✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

AHFOD Reviews by Music Critics

CP-EST

I thought i'd start the thread of reviews for A Head Full of Dreams now, since the first actual review of the album is available read now. Q magazine giving 4/5 stars.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32964[/ATTACH]

I guess there will be some more magazine, newspaper, music site etc. reviews coming up already in these 2 weeks before the album. So i hope everyone would like to post it in here if they find something. :)

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Fun, featuring Tove Lo, is more moving than anything on Ghost Stories"

Well, I was not expecting Fun to be a "moving" song

Same here LOL

So, basically:

Great sounds, crap lyrics, better than Ghost Stories, actually the most Coldplay-ish album in terms of universality (I dunno if that gud or bad)

reading this review so far was the biggest downer for me since we've been getting news on ahfod. i really didn't want mx 2.0 and although we assumed this could be it, with the recent interviews i thought it would be different.

oh well, haven't heard the album yet, so we'll see..

Same here LOL

So, basically:

Great sounds, crap lyrics, better than Ghost Stories, actually the most Coldplay-ish album in terms of universality (I dunno if that gud or bad)

I'm so tired of crap lyrics :bigcry:

At this point, I'm not even sure what "universally Coldplay" means lol. Big stadium anthems with crappy lyrics and lots of "whooaas"?

This is just one person's perspective. I suspect that the sounds will be blend of the last few albums with some new twists, but overall this review leaves me optimistic.

I usually need to read at least five reviews of an album before I get a sense for it. Some reviewers have natural tendency to not like Coldplay lyrics even when I do. Some praise them as a great rock band while others just compare them to radiohead and call them crap. It really just depends. I am really hoping this is the most consistent score for this album, though..

Hopefully a 7.5-8/10 on metacritic. That would put it in the range of Viva and AROBTTH but ahead of MX, GS, and X&Y. If this album can just be on X&Y's or MX's level then I will be really content. At the time, I was disappointing with MX because it had two tracks I didn't like. Now i have got to the point where I am okay with a few duds, I just have come to expect that...

Guest howyousawtheworld

On his Guardian profile page, Dorian Lynskey did the decent thing of pulling up an ancient article from the archives (from a culture magazine called Slate) documenting Coldplay's lives around the release of Parachutes.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/11/chris-martin-interview-coldplay-yellow-head-full-of-dreams

It puts their current era in stark contrast with the band many of us fell in love with. I would go as far to say they are unrecongnisable now particularly the paranoid, twitchy Chris Martin circa 2000. It's stark how, even during the Viva La Vida era, Chris was stringently against talking about his private life particularly his marriage to Paltrow. The MX era though, he was a lot more open and content to talk about his private life.

I was just thinking in losing their social awkwardness have Coldplay abandoned the tools that made them great? I think all that pent up skepticism paranoia and distrust fuelled the really great Coldplay songs of the past.

This article nails part of why GS was so disappointing. "Low-key without being intimate."

It sounds like this could be a great album...except for the lyrics, that is. :worried: Since Viva, Coldplay have "tried" so many different things. Why can't they experiment with other band members writing the lyrics for some songs? It seems so obvious to me.

But it's not like Chris isn't capable. Both of the songs left off GS, that we only heard as bonus tracks, were stronger lyrically than anything that made it except O. And I'd bet this is still happening. "For every one they [stargate] would accept, eight or nine were scrapped." We probably lost some great lyrics in this purge. :thinking: Especially knowing the simplistic, pop songs they're used to.

Guest howyousawtheworld
What Coldplay-ish means to the media... that's what worries me

I'm absolutely with them remaining Coldplayish...as long as they don't start comparing them to Imagine fucking Dragons.

Considering Q Magazine gave Mylo Xyloto five stars makes me start to question this album

Reviews are done by different people. So i wouldn't compare any ratings like that. Given that Mylo Xyloto didn't really receive 10/10 except the Q Magazine, i wouldn't worry at all.

On his Guardian profile page, Dorian Lynskey did the decent thing of pulling up an ancient article from the archives (from a culture magazine called Slate) documenting Coldplay's lives around the release of Parachutes.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/11/chris-martin-interview-coldplay-yellow-head-full-of-dreams

It puts their current era in stark contrast with the band many of us fell in love with. I would go as far to say they are unrecongnisable now particularly the paranoid, twitchy Chris Martin circa 2000. It's stark how, even during the Viva La Vida era, Chris was stringently against talking about his private life particularly his marriage to Paltrow. The MX era though, he was a lot more open and content to talk about his private life.

I was just thinking in losing their social awkwardness have Coldplay abandoned the tools that made them great? I think all that pent up skepticism paranoia and distrust fuelled the really great Coldplay songs of the past.

My thoughts exactly. It's like...Coldplay used to be a small rock band- but the mainstream opened up it's arms to them... and slowly over time-.... they became a huge pop act.

I blame Chris' social life. Hanging out with Bey, gonna make you want to be in the same league as her. Just in the terms of...album sales, etc.. But even the sound part too.

Guest howyousawtheworld
My thoughts exactly. It's like...Coldplay used to be a small rock band- but the mainstream opened up it's arms to them... and slowly over time-.... they became a huge pop act.

I blame Chris' social life. Hanging out with Bey, gonna make you want to be in the same league as her. Just in the terms of...album sales, etc.. But even the sound part too.

I remember watching an old OLD interview (from 2000) where he noted the band's influences were the likes of Radiohead and Idlewild. IDLEWILD!! The great Scottish rock band (Listen to their song American English if you love old Coldplay...oh what sublime song!)

And now he's on Ryan Seacrest radio talking about how he was loving and listening to...err Justin Bieber?

In what sane world do you regress from listening and being influenced by Idlewild and Radiohead...to lauding Justin Bieber? Surely it's the other way round.

I'm genuinely starting to think that Chris Martin and Coldplay are the Benjamin Button's of the music world

I remember watching an old OLD interview (from 2000) where he noted the band's influences were the likes of Radiohead and Idlewild. IDLEWILD!! The great Scottish rock band (Listen to their song American English if you love old Coldplay...oh what sublime song!)

And now he's on Ryan Seacrest radio talking about how he was loving and listening to...err Justin Bieber?

In what sane world do you regress from listening and being influenced by Idlewild and Radiohead...to lauding Justin Bieber? Surely it's the other way round.

I'm genuinely starting to think that Chris Martin and Coldplay are the Benjamin Button's of the music world

keep calm it's only midlife crisis

keep calm it's only midlife crisis
:laugh3:

But seriously though, I was just done reading the interview and I'm baffled how much Chris has changed. He did a 180° turn. It's great for the people who like the stuff that's on the charts nowadays, and a nightmare for people who prefer Coldplay's older style.

I cannot deny that some of the new songs are great and catchy... but I personally resonate much more with Chris' younger self from that interview, so I really cherish the older songs. The article mentions how magnificent the song Animals is, and I can only agree on that!

^^ You three (@howyousawtheworld, @Coldmartin and @Batman) I know it sounds horrendous but it's obviously the kids!!! Particularly now he's technically no longer with their mum, CM has got to find a way to connect with his kids... What better way to do that than through music! And if the kids are listening to Bieber et al, then he'll be keeping an ear out that way - who wouldn't want to appear cool to his / her kids?? The way I see it, he's just making the best out of the situation... Might as well absorb the best of those influences while you're at it and make some lemonade with your lemons ;) That's why my prediction is in another couple of albums (5-10 years) they'll go back to making rock again, coz that's when the kids will be discovering the new rock bands of their age! So don't sweat, they'll go back to becoming proper musicians again in a few years :D