✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Saddest lyrics in a Coldplay song ?

I ran away

I was just wondering what the saddest lyrics that Coldplay have ever written are ?

What immediately comes to my mind are the lines from Prospekt's March/Poppyfields:

I don't wanna die on my own here tonight

But here I lie on my own in a separate sky

What are the saddest lyrics for you ?

• Like 2

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh yes, right...

Just listened to GS and remembered two very sad ones from True Love and O (for this one especially in combination with the music, admittedly):

Tell me you love me

If you don't, then lie to me

And I'll always look up to the sky

(...)

Fly on, right through,

maybe one day I can fly with you

:cry:

And I'll always look up to the sky

(...)

Fly on, right through,

maybe one day I can fly with you

:cry:

THIS!!!!!

When the album first came out we all didn't know Chris was about to break up, so I just thought "what the frick is he singing about, what's with this emotional stuff?!"

and then the news came with the blog entry from Gwyneth's website and I listened to this song again and I immediately felt like someone had just ripped my heart out and fucking ATE it

*edit: Not to mention the mental visualization of these lyrics is extremely longing and shattering. Imagine your loved one is as unreachable as a flock of birds, everytime you hear something flutter you look upwards to get a glimpse of hope, and then it's gone before you can do anything.

I think Chris really nailed it with the lyrics in this one.

great, now I'm all emotional. THANKS THREAD >:C

• Like 1

Really, Batman ? The separation was anounced weeks before the album came out, so that some album reviews even suspected that this timing was planned by Coldplay's marketing section.

But i mean the official album release, so maybe you already had a leak or something?

Really, Batman ? The separation was anounced weeks before the album came out, so that some album reviews even suspected that this timing was planned by Coldplay's marketing section.

But i mean the official album release, so maybe you already had a leak or something?

Yeah I'm talking about the leak :sweatdrop: I can never wait until the official release HAHAHAH

you're all a bunch of leaking cheaters!! I did nott participate in the Leakage :P

edit, and that goes for you GOT Leaking Cheaters too! pooey!

yO at least I buy the album afterwards, along with crapload of their merchandise! :laugh3:

And I only listen to leaks if they're good quality lol

i didnt know there had been a leak ! but now that i'm on this forum i'll surely be informed early about any leaks concerning AHFOD :D

Batman, you're called Thalia ? :)

You surely will! People go crazy on here during potential leaks! :D

Yeah that's me :awesome:

Cool, a rare name. And I'd never have thought based on your profile pic that you are female (me too, btw) :D

OK, this thread went off-topic unbelivably quickly...lol

That's what you do when you're Batman, you spread confusion! :evilgrin:

:lol:

yeahhh, that's true. I shall post more sad lyrics to divert back to the topic :nod:

From Gravity:

And then I looked up at the sun

And I could see

Oh the way that gravity pulls on you and me

And then I looked up at the sky

And saw the sun

And the way that gravity pushes on everyone

To me it's not sad in a heart wrenching way, but the lyrics use elements that are generally seen as good things, like the sun, or the sky, and then uses them as something bad and creates a depressive, sad setting. That even though the sun might be shining and everything is full of life, the flowers are blossoming, the birds are chirping, the kids are playing, there's this force that pushes everything down, that everything and everyone has to struggle against. I like how the word Gravity is a placeholder for so many things here.

Interesting. For me, Gravity is overall a very sad song too, but I never looked at it the way you did. I like your interpretation. In a Coldplay-typical way, though, the song is also full of hope. (and it has a great melody and Chris's voice at its best, I love it !)

Interesting. For me, Gravity is overall a very sad song too, but I never looked at it the way you did. I like your interpretation. In a Coldplay-typical way, though, the song is also full of hope. (and it has a great melody and Chris's voice at its best, I love it !)

Thanks for liking my interpretation!

Yes, that's true, this is one of the reasons why I like Coldplay songs so much. So many people say they make such depressive music, but they never really listen, because, as you said, there's always this glimpse of hope somewhere hidden in the songs, and even the melody sometimes manages to make the lyrics sound less gloomy.

So many people say they make such depressive music

Lol, hope these people never come across music by Radiohead...

Yes, they have the right balance between a melancholic way of perceiving the world and hope. It's beautiful. I tend to be on the melancholic side of seeing the world, too, so their earlier work really appeals to my feelings, like I can connect to it. I think the "early" Chris really was a sensitive person with a beautiful mind (not so sure about it right now, think he changed a lot). This is probably why they got so hugely popular, because everyone has these feelings and their lyrics can usually be applied to whatever you want them to be about.

• Like 1

Interestingly, I have got one line that's always been in my head and always cry every time I listen to it, which is O Reprise.

It has only got one sentence, well so far as I have heard..

'Don't ever let go...'

But the music vibe makes it so strong to be the saddest song ever, it brings the feelings where I don't want to move on / move from that place I have always wanted to be. That part of the song has always been very sensitive to me.

[video=youtube;783LM-Ry0G0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=783LM-Ry0G0

Oh and especially this one after the O song, this gets me all the time

Listen at 3:55

[video=youtube;kNy_6dIBmRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNy_6dIBmRE

Yeah I'm talking about the leak :sweatdrop: I can never wait until the official release HAHAHAH

Do you mean Magic? Because I remember the album itself didn't leak until very close to the official release. When Gywneth made the announcement, Magic was the only song we had at the time, and I remember everyone going back to Magic and re-examining the lyrics in context of the situation. After that, everyone sort of figured Ghost Stories would be a breakup album.

(I'm not being mean, just curious.)

Do you mean Magic? Because I remember the album itself didn't leak until very close to the official release. When Gywneth made the announcement, Magic was the only song we had at the time, and I remember everyone going back to Magic and re-examining the lyrics in context of the situation. After that, everyone sort of figured Ghost Stories would be a breakup album.

(I'm not being mean, just curious.)

Hmm but I remember listening to a bunch of the new songs, especially Another's Arms (at least I think I did lol) and I found it so weird because it sounded like a break up song and to the time I listened to it I didn't know the news yet ... :confused:

Or maybe my memory is just completely fucked up and overwritten with false information! :cheesy:

(how are you mean, you just stated a bunch of facts lol)