✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

David Moyes has been sacked as Manchester United manager.

Sparky

Guest howyousawtheworld

While he could have and probably would have done better next season I saw absolutely no evidence that he could get them back into Champions League. It would have had to take some radical progression from Moyes to do so. Regardless, the treatment he has received from the club in the last 48 hours and some sections of the fanbase has been appalling. Man Utd praised Moyes for his 'integrity' this morning. I doubt Moyes will be reflecting that feeling towards his now former employers.

Man Utd fans will now undoubtedly think they will be PL winners next year once more with a new manager. I doubt it. They've fallen so far behind Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea (who have raised the standard at the top considerably from last seasons dreadfulness - hence the reason why such a poor Man Utd side won it) that even with a new manager it will be a job trying to displace those three. The favourite seems to be Louis Van Gaal - a manager with a glittering cv including a CL win for Ajax back in 1995. But he is not infallible, as his first stint of managing the Dutch national team proved when they failed to qualify for the 2002 World Cup. He's also a bit of a loose cannon, a man who can upset the apple cart a bit too much for some people's liking. Is that what Man Utd need right now? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

Personally, I believe that Moyes should not have got the job in the 1st place but it was extremely unfair to sack him this early. United's squad was nothing special coming into his reign, Fergie being the key behind their success last season, and Moyes reign needed to be a rebuilding process. This takes time, time the United board were not willing to give.

Also for them to more or less burn money, he had a six year contract that was barely a season old.

Another thing too, can't remember where I saw it but Ferguson's first season was worse than Moyes' when they were compared. That's the thing with football nowadays, if you don't bring instant success, you're out. Go back 20 years, Moyes would still have the job and probably get sacked about 3 years into his contract if nothing had changed. Money is ruining this game and I fucking hate that fact. :( Sorry for the language

• 4 weeks later...
Also for them to more or less burn money, he had a six year contract that was barely a season old.

Another thing too, can't remember where I saw it but Ferguson's first season was worse than Moyes' when they were compared. That's the thing with football nowadays, if you don't bring instant success, you're out. Go back 20 years, Moyes would still have the job and probably get sacked about 3 years into his contract if nothing had changed. Money is ruining this game and I fucking hate that fact. :( Sorry for the language

So true :( It's even ruining my experience with Football Manager 2014. Ashley Young wants to be paid >100K GBP. Of course, he's transfer listed now :D

• 4 weeks later...

I have a few close Dutch assosciates who would have been delighted in the results of the match, the hole game would have been so intense for them in that stadium, but they passed on now...Really good family they were to me.. Happy for their win..