✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

AHFOD Reviews by Music Critics

CP-EST

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it does...

I absolutely love the album, but I agree with imm1482. Just because the band put work into an album doesn't mean everyone has to or needs to love/like AHFOD and give it 10/10 reviews for no reason. If you enjoy it, good. If you don't, too bad.

• Like 1

I absolutely love the album, but I agree with imm1482. Just because the band put work into an album doesn't mean everyone has to or needs to love/like AHFOD and give it 10/10 reviews for no reason. If you enjoy it, good. If you don't, too bad.

I think you guys misinterpreted what I was trying to say... but whatever.

I wasn't forcing anyone to rate AHFOD as anything. I just gave out a suggestion so that the ratings average themselves out a bit more.

But then again, if you aren't a fan of the album, rate it whatever you want to.

I think you guys misinterpreted what I was trying to say... but whatever.

I wasn't forcing anyone to rate AHFOD as anything. I just gave out a suggestion so that the ratings average themselves out a bit more.

But then again, if you aren't a fan of the album, rate it whatever you want to.

Nah, I understand. Metacritic is a community itself though, so even if we had 100 10-star reviews, there would be 150 3-star reviewers from naysayers.

you know what i'd love for coldplay to do? stay off the mainstream music for a good couple of years and do an album completely removed from the trends. to different levels, coldplay have chased the latest musical trends and end up being released a couple of years late to the party. i would love to see what they'd do removed from the latest influences. listen to your favourite classics or more obscure ones and make an album.

but that's restrictive. coldplay wouldn't do that, what with the whole inclusiveness going on these days.

• Like 2

to different levels, coldplay have chased the latest musical trends i would love to see what they'd do removed from the latest influences. listen to your favourite classics or more obscure ones and make an album.

I respect your and others opinion about Coldplay playing to the latest trends, but I´ve never and still dont believe they´ve ever played anything other than what they like. It´s also possible that Coldplay were never an alternative band wanting to play obscure music, but they have actually always been eclectic and only now feel free enough to show this in their music. They have said it in interviews and I also believe it that indeed AHFOD is an album filled with homages to their "favourite classics" hehe :)

• Like 1

I respect your and others opinion about Coldplay playing to the latest trends, but I´ve never and still dont believe they´ve ever played anything other than what they like. It´s also possible that Coldplay were never an alternative band wanting to play obscure music, but they have actually always been eclectic and only now feel free enough to show this in their music. They have said it in interviews and I also believe it that indeed AHFOD is an album filled with homages to their "favourite classics" hehe :)

the thing is this though. a couple of obvious ones, viva is a follow up to arcade fire's funeral, "ella, ella, ella" vs. "par, para, para". this continues with gs, ahfod. it's the way you look at things and how you make connections between them. as much as i love coldplay, to me they have been more of trend followers than trend setters. that's ok :) i want to see what'll happen if they just stopped caring about the latest trend(s).

to me they have been more of trend followers than trend setters. that's ok :) i want to see what'll happen if they just stopped caring about the latest trend(s).

I can kinda see what you mean here. But I would say they could be seen as following in others footpaths from the very beginning (Radiohead for example).

I dont think they care about the latest trends, more like they want to explore all the genres they like and incorporate it in their music. I´d say Coldplay have a distinct formula and sound no one else has, but in terms of inventing something totally new I dont think anyone can say they´ve ever done that.

Maybe they have it in them to do something revolutionary musically, maybe not, also depends if its at all something they are interested in. As far as I could understand I think they (or at least Chris) are more focused in writing the best tunes, not necessarily the most original ones though.

• Like 1

I can kinda see what you mean here. But I would say they could be seen as following in others footpaths from the very beginning (Radiohead for example).

I dont think they care about the latest trends, more like they want to explore all the genres they like and incorporate it in their music. I´d say Coldplay have a distinct formula and sound no one else has, but in terms of inventing something totally new I dont think anyone can say they´ve ever done that.

Maybe they have it in them to do something revolutionary musically, maybe not, also depends if its at all something they are interested in. As far as I could understand I think they (or at least Chris) are more focused in writing the best tunes, not necessarily the most original ones though.

oh yes, they have been doing this from the very beginning :) i was thinking of more recent examples. and i completely agree with the highlighted part. of course them being the artists, it's up to them. chris actually had a great quote about this. about how coldplay have made a decision to write songs that move people en masse, etc and how they have to handle all the punches they get because of these decisions. they seem completely ok with it when it comes to creative output.

about how coldplay have made a decision to write songs that move people en masse, etc and how they have to handle all the punches they get because of these decisions. they seem completely ok with it when it comes to creative output.

