✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Article: Vevo Looks to Take Music Videos into Virtual Reality

Christa42

From Billboard Magazine:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6236682/vevo-virtual-reality-videos-samsung-gear-vr-headset

Vevo Looks to Take Music Videos Into Virtual Reality

By Billboard Staff | September 03, 2014 12:50 PM EDT

virtual-reality-goggles-headset-billboard-650.jpg

Monty Rakusen

Vevo will be there with a fully immersive music video experience when the just-announced Samsung Gear VR 3D headset is released later this year. Jon Li, product manager on the project, said in a statement that the project forced his team to re-think the whole music video-watching experience.

"The result -- why not put music videos in an immersive, full screen theater experience?" he said. "So, we designed Vevo on Gear VR to be a new way to fully engage in music videos. It’s so different, I am convinced it will transform how music videos are created and experienced."

Samsung announced the Gear virtual reality headset on Wednesday at IFA in Berlin. It is powered by Occulus and works exclusively with the also-new Note 4 phone/tablet, which attaches to the 3D device and contains sensors to gauge your head's position.

At a special unveiling of the headset in New York City, tech journalists got to strap on the device, which was alternately described as both "mind-bending" if not a bit uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Mashable's Lance Ulanoff described an onscreen demo that featured a Coldplay concert.

"Through the headset, it looked as if I was standing right in front of the band," he said. "A dancing Chris Martin appeared close enough to touch, and when they blasted star confetti in front of the stage, I had the urge to reach out and grab some."

Vevo is just one of the content partners that will need to be in place by the time the device goes on sale in the fall.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/esTPv2PcrRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• 5 months later...

Here's another cool article http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2015/02/nextvr-transmits-live-vr-video/

NextVR transmits live VR video

Press release: NextVR Completes First Live Broadcast Quality Virtual Reality

Patented Technology Ushers in a New Era for TV, Film, Events, and Communications

Laguna Beach, CA – NextVR, a technology company that captures and delivers live and on-demand virtual reality experiences, last Friday announced they have successfully conducted the first ever live, broadcast quality transmission of a virtual reality experience. The transmission was conducted this weekend between Laguna Beach, CA and Michigan where a reporter was transported to the beach in California and held a conversation in real time, high-definition, broadcast quality virtual reality.

630x354xNextVR-LIVE-VR-Laguna-100.jpg.pagespeed.ic.7R-_u7FJsw.jpg

“For the first time, with NextVR’s technology, we can transmit – live – three dimensional, high frame-rate video images, as well as the geometry of the world surrounding the camera, which virtually takes the viewer to where the action is and gives feeling of actually being there,” said Dave Cole, Co-founder, NextVR. “It opens up a whole world of possibilities for virtual reality. Imagine if you could have stood on the moon with Neil Armstrong as he took his first step. With this advancement, you WILL be virtually teleported to Mars as mankind takes our first step there.”

NextVR is the first company that has the technology to do this, with 14 patents granted and pending for the capture, compression, broadcast quality transmission, and display of virtual reality content. Specifically, NextVR’s technology for live VR transmission includes:

• A 6K resolution, 80-frame-per-second, stereoscopic camera system that captures not just the visuals, but the 3D geometry of a location (e.g. the shape, size and distance of all the objects in the captured scene as well as the size of the environment).
  • A patented stereoscopic broadcast technology platform that can transmit high resolution, 3-dimensional imagery and 3D geometry at bit-rates low enough to stream to mobile VR devices over cellular networks (as low as 4 mbps).
  • NextVR’s live-streaming player technology, which is demonstrable now on GearVR and other mobile and wired VR platforms.

“LIVE virtual reality capabilities has been the missing component to bring sports, news, entertainment and historical events to VR as a broad media platform. NextVR has made that a reality,” said DJ Roller, award-winning filmmaker and Co-Founder, NextVR. “I’ve spent my career bringing viewers closer to the action with 3D and giant screen IMAX films. But LIVE virtual reality is the most insanely disruptive thing I’ve seen. It’s a mind-altering sensation to be transported somewhere virtually and in real time. You’re not just watching it, you’re right there – in it.”

