✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Saddest lyrics in a Coldplay song ?

I ran away

and on twitter too!

Whoa, I had been wondering why this thread got a bunch of additional answers all of a sudden, and only now did I realize it has been promoted in a coldplaying.com blog post and on Facebook. Thanks Sparky !

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the saddest Coldplay lyrics are the final chorus in square one

Is there anybody out there who

Is lost and hurt and lonely too

Are they bleeding all your colours into one?

and if you come undone

As if you've been run through

Some catapult it fired you

You wonder if your chance will ever come

Or if you're stuck in square one

First time I heard it I replayed this chorus about hundred times :D

Still can't get ovewr it till now .....

• 2 weeks later...

For me it's definitely Amsterdam.

A song I think about somebody trying to crawl out of their depression, and at the end hitting a crescendo of bottled up energy and frustration ending with potential suicide or (more optimistically) intervention.

All the lryics to Pour Me. :cry:

"Pour Me"

Poor me, I'm floating out to sea

An opportunity that went by

Poor you, oh what you gonna do

No what you gonna do, you just cry

Oh, you always come undone

Try into the sun, you don't know why

Poor you, I know what you gonna do

Come on love I'll see it through, I don't know why

I hear you come nearer

I hear you but I don't understand

I hear you come nearer

Poor me, now float me out to sea

Oh no just let it be, come on try

Poor you, oh what you gonna do

Oh what you gonna do, you just cry

I hear you come nearer

I hear you come nearer

I don't understand

I don't understand

Oooh, ahhhh, ahhhh

• 9 months later...
Guest diogo_sg
Hi i'm new member :)

The saddest lyric for me is from 'True Love"

"Just tell me you love me

If u don't then lie, lie to me"

Hi Adriel! Welcome to Coldplaying! :D I think the lyrics from True Love are very sad too, specially that part you mentioned. If you include the "and call it true, call it true love" part, that's one of the most heartbreaking moments in a Coldplay song, in my opinion.

I was just wondering what the saddest lyrics that Coldplay have ever written are ?

What immediately comes to my mind are the lines from Prospekt's March/Poppyfields:

I don't wanna die on my own here tonight

But here I lie on my own in a separate sky

What are the saddest lyrics for you ?

Same :D I personally think the lyrics from The Scientist are pretty sad too.

• Like 1

It' s easy, just go to the New Thread button above the list where all threads of a subforum are posted ! That surely would be a great thread.

Anyway, another lyric that resonates as sad with me, even though if you take a look at the sentence it's not that sad in itself (I can really relate a lot to Trouble).

They spun a web for me

Trouble's a gorgeous song. One of Coldplay's best.

• Like 1

from The hardest part :

" Everything I know is wrong

Everything I do, it's just comes undone

And everything is torn apart

Oh and it’s the hardest part

That’s the hardest part

Yeah that’s the hardest part

That’s the hardest part "

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

"late night watching TV, used to be you here right beside me. Used to feel your arms around me. Your body on my body." - Another's Arms

It's just a lyric that displays such a tragic longing for another person, and it has always been hitting me right in the feels every damn time I've listened to the song

• Like 4

this part of Low has some of the most emotional impact for me in any Coldplay song:

Don't you wanna see it come soon?

Floating in a big white balloon

Or given on your own silver spoon

Don't you want to see it come down?

There for throwing your arms around

And say, "You're not a moment too soon"

'Cause I feel low

this particular section, apart from being just musically awesome, really gets to me i think maybe because throughout the song he's always talking about the other person and their issues, but here it shifts and it seems like he is saying (with a bit of frustration), "while you are busy being caught up in your own sadness, i'm over here alone, but i could use some help too"... at least that's my interpretation :P

and let's not forget those wailing OHHHHs

• Like 4

What's the point of feeling love for you when you don't believe I'm here?

What's the point of saying 'Rescue me!' if no one ever hears?

I discovered this song when I was passing a tough time, I was really heartbroken. Besides, Chris probably wrote this one during his breakup, so every time I listen to it I can feel his pain and also I remember my darkest times... that's why for me Ghost Story will always be their saddest song (but it's one of my favourite songs too).