Hmm maybe you mean how they said they like to write songs that can translate well in their live shows perhaps? I dont remember a quote about "moving people en masse", but then again I am sure Ive not read all Coldplay quotes ever either hehe

I honestly think they want to write the kind of tunes they themselves enjoy most! And its as simple as that I think. I remember when I first started writing songs, they all sounded like Oasis, haha cuz its what I loved at the time. I wanted to write the kinda tunes that moved me/excited me. But I would say as a songwriter personally I think what you write is also very much decided by whatever tunes come to you from above. On that I totally agree with Chris when he says the Universe sends him tunes hehe

Hmm maybe you mean how they said they like to write songs that can translate well in their live shows perhaps? I dont remember a quote about "moving people en masse", but then again I am sure Ive not read all Coldplay quotes ever either hehe

I honestly think they want to write the kind of tunes they themselves enjoy most! And its as simple as that I think. I remember when I first started writing songs, they all sounded like Oasis, haha cuz its what I loved at the time. I wanted to write the kinda tunes that moved me/excited me. But I would say as a songwriter personally I think what you write is also very much decided by whatever tunes come to you from above. On that I totally agree with Chris when he says the Universe sends him tunes hehe

the quote was not verbatim. paraphrasing. but the gist of it was that. and not being a songwriter, i have no idea about the songwriting process. but i do think coldplay will go on hiatus for a while after this.

how AHFOD is seen by a critic that loved princess of china:

Maybe Coldplay still matters after all

BACKBEAT

“A Head Full of Dreams” by Coldplay

4.5 stars

635857588252309486-STG1218-wia-music-coldplay-01.jpg

"A Head Full of Dreams" by Coldplay (Photo: Submitted)

OK, Coldplay; you have our attention again.

A few years ago this critic panned Coldplay’s “Mylo Xyloto.” It was disappointing after 2008’s brilliant, progressive and diverse “Viva la Vida.” By contrast, “Mylo Xyloto” was back to the same-old, same-old with one strong exception: “Princess of China.” That track, featuring Rihanna, was an entirely new side of Coldplay — a pop-friendly Coldplay that saw the band forgoing the shackles of trying to become the next U2.

Back then, this critic really liked “Princess of China” and hoped Coldplay might pursue that direction in the future. That hope remained alive with 2014’s placeholder album, “Ghost Stories.” There wasn’t much to “Ghost Stories.” The atmospheric, even etherial songs were definitely a departure from the stereotypical Coldplay sound but it was a quiet album that didn’t call attention to itself. Yet songs like “Magic” offered hints of changes to come.

Now with the release of “A Head Full of Dreams,” Coldplay picks up where the buoyant “Princess of China” and the understated “Magic” left off. This is not a rock album. In fact, frontman Chris Martin was recently quoted in Rolling Stone as saying, “I don’t think we really are a rock band.”

Whether Coldplay is still a rock band or not, this is not a rock album. It’s a pop album. And it’s a fantastic one.

There’s something colorful about “A Head Full of Dreams.” It’s fitting that one of the tracks, the untitled ninth track, is simply represented on the back cover as a spectrum of color. The music here seems to shimmer with a variety of hues, just as the multicolored lyrics seem to glow from the black background of the liner notes.

The title track kicks off the album with that signature big Coldplay sound — the sound that made songs like “Clocks” and “Speed of Sound” such big hits — but it’s different. Rather than anthemic rock, it’s more of an upbeat pop sound. Sure, there’s a little rock ’n’ roll riff in there but there’s more of a funk sound to Jonny Buckland’s guitar, like what Daft Punk did a couple of years back.

Similarly, Guy Berryman’s funk bass drives “Adventure of a Lifetime” behind the synthesized vocals, Will Champion’s thick beats and a flurry of sounds where it’s difficult to tell if they are created by electronic or organic means.

“Army of One” is perhaps the best example of marrying the traditional Coldplay sound with the new direction. Martin’s voice still soars as it did on the best tracks from “A Rush of Blood to the Head” but it ventures into new territory like Coldplay did with “Viva la Vida” and puts a perfect little pop cherry on top to bring it full circle.

If you want to lend an air of pop credibility to your album, it helps to bring Beyoncé in to sing on a couple of tracks. That’s just what they do here with the club jam “Hymn For The Weekend.” Her voice melds perfectly with Martin’s as they lay down some soulful vocals over some sick dance beats.

Beyoncé also joins Martin and a few more singers for the chorus of “Up&Up,” another track that finds that perfect mix of old and new. It has that “taking-on-the-world” vibe of an Imagine Dragons song without getting too caught up in its own ambition. Then Oasis’ Noel Gallagher pulls out a killer guitar solo to bring it all home.

While the chiming keys on “Birds” sounds vaguely like the Coldplay of yesteryear they are more effervescent. Notes flit by like they’re the song’s eponymous flying creatures and rather than his signature soaring vocals, Martin approaches the lyrics almost like a rapper, rhythmically singing, “So start falling in love / Start the riot and come on / Rage with me.”

That “Scientist”-like sad-sack balladry we all loved a decade ago hasn’t completely disappeared though. Martin’s piano tugs at our heartstrings on “Everglow” (featuring backing vocals by his ex-wife, Gwyneth Paltrow) but by the time he gets to the chorus and a subtle beat joins in, it’s clear that this is a very different type of ballad.

Martin seems to even reference his decade-long relationship with Paltrow on “Fun” as he sings, “I know it’s over / A parting of ways / And it’s done / But didn’t we have fun?” But with Tove Lo’s sunny backing vocals, it’s not a lament but rather a glorious celebration of good times.

The gorgeous “Amazing Day” also carries through some of the traditional Coldplay sound but, like “Fun,” it seems even brighter as Martin sings, “The view, the whole Milky Way / In your eyes, I drifted away.” It feels so good you don’t even care if it’s a little cheesy.

Coldplay has one again reinvented itself. Let’s hope the boys stick with it this time instead of returning to familiar haunts.

the spectrum