✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Saddest lyrics in a Coldplay song ?

I ran away

have you seen the interview Chris did in 2014 with Zane Lowe?

most of Coldplay's songs are probably personal to Chris in some way, but I think Ghost Stories as a whole is extremely personal. your statement that it feels like reading someone's diary is not too far off.

Yes ugh I don't think any of us can forget his reaction after Zane played O. I don't think I've ever cried harder watching someone try and keep it together. O took on a completely different meaning for me after that interview.

Chris seems like the kind of guy who keeps all his sadness to himself because he doesn't want to burden anyone else with it. The whole conversation made me really sad. Him talking about how his insecurities had affected everyone and about having to work on himself. That's why I can't bring myself to dislike a head full of dreams (I wasn't the biggest fan at first) or wish that they'd go back to their old style.

While none of the AHFOD songs are bad, imo they don't really leave as lasting an impression as stuff from their other albums does. But the band and mainly Chris seem to be really happy and content right now and I'll take that anyday over them making AROBTTH-esque songs but going through a ton of emotional turmoil while they're at it.

And anyway the AHFOD songs serve their purpose, they do leave me feeling happy and hopeful (Up and up) and they really work in bringing people together in a concert setting. The boys wanting to spread happiness in the world isn't something I can hold a grudge against :)

Yeah. I always got the impression that Chris works like a book author. He likes putting himself into others' shoes. While there's obviously parts of himself in his songs, most of them are basically him creating a character (Mylo? :)) and a story for them and writing about that character's experience rather than his own personal experience even though he may not always state it.

But ghost stories seems like it's just the raw honest truth. All his pain laid out there for everyone to see. I think he did want it to work like a diary, making the album was his form of therapy. It was probably the only way he could move past his pain and heal :cry:

Sorry for the too long post xP

• Like 10

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the saddest lyrics IMO is Ghost Story.

Maybe I'm just a ghost

Emptier than anybody knows

Maybe I'm on the ropes

Or I'm not even here

Everytime I try to walk through walls

More walls appear

What's the point of feeling love for you when you don't believe I'm here?

What's the point of trying to raise your voice if no one ever hears?

Everytime I try to pull you close

You disappear

Maybe I'm a ghost

Just a whisper in a puff of smoke

A secret that nobody knows

No one will ever hear

What's the point in saying 'Rescue me!'

If no one ever hears?

Every time I try to pull you close

You disappear

You disappear

I think the song itself doesn't really sound like the typical sad/depressed song, but I think the lyrics sound like he's completely helpless and torn apart.

If that's really how Chris felt when he wrote it not just a story it pains me to imagine that he once was so down on the floor and felt like that. [emoji24]

• Like 4

Maybe I'm just a ghost

Maybe I'm on the ropes

Or I'm not even here

More walls appear

You disappear

Maybe I'm a ghost

No one will ever hear

If no one ever hears?

You disappear

You disappear

I think the song itself doesn't really sound like the typical sad/depressed song, but I think the lyrics sound like he's completely helpless and torn apart.

If that's really how Chris felt when he wrote it not just a story it pains me to imagine that he once was so down on the floor and felt like that. [emoji24]

Ghost Story is Coldplay's darkest song. I love it but it's hard to listen to when you think of the lyrics from Chris' perspective. :cry:

• Like 1

Maybe I'm just a ghost

Maybe I'm on the ropes

Or I'm not even here

More walls appear

You disappear

Maybe I'm a ghost

No one will ever hear

If no one ever hears?

You disappear

You disappear

I love Ghost Story so much, but I think love just how fucking bitter the lyrics are.

If no one ever hears?

You disappear

^ is one of the best post-breakup lines I've heard in a song.

• Like 6

Yes ugh I don't think any of us can forget his reaction after Zane played O. I don't think I've ever cried harder watching someone try and keep it together. O took on a completely different meaning for me after that interview.

