✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

AHFOD Reviews by Music Critics

CP-EST

now let's even out that over the top positive review with an over the top negative review:

Album Review: Coldplay – A Head Full of Dreams

Despite having a head full of dreams, Coldplay have released their most bland album to date, filled with a tepid and uninspiring collection of songs that lack any form of imagination and depth.

By Lewis Norman -

Coldplay

A Head Full of Dreams

4 December 2015, Parlophone/ Atlantic

coldplay-300x300.jpgJangling chimes, polyphonic rhythms and gentle guitar lines: I’d almost forgotten, during the first thirty seconds of A Head Full of Dreams, why I disliked Coldplay so much. Unfortunately, the limp croon of Chris Martin kicks in and I’m soon reminded. Arpeggiated rhythms on the electric guitar make up the crux of A Head Full of Dreams, arguably the closest they’ve been to U2 in years. Unfortunately, they might be similar to U2 on paper, but they don’t quite reach the sweltering choruses and bombastic vocals that make them appealing. It’s all a bit tame: U2-lite, shall we say?

This is most noticeable on ‘Amazing Day’ which, other than having a terrible title (sounds a bit like a shit Christian-rock anthem, doesn’t it?), has a breakdown about three minutes in that should be uplifting and shiver-inducing. It’s not; in fact, it is laughably lacklustre. I wonder when people are actually going to realise that he doesn’t have a good enough voice to pull it off. Perhaps, it is more frustrating knowing that this is a collection of songs produced for arena performances and I’m not sure I can see them fulfilling that purpose either.

WHAT ARE YOU DRUNK AND HIGH ON CHRIS, ORANGE JUICE AND PARACETAMOL?

Furthermore, on every single Coldplay album, they seem to have that ‘moment’; that ‘moment’ that almost makes you forget how lame the rest of the album has been so far. On X&Y, the fragility of ‘Fix You’ was something we’d never heard before. On Viva la Vidaand Death and All His Friends the ingenuity of the title track was enough to detract from the identity crisis that the rest of the album seemed to be undergoing. A Head Full of Dreams lacks such a moment. The lead single ‘Adventure of a Lifetime’ has a slick, Two Door Cinema Club-esque riff but it never blows you away. It’s actually quite a serious issue for Coldplay, if they can’t churn out a massive hit every three years then what can they do?

From a lyrical perspective, it’s not all bad, but it isn’t great. But, maybe, that’s because we don’t really get an impression that Martin means what he’s saying at all. “I’m feeling so drunk and high” from ‘A Hymn for the Weekend’ doesn’t really sound genuine when it comes out of his mouth. What are you drunk and high on Chris, orange juice and paracetamol? It’s not really a voice that speaks to any generation, he just sounds a bit ridiculous.

I really wished, and I mean this genuinely, that I’d be able to say that Coldplay had restored some of what made their first two albums incredible. I would have liked to say that Coldplay had managed to create a good pop album, even if it wasn’t to my taste. I can’t say either of these things. A Head Full of Dreams is the most tepid and uninspiring collection of songs that Coldplay have released to date. Here, we have the first Coldplay album to date for stay-at-home mums to reject on the grounds that it just isn’t cool enough.

1/5 *s

x

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
now let's even out that over the top positive review with an over the top negative review:

Album Review: Coldplay – A Head Full of Dreams

Despite having a head full of dreams, Coldplay have released their most bland album to date, filled with a tepid and uninspiring collection of songs that lack any form of imagination and depth.

By Lewis Norman -

Coldplay

A Head Full of Dreams

4 December 2015, Parlophone/ Atlantic

coldplay-300x300.jpgJangling chimes, polyphonic rhythms and gentle guitar lines: I’d almost forgotten, during the first thirty seconds of A Head Full of Dreams, why I disliked Coldplay so much. Unfortunately, the limp croon of Chris Martin kicks in and I’m soon reminded. Arpeggiated rhythms on the electric guitar make up the crux of A Head Full of Dreams, arguably the closest they’ve been to U2 in years. Unfortunately, they might be similar to U2 on paper, but they don’t quite reach the sweltering choruses and bombastic vocals that make them appealing. It’s all a bit tame: U2-lite, shall we say?

