingly dissonant, the song features a prominent foreign instrument with constant strumming and some interesting female voice things. Quite reverby and dreamy, with some textures bubbling in the background.

6. Lo-Fi is probably the best way to describe this song. Bare bones would be another appropriate term. I personally am reminded of John Frusciante’s drug records, some not always in key singing of „Why don’t I kill myself?“. That was definitely the hardest one on the first listens. I guess it could be actually quite emotional, but I can only guess from sound until I actually read the lyrics.

7. I’d put track 7 into the folk-ballad category. It mostly features a male voice and an acoustic guitar, accompanied by some other instruments. Here again I’m missing the lyrics which makes this another “wait-until-you-know-what-the-track-is-about” song.

8. This one still has the infos in so that I recognize Fuck Buttons as the artist. I don’t know much about them and have only recently heard of them, but this one makes me think I should definitely listen more to them. Quite noisy, with an aggressive bass sound and repetitive drums; I really like it, especially the way it somehow builds up and then down again. It brings a nice contrast to the slower and quieter songs before.

9. This one has again strummed guitars, with some nice guitar lines. Drums come in later as well, making this one (apart from the Fuck Buttons track of course :D ) one of the louder songs on the tape.

10. Track 10 is more rock-like, and I probably seem quite ignorant (last time I dismissed David Bowie or something like that :D ), but I don’t feel very much about this song. Maybe I’m too young (the “oldest” music I listen to is mostly mid-2000s :D ), but I don’t find very much to say except nice, but for me forgettable track.

11. This one seems to be “Different Pulses” by Asaf Avidan, and it makes all that up what I . Groovy drums, a quite unusual voice (I didn’t understand a single word) and some nice melodies make me really enjoy this track.

12. This one feels quite soft, a male voice and an acoustic begin the song and are later joined by drums, strings and piano. Not really sold on the beginning, but the addition of the piano and strings really carry the song for me. Still I’d guess that this track is older, the drums sound really 60s/70s (now waiting to hear how wrong that guess is :D ).

13. A really nice ending, again acoustic guitar driven, but with a more hopeful tone than some of the tracks before. And “I hope you never die, there’s no need to say why, just promise that you try” are the last words on the mix which is both memorable and lovely. Good ending!

Overall there some quite interesting things in here (really intrigued by 2,3,11 and 6, just because it is so weird), but for the next time I’d just wish for some fewer acoustic guitars :D But still a big thank you for every bit of time and effort you put in here, the first good Christmas present this year :)

Hello!

I was your mixtape partner. Glad you found a few things of interest. I never expect the person to like every song as I put a few different things in. You described the songs well, I thought.

Tracklist:

1, Deep Blue Day - Brian Eno

2, I Feel Just Like A Child - Devendra Banhart

3, Prototype (Live) - Tame Impala (cover of Outkast)

4, Turn Me On (Live) - CocoRosie (cover of Kevin Lyttle)

5, Hyper Oz - Chelsea Wolfe

6, Why, Without You - Daniel Johnston

7, Tonight A Knife - Bill Ryder-Jones

8, The Red Wing - Fuck Buttons

9, Evil Will Prevail - The Flaming Lips

10, Gimme Some Truth - John Lennon

11, Different Pulses - Asaf Avidan

12, Quicksand - David Bowie

13, Epitaph - Badly Drawn Boy

There was a very loose theme in the playlist. It was an attempt at organising the songs into a lifetime. It begins with the first moments of life after the original pain of birth [track one]. Then moving on to childhood [two] was the hardest section to find songs for and so I only stuck with one track that I really wanted in. After this we develop and interest in sex [three and four], before moving into the loneliness [five] of the first love you lose (and the possible over-reaction after it) [six]. Then you have the sobering of your over-reaction and acceptance that love can end [seven].

Moving on is then the determination to move on and hit your adolescence hard, letting the world see who you are, though lacking subtlety [eight]. Taking more notice of the world around you, you realise that so much of it is corrupt and it seems impossible to fight against all of that [nine], but a resurgence in a belief in what is right leads you to demand answers and try to challenge the status quo [ten]. (Looking back I put tracks eleven and twelve the wrong way around as it should be...) Nihilism often follows as you become aware of all the meaningless things that happen and that are held up as important (along with various other reasons [twelve]. Next sees further maturity and an appreciation of the world around you which is how you want it [eleven], followed by a desire to be around those who you love and a hopefulness regarding their well being [thirteen].

So, er, yeah. I kinda tried to have a theme. Not sure how much it worked, and it certainly wasn't something that could have been guessed.