• Like 4

Come on, oh my star is fading

And I see no chance of release

And I know I'm dead on the surface

But I am screaming underneath

This verse from Amsterdam tends to hit me in the feels every time. The whole song is filled with emotion, but wow... the inner turmoil that the narrator is describing echoes the same sort of depression and loneliness conveyed in Ghost Story.

• Like 2

I tend to find anything from A Rush of Blood to the Head really blatantly sad as well as X and Y. And then I realized their whole discography was pretty much a whole lump of sad even in the jumpy positive lyrics if you look at it a certain way.

"I'm feeling drunk and high" is temporary cause you always go back to "Square One" and confront the consequences of that fun distraction. The idealist with "A Head Full of Dreams" just dreams because reality is never enough. In the mind of a dreamer "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" because they feel so deeply and as a result they're "screaming underneath". Dreamers never learn and "that's the hardest part".

• Like 7

Got a tattoo and the pain's alright

Just want a way of keeping you inside

All I know

Is that I love you so

So much that it hurts

More than the lyrics I think it's the way Chris sings the first line that gives me a lump in my throat. It sounds like a cry of pain :cry:

I try and avoid listening to any song from Ghost Stories besides A sky full of stars and magic. All the others make me feel really uncomfortable for some reason. They just leave me feeling really sad. The scientist and fix you and trouble are sad songs too but it feels like a different kind of sadness from the one I feel when I listen to another's arms or O or Ink idk how to explain it.

The songs on ghost stories just feel too personal, like I'm reading someone's diary. Probably because of how much positivity the band and Chris have brought into my life, listening to him singing about his pain is too unbearable. It's like watching a really close friend or family member break down in front of you :cry:

• Like 10

Got a tattoo and the pain's alright

Just want a way of keeping you inside

All I know

Is that I love you so

So much that it hurts

More than the lyrics I think it's the way Chris sings the first line that gives me a lump in my throat. It sounds like a cry of pain :cry:

I try and avoid listening to any song from Ghost Stories besides A sky full of stars and magic. All the others make me feel really uncomfortable for some reason. They just leave me feeling really sad. The scientist and fix you and trouble are sad songs too but it feels like a different kind of sadness from the one I feel when I listen to another's arms or O or Ink idk how to explain it.

The songs on ghost stories just feel too personal, like I'm reading someone's diary. Probably because of how much positivity the band and Chris have brought into my life, listening to him singing about his pain is too unbearable. It's like watching a really close friend or family member break down in front of you :cry:

have you seen the interview Chris did in 2014 with Zane Lowe?

most of Coldplay's songs are probably personal to Chris in some way, but I think Ghost Stories as a whole is extremely personal. your statement that it feels like reading someone's diary is not too far off.

Up With The Birds always gets me with the second half of the song.

Might have to go where they don't know my name

Float all over the world, just to see her again

And I won't show or feel any pain

Even though all my armor my rust in the rain

A simple plot, but I know one day, good things are coming our way.

It's not sad in the "traditional" sense, but it's by far some of the most bittersweet lyrics Chris has ever written. The entirety of Mylo Xyloto is obviously built around a theme, and one of the things I've really come to respect about the album over the years is how the second half of the album is a slow progression of loss.

I've always seen the last line as something along the lines of, "Well, we're not going to be together again, but our separate lives have good things coming." Love and heartbreak are some of the most captivating emotions we can experience, and Up With The Birds symbolizes life after 'them' incredibly well.

In the mind of a dreamer "Every Teardrop is a Waterfall" because they feel so deeply and as a result they're "screaming underneath". Dreamers never learn and "that's the hardest part".

This is so true. Every Teardrop is in my top three Coldplay songs, but even then I sometimes forget it's actually a song that isn't necessarily positive.

• Like 2

Might have to go where they don't know my name

Float all over the world, just to see her again

And I won't show or feel any pain

Even though all my armor my rust in the rain

A simple plot, but I know one day, good things are coming our way.

I have always interpreted it a bit differently than you did. Imho it means that "he" and "she" are currently separated, but he pledges to go to all possible lengths (go where they don't know my name, all over the world, even though armor might rust...) to find her again (just to see her again). I think the last line expresses his strong belief that one day they will reunite.

• Like 1