This is most noticeable on ‘Amazing Day’ which, other than having a terrible title (sounds a bit like a shit Christian-rock anthem, doesn’t it?), has a breakdown about three minutes in that should be uplifting and shiver-inducing. It’s not; in fact, it is laughably lacklustre. I wonder when people are actually going to realise that he doesn’t have a good enough voice to pull it off. Perhaps, it is more frustrating knowing that this is a collection of songs produced for arena performances and I’m not sure I can see them fulfilling that purpose either.

WHAT ARE YOU DRUNK AND HIGH ON CHRIS, ORANGE JUICE AND PARACETAMOL?

Furthermore, on every single Coldplay album, they seem to have that ‘moment’; that ‘moment’ that almost makes you forget how lame the rest of the album has been so far. On X&Y, the fragility of ‘Fix You’ was something we’d never heard before. On Viva la Vidaand Death and All His Friends the ingenuity of the title track was enough to detract from the identity crisis that the rest of the album seemed to be undergoing. A Head Full of Dreams lacks such a moment. The lead single ‘Adventure of a Lifetime’ has a slick, Two Door Cinema Club-esque riff but it never blows you away. It’s actually quite a serious issue for Coldplay, if they can’t churn out a massive hit every three years then what can they do?

From a lyrical perspective, it’s not all bad, but it isn’t great. But, maybe, that’s because we don’t really get an impression that Martin means what he’s saying at all. “I’m feeling so drunk and high” from ‘A Hymn for the Weekend’ doesn’t really sound genuine when it comes out of his mouth. What are you drunk and high on Chris, orange juice and paracetamol? It’s not really a voice that speaks to any generation, he just sounds a bit ridiculous.

I really wished, and I mean this genuinely, that I’d be able to say that Coldplay had restored some of what made their first two albums incredible. I would have liked to say that Coldplay had managed to create a good pop album, even if it wasn’t to my taste. I can’t say either of these things. A Head Full of Dreams is the most tepid and uninspiring collection of songs that Coldplay have released to date. Here, we have the first Coldplay album to date for stay-at-home mums to reject on the grounds that it just isn’t cool enough.

1/5 *s

x

Edit: ooh that's bad.

I don't even care what critics have to say anymore. Everyone is so all over the place with reviews it's as pointless as just asking some ramdom people pn the street if they like it or not.

Yeah I really never made up my mind about whether any critic reviews I read were ultimately useful to me or not as the final recipient of the "product". Part of me thinks its good to have a bunch of people with experience in the branch who can share their opinions about recent music releases and I know artists say that some of the criticism they can actually use to get better, but then I see quite a lot of subjectivity in reviews and some are pretty nasty without any need to be (or overpraising without need to be) that then I go ahh ok I cant really use these things for anything hehe

So I am on the fence here. I guess the best would be to find one or two critics you trust and have sort of the same taste as you, and then you can use their recommendations to your advantage, kinda like your preferred DJ in a radio or what have you. Beyond that though I am not sure I ever truly benefitted from the "critic consensus" , some I resonated with, some I really didn't.

P.s. Bit off topic, I am nervous about all the fabulous feedback The Force Awakens has gotten so far, I hope its for all the "right" reasons hehe

Guest kmm1482
P.s. Bit off topic, I am nervous about all the fabulous feedback The Force Awakens has gotten so far, I hope its for all the "right" reasons hehe

Just got back from seeing it. Absolutely no reason to be nervous. It's everything you wanted it to be and more! It hits all the right notes

Just got back from seeing it. Absolutely no reason to be nervous. It's everything you wanted it to be and more! It hits all the right notes

Wow, I was expecting atleast some backlash from fans but all I hear is people saying it's good. So pumped to see it!

Guest kmm1482
Wow, I was expecting atleast some backlash from fans but all I hear is people saying it's good. So pumped to see it!

It was made and performed with such love and attention to detail. It has a very familiar story with familiar friends

Guest kmm1482

Vote for the Ultimate Oldplaying thread in the category "Best thread of 2015 - Coldplay section" ! In this thread we celebrate the sound and style of Coldplay's earlier work, sharing and discussing music and footage from the Pre-Parachutes, Parachutes, AROBTTH, X&Y and VLVODAAHF Eras !. Several people have told me it has even become their favorite part of the Coldplaying forums !

<font color="#0000ff">http://www.coldplaying.com/forum/in...ing-thread-s-bs-tbr-p-arobtth-x-y-vlv.104785/

<font color="#ff0000">If you love us, won't you let us know ? <font color="#ff8000">Vote the Oldplaying thread for Best thread of 2015 - Coldplay section !