NextVR-DJ-work.png

Recently, NextVR also worked with Coldplay in London to shoot and produce their Ghost Stories Virtual Reality Concert Experience. The entire concert was captured with NextVR technology and software, and a clip of the first song, A Sky Full of Stars, is now available via the NextVR app on Samsung Gear VR headset. NextVR is also planning upcoming releases of major league sporting events, fashion shows and educational programming. All NextVR’s content can be delivered instantly over mobile and home Internet connections.

About NextVR

NextVR is a technology company that captures and delivers live and on-demand virtual reality experiences. From rock concerts to sporting events to fashion shows, and everything in-between – viewers are transported into life-like experiences with true broadcast quality. It’s better than being there. Launched in 2009, NextVR has a vast IP VR portfolio with more than 14 patents granted and pending for the capture, compression, transmission, and display of virtual reality content. No other company can compete with this. NextVR also allows content to be streamed with pristine quality using current home and mobile Internet connections. Founded by veterans in stereoscopic imaging technology, software development and an award-winning filmmaker – NextVR provides a deeply immersive experience.

• Like 1

Thanks to the Atlas Project @ColdplayAtlas for finding this

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hdo6jqFDMQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why yes, no better solution to show the world how a concert on virtual reality looks like by filming the insides of the Oculus with a potato cam and posting it on youtube, so that everyone can watch this video on their flat 2D monitors, BRILLIANT :cheesy:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/04/nextvr-and-live-nation-team-up-to-stream-hundreds-of-concerts/

From engadget

NextVR and Live Nation team up to stream 'hundreds' of concerts

NextVR has already brought many important firsts when it comes to live VR broadcasting, so after golf, NASCAR, political debates and basketball, it's targeting live music. The company is teaming up with concert promoter Live Nation to stream "hundreds" of performances in virtual reality to fans worldwide. To increase the you-are-there feeling that makes VR broadcasts unique, it's planning "optimized" 3D audio to go along with the views from the front row, on-stage and backstage.

A short Coldplay clip was part of the company's initial demo reel on NextVR's app, and concerts felt like a natural fit for what it's trying to do. At its best, it can bring everything we love about concert going and provide a special view of artists at work -- all without getting shoved by fellow fans or charged exorbitant service fees for tickets.

The concert broadcast schedule is still TBA, but the first live event will take place this summer, available in NextVR's free app for the Gear VR headset (support for additional VR platforms is also coming soon, but not yet announced). Live Nation says it's the "largest producer" of live music concerts with over 25,000 events a year, so there's plenty to choose from and it promises a "regular supply of world-class music shows." Top tours currently listed on its website include everything from Beyoncé: The Formation World Tour or Drake Summer Sixteen to Steely Dan with Steve Winwood or or Journey and the Doobie Brothers -- hopefully we find out the schedule soon so I can make a decision on these Selena Gomez tickets.

• Like 1

http://gizmodo.com/will-live-concerts-make-you-want-to-strap-vr-to-your-fa-1774659578

Will Live Concerts Make You Want to Strap VR to Your Face?

amojdbdvuwjtkzftqakl.jpg

With virtual reality headsets finally trickling out to the masses, content creators are searching for the Next Big Thing beyond gaming. Is it 360-degree film, in-depth immersive journalism, or next-level live coverage? NextVR and Live Nation are betting big on the latter with plans to stream hundreds of live concerts of over the next couple years.

In this new world of VR content, NextVR is a leader. The company previously streamed a democratic debate in VR—with mixed results—and joined up with the NBA for some virtual coverage. Now, it’s bringing that same idea to concerts, covering hundreds of shows put on by Live Nation, one of the world’s biggest live entertainment outfits. The shows will start broadcasting this summer.

This isn’t virtual reality’s first taste of 360-degree music-making. Another startup, Jaunt, worked with Sir Paul McCartney to bring a concert only millimeters away from your eyeballs. NextVR previously worked with Coldplay

and Samsung back in 2014 to livestream a concert in 360-degrees.

The idea comes with obvious benefits. Even if NextVR charges a small fee at the door (the company hasn’t specified what this will cost), it helps people who maybe couldn’t afford to attend a show, or live too far away experience the music. Have you seen what Sigur Ros tickets have been going for lately? Ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that services like Ticketmaster are a complete dumpster fire.

