Turin Brakes

Hicksy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Sea Change video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fawhVcprjDA]YouTube- Turin Brakes - Sea Change [HD][/ame]

Six billion backs against the wall

Now do we walk or run?

This puzzle's falling into place

Once more around the sun

Remember when you were a kid

Those days are all but gone

But if we don't do this

Somebody else will

Three billion backs against the wall

A prayer for everyone

We saw the changing of the sea

But not a thing was done

Remember when you could rely?

And if we don't do this

Somebody else will

If we don't do this

Somebody else will

Somebody else will

One billion backs against the wall

At least I feel dry

I was an island to myself

This storm would pass me by

Remembering the things I did

I knew I would survive

But if we don't do this

Somebody else will

If we don't do this

Somebody else will,

Somebody else will

One million backs against the wall

Now do we walk or run?

One thousand backs against the wall

Now do we walk or run?

One hundred backs against the wall

Now do you walk or run?

It's just your back against the wall

Now do you walk or run?

Remember when you were a kid

But if we don't do this

Nobody else will

If we don't do this

Nobody else will

Nobody else will

• 1 year later...

00160732%20-%20250x319.jpg

Turin Brakes: Renewed Optimism

What’s On is all of a flutter at the prospect of seeing Turin Brakes perform their impossibly lovely Optimist LP in Cambridge in November.

Olly Knights’ and Gale Paridjanian are part of a sudden rush of bands mining their back catalogues for ‘landmark album’ shows: The Lemonheads will be performing their career-making 1992 set It’s A Shame About Ray at The Junction the following month, and I recently had the pleasure of watching Mercury Rev shimmer their way through the gorgeous slice of Americana that was 1998’s Deserter’s Songs.

Revs frontman Jonathan Donohue earned brownie points for honesty when he admitted that, all things being equal, he’d rather be winning over audiences with new material than trading on old glories. But, with the music industry still trying to find a way to make payola in the download age, they seem to have decided that heritage rock – whether it’s endlessly repackaged ‘anniversary editions’ of classic albums or these soup-to-nuts live playbacks – is definitely the way forward. Or is it the way back?

This is particularly poignant in the case of Turin Brakes, whose optimism would eventually prove misplaced: they never again reached the commercial or critical heights of that magnificent debut – so you can hardly blame them for turning back the clock 10 years to celebrate their high achieving first-born’s 10th birthday. Here’s a little reminder of why it’s an anniversary worth celebrating:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evn5DTVCbLk]Turin Brakes - Underdog (Save Me) - YouTube[/ame]

:: Turin Brakes play The Junction, Cambridge, on November 7. See http://www.junction.co.uk/

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Whats-on-leisure/Rants-and-Raves/Turin-Brakes-Renewed-Optimism-05102011.htm

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Turin Brakes: We Were Here (Cooking Vinyl)

turin-brakes-300x300.png

Turin Brakes: We Were Here – album review

9/10

Turin Brakes release their first album studio album in three years. Louder Than War’s Paul Scott-Bates was keen to listen.

When I first met my wife, she professed a fondness for Walsall’s finest, The Wonder Stuff. I wasn’t over familiar with their back catalogue and asked what they sounded like. She said they “sounded like The Wonder Stuff”, and I knew exactly what she meant. The same can be said of Turin Brakes such is the sound and style that they have made their own, but, let’s just say imagine Pink Floyd with the occasional guest appearance by George Harrison and you may not be far wrong. You’ll know doubt know them from 2001’s ‘The Optimist’ album, or, 2003’s hit single ‘Painkiller’ and it’s probably a shame that you may know little else about them. ‘We Were Here’ from London duo Olly Nights and Gale Paridjanian is an absolute triumph in perfect, concise songwriting and should be contender for one of the years finest releases. Starting the proceedings with lead single ‘Time And Money’, a well written, catchy and melodious number, the scene is set for an album of twelve tracks, each one as good as its predecessor, and each one equally as memorable. To be honest, you’d be excused for thinking that this was a Best Of compilation should you be a stranger to their work. The title track, and its clear acoustics, is a fine example in the art of songwriting, and, its immediate familiarity makes the track instantly enjoyable. You’ll be humming it long after it’s finished.

The production of the album is sparkling, and the clarity of the music is marvellous, and, Ali Staton must be congratulated for his input. ‘Sleeper’ has definite nods to the early 70s, and rocks like the best of them, and, ‘Blindsided Again’ perhaps looks in the direction of The Beatles’ ‘The Long And Winding Road’. It’s a pure delight to hear an album of such lasting quality, and let’s hope that final track ‘Goodbye’ is merely a title and not a threat.

http://louderthanwar.com/turin-brakes-we-were-here-album-review/

turinbrakes-2013-500x250.jpg

Turin Brakes: We Were Here

Haunting, surreal folk rock both "down home" and "outer space".