Linky

https://mega.co.nz/#!dQ5GURYJ!OyWBSlt0iwqJicBD1Q50KCO_RWctQog084g3jOpPGao

My head just went *boom* with your answer :D

You can't imagine how interested I am now in finding out the lyrics and listen to it again with that theme in mind. That is a seriously awesome idea, not to mention how difficult is to capture "life" :)

And it seems a mixtape for me without a David Bowie track that I don't really get is not a mixtape.

to whoever made mine, thank you.

i feel bad for not posting anything on here for awhile, and not posting anything since i got it.

ive got it, and made a listen through, it sounded fantastic, but im going to listen to it again soon (i had it as background music the first time through) and then ill find time to post a decent review of it.... *drowns in homework*

To the person who made my tape: I have to be honest with you. I'm sorry, but I haven't had time to even think about your tape yet. This past week has been pretty hectic for me. My brother came in from college for Thanksgiving break, so I was spending time with him and the rest of my family until he left yesterday. As for today, I spent all day in a hospital waiting for my niece to be born. As exciting as births of new babies are, it's exhausting for everyone involved. I was there waiting since 6 this morning, and I didn't get back to my house until some time between 9:30 and 10 tonight.

Now that I've said all that, I hope that now everything has settled down, I'll be able to set aside a nice chunk of time to listen and write a review. All that I ask is that you please be patient with me. I want to be able to give you a proper review, and I think you deserve one, especially after having to wait so long to get it. Again, my apologies for the wait.

To my mixtape maker: I've just finished listening to your tape, and I have my first draft of my review typed out. I'm going to take a bit more time to listen some more and make sure I say what I want to say, but you should expect a review up in this thread soon. :nice:

To my mixtape maker: I've just finished listening to your tape, and I have my first draft of my review typed out. I'm going to take a bit more time to listen some more and make sure I say what I want to say, but you should expect a review up in this thread soon. :nice:

just to say i hope people aren't stressing out over getting reviews done as they feel it's late because it's fine, some people have only just got their tapes and my review will be a little longer because of other things.

I finally got some time to do my review! I really enjoyed my mix tape! A lot of things that I did not expect to ever see in a mix tape lol.

Thank you to whoever made it!

1. I think the artist is Grouper? You left the artist on this one! :P lol and album art, which is of a creepy little girl that looks sad... It starts with the sound you would hear if you where driving down a highway and no cars where around you, so all is quiet except for the sounds of your wheels going around... Then some piano notes and a fade voice starts to sing... I tried to see if I could figure out what they say, but no clue. I think I would like it a lot more if the words were clearer, but it is still a nice opener. It keeps the same tune throughout the song, and then finished with a held note.

2. Uhhh! Some clings of metals... And an unclear voice starts singing... It changes so much... A tone increases... It is one of those songs in which you cannot really predict what is coming, fairly entertaining! An oboe <3 I think lol.

3. THIS SONG. At the very start it feels like an Asian rhythm, but then a violin starts playing, and I can picture myself back in the Georgian/Victorian times, sadly in love... specially when that second violin comes in... Being a Jane Austen fan, I LOVED this one.

4. Some held tunes, and then guitars start playing. It is a calming song... I can barely understand some words they say, but I really liked this song! What is up with the faded voices? Lol

5. Some jazz!!! Nice piano playing :) not something I would normally listen to, but I am glad it is piano, and not the trumpets and stuff jazz.

6. It is really random transition lol now we are into more electronic sounds. Another faded voice... Lol. I seldom listen to this music, and this a really nice one.

7. Jajajaja! You sent me way down yonder, partner! Not really what I would listen to at all. I lived 4 years in the south, and this never stuck, and I am glad lol. It is a short song, again, not really my type.

8. Another one where you get several different tunes in a song! I like the beat of the drums in this one! I looove when it gets to its climax, I would say, and then it starts in a more consisted, strong way. Really liked this one!

9. Faded voice! A lot more clearer though! I really liked this one! It sounds familiar... Nice beat and guitar, and her voice is calmed... I want to know the lyrics to this one so bad!

10. And now we fly to India! Feels really asiatic, it has those flutes and small bongoish sound, with the guitar in the background. Short song.

11. Several voices start this one. LOVE IT. Again, one of those unpredictable ones, but it is a lot more fast paced and with more beats in it! Always the voices in the background, and then these bits going on and it is so awesome.

12. Piano... <3. Some notes here and there, and then some chords. Very slow song compared to the previous one lol it seems like a sad one </3

13. This has a rocky feel to it. Guitar notes, and a beat that goes from a side to the other... Really intriguing voices! The beat going from a side to the other makes it feel like the guy is singing to you right there... Loved it! I really enjoyed the lyrics! First one which is not with a faded voice!

14. Sounds like an old song... Very old! Faded voice again... Is this a theme? Lol. I can understand a lot more than the previous ones though. I like the guitar riff in the song... I do not give a damn about anyone either, young sir! I liked it :)

15. This one had a name... Vlad. Really random sounds, all faded... I am convinced there is a theme, and the faded part of most of the songs have something to do with it! I think... It goes on like that till the end.