While concert-going in virtual reality doesn’t sound immediately appealing— 270-degrees of drunk people singing the lyrics out of key is probably something you’d rather not experience—a camera smack dab in the middle of the stage would give you a whole new feel for live music. And as companies like Google continue to focus on improving binaural audio for VR systems, the music itself could sound surprisingly good.

The bad news is Gear VR will be the only headset to get these streaming concerts, though NextVR promises more platforms are coming soon.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Side Note: Vevo is in the process of being bought by Warner Music

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/vrtify-vr,news-23034.html

New VR Concert App Gives Everyone Front Row Seats

by Sherri L. Smith Jul 25, 2016, 2:00 PM

Imagine standing front and center at a Kendrick Lamar concert. Now imagine doing that from the comfort of your own home and you've got Vrtify. Billed as the world's first virtual reality platform, the free Android app is a new way for music lovers to experience their favorite artists in virtual reality.

Instead of having to contend with a sweaty throng of people to enjoy your favorite artists live, now you can get the same experience at your abode. No more long lines to the bathroom and exorbitantly-priced stadium refreshments. I had the opportunity to go hands-on with the soft beta version of the app recently and came away impressed and eager to see/hear more.

Moments after I held the Google Cardboard to my eyes, I found myself in a dark room in the midst of a screaming audience. Even in the darkened, room, I could make out distinct facial features against random flashes of light. Positioned in front of a catwalk, I looked up just in time to see Coldplay's Chris Martin stroll right past me, as the opening chords for "Vida La Vida" began, whipping the fans closest to me into a frenzy. I could have stayed for the rest of the concert, but I had a room full of people waiting to explain what I just experienced.

Vrtify is made up of a slew of proprietary technology including a camera system that simultaneously captures long-range, wide angle and low-light video captures to eliminate image distortion and a 4D/360 degree recording system. The tech allows for the company to create that immersive concert experience.

The company isn't stopping at simply streaming previously recorded content. Vrtify also has the ability to live stream, which could potentially revolutionize the way people attend concerts. I for one would gladly pay $30-50 for a front-row concert experience depending on the artist.

• Like 3

Sounds pretty cool. I know that if the artist intended to make a virtual reality music video apparently YouTube already has the ability to broadcast it using your mobile phones gyroscope.

Sounds pretty neat. The music videos sound like a good idea.

Although I gotta say that we are one step closer to becoming those fat people in the floating chairs in Wall-E if we can't manage to ever get off our butts to go and actually see a performance live.

Guest diogo_sg
Sounds pretty cool. I know that if the artist intended to make a virtual reality music video apparently YouTube already has the ability to broadcast it using your mobile phones gyroscope.

Sounds pretty neat. The music videos sound like a good idea.

Although I gotta say that we are one step closer to becoming those fat people in the floating chairs in Wall-E if we can't manage to ever get off our butts to go and actually see a performance live.

I think nothing can replace the actual feeling and experience of being part of an audience. Not even the most advanced VR technology [emoji4]

I think nothing can replace the actually feeling and experience of being part of an audience. Not even the most advanced VR technology [emoji4]

Especially if you're standing next to a chain smoker, or someone who doesn't know what deodorant is, or a gassy person :awesome:

• Like 3

Guest diogo_sg
Especially if you're standing next to a chain smoker, or someone who doesn't know what deodorant is, or a gassy person :awesome:

That's part of it, I think. Would you rather see Coldplay performing right before your eyes in the company of thousands of people or by yourself through a phone screen?

That's part of it, I think. Would you rather see Coldplay performing right before your eyes in the company of thousands of people or by yourself through a phone screen?

You do know I was being ironic, yes? :awesome:

Hell I'd even stay on an ant hill for 3 hours to see Coldplay!

Guest diogo_sg
You do know I was being ironic, yes? :awesome:

Hell I'd even stay on an ant hill for 3 hours to see Coldplay!

Oh.

Hahahaha!! It's hard to distinguish irony (and sarcasm) while they're written down [emoji16] [emoji16]

Oh.

Hahahaha!! It's hard to distinguish irony (and sarcasm) while they're written down [emoji16] [emoji16]

Yes that's true, but I hate using the wink-smiley to indicate I'm joking so I hope my way of writing portrays what I'm actually trying to convey.

APPARENTLY I HAVE FAILED THOUGH :cheesy: