✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Article from 2001

sheryar90

[h=1]POP REVIEW; Slouching Toward Stardom: Rough Beasts From England[/h][h=6]By NEIL STRAUSS[/h][h=6]Published: April 14, 2001

Coldplay is a band to watch. This is not just because it's a talented band on its way up, but also because at any moment it might implode.[/h]The English quartet, which has released only one full-length album, first came to Manhattan in February to perform at Irving Plaza, but a few songs into the set the singer, Chris Martin, walked off stage, complaining about voice problems. Since then the band has become so popular that its makeup show on Tuesday night was at Roseland, which holds more than three times as many people as Irving Plaza. When the band returns to Manhattan on June 27, it will be moving up to Radio City Music Hall.

Compared with the band's first show in the United States, when its members appeared stupefied at a Los Angeles radio station concert, unable to believe that Americans had really embraced their music, Coldplay has come a long way as live performers.

But watching the band onstage at Roseland, one wondered if it would go much further. The music sounded superb: it belonged to the monochromatic genre of Radiohead and Travis and a hundred other bands that are no doubt in basements today rehearsing a heavy wash of moody, reverberating rock topped by slow, passionate vocals with a falsetto masquerading as emotion. Mr. Martin took turns on guitar, harmonica (which he threw into the crowd after playing) and keyboards.

Though the band's musical chemistry was tight, its personal chemistry was not. The rest of the band members did not seem to like Mr. Martin at all. When he made his usual insecure jokes with the audience, they grimaced; when he looked back at them for support or to make a musical cue, they stared at him coldly; when he accidentally hit his lip with the microphone at the end of ''Yellow'' (one of the best-sounding rock singles of the moment), they smirked in delight.

Making it even clearer that this is a band that shares certain attributes with the volatile brothers of Oasis, Mr. Martin said during the encore, ''For the first time in about six years, we've gotten to the end of a concert.''

In the encore, the band performed a fantastically moody and confused new song, ''In My Place.'' Here's hoping Coldplay will survive to release it on a sophomore album.

------

Thanks for this! I've pasted the article above too. The New York Times were not so favourable 4 years later :inquisitive:

The last paragraph :D :D

haha! it's funny to read 14 years on.

The rest of the band members did not seem to like Mr. Martin at all. ..

Making it even clearer that this is a band that shares certain attributes with the volatile brothers of Oasis...

in this regard, how wrong did this review turn out to be?

That's a great example of why some of us in the States refer to that paper as the New York Slimes. And "In My Place" moody and confused? Moody and confused my ass. Great song, classic, will live on forever...just like the band will. Okay I feel better now. :D

• Like 1