16. Ukelele? Clear voices! O.o... I like the song! Specially that transition to the addition of the background sounds... And when the violin starts playing... Both of them... Omg I love this.

17. Strong beats, and some "I miss you"s. Some faded sounds, and it ends. Short one.

18. French!!!! FREEEENCH! I do not know how to describe this song! Jaja! It has so much, the sexy French voice of a man, and then the trumpet and fast violin, and the piano throughout the entire song, and the chorus part which I cannot decipher... Such a random song lol I like it.

19. Beats that go around in the headphones again... :) I like how you can only notice the change in the notes being played if you pay attention, otherwise I would sound the same... This one has the artwork in it still :P jürgen müller, science of the sea... No way of knowing the name of the song though lol.

20. More beaty tones... No singing in this one either. It goes in for a while like that, and then it adds the strong beat to the background, making it sound like a slow electronic song, kind of.

21. Some people talking near... Nothing else... It sounds like a butt dial lol really strange!!!

22. Slow guitar riffs going in and out, and a soft singing. Then she starts singing with more strength... And the guitar starts playing louder, it fades some and then a beat is added. Her voice is faded in the background now, and the main thing are the violins, chime, guitar and drummy beat. It ends with violins playing <3

Overall a nice tape. Like I said, a lot of things I did not expect, but I enjoyed most of it :) thank you!!!

I finally got some time to do my review! I really enjoyed my mix tape! A lot of things that I did not expect to ever see in a mix tape lol.

Thank you to whoever made it!

1. I think the artist is Grouper? You left the artist on this one! :P lol and album art, which is of a creepy little girl that looks sad... It starts with the sound you would hear if you where driving down a highway and no cars where around you, so all is quiet except for the sounds of your wheels going around... Then some piano notes and a fade voice starts to sing... I tried to see if I could figure out what they say, but no clue. I think I would like it a lot more if the words were clearer, but it is still a nice opener. It keeps the same tune throughout the song, and then finished with a held note.

Yeah, this was the only one which, for whatever reason, I just couldn't delete the info from. As you soon found, I gravitate toward atmospheric tracks with somewhat receded vocals. I really enjoyed your highway comparison here.

2. Uhhh! Some clings of metals... And an unclear voice starts singing... It changes so much... A tone increases... It is one of those songs in which you cannot really predict what is coming, fairly entertaining! An oboe <3 I think lol.

This is from a 2013 album by Daniel Wohl, though I think the composition is attributed to the string quartet 'Transit' who he helped found. 'Transit' is exactly the idea I had behind this transition, as if you were charging through a tunnel with many curves and flashing lights.

3. THIS SONG. At the very start it feels like an Asian rhythm, but then a violin starts playing, and I can picture myself back in the Georgian/Victorian times, sadly in love... specially when that second violin comes in... Being a Jane Austen fan, I LOVED this one.

And I love that you loved it, though I've never thought to connect it with Jane Austen. It's a quite early Andrew Bird instrumental.

4. Some held tunes, and then guitars start playing. It is a calming song... I can barely understand some words they say, but I really liked this song! What is up with the faded voices? Lol

Believe me, it would be more confusing if you were able make out the lyrics, Benoit Pioulard writes a different brand of poetry altogether :P

5. Some jazz!!! Nice piano playing :) not something I would normally listen to, but I am glad it is piano, and not the trumpets and stuff jazz.

I never get around to using all the transitional interludes I want, but Mr. Art Tatum was never gonna miss the cut.

6. It is really random transition lol now we are into more electronic sounds. Another faded voice... Lol. I seldom listen to this music, and this a really nice one.

I think this one by Cuushe is the longest on the mix, so I hope the repetition didn't bore you at any point. If I had a theme, it was an emphasis on submersion and a sort-of spatial distance between the musician and the listener. This is probably the closest the mix got to a 'dance' track.

7. Jajajaja! You sent me way down yonder, partner! Not really what I would listen to at all. I lived 4 years in the south, and this never stuck, and I am glad lol. It is a short song, again, not really my type.

Haha. I would write this off as just another transition, but I actually really like this version of the folk song. I find his voice and the piano accompaniment particularly soothing.

8. Another one where you get several different tunes in a song! I like the beat of the drums in this one! I looove when it gets to its climax, I would say, and then it starts in a more consisted, strong way. Really liked this one!

The only one I've ripped from a previous tape, it's a cluttered remix of what originally was a quite plain keyboard track. Glad you liked it.

9. Faded voice! A lot more clearer though! I really liked this one! It sounds familiar... Nice beat and guitar, and her voice is calmed... I want to know the lyrics to this one so bad!

Now for something more groovy and structured. It's off the 2013 debut of the band 'Boardwalk' and titled 'I'm not myself' as you might have picked out.

