✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Chris Martin Piano- Exactly How He Plays Songs

rpindacity

Hey guys! I have been on a quest lately... to figure out how Chris Martin plays the piano so beautifully! I think this thread can be good for anyone else trying to figure out how Chris plays a specific part of a song, or a whole song, or whatever you like. I think it should be more focused on quality rather than quantity, since there are so many tutorials out there but not a lot of them show how he actually plays these songs live and in recording. ColdplayKB has a ton of good stuff if you have not already checked him out. But for the time being, I am going to post some songs I have yet to learn how to play and could not find good tutorials on youtube. So please join me on this quest.... and post songs/parts you want to learn and help others learn them by either showing us how to play or just giving us a link to a good tutorial online. I know this is long, but I think the Coldplaying community would love to learn Chris's secrets! Thanks and love you guys

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to start off, this is my list :) RealRece and I are trying to get a couple of these figured out

Us against the world acoustic piano-

We found love cover -

AIMH acoustic- [MEDIA=soundcloud]

[/MEDIA]

Mobile Link: https://soundcloud.com/fidyamarita/chris-martin-always-in-my-head-acoustic-performance

Paradise acoustic- especially the second verse (unique chord changes) -

Yellow acoustic- he does cool variations, like after the first chorus -

X&Y- third chord of chorus

Talk acoustic piano-

Anothers arms piano

Amazing day acoustic-

Every teardop piano-

Death and all his friends

Lost? piano acoustic part after the solo- this is amazing!

Strawberry swing acoustic- iheartradio version (may not be on youtube anymore)

Swallowed in the sea acoustic-

I also watch his live performances, like these ones just amaze me

Swalloed in the sea live -

- the ending piano is soooo good

x and y live- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2wkwGDjmvk

- ending piano

I really want to know the variations he does live and exact chords and stuff

• Like 4

I feel you 100%!

I play piano, and I literally was going to comment about how much I want to learn the ending to the Toronto version Swallowed in the Sea and the Madrid X&Y until I saw you posted both of those videos. The MX era piano version of Warning Sign is just sublime too.

I'll play the versions from the Coldplay music books, and they are great, but they just don't nearly capture everything Chris does on the piano live.

This is a great project idea if we can compile how to do all of Chris' cool live versions of these songs. This summer after school ends I'd love to try to figure some out.

• Like 2

I feel you 100%!

I play piano, and I literally was going to comment about how much I want to learn the ending to the Toronto version Swallowed in the Sea and the Madrid X&Y until I saw you posted both of those videos. The MX era piano version of Warning Sign is just sublime too.

I'll play the versions from the Coldplay music books, and they are great, but they just don't nearly capture everything Chris does on the piano live.

This is a great project idea if we can compile how to do all of Chris' cool live versions of these songs. This summer after school ends I'd love to try to figure some out.

Ya that warning sign version from the mylo tour is something else. I think ColdplayKKB had a good tutorial of it here -

And ya I figured other Coldplayer would be curious to know some of Chris's playing on the piano. It's very interesting to figure out how he plays things so differently... and most times it just sounds so amazing!

Great finds - I've never heard that acoustic Chris/Jonny version of Swallowed in the Sea...very pretty. :)

I'll also add 42 and Christmas Lights are excellent piano songs. :) Especially this version at the Paralympics:

Another great version of X&Y and though this is a piano thread I'll point out Jonny does some really neat guitar in the intro and outros! Note also the super cool piano in the middle interlude!

LIJ is great and has such a smart piano part but I wish Chris would play it instead of having it on the backing track. :(

Let me know if there's one particular song or moment in a song y'all want to learn, and I can work on a tutorial!

• Like 2

Great finds - I've never heard that acoustic Chris/Jonny version of Swallowed in the Sea...very pretty. :)

I'll also add 42 and Christmas Lights are excellent piano songs. :) Especially this version at the Paralympics:

Another great version of X&Y and though this is a piano thread I'll point out Jonny does some really neat guitar in the intro and outros! Note also the super cool piano in the middle interlude!

LIJ is great and has such a smart piano part but I wish Chris would play it instead of having it on the backing track. :(

Let me know if there's one particular song or moment in a song y'all want to learn, and I can work on a tutorial!

I wanted to learn the cover of cant get you outta my head

a tutorial would be awesome, if that is not too much to ask :)
Lol, i made a tutorial for aiko, but having an unweighted keyboard with no pedal setting doesnt work out well. I had to put my keyboard on the harp setting.

I know many songs exactly like he plays by looking at his hands but, with this 100€ keyboard i cant do much.

• Like 1

Lol, i made a tutorial for aiko, but having an unweighted keyboard with no pedal setting doesnt work out well. I had to put my keyboard on the harp setting.

I know many songs exactly like he plays by looking at his hands but, with this 100€ keyboard i cant do much.

you definitely deserve to buy yourself a new keyboard lol

you definitely deserve to buy yourself a new keyboard lol
I want but i dont want to "steal" more money from my parents, i know they wont buy sonething so expensive for them so i feel bad asking an expencive keyboard for myself. So im saving money.