✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay & Scott Hutchison (Champion of the World)

WeekendHymn94

I commented this on reddit but I thought it would be relevant here -

I noticed that two other members of Frightened Rabbit are credited on Apple Music - Simon Liddell and Andy Monaghan. The other members aren’t credited, which leads me to believe there could be something from Scott’s Owl John record on this song, as they both helped out with producing and writing that record too.

Maybe it’s some of Scott’s lyrics from that album? Any tribute to Scott will be incredible, I’m so excited for this song!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1

I commented this on reddit but I thought it would be relevant here -

I noticed that two other members of Frightened Rabbit are credited on Apple Music - Simon Liddell and Andy Monaghan. The other members aren’t credited, which leads me to believe there could be something from Scott’s Owl John record on this song, as they both helped out with producing and writing that record too.

Maybe it’s some of Scott’s lyrics from that album? Any tribute to Scott will be incredible, I’m so excited for this song!

I'm not familiar with Apple Music, if those credits are on there does that mean they're official?

I'm not familiar with Apple Music, if those credits are on there does that mean they're official?

Yeah Apple Music is Apple's streaming service which uses iTunes files - I'm not an expert but the tracks are presumably given to Apple from the label directly and put up for purchase/streaming through iTunes and Apple Music. So I'd say it's a 99% chance to be official (unless they change it before release, which is highly unlikely!)

So we have the answer (yes I'm posting about this in 3 different threads, whatever). Spoiler alert, obviously

it's indeed a sample from an Owl John song. I love the way they used it, and I hope Scott would have loved it too. In any case it's one of the best examples of his music living on.

The lyrics are hitting extra hard now, fuck. Man I had never expected Coldplay to sample this Scottish indie band, in one of the best Coldplay songs I've heard in years...

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

It feels crass and inappropriate to speculate but I can't help myself, do you think this song could be about Scott? Several of the lyrics seem to point that way. If so, it's a really touching tribute. I had no idea Scott had any sort of relationship with Coldplay, but his death seems to have affected them enough to write this song. Or maybe they were working on it before his death and it's all just a coincidence.

• Like 1

So we have the answer (yes I'm posting about this in 3 different threads, whatever). Spoiler alert, obviously

it's indeed a sample from an Owl John song. I love the way they used it, and I hope Scott would have loved it too. In any case it's one of the best examples of his music living on.

The lyrics are hitting extra hard now, fuck. Man I had never expected Coldplay to sample this Scottish indie band, in one of the best Coldplay songs I've heard in years...

Wow, I can’t believe I was right! I haven’t listened to the album yet but this just became my most anticipated song... although I’m going to be an emotional wreck listening to it I’m sure...

• Like 1