Turin Brakes

Hicksy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The Turin Brakes thread was in the 2nd page... I can't believe it!!! :angry: :P

To everyone who is interested... (I guess only Charlie will be...)

--------------------

On Saturday 8 November, the Turin Brakes played a very special live set in Shirley Short's living room in Bath. The excusive gig was the prize in a competition that ran in the first issue of The Observer Music Monthly courtesy of FOPP

It was the ultimate impossible-to-blag gig of the year. You couldn't get a ticket for love nor eBay. Last week, when the band played a gig in Shirley's living room in Bath, the only people on the guest-list were Shirley herself, seven of her friends, and her upstairs neighbours.

When The Observer Music Monthly launched in September, they ran a competition with Fopp record stores, offering one reader the chance to hear a set from the band, performed in their very own home. Our winner,a 25 year old copywriter and huge fan, saw them play most recently in front of thousands of fans at V2003. Now, three months later, it's tea time and Olly, Gale & Phil (keyboards) - are sitting in her kitchen, enjoying a rider of Waitrose sausage rolls and crisps.

Her friends who've travelled down from all over the country, are almost as excited as she is. Russell, Shirley's boyfriend, is making the teas,acting as roadie. Her friend Yvonne from work is playing door bitch, in case of any unwanted gatecrashers. The only thing missing is a dodgy looking bloke outside the front door, selling posters and t-shirts? he'd have made a killing.

'Good evening Bath? we're Turin Brakes. I've just been saying to Shirley how it's always been our dream to play here', jokes Olly, at the start of their set. 'We're going to do a song called The Stone?.cos Shirley wanted us to do The Stone.' Over the next hour the band plays a heartachingly great set that includes some of their best known hits, including Painkiller and Emergency 72, as well as Shirley's personal requests. Olly and Gale's beautiful soaring harmonies, and the poignancy of their lyrics can fill the likes of Hammersmith Apollo, but also make perfect sense in such a private space. Olly comments later that the first album was 'meant to be like someone whispering in your ear' and the intimacy of this nano-venue fulfils that description perfectly.

Olly's verdict: 'at first we were really nervous, more so than before a big gig. We wondered what we'd got ourselves in to. But then we started talking to Shirley, and playing the music, and everything turned around. We remembered why we love doing this, and it was all about the music. I felt really happy? it was loads of fun.' While Gale pops to the loo, Shirley gives us her thoughts ? 'It was the gig of a lifetime, absolutely amazing. And I'm really glad I cleaned my toilet before they turned up.'