10. And now we fly to India! Feels really asiatic, it has those flutes and small bongoish sound, with the guitar in the background. Short song.

You were write about India, this was taken from the James Ivory film 'The Householder' and more recently appropriated by Wes Anderson for the soundtrack to 'The Darjeeling Limited'

11. Several voices start this one. LOVE IT. Again, one of those unpredictable ones, but it is a lot more fast paced and with more beats in it! Always the voices in the background, and then these bits going on and it is so awesome.

As different as these genre's are, I feel like several neighboring tracks at this part of the mix featured very similar melodies. Some find Baths a bit hectic, so really glad you like this one.

12. Piano... <3. Some notes here and there, and then some chords. Very slow song compared to the previous one lol it seems like a sad one </3

This track is by Nils Frahm, and was actually recorded while he was recovering from a broken thumb.

13. This has a rocky feel to it. Guitar notes, and a beat that goes from a side to the other... Really intriguing voices! The beat going from a side to the other makes it feel like the guy is singing to you right there... Loved it! I really enjoyed the lyrics! First one which is not with a faded voice!

This is Nick Zammuto's interpretation of a track by Eluvium. Like the Jon Hopkins remix, this one adds a lot of extra ingredients to the original track and is perhaps more of a cover, though one with a different time signature. Glad you were able to make out a few words in this mix.

14. Sounds like an old song... Very old! Faded voice again... Is this a theme? Lol. I can understand a lot more than the previous ones though. I like the guitar riff in the song... I do not give a damn about anyone either, young sir! I liked it :)

You're on to me lol, This is by 'Dirty Beaches'.

15. This one had a name... Vlad. Really random sounds, all faded... I am convinced there is a theme, and the faded part of most of the songs have something to do with it! I think... It goes on like that till the end.

Whoops, oh well it's just an instrumental. This is off one of my favorite albums from last year by 'Martin Eden' a side project of Matthew Cooper of Eluvium.

16. Ukelele? Clear voices! O.o... I like the song! Specially that transition to the addition of the background sounds... And when the violin starts playing... Both of them... Omg I love this.

It's actually a violin, though I doubt I could tell if I didn't already know. For your own sake I threw in some 'dry' songs between the gauzy 'faded' ones. The artist is Final Fantasy (later just Owen Pallett)

17. Strong beats, and some "I miss you"s. Some faded sounds, and it ends. Short one.

I love Broadcast too much to not give them a cameo. Weirdly, the later half of this tape ended up with tracks that seemed to emphasize a longing for irretrievable person in the past. It wasn't intentional, but coincides well with the 'distance' theme that was somewhat intentional.

18. French!!!! FREEEENCH! I do not know how to describe this song! Jaja! It has so much, the sexy French voice of a man, and then the trumpet and fast violin, and the piano throughout the entire song, and the chorus part which I cannot decipher... Such a random song lol I like it.

For whatever reason, I am going through an obsessive Serge Gainsbourg phase. This was a result.

19. Beats that go around in the headphones again... :) I like how you can only notice the change in the notes being played if you pay attention, otherwise I would sound the same... This one has the artwork in it still :P jürgen müller, science of the sea... No way of knowing the name of the song though lol.

Yikes. Well, there ya go. The track is called Sea Bed Meditation, and sounds pretty much like that. It's a great album if you're interested.

20. More beaty tones... No singing in this one either. It goes in for a while like that, and then it adds the strong beat to the background, making it sound like a slow electronic song, kind of.

I've been trying to squeeze Tycho onto a mix for years, and I think/hope this track finally fit.

21. Some people talking near... Nothing else... It sounds like a butt dial lol really strange!!!

This is a sound bite that I've had my computer for about 5 years. It was the result of me basically hitting record on my cheap mp3 player and walking around my college campus.

22. Slow guitar riffs going in and out, and a soft singing. Then she starts singing with more strength... And the guitar starts playing louder, it fades some and then a beat is added. Her voice is faded in the background now, and the main thing are the violins, chime, guitar and drummy beat. It ends with violins playing <3

Heather Woods Broderick. With the dense air of most of the mix I wanted to end with something more direct and sincere.

Overall a nice tape. Like I said, a lot of things I did not expect, but I enjoyed most of it :) thank you!!!

Thank you, kindly! you've been a warm and courteous recipient. :P

1. Disengaged by Grouper

2. Neighborhood by Daniel Wohl

3. Theme 1 (Waltz) by Andrew Bird

4. Tack and Tower by Benoit Pioulard

5. Night and Day by Art Tatum

6. Sort of Light by Cuushe

7. Buckeye Jim by Burl Ives

8. Small Memory (Tuung remix) by Jon Hopkins

9. I’m Not Myself by Boardwalk

10. Farewell to Earnest (“The Householder” Soundtrack) by Jyotirindra Moitra

11. Apologetic Shoulder Blades by Baths