Chris seems like the kind of guy who keeps all his sadness to himself because he doesn't want to burden anyone else with it. The whole conversation made me really sad. Him talking about how his insecurities had affected everyone and about having to work on himself. That's why I can't bring myself to dislike a head full of dreams (I wasn't the biggest fan at first) or wish that they'd go back to their old style.

While none of the AHFOD songs are bad, imo they don't really leave as lasting an impression as stuff from their other albums does. But the band and mainly Chris seem to be really happy and content right now and I'll take that anyday over them making AROBTTH-esque songs but going through a ton of emotional turmoil while they're at it.

And anyway the AHFOD songs serve their purpose, they do leave me feeling happy and hopeful (Up and up) and they really work in bringing people together in a concert setting. The boys wanting to spread happiness in the world isn't something I can hold a grudge against :)

Yeah. I always got the impression that Chris works like a book author. He likes putting himself into others' shoes. While there's obviously parts of himself in his songs, most of them are basically him creating a character (Mylo? :)) and a story for them and writing about that character's experience rather than his own personal experience even though he may not always state it.

But ghost stories seems like it's just the raw honest truth. All his pain laid out there for everyone to see. I think he did want it to work like a diary, making the album was his form of therapy. It was probably the only way he could move past his pain and heal :cry:

Sorry for the too long post xP

Do you have the link of the 2014 interview please? I'd like to see it!

I agree with everything you say about GS...that's why this is probably my favourite album, it's very emotional and it really touches my heart. Chris let us feel his pain in a unique and beautiful way. When I listened to it for the first time I was also passing a tough moment, so this album was like a salvation for me. GS reminded me that after darkness it always comes light... never music had made me feel like this before.

Give me love over, love over, love over this, ahhhhhh

It's a simple line, but the delivery is filled with so much raw emotion. The narrator has been filled with heartbreak over the state of the world and just wants the only thing that can break through and endure: love.

• Like 2

Do you have the link of the 2014 interview please? I'd like to see it!

I agree with everything you say about GS...that's why this is probably my favourite album, it's very emotional and it really touches my heart. Chris let us feel his pain in a unique and beautiful way. When I listened to it for the first time I was also passing a tough moment, so this album was like a salvation for me. GS reminded me that after darkness it always comes light... never music had made me feel like this before.

Yeah, sure! Here's the whole interview

And here's where they play O

Be warned that your heart is going to be ripped into shreds though :cry:

I'm glad GS helped you get through your time of darkness <3

Yes. That's something I love so much about Coldplay, they're always trying to help us realize that no matter how hard the times are right now you can be sure that 'good things are coming your way' soon :)

It's a simple line, but the delivery is filled with so much raw emotion. The narrator has been filled with heartbreak over the state of the world and just wants the only thing that can break through and endure: love.

Ugh Politik is so beautiful and especially that bit.

The chorus is so angry sounding like he's lashing at out at the world because he's scared and confused but then at the end he finally let's us see through the mask of anger to all the sadness and desperation underneath. I think all of us have gone through that phase where we try to hide all our pain behind anger.

Coldplay is so beautiful <3

• Like 5

Even though it's a known fact Politik was written immediately after 9/11, I often overlook just how well Chris captured the general feeling of the world with the climax. Really powerful. Especially with how relentless this summer has been, it's forever relevant.

• Like 3

Maybe I'm just a ghost

Maybe I'm on the ropes

Or I'm not even here

More walls appear

You disappear

Maybe I'm a ghost

No one will ever hear

If no one ever hears?

You disappear

You disappear

I suddenly remembered this track a few days ago and can't stop listening to it. It's nice but sad being able to relate to it. I find the lyric "What's the point in saying 'Rescue me' if no one ever hears" particularly sad x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Coldplaying mobile app

• Like 1

''And are there things in your way?

Things happen that way''

''drums, here it comes...''

