✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chris - mental health? persona

Don Smith allthatwas55

I'm extremely impressed by how Chris conducts himself. He seems tremendously calm/happy. He listens as intently as anyone I've seen. He's so kind to people.

In an interview, he said he worked hard at this, but didn't elaborate.

QUESTION: How did he get so chill/kind?

I've heard him talk about mindfulness. I'm assuming he does tons of it. Anything else?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for his public appearances, years and years of training. He is no longer the awkward shy stammering "Hi, I'm Chris, I...play, uhm, the singing" Chris nor the "walk-out-in-the-middle-of-an-interview" Viva Era Chris. We don't see him in private, but I'm sure he will not be grinning and happy all the time.

As for his public appearances, years and years of training. He is no longer the awkward shy stammering "Hi, I'm Chris, I...play, uhm, the singing" Chris nor the "walk-out-in-the-middle-of-an-interview" Viva Era Chris. We don't see him in private, but I'm sure he will not be grinning and happy all the time.

True. But it really is amazing. I can't think of another celebrity so classy.

Guest LiquidSky

I kinda miss that Chris sometimes:p

Mindfulness seems to be something that just works.

I've done some reading on the subject but the prospect of being mindful all the time seems exhausting.

Like any other muscle, in the beginning you´ll only be able to be mindful a few times at most perhaps, but with practice it gets easier :) I find that our mind has just gotten so used to running its own show so to speak. We dont know half of whats going on in our head and where it comes from hehe I guess we are not used to being mindful, but like anything else it gets better with practice and persistence :)

• Like 1

i miss old shy awkward dorky Chris so much :)

As someone who used to be quite shy, its more fun for others to watch than for one to be shy..it can be quite painful. I am glad he is happier in his own skin now, and I happen to think he´s still dorky haha :)

I'd say Rumi's poetry like The Guest House has become a big part of Chris' life and influenced his personal growth in the past couple of years. Sure, he's still kinda dorky, but he's more comfortable in his own skin. The whole band is ecstatic to be alive! Not even the MX era was quite this joyful and appreciative of life in general.

• Like 1

Yeah, he has changed his behaviour a lot, but there`s that genetic neurobiological influence that we can`t avoid, like he is still sweating a lot, when he speaks something personal the vein on his brow appears and those are signs of his sensibility and shyness. Yes we can all change so much, but what`s inside stays inside forever, I mean our personality which we were born with. That makes everyone unique, especially him :)

• Like 2

Yes we can all change so much, but what`s inside stays inside forever, I mean our personality which we were born with. That makes everyone unique, especially him :)

I remember reading about this when I took my psychology class, that the main personality is fixed by age 30 or something like that :) Interesting. I think some aspects are acquired limitations from childhood, which we then can learn to overcome (thankfully!) but a part I also believe is unchangeable. I like to think of it as the "imprint of a soul" hehe, which like you say makes us each unique.

• Like 2

Actually I am psychologist so I've learned that the basement of personality is determined by nature-genetics,it is growing and changing of course but that main characteristics remain through life and that has proven to me,besides what science says. Back to Chris,he really the one we have always known despite he has changed and changes every day.. That's why we love him!

Personality could be changed, by awaress and conscious spiritual practices, or other "events" triggering etc. As in spiritual level (especially in Buddhism), "I" is only an identification by ego level's illusions -- most of our emotions, thoughts, reactions, instintive reactions are confined by/stemmed from the ego level, until the soul wakes up. But this is only my expriences/learnings... a way to reach into your inner depth -- is always being aware of the Reasons/Causes (layer by layer...psychology is one of the layers), till the very original one, which might disclose the truth of life, then we may set ourselves free of this cause/effect net/cycle of reincarnations. No intention to argue, just a bit sharing~ Rumi's poem is a nice description.

Chris's charm and charisma has always fascinated me. In a dark world like this very few people maintain a seemingly happy outlook. Adults who are able to maintain an unusual amount of empathy and intuitive, dreamy, child like behavior really are special cookies, since that's typically lost due to facing the harsh realities and truths.

Even with all of this I can't help but feel like he's going through some internal struggles. I know everyone does, but usually the happiest looking people have some of the darkest, highly introspective thoughts. I even had a dream where I was at Chris's birthday party :/ and his "mom" brought out some pieces of paper that were apparently his childhood suicide notes... I'm not saying that my dream was telling any truths, it was just a reminder to me about "happy masks".

• Like 4

Well said. I always wonder what is that inside of him because when you look from the outside, he could be the happiest man in the world,not only having material/economic benefits, which MOST of the world doesn`t have, but he was also born in caring and healthy family, got well educated, surrounded with music,has healthy children and plays music with his best friends, his brothers...so I wonder where all those suffer which he talks about a lot come from? And how come that he`s SO sensititve towards the others who suffer? If he had disfunctional family and childhood or was raised in poverty I would understand that, but without that it`s really strange and unusual and even more beautiful, I`m grateful that he feels for others and gives us so much emotions.

• Like 2

True. With all of those material comforts you would expect him to have a Marie Antoinette-esque personality, but he seems to be more in tune with his surroundings and less naïve than one would imagine. He's an outgoing, natural born leader- a rare case. Man, I could only imagine what kind of deep conversation you could get him into if you knew him well enough. He's probably a lot wiser than he puts himself out to be.

• Like 2

True! He shows a little bit of his wisdom and deepnes during the interviews (especially with Zane Lowe) and it`s interesting to observe it, but we can see that there`s so much more deepnes inside of him which he even cannot express through a conversation so he uses songs and melodies. Or you should know him better to be able to talk deeply with him, like you said.

• Like 1

I'm glad this thread was made because I have always been interesting in their psychology (if that doesn't sound creepy) and how it affects their music. I'm not a very strong or fearless person myself, and I found it amazing how the band managed to desensitize themselves after all of the emotional turmoil and criticism they faced. I feel like the X and Y era was a critical turning point in their music making career. It was almost like a climax and everything seemed to be barreling down on them at once. I don't know if I'm over analyzing this, but perhaps it emphasizes that whole existential crisis theme hanging around X and Y.

• Like 1

I feel like the X and Y era was a critical turning point in their music making career. It was almost like a climax and everything seemed to be barreling down on them at once. I don't know if I'm over analyzing this, but perhaps it emphasizes that whole existential crisis theme hanging around X and Y.

I agree! They could have really gone a totally different way after/during X&Y, maybe even split up. I guess Phil helped them getting back on track, but yeah success and expectations can be so hard to handle. I also think that was a critical point for them and they just are in such a different place now, probably diametrically opposite. They also have found so much cohesion together as band members but I also think as friends that has made them fearless: as long as they are together, the band can handle anything. This is the feeling I get when I see/hear them in interviews now. I guess its all part of growing up too , they are men now, they were young lads then :)

• Like 2