✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

To all those in university....

Sweet One

Have you ever been so frustrated with your program that it made you doubt if you were actually cut out for it?

I'm taking journalism and my gosh, i don't think i can spend my life chasing after people to get an interview, or fight with my editor to publish something.

I'm quite tame. I tend to buckle under pressure and i'm not the biggest fan of confrontation.

Man, this is so confusing.

i feel that way sometimes. my major is music industry, which is a really cutthroat industry no matter what you're doing. i don't worry about it though because i still have another year and a half until i have a degree. than i can go to law school and stall for another few years.

Yeah, i was talking about it with my mother and she was like, you only have two more years, and then you'll have a degree and you can get a job. I don't think she understood exactly what i was getting at, but man, what if i get a degree in journalism and i dont' wanna do it anymore!? the thing with the program i'm in is that it's so specialized that i'm not really honing any other skills at this point.

I mean, i'm being taught how to be a bitch to get a story, but that's it. :lol:

confrontation sucks

like i was in bed thinking about how i might approach this girl tomorrow

but eventually i won't do it because i'm too shy

man, confrontation does suck. Especially when someone guts you on the spot. It's just crazy.

Oh, and good luck with the girly love. ;)

I wish I had some really good advice....

but I don't. :embarrased:

back in the good ol college days I was confused as well and started taking millions of classes... which didn't really help because that's not really what the real working world is all about..

if you really want to change avenues.. think of what you really like to do and not what your good at - if you really like doing it, then being good at it will just come naturally..

i'm thinking you'll have to deal with confrontation in any area, although i don't really know how it is in journalism - maybe it's more confrontational than others?

or you can do what i've heard other people do.. get the degree, but if you don't like it, just get a job in something else! i've heard of people majoring in psychology and then go into consulting afterwards.. so i guess it's possible. :idea2:

or go the nerdy route and go to graduate school and postpone things for another who knows how many years.. but you really have to like studying.. :P

My Advice is to ride the wind...

this is my third year and for the second year, I felt the same. But you know, you're going to grow into your job if that job is right for you and if you dont, then you can always do something else after you finish because a degree is still a degree and there are always job opportunities available. Don't think that because you are not suited to your degre though that it is the end of the world :)

What david said..a degree is a degree, very rarely do people actually ask what the degree was in or what grade was achieved...but it's better to try and get a degree in something practical to the life you want to live...if you want to work in an office environment, a degree in business, maths, economics etc is way better than a degree in history, or art, or zoo-ology...

There is always distance btw your dream/or just your like and the realistic world. I once thought I may choose journalism or even multimedia sth, but I am afraid that I can't fit myself in the commercialization/entertainment world and I feel disgusting even...so I keep a distance from it and take care it as my "after class" major other than taking it as a career stuff...

But when I grow up, I have to admit that I am not brave enough..There is no ready meal for you if you really mean to do sth other than dreaming...but sb. dare to try even sacrificing some orginally precioius things...

well, before you lost, I gave u an example. I knew a singer in my country, and his music couldn't be so popular at beginning since all the notes/lyrics are about questions/sadness stuff but a truth/beauty as a young man. He hated to be showing himself before mass media like an idiot or shit, non-stopping interview/gig...he just want to make music in stadio or travelling...But later he compromised and considered he is a contract artist and he has commercialization value..he must spend some time for Shit, then he can keep the very pure side of himself in a quiet inner place....

so, if you love sth, and you know that's the meaning of your life, then I say, don't be refrained, just go and get it, but you should prepare to feel depressed/frustrated/broken whatever, I think it deserves in the long run.

I still have a dream for music/art in my life, and I probably will not feel shy to say to a boy if I do love him although it always fail :cry: :) , which is so hard to me before though :blush: The only thing I get is No Regret in my life... :cool:

i'm not the biggest fan of confrontation.

confrontation sucks

like i was in bed thinking about how i might approach this girl tomorrow

but eventually i won't do it because i'm too shy :( :lol:

baah.....you're not too shy!

i feel that way sometimes. my major is music industry' date=' which is a really cutthroat industry no matter what you're doing. i don't worry about it though because i still have another year and a half until i have a degree. than i can go to law school and stall for another few years. :rolleyes:[/quote']

That is really cool that you can major in that. I didn't know you could. What kind of classes do you take for that?

Have you ever been so frustrated with your program that it made you doubt if you were actually cut out for it?

I'm taking journalism and my gosh, i don't think i can spend my life chasing after people to get an interview, or fight with my editor to publish something.

I'm quite tame. I tend to buckle under pressure and i'm not the biggest fan of confrontation.

Man, this is so confusing.

well, I havent finished reading this thread.. but my advice to you is don't give up. If writing is something you love to do.. stick to it. The rewards in the end will be all worth it. I too was a journalism major.. and all i can say is that I wish I had finished. I know I'll go back and continue.. its just a matter of 'finance' that I'm not there now. But, writing is what I love to do.. go with your gut.. and dont let your 'frustration' get the better of you. It'll be worth it in the end.. if its truely what yu were meant to do.

:cool:

I kind of feel like the courses I'm taking right now are a bit pointless. I plan to teach elementary school and I'm never going to have to work with any of the stuff I'm learning in biology or math, but I have to take them to get my b.a. in order to get into teaching. Aaaaah :/

well, I havent finished reading this thread.. but my advice to you is don't give up. If writing is something you love to do.. stick to it. The rewards in the end will be all worth it. I too was a journalism major.. and all i can say is that I wish I had finished. I know I'll go back and continue.. its just a matter of 'finance' that I'm not there now. But, writing is what I love to do.. go with your gut.. and dont let your 'frustration' get the better of you. It'll be worth it in the end.. if its truely what yu were meant to do.

Thanks Camille!! And kudos to Ian for giving you your name title. :kiss:

I kind of feel like the courses I'm taking right now are a bit pointless. I plan to teach elementary school and I'm never going to have to work with any of the stuff I'm learning in biology or math' date=' but I have to take them to get my b.a. in order to get into teaching. Aaaaah :/[/quote']

Yah, it sucks that you have to take all those general ed courses, but whop knows they might end up helping you when you have to teach the little kiddies

Yes, school frustrates me much so. I am currently in my 4th year of 4 years, so I should be graduating soon. But I am actually doing a year extra because I dropped this one class last year that I need to take. By the way I am taking it again next term. Anyway, there are two classes that follow this one, which are offered in the next 2 terms, but you have to take the first one (which I dropped) first and it is only offered one term a year.... so that's where that leaves me, a year behind essentially.

I have reduced my course load to 3 a term, instead of the usual 5. I work while I go to school, so that helps kill the time, I really dont mind the fact that it will take a bit longer to graduate as I am in no hurry to go anywhere else. Plus, my bf is a year behind me, so we can graduate together.

My program didnt exactly turn out how I expected it to when I first enrolled. I am in environmental studies and I thought it would be more sciency and less... social/political/philosophical. I'll be relieved when I get out.