''home, home, where i wanted to go''

''Now in the morning I sleep alone

Sweep the streets I used to own'' - which reminds my that old days, that sadly won't come back, it builds logical connection with O - so yes, dear friends, celebrate every frame, as we can only chase it by pictures and memories ;)

• Like 5

I have always interpreted it a bit differently than you did. Imho it means that "he" and "she" are currently separated, but he pledges to go to all possible lengths (go where they don't know my name, all over the world, even though armor might rust...) to find her again (just to see her again). I think the last line expresses his strong belief that one day they will reunite.

In spite of the general perceptions of the separation in this 3D time/space, we are all connected in a spiritual reality to some extent; such scenarios do challenge the soul to a better understanding of life and laws of the universe, hence, the awareness and waking up~

• Like 2

Maybe I'm just a ghost

Maybe I'm on the ropes

Or I'm not even here

More walls appear

You disappear

Maybe I'm a ghost

No one will ever hear

If no one ever hears?

You disappear

You disappear

Ghost Story is Coldplay's darkest song. I love it but it's hard to listen to when you think of the lyrics from Chris' perspective. :cry:

I didn't think of this until now... what if that's one reason why they never played Ghost Story live? Obviously it's a bonus track so it's not well-known, but it might also be incredibly hard for Chris to bring himself to sing lyrics like that. They carry so much emotional weight and if I were him, I wouldn't even want to remind myself of what it felt like when they were written.

• Like 4

I didn't think of this until now... what if that's one reason why they never played Ghost Story live? Obviously it's a bonus track so it's not well-known, but it might also be incredibly hard for Chris to bring himself to sing lyrics like that. They carry so much emotional weight and if I were him, I wouldn't even want to remind myself of what it felt like when they were written.

That's possible, maybe it's a bit like with Fly On or even worse, I remember Chris reaction in the Zane Lowe interview when he played Fly On... I rewatched it a few days ago and it breaks my heart all over again. But they played Fly On a few times live. Considering the lyrics of Ghost Story it's possible that Chris couldn't bring himself to play it. On the other hand, they never played All Your Friends either.

• Like 2

That's possible, maybe it's a bit like with Fly On or even worse, I remember Chris reaction in the Zane Lowe interview when he played Fly On... I rewatched it a few days ago and it breaks my heart all over again. But they played Fly On a few times live. Considering the lyrics of Ghost Story it's possible that Chris couldn't bring himself to play it. On the other hand, they never played All Your Friends either.

That would explain why the only time they played Fly On since 2014 was the night following the Paris attacks, which was heavy on the whole world's hearts. :cry: It's a song that needs the right atmosphere to work live because of the emotions that come with it. I'm not saying I ever want something like that to happen again, I'm just saying that Fly On is a song that is best played to fit a certain mood.

• Like 3

Ghost Story is truly very sad! never thought about it in that way.

I don't know if someone feels the same way like I do about Moving to Mars but it really gets me.

"Somewhere up above the stars, the wreckage of a universe floats past"

"They'll be tearing us apart, maybe moving us to Mars"

There's something about those lyrics.. it's like foreseeing the destructive end of the world. It's not your typical break up or love related sad song, but just a generally sad song - a bit like Politik

• Like 3

Ghost Story is truly very sad! never thought about it in that way.

I don't know if someone feels the same way like I do about Moving to Mars but it really gets me.

"Somewhere up above the stars, the wreckage of a universe floats past"

"They'll be tearing us apart, maybe moving us to Mars"

There's something about those lyrics.. it's like foreseeing the destructive end of the world. It's not your typical break up or love related sad song, but just a generally sad song - a bit like Politik

I actually feel the same way about Moving To Mars. There was just always something about those lyrics for me but I could never quiet get to what it is that makes it extra sad. But now that you say it - it really does sound like its about more then just a breakup or something.

• Like 2

All I know is that I love you so, so much that it hurts...

Ink apparently has simple lyrics, but in my opinion it's very emotional and sad. When love hurts nothing makes sense... you know you should let someone go but at the same time you can't help loving this person... that's really hard. This song express that desperate feeling very well.

• Like 5