When Turin Brakes’ eighth album We Were Here first crept its way into my earphones I was enchanted by two things: the guitar work and the unconventional voice of the lead singer. That voice sounds like it belongs to a veteran female country music singer who has ripped out the best of Janis Joplin in her day before settling into the comfortable folk rock groove that Turin Brakes cultivates so well. Of course, Turin Brakes fans will easily point out that the voice doesn’t belong to a veteran female country singer… or any female at all, but to a guy named Olly Knights who serves as on half of the core of the band, along with fellow acoustic guitarist Gale Paridjanian.

The mere fact of being “Unconventional” or even “Strange” isn’t quite enough to sell records or attain the acclaim Turin Brakes has since right around the turn of the century. Knights’ voice is haunting and skilled with a smooth, yet occasionally scratchy and folky bend that sounds straight out of the Appalachian heartland… although the duo hails from Balham, London, England. Musically, the sounds on We Were Here range from the near country sounds of the opening track, “Time and Money” to the trippy psychedelic turn on “Blindsided Again”. The multitude of layers in the repertoire of this ostensible acoustic duo can be attributed, in part, to their expanded band, consisting of Rob Allum (drums) and Eddie Myer (bass). However, that is only part of the story, especially when “Blindsided Again” lives up to its name and shatters into a wellspring of psychedelic jams that takes the masterful production of Ali Staton and Turin Brakes themselves to keep together and listenable.

Yet as soon as “Blindsided Again” ends, the band slides right back into the acoustic “Part of the World”, which is so straightforward and deceptively minimalist that one can picture it being played around a campfire up until the musical break that carries the tune soaring to a crescendo. There is no dearth of experimentation on We Were Here and while the band adheres closely to their “folk rock” sensibilities throughout, no two songs sound quite the same. One example is their use of a brass section on the poppy and addictive “Guess you Heard” which, in turn, gives way to yet another slow-paced acoustic track called “No Mercy”.

Turin Brakes’ lyrics range from the optimistic and hopeful to the depressed and sorrowful, yet always with a certain surreal oddity to the entire proceedings. “Sleeper” is a sad alt-country tune about having to wake up and face the world when “sleeping is easier”. Knights’ voice gives us a creepy, nearly delta-blues sounding cry of “I’m dealing with the devil, I’m all alone on my ship” but then elicits a universal “WAIT WHAT?” when he immediately follows that line with “I’ll join the robots out on the pavement.”

While in general, We Were Here is highly listenable and multilayered (especially for a genre that prizes minimalism), there are a few slow points in the mix, both figuratively and literally. “Inbetween” is another country tune with just a bit of blues and alternative rock thrown in to keep it unique, yet the variation doesn’t continue throughout the song, which becomes a bit overly sentimental and nostalgic. “Erase Everything” is another dejected poem with sorrowful lyrics that evoke the concept of “Paint It Black” if the Stones were an acoustic duet. Unfortunately, while “Erase Everything” isn’t really a bad song, it is missing the layers of “Paint It Black” and, in fact, much of the rest of We Were Here. There are beautiful moments in the song, but it’s more depressing than the complete Depeche Mode, followed by a binge on the Cure. The aptly titled “Goodbye” finishes off the album and gives us a new take on Knights’ unique voice as he shows off his range. While there are some more layers to this tune, it is, in fact, one more sorrowful and sentimental track with little real variation in its driving (yet slow) folk sound. In that “Inbetween”, “Erase Everything” and “Goodbye” are the final three tracks of the record, We Were Here proves, intentionally or not, to end on quite a minor chord.

Perhaps a rearrangement of the tracks could provide a more satisfying listen. “Stop the World” finds itself right in between “Part of the World” and “Guess You Heard” and it has the same pensively introspective lyrical style as many of the other tracks, but also makes great use of the blues and science fiction influences Turin Brakes show off here. Knights describes driving his car into space just before the soaring chorus that leads to an actual Theremin solo, of all things. “Dear Dad” comes even earlier in the arrangement and sounds like a top forty country song for most of its run. With its enticing guitar leads, infectious breaks and drawn out words , this fast-paced song is both lyrically deep and musically rich.

The title track might have made for a perfect finale and clincher for We Were Here. “We Were Here” perfectly encapsulates the music and lyrics of the entirety of its namesake album. This complexly constructed song experiments with speeds, tones of Knights’ voice, simple and intricate guitars and even exemplifies their subtly down-to-earth Science Fiction lyrics. If “Dressed in a space suit, out walking the pavement” doesn’t give you an idea of the dual worlds Turin Brakes straddles, then keep listening. This song is a trip.

In truth, there is very little “filler material” on We Were Here and Turin Brakes’ years of practice have culminated in some of their very best and most surreal and complex work. The record might have benefitted from a rearrangement of tracks, but then again, Turin Brakes do cultivate and, in fact, focus on “mood” for much of “We Were Here”. It is hard to imagine that the sad mood the listener is left with at the end of the final song is any kind of an accident.

7/10

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVEfTLCUNZY]Turin Brakes - Time And Money (Official Video) - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.popmatters.com/review/175743-turin-brakes